• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME: Reggie addresses Switch concerns. (Joy con / scratching)

ckaneo

My screen does not get any scratches nor do I think it ever will by now.
But my left joy-con is starting to have major issues. For those with the same issues, did they occur from day one? Cause mine was perfectly fine until yesterday. Now it's almost unplayable. Even button presses won't register half of the time.
Sounds like it needs charging

big_erk

Yeah, I'm disappointed in the dock. Even besides the screen scratch issues, the thing feels like cheap plastic. The actual act of guiding the Switch into the dock could be smoother. Cable management is nice, though.

I agree that the dock could have a better design. I bet the thinking was "If we leave the front of the dock open so that the display is showing people will ask why aren't we using this like the Wii U gamepad. So let's cover the screen."

I don't have a problem with the screen being covered, but there should be a system of guide rails to ensure that the screen doesn't touch the dock itself.

On an unrelated note, I popped my kickstand off for the first time today. Put too much pressure on it while in tabletop mode. I can see why they designed it the way they did. It's a break away feature that is easily re-installed.

It's not weird, it's called they weren't ready, just like they weren't ready for NES classic.

They were forced to put this out earlier than expected and these are the results of it.

Yes because sell out of first the production batch of a new console/handy/tablet is so uncommon, like it never happened before with a popular device...

NES Classic US a whole different matter and not even barely comparable.

Honestly the "scratching" thing seems a rare occurrence unlike the 3DS one.

It's very hard plastic rubbing against a softer plastic screen. Not only is it not rare, it's kind of a given that it will happen and a near certainty eventually for anyone who uses that dock constantly. Would you store/pack your Switch with the dock lying directly on top of the screen with nothing in between them? Of course not, and sliding your device into a plastic slot and trying to make sure they don't rub against each other is just a game of chance. It's a pretty bad design to not have some kind of protection in there for the screen.

I agree that the dock could have a better design. I bet the thinking was "If we leave the front of the dock open so that the display is showing people will ask why aren't we using this like the Wii U gamepad. So let's cover the screen."

I don't have a problem with the screen being covered, but there should be a system of guide rails to ensure that the screen doesn't touch the dock itself.

Isn't there though? There are rubber guide rails which align perfectly with the bezel so that you don't scratch the screen. I still don't see how docking/undocking can scratch the screen unless the dock is warped. Which is a big problem, yes.

While that is true. One of the issues is a visibly bend dock. There aren't many variables about plastic on plastic action.

The docks they have access to may not be bent and thus they may not be able to recreate the issue.

At any rate, they need to come up with a fix. Personally I've been lucky and haven't had any issues but I did wonder about the long term effects and ended up buying a screen protector.

Lucifon

It's not rocket science to know that plastic may scratch other surfaces. Not sure why it's scratching glass, but the idea of NOT having any cushioning on the rails is silly
You say this but people have now tried to replicate the issue and go out their way to cause the issue so that they can discover what's causing it and unless I'm mistaken many have reported they've been unable to recreate it even when trying to.

koss424

It's very hard plastic rubbing against a softer plastic screen. Not only is it not rare, it's kind of a given that it will happen and a near certainty eventually for anyone who uses that dock constantly. Would you store/pack your Switch with the dock lying directly on top of the screen with nothing in between them? Of course not, and sliding your device into a plastic slot and trying to make sure they don't rub against each other is just a game of chance. It's a pretty bad design to not have some kind of protection in there for the screen.

I think it's actually pretty rare.

Isn't there though? There are rubber guide rails which align perfectly with the bezel so that you don't scratch the screen. I still don't see how docking/undocking can scratch the screen unless the dock is warped. Which is a big problem, yes.

They are plastic rails with rubber feet at the bottom. They are the same material as the rest of the dock. Their addition makes no sense unless their purpose was actually to provide more thickness and rigidity to keep the front panel from getting bent, which would be a failure, I guess.

I think it's actually pretty rare.

You think it's rare for plastic to scratch plastic? Plastic that's designed to be smooth and reflective like glass? Ok, then.

big_erk

I mean smaller rails that do not contact the surface of the screen. The rubber rails are great, but I would rather not have anything touching the actual screen surface. That being said I haven't had any issues with screen scratching or the screen touching anywhere but the rubber rails at the bottom of the dock.

AmuroChan

Yep. Never blind purchase the first release of any new kind of electronic unless you want to deal with surprises like these.

It shouldn't have been a surprise though. The issues were reported prior to the public release of the system from various sources.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If it weren't for the low stock, people could just exchange them but it's a hassle for people who already have scratched ones.

The big problem is that you can't backup your saves. Someone even reported that Nintendo CS can't transfer your saves to a new unit yet either.

Teletraan1

Banned
All these issues hopefully allow for some cheap refurb units to appear in time. I plan on using the thing docked 100% of the time so frankly the screen could be entirely dead pixels and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Griss

These issues bum me out so much. I live on a small Caribbean island so can only buy when I go abroad (shipping + customs is prohibitive). I'm abroad this week for a couple of days but if I buy a switch and it doesn't work / scratches / has broken joycons I have no hope of returning it for months if ever.

As such despite the fact that i love the idea of the hardware I feel like I've got to hold off until the next batch are out and hopefully these issues are fixed.

zelas

They are not saying it is a real problem, only that they have some user reports and that they need more to investigate.

Honestly the "scratching" thing seems a rare occurrence unlike the 3DS one. The Joycon issue is another matter, most people can not replicate it. So it could be an interference with other devices that not happen very often. But it needs a fix nonetheless.

But they aren't immediately assuming the user is doing something wrong either. The little Reggie has said is very different than some of the responses I've seen.

More of an answer than I expected to be honest, which would have been "Buy a screen protector lol".

Yep, one of the many.

pompidu

Is their some insert that is placed in the dock in the box? My guess is when they get stacked the pressure is on the dock causing the bending. They should slip a fittied box in the dock to keep that from happening.

KingV

No, it's not.

But since all you ever do is troll Switch threads, your response is not surprisings and a lame attempt at some shade.

Nintendo has pretty great customer service, they will do something when they figure out the exact issue.

I snapped a Wii U game disc in half once through my own fault and Nintendo replaced it for free.

I'm a believer in their customer service since then.

gatti-man

The big problem is that you can't backup your saves. Someone even reported that Nintendo CS can't transfer your saves to a new unit yet either.

This is the biggest issue. Not the dock, not the sync issue, I lose my saves I usually don't start over.

I snapped a Wii U game disc in half once through my own fault and Nintendo replaced it for free.

I'm a believer in their customer service since then.

Best customer service out of the big 3.

And it's something I've always heard about, ever since the SNES days. But the narrative around here is that anything Nintendo is absolutely shit and they're just trying to fuck us over.

Dartastic

Best customer service out of the big 3.

And it's something I've always heard about, ever since the SNES days. But the narrative around here is that anything Nintendo is absolutely shit and they're just trying to fuck us over.
Easily.

That's why I'm not too worried about these issues. Yeah, the left joycon thing is annoying, but I have faith in Nintendo actually addressing this issue once they get to the bottom of it. There's significant work that needs to happen in order to properly address the issue, such as finding out if it's a bad batch or bad batches, exactly what the problem is and how to fix it, etc. It's not something that'll take a day or two to fix and then be done with. I'm confident that they're working on a solution right now.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is their some insert that is placed in the dock in the box? My guess is when they get stacked the pressure is on the dock causing the bending. They should slip a fittied box in the dock to keep that from happening.

If anything, the box stacking would break the Switch itself, not the dock the way it is packed. But in reality this is a manufacturing/design issue.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Honestly, it's rare that they do this much. Usually they just ignore it.

I don't even know what this refers to. Nintendo has good customer service and big hardware flaws are usually addressed in revisions. If this is about 3DS LCDs or something then you might want to try a more reasonable target.

levyjl1988

Banned
You can tell the quality of the manufacturing when:

1. The Nintendo Switch tablet doesn't have a plastic film to peel off.
You know that feeling when you buy a new iPad and you remove that crisp new plastic film feeling. With the Nintendo switch you remove it out of the plastic bag and there's gonna be dust and micro scratches on it.

2. There are fingerprints on the inside when they assembled it. They didn't bother to use gloves. I imagine all the Nintendo Switches are like these.
https://youtu.be/ETN97XOx4ZY?t=1m15s

SystemUser

Literally every answer is "We are aware of the reports and are investigating" in this interview.

How did they not encounter this during testing?

Most testing of games is done at a desk not in a living room type setup. If you play the Switch sitting at a desk then it would probably be easy to miss this issue.

Another alternative is that they did find it, but decided to launch anyways and are now lying. It is a standard corporate PR practice to deny knowing about things like this to buy some more time. The consumer service reps are trained to say things like "thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We will direct this feedback to the proper channels."

Nintendo's marketing was pretty misleading for the Gameboy Advance. If you didn't read up about it and just want commercials it was easy to be tricked into thinking the GBA was backlit. The in-store unit had a light at perfect angle above it to make the screen look really bright. Nintendo knew that this was an issue when the system launched in the summer, but trained the Christmas consumer service reps to deny knowing about the issue and act it was newly discovered on each call. After getting so many angry calls Nintendo released the GBA SP using the frontlit design engineered by the guy at portableMonopoly. Eventually Nintendo caved and release a GBA with a backlit screen.

chrono01

Nice to see them make an official comment on it. I've had a Switch since launch day, still sitting in my Amazon shipping box. I'm waiting for my screen protector to arrive (they were back-ordered, but I should hopefully receive it today) before I un-box/set everything up.

That being said, part of me feels I should return the Switch to Amazon, play BotW on the Wii U, and wait for a hardware revision or for all of the current issues to be fixed before I jump in. I'd love to be a Day One adopter, as I have been for previous Nintendo consoles, but given the price of the unit (even more so in Canada, thanks to our poor dollar) as well as that there's nothing else I need to play on it for the next few months, makes me think I should wait. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks fun, but I have it for the Wii U, and while Splatoon 2 will be amazing, I could probably wait until later in the year to play it, alongside Mario Odyssey.

I keep going back-and-forth, not knowing what to do. While I know Nintendo would support those of us with issues, if they do decide to redesign the dock or improve the left joy-con sync issues, I'd rather not have to go through a bunch of technical support to receive the replacements. I'd much rather grab the console off the shelf, connect everything, and be good-to-go. :/

In any case, I have a few more weeks to return it. I guess I'll ponder it a bit more, but I would really like to play BotW already. If only the frame-rate wasn't so un-even in the Wii U version this decision would be so much easier. :(

Rellik

You know that feeling when you buy a new iPad and you remove that crisp new plastic film feeling. With the Nintendo switch you remove it out of the plastic bag and there's gonna be dust and micro scratches on it.

2. There are fingerprints on the inside when they assembled it. They didn't bother to use gloves. I imagine all the Nintendo Switches are like these.

That just screams rushed and cheap.

First thing I noticed when I took out my Switch was that there was no plastic film on the unit and I actually thought to myself was this a return unit or something. And number 2 is just ridiculous lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

hahah yeah #1 was the first thing i noticed. it's not just iphones -- pretty much any device >$20 with a screen has that stuff. thankfully i do actually quite love the hardware mostly but they clearly missed out on some of the finer details in a rush to get out. tbh though...this is mostly a forumgoer thing. plastic screen w/ casuals & kids -- that thing is getting scratched to fuck regardless. not saying there aren't very valid complaints but just to the point about like why isn't NYT covering this -- this is the next RROD etc. (given the rushy nature, maybe that's still lurking, granted :p)

All these issues hopefully allow for some cheap refurb units to appear in time. I plan on using the thing docked 100% of the time so frankly the screen could be entirely dead pixels and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Bullshit! Not even a trip to the wash closet?!

They're probably making them 1:1 with each Switch and producing more would screw up the factory processing for systems. From what he said, NOA specifically has been trying to get this done so it's likely they already had an order in for the systems and adding more production for docks would screw up initial planning this early into the system's lifespan. Factories are more complicated then 'hey make some more of this peice, please.'
They are (or were at least) selling docks separately, so it's not 1:1 at all. More docks than Switches exist right now.

Edit: Have any Nintendo handhelds or the GamePad come with the film covering their screens? I'm not trying to defend the practice I genuinely don't remember. I wouldn't necessarily say that's evidence of a rush job to be honest. I seriously can't remember ever pulling any film off my GBA, DS, 3DS, or GamePad, but please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

mrlion

Honestly, it's rare that they do this much. Usually they just ignore it.

Why is it that any company tries to fix something like this, like a game or console or something, people come up with this statement? "Oh its rare that they do this much" lol

Jigolo

Why is it that any company tries to fix something like this, like a game or console or something, people come up with this statement? "Oh its rare that they do this much" lol

Nintendo is one of the few companies where i agree with that statement. i'm quite happy and surprised they acknowledged this

On whether Nintendo might offer a USB-C/HDMI combo cable (so the system could output to a TV without the dock, if, say, you've brought it to a friend's house)

Fils-Aimé: Nintendo believes that our systems are best utilized with our first-party accessories. We believe for the physical security of the system, that it's best connected to the TV through our dock solution. So I say this having no doubt that there's going to be a lot of unlicensed third party solutions that will start appearing that could do potentially what you're describing.

Loved how candid that answer was. Basically...We're not going to make it, but check alibaba in a month.
Strange reply from a company about its own product.

Papacheeks

Banned
That or Foxconn is biting off more than it can chew.

Actually never thought of that, Foxconn wasn't the company they used for NES classic correct?

Yes because sell out of first the production batch of a new console/handy/tablet is so uncommon, like it never happened before with a popular device...

NES Classic US a whole different matter and not even barely comparable.

Yea your right Selling out of a device that went on sale "Globally" and only had like 2 million made for that global launch totally common.

Meanwhile PS4 sold 1 million units in 24hrs without it being released in Japan among other territories. And outside of rubber issues with the controllers, and few bugs doesn't have a giant design flaw that can damage your console, let alone a sync issue with the controller that seems to be proven to be HARDWARE not software.

Let alone the ton's of missing apps that are pretty standard with most smart devices.

Everything points to it being rushed past a date they were not ready for.

Top Bottom