• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Mono Sound to DTS 7.1: The HD Rumble Spatialization

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This thread is a collection of HD Rumble use cases, so that we can reflect on how the tech expands game design possibilities.

What problem does HD Rumble try to solve?
Current Rumble technology is like a mono sound: its effect is uniform, so you can't feel any spacialization.

HD Rumble manages to change this:

Frozenbyte - Horizontal feeling
HD Rumble works so that you "feel" when spells move across the screen, rather than a general rumble.

Shin'en - Positional feeling
when you get in contact with something you now feel where it happens and what happens. It's not a simple On/Off rumble but you get tactile feedback about the position, where your vehicle really touched something. It adds a lot to the immersion."

Sam Prell impressions - Vertical feeling
I squeezed and stroked, feeling Nintendo's much-touted HD Rumble vibration feature shudder along the length of the Joy-Con. Rather than a generalized vibration, it felt as though the imaginary liquid was emptying out the bottom of my Joy-Con.

NorthernLion - Horizontal feeling, speed
it allows you to feel where the seed is on the screen (left or right) and how fast you're rolling. if you're rolling fast at all in our game, you're usually outta control so it sorta provides a 6th sense that allows you to feel your inertia

These quotes demonstrate HD Rumble adds tactile spatialization. Thus my comparison with a surround set-up like this:
7.1-surround-sound.png

It's easy to see the gameplay implications. Alerts we can get through tactile. Immersion and cool factor get also mentioned by devs.

Yet Nintendo is quiet about it: we learnt more through indie interviews, than from Nintendo directly. I guess they are paranoïd again, and don't want to give competitors use case ideas, too early.

So I'll report more quotes, as I find them in coming weeks, until we get a full understanding of what HD Rumble can bring in our favorite genres. Post your ideas and findings too :)

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It would be nice if they had some sort of demo/test app of this built in to the OS. I just want a rundown of different sensations it can produce without having to wait for games to utilize it!

It would be nice if they had some sort of demo/test app of this built in to the OS. I just want a rundown of different sensations it can produce without having to wait for games to utilize it!

If they ever make an Eternal Darkness sequel, they have to blow out the HD Rumble support. Also, I could see the Switch finding a nice niche of people who enjoy fishing games.

zenspider

I feel like 1-2 Switch will cover enough to get the picture of what's possible, but yeah, not free or included.

If the eShop works day one, I'm grabbing it. I can post impressions if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom