• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME: Reggie addresses Switch concerns. (Joy con / scratching)

On availability of the standalone dock for the Switch

Fils-Aimé: At Nintendo of America, we were the initial market that was pushing for the idea of a second dock. The production quantity is just not ramping up as quickly as we hoped it would.

How the fuck are they having production problems for $0.50 worth of plastic and a USB hub?

Xando

Literally every answer is "We are aware of the reports and are investigating" in this interview.

How did they not encounter this during testing?

Solo Act

"Again, this is why we're encouraging consumers to reach out to us directly. We have done, as you know, literally hundreds of events, starting with our activity back in January, and most recently the various tours that we continue to take the system out on. As soon as I heard of this report, I asked my teams, "Have we seen this in our own experience?" And the candid answer has been no."

---

So, they need a lot of consumers to call in about the scratched screens because they can't recreate the issue on their own?

Fisty

Video of him being asked in the interview:

post-60462-President-Dave-Chappelle-knock-nBve.gif

Courage

If they're still 'investigating' then the Joycon issue must be hardware related.

The scratching I can only see ameliorated with a screen protector or a revised dock that'll come with the Switch Pro.

hoserx

Literally every answer is "We are aware of the reports and are investigating" in this interview.

My only idea is, perhaps it's because the docks they were using weren't shipped in a method that caused them to be bent, like many retail units have been/are.

"Again, this is why we're encouraging consumers to reach out to us directly. We have done, as you know, literally hundreds of events, starting with our activity back in January, and most recently the various tours that we continue to take the system out on. As soon as I heard of this report, I asked my teams, "Have we seen this in our own experience?" And the candid answer has been no."

---

So, they need a lot of consumers to call in about the scratched screens because they can't recreate the issue on their own?
That seems to be the case of what he's saying.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

---

I read it more as: At events we had prototype batches that were assembled by engineers and not using production hardware, therefor we didn't see it.

Also why would there be a difference in quality between the two? ;-)

Berordn

As someone who might be having some screen scratching going on but has had zero issues with the Joycons, it seems to be very random.

There's a good chance they all passed lot check and only encountered these reports in the wild.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That's a "hoping it'll all blow over" response laddos.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
My anecdotal evidence that they know something is up with the joy-cons - I called and the support tech was pretty quick to set up a repair. He only asked a few basic troubleshooting Qs before calling it. They must be getting a lot of calls about it.

Flo_Evans

I find it very hard to believe they never encountered any issues of people scratching the demo units AT ALL.

Wasn't there a pic of a scratched one in a demo kiosk?

My anecdotal evidence that they know something is up with the joy-cons - I called and the support tech was pretty quick to set up a repair. He only asked a few basic troubleshooting Qs before calling it. They must be getting a lot of calls about it.

They've known something was up with the Joycons since pre-launch because they said the day one firmware update would fix it.

mlclmtckr

Banned
It seems like the box wasn't robust enough to be stacked ten deep and shipped. So the dock got bent and apparently bad enough to scratch the screen.

I think there is a little bit of statistical noise here though. Some people have posted pictures of really badly scratched systems saying they don't know how it happened and those accounts have been folded into this issue.

big_erk

---

Working in IT, this happens to me a lot. A user will complain that something is happening and no matter how hard we try to re-create their issue in a controlled environment, we can't. So it helps if everyone who has the problem reports it. It gives us multiple avenues to investigate and hopefully solve the issue.

---

I mean...it's not like he's lying. They had a bunch of tours. I think people would noticed scratches on the screen with all the docking taking place. They've probably played it a ton themselves throughout the years of development. Anecdotal but I've done it a ton of times and have zero scratches.

How else would they know without more information. I'm sure they're testing it internally but it helps to know people's stories before coming to a conclusion of some kind.

Not a ton of substance here from Reggie, but this interview was a MUCH better version of what WaPo put out earlier this week. Asked actual questions instead of, "Why should I buy your new thing?"

On whether Nintendo might offer a USB-C/HDMI combo cable (so the system could output to a TV without the dock, if, say, you've brought it to a friend's house)

Fils-Aimé: Nintendo believes that our systems are best utilized with our first-party accessories. We believe for the physical security of the system, that it's best connected to the TV through our dock solution. So I say this having no doubt that there's going to be a lot of unlicensed third party solutions that will start appearing that could do potentially what you're describing.

As a company, as a philosophy, we would rather have consumers use our first-party solutions. In part because, what happens if the system falls off of where it's being secured, and all of a sudden we have a consumer with a potentially damaged unit. So we want consumers to use our solution, and that's a docking solution with the cable connected to the TV.

Sounds like a no from Nintendo, but hopefully third parties take the initiative.

Anyone else having sisuns with hdmi port on the dock? When you close the lid on the back the hdmi cable gets pushed upwards a tad. This puts a little pressure on the hdmi port and have now made The hdmi too losing connection with the tv unless I find the correct position for the hdmi cable. Once I do find the right position, I can't move the dock as it will again lose connection.

That's a "hoping it'll all blow over" response laddos.

No, it's not.

But since all you ever do is troll Switch threads, your response is not surprisings and a lame attempt at some shade.

Nintendo has pretty great customer service, they will do something when they figure out the exact issue.

hoserx

It's not rocket science to know that plastic may scratch other surfaces. Not sure why it's scratching glass, but the idea of NOT having any cushioning on the rails is silly

I totally agree, but the majority of scratched screens are coming from Switch owners with bent docks.

---

You think they're just collecting data from people on forums? I used to work for a major Japanese company and HQ looked over all our cases regularly so that they could become aware of issues. You'd think most companies don't bother, but it became a big deal because they were going in and employees weren't properly documenting cases. Made a big fuss out over it and the US location would get on your ass if you weren't leaving good notes.

In any case, all kinds of major issues slip past and reporting it to support is always your best bet.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
How the fuck are they having production problems for $0.50 worth of plastic and a USB hub?

those docks are packed with other stuffs to be sold as a standalone Switch units first rather than sold as a standalone dock?

Switch is facing supply issues, so the higher priority will be to fulfil those demands rather than selling them as extra dock units for current Switch owners.

Teletraan1

Banned
I think testing environments don't really mirror what happens in in real world scenarios. Once you get these things in the average McMansion all hell breaks loose while I am sure there aren't as many issues with Joycons discoing in a Japanese Coffin apartment. The screen scratch issue is baffling to me because of how cheap that dock is constructed. I thought it would be a little more robust. Of course it will eventually scratch if you are just pulling something in and out of a piece of plastic with very little in the way of cushion or padding.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Working in IT, this happens to me a lot. A user will complain that something is happening and no matter how hard we try to re-create their issue in a controlled environment, we can't. So it helps if everyone who has the problem reports it. It gives us multiple avenues to investigate and hopefully solve the issue.
While that is true. One of the issues is a visibly bend dock. There aren't many variables about plastic on plastic action.

Peltz

I'm not having any issues with screen scratching or the joycons. So I could see how they'd miss it. It's not affecting all units. Hopefully they'll rectify the situation.

Scrawnton

I'm not having any issues with screen scratching or the joycons. So I could see how they'd miss it. It's not affecting all units. Hopefully they'll rectify the situation.
Yes I have neither issue and I undock the system several times a day. Hopefully they can help everyone out who is experiencing these issues.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

They did. It's no different to publishers acknowledging bugs/performance issues in games after release -- "We are aware" reads much better than "We knew but felt it was more appropriate to adhere to our schedule". Reggie is no different to any other figurehead in the industry: his job isn't to be your friend and candidly tell you the truth but rather sell a product.

Solo Act

I mean...it's not like he's lying. They had a bunch of tours. I think people would noticed scratches on the screen with all the docking taking place. They've probably played it a ton themselves throughout the years of development. Anecdotal but I've done it a ton of times and have zero scratches.

How else would they know without more information. I'm sure they're testing it internally but it helps to know people's stories before coming to a conclusion of some kind.

I haven't taken mine out of the dock since I out it in there personally, so I don't know if I have scratches or not either. However, from what I've read it seems to be nearly everyone so I'm surprised they're having so much trouble recreating the issue.

And he really said the same thing about the joy-con connectivity, but I intentionally quoted him on the scratching. I can see how they need time to figure out a bluetooth connectivity issue. The dock physically scratching the screen seems to be easy enough to recreate in 1 minute flat to me.

ckaneo

It does affect all units though. You can replicate the effects right now if you want.

That said, the screen doesn't get scratched, the bezel does. And Bluetooth interference is typical for Bluetooth devices.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Stock is gonna be total shit for a while it appears. Both for the console as well as accessories.

Buckle up. We're in for a bumpy ride.

Top Bottom