• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Millenials More Likely to Say A Woman's Place is in the Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Looks like the Millennial generation has regressed a bit from Gen X, at least when it comes to how the roles of men and women in the home are viewed.

In 1994, 42% of American high school seniors (age 18) agreed that the best kind of family was one in which the man was the outside ”achiever" and the woman took care of the home. In 2014, 58% said this was true.

That's according to sociologists Joanna Pepin of the University of Maryland and David Cotter of Union College, who examined almost 40 years of surveys taken by American high-school seniors. They found that millennials (those born between 1982 and the early 2000s), have a surprising set of views on gender.

Separate research looking at the General Social Survey (which has reported on the same questions for 40 years and breaks the answers down by age) bolsters these findings. It found that in 1994, 16% of young American adults (aged 18-25) believed that a woman's place was in the home. By 2014, that figure had risen to 25%.

Cotter says that if the trend continues, the gender revolution—which was already stalling by metrics of of female labor force participation and the pace of closing the gender pay gap —will slow even more dramatically.

”If they persist with these attitudes, they are not likely to be pushing for organizational or societal changes in those family arrangements," he said.

atlas_SyhYD4F3x@2x.png

The change in responses to the General Social Survey was even more dramatic: In 1994, 83% of young men rejected the notion that the model family has a male breadwinner. A decade later, that figure dropped to 55%. Female support for the male breadwinner model rose in kind. In 1994, 15% of young women agreed that the male-breadwinner model was superior; by 2014, 28% preferred it.

And the root cause for the change? Everyone's favorite boogeyman "economic anxiety" is to blame.

University of Utah sociologist Dan Carlson offers another explanation: Many millennials watched their parents balancing two careers with little institutional support—affordable child care, paid parental leave, flexible and well-paid work—and decided it was way too stressful. He writes:

”My own work and that of others would suggest that the retreat from egalitarian behaviors and values in many families likely reflects the obstacles couples face in pursuing an egalitarian division of financial and family responsibilities – an arrangement that the majority of U.S. couples state is very important to a successful marriage (Pew 2016) and that researchers find to have increasingly positive consequences for couples' well-being."

The financial crisis, he noted, also forced many men out of work as women increased their workload, imposing a gender shift that many had not willingly chosen. When the change is involuntary, he argues, it results in higher levels of marital dissatisfaction.

The article says that a similar regression in values has not been seen in Europe, where there is a stronger social net for families.

Source:
https://qz.com/946816/millennials-a...parents-to-think-womens-place-is-in-the-home/

Send me to the kitchen if old.

If true this makes no sense. Millenials who are having so much difficulty even finding employment believe that their future families can be supported on a single income? Pretty backwards.

SRG01

Dual-income parents are the absolute minimum to live in some cities. How on earth are people going to survive on one income?

Mathieran

Banned
I don't know a single millennial with those views. So weird that this is a thing.

I sometimes do wonder what would happen if we went back to one working parent being the norm though. But it wouldn't matter to me which parent.

People who are 18 now aren't millennials, unless we're just going to define anyone born after 1980 as millennials forever. The generation after us, though, is much more religious than we are, which could play a part.

Guevara

It's going to be really hard to separate out the respondents who realize the social contract is broken with regard to work, from the millennial bro chauvinists.

Shoeless

Okay, so if this data is actually true, then... why? How can Millennials ignore the financial realities and focus on relationship benefits? Have they bought into some kind of myth about happiness in poverty, or are they convinced that jobs are about to get a massive hike in pay that will justify single-income families again?

Matsukaze

That is pretty disappointing. :/

Wasn't there a study last year that found millenial men were also less likely to believe women faced discrimination in the workplace?

tomtom94

A lot of new conservative pundits are portraying themselves as rebellious anti-mainstream figures and they seem to take particular aim at feminism. I can't help but feel there's a link.

G0523

Do you guys think it's because male millenials want someone to take care of them? Some of my guy friends think similar to this. They like that women are more empowered now than ever but they personally want someone to do all the so-called wifely duties that I've noticed their mothers did. Doesn't help that they're all single too. Lol.

And the root cause for the change? Everyone's favorite boogeyman "economic anxiety" is to blame.

Holy fucking shit. GAF get it through your heads that economic anxiety and....

University of Utah sociologist Dan Carlson offers another explanation: Many millennials watched their parents balancing two careers with little institutional support—affordable child care, paid parental leave, flexible and well-paid work—and decided it was way too stressful. He writes:

this is not a fucking boogeyman. This has been part of the backbone of the Democratic party platform for the better part of 100 years. We haven't addressed this much in the last 20 years, and as a result we're failing and now even liberals think it's a "boogeyman." Trump literally steals the idea and people to appeal to from Democrats past and now we want to pretend it doesn't exist? Jesus are we this lost?

.JayZii

Banned
"Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."

Just going to put that there before all the 30-somethings start talking shit about Millennials.

DJ_Lae

I mean, attitudes toward single vs dual incomes, sure. But who cares whether it's the man or the woman who stays home in a single income situation?

My wife stays home, but it's only because daycare would run us $3,000+ a month, so she'd have to make $50-$60k before tax to even break even (let alone losing bonding time with the kids).

spons

Gold Member
If true this makes no sense. Millenials who are having so much difficulty even finding employment believe that their future families can be supported on a single income? Pretty backwards.

Wishful thinking. A single income should be enough to sustain a family and live a happy life.

ascii42

Depending on the woman's (or man's if he's the one who earns less) salary, childcare can be more expensive than it's worth.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol half of us would get banned if we said that here.

I have noticed it in women too. They are more and more ok with staying home raising a family.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Yes. This doesn't make sense to me.
I'm skeptical of the study based on my personal experience with this generation.

Millenials can't afford homes but want a woman to stay in what home again?

Not buying it.

Holmes

The olds in this thread don't understand. Millennials believe everyone's place is in the home because we don't like going out.

We really need to redefine what the hell a Millennial is. The range is so fucking huge. My brother is technically a Millennial, and he graduated high school in 2001. I seriously doubt his graduating class sees the world the same as 2017's graduating class.

Also, the rise of the internet and the overtaking of anonymous culture that's flooded with neo-Nazis led to a generational regression? Color me fucking shocked.

NewDust

Gen X stays winning.

Millennials take another L.

http://www.sfgate.com/lifestyle/article/20-percent-of-millennials-openly-identify-as-LGBTQ-11040294.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#photo-10451816

Millennials – love them or hate them – are leading the charge in openly declaring their sexualities, and supporting those who do not identify as heterosexual and cisgender (those whose gender identity corresponds to their birth sex).

Syriel

People who are 18 now aren't millennials, unless we're just going to define anyone born after 1980 as millennials forever. The generation after us, though, is much more religious than we are, which could play a part.

The study covers the full millennial generation.

Someone born in 1996 would be 18 in 2014 (which is the last year that the study covered).

Azzurri

lol half of us would get banned if we said that here.

I have noticed it in women too. They are more and more ok with staying home raising a family.

From personal experience with my friends and groups of women I've talked to most of them have told me if given the the chance, they would rather stay home and raise their children if the guy made enough money to support both of them.

Aces&Eights

Gen X stays winning.

Millennials take another L.

Yep. My kid is off to college and my woman partner of 10 years has been doing the "I'm sick of working, I wish I could just stay home and you go to work lol". I'm like, screw that. We need the money and I would resent that every day I had to get up and go to work and you get to sleep in and eat Lucky Charms in bed with the puppy lol. We both 43.

orochi91

Yea.

This is basically my sisters.

They're​ both in Uni working towards Finance/Accounting degrees, but don't really wanna work after graduating. They just wanna marry and chill.

That level of laziness is so infuriating.

Probably need someone to replace their mother since cannot do shit for themselves and just cry some form of injustice at every single problem, which doesn't actually achieve anything in the real world.

Nabbis

Im too lazy to look it up but if the statement was the very same as the one in the diagram, both options are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom