• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Millenials More Likely to Say A Woman's Place is in the Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaviourMK2

I'm not entirely surprised by the erratic political divide we've been going through. Conservative, Liberal, etc beliefs are more firm than previously. I wouldn't be surprised if these answers where based on political climate.
Besides, while it sucks it went up, 25% isn't THAT bad, and I'm sure the number would be different if they polled every single millennial, I'm confident that in the end that it's a preference and not a "nope, women in the home, period"

kirblar

It makes sense to me w/ the costs of childcare and people being raised in single-parent/divorced families. If you're having kids, the ideal being one working parent and one stay at home/pt job is still an ideal for lots and lots of people- especially so if you didn't grow up under it.

Syriel

Wait, millenials weren't born in the late 2000's.

Again, the survey was of 18-25-year-olds.

No one who was born in the late 2000s would have been included because they wouldn't be old enough.

This is in the OP. :p

Gotta say this does not reflect the general opinion in my age bracket here in Finland AT ALL.

Yeah, the story calls that out. That Europe hasn't seen the same regression.

Should probably have qualified that that "American Millennials" in the title.

Keri

I have noticed it in women too. They are more and more ok with staying home raising a family.

This is because working and being a mom is so goddamn impossible. We end up running ourselves ragged, doing the majority of house and child care, while also trying to do the jobs that pay us money. You get to a point where you start to think: "If my only options are between doing, literally EVERYTHING, or staying at home, maybe staying at home would be better." I've had discussions of this nature with my professional coworkers. t's a completely unfair choice, that pushes more and more women to wanting to just give up.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy if I wasn't working, as much as I love my child. In an idea world, I could work only part time or have my husband stay home.

This is because working and being a mom is so goddamn impossible. We end up running ourselves ragged, doing the majority of house and child care, while also trying to do the jobs that pay us money. You get to a point where you start to think: "If my only options are between doing, literally EVERYTHING, or staying at home, maybe staying at home would be better." I've had discussions of this nature with my professional coworkers. t's a completely unfair choice, that pushes more and more women to wanting to just give up. It shouldn't be a woman/man thing.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy if I wasn't working, as much as I love my child. In an idea world, I could work only part time or have my husband stay home.
I hear you. Honestly I think parents should both get to raise their kid full time until they are school age.

I honestly think that one stay at home parent is ideal.

But it's not practical for most these days, after houses became investments and assets rather than homes primarily it's impossible to buy one on a single salary.
I think that change is one of the most fundamental explanations of where we are now.

kirblar

I don't even kind of understand what the fuck is happening here.
Pretty sure Boney's article nails a lot of what's going on:
I think this nails it. The two-income-earner family is financially unstable, has very high childcare costs, etc. The "opportunity cost" of a parent leaving the home to work more than part-time is now very high for families.

In economic surveys women also consistently have a strong preference for part-time work, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is much higher in the US relative to other western countries because of the lack of child care support. (I'd expect it to always be greater than the Men's % simply because Men don't have to deal with being pregnant.)

Am I missing something or should at least some females agree with the statement for the % to be less than 50%?

---

SMH at people who say one-parent family is ideal without noting that it is not the mother who has to stay at home

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I do think it's better for the family for at least one parent to be at home with the kids.

I just see how terribly stressed and chaotic the lives of most dual earners with kids are and it doesn't seem like anyone is benefiting from the situation.

Obviously, it's extremely important for their to be the freedom of choice. Whether it's two parents with careers, a woman as the bread winner or the man. I definitely wouldn't be for society dictating the "right path." Everyone's situation is different.

riotous

Banned
I wonder if this has anything to do with who has been having kids in the last 22+ years?

It's a pretty big gap, and I think that gap started to grow a lot right around the time they are quoting (1994.)

Those progressive 18-25 year old's produced a lot less children who would now be 18-25, and something like 80% of children lean towards their parents views politically.

Am I missing something or should at least some females agree with the statement for the % to be less than 50%?

---

SMH at people who say one-parent family is ideal without noting that it is not the mother who has to stay at home

If that's directed at me why should I have to state that?

I didn't say mothers have to stay at home.

Marquis

Banned
Never understood the idea of a man wanting their woman to be a housewife. Lol, I would be extremely happy if my girlfriend ends up making more then me.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
As a high school senior from 1994, I am ashamed that it was 42% back then.

Keri

I hear you. Honestly I think parents should both get to raise their kid full time until they are school age.

That would be wonderful. I do think that something has got to give: Either we need to make it possible for single income families to survive (which means raising average incomes) or we need to offer more support for working families. I would love it if onsite daycare became the new big perk, that employers started feeling more and more pressure to offer, to stay competitive.

Also, it would be great if working men stepped things up, when it comes to helping with child care and housework. I know lots of good men who try to help out, but all the studies I've seen show it's still heavily slanted towards women, doing most of the work. I think this is one way that, even seemingly progressive men are contributing to this problem. It's all well and good to think women should have choices, but that also means you need to get off your ass and do the dishes every once and while. (Not directed at you Hollywood, just meant in general!)

Josh7289

Not surprised. The economic reasons given make sense, especially considering Europe has not seen a similar change in gender expectations.

If that's directed at me why should I have to state that?

I didn't say mothers have to stay at home.
Arguing that this makes sense because single-family parent makes sense is only logical if you have implicitly assumed that it is the mother who will stay at home, which makes it a tautological argument.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I've seen some stay at home moms on my FB reject "feminism" (i.e. the archetypical militant femnazi type) because they chose to be stay at home moms despite feminism ensures that they have that option as well as others.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy fucking shit. GAF get it through your heads that economic anxiety and....

this is not a fucking boogeyman. This has been part of the backbone of the Democratic party platform for the better part of 100 years. We haven't addressed this much in the last 20 years, and as a result we're failing and now even liberals think it's a "boogeyman." Trump literally steals the idea and people to appeal to from Democrats past and now we want to pretend it doesn't exist? Jesus are we this lost?

Exactly. If the breadwinner could pay for the spouse and kids, why wouldn't the spouse stay home to release some of that stress on the cash?

Doran902

Never understood the idea of a man wanting their woman to be a housewife. Lol, I would be extremely happy if my girlfriend ends up making more then me.

Old ass culture, men make money women raise kids. I know some housewives / stay at home dads between my friends and family. They choose to do it because they get to raise their kids themselves instead of both parents being gone the majority of the day. Obviously this is just their choice and they are in a financial position to live this way but imo there is nothing right or wrong with it as long as people are choosing it and not being forced into it.

Zubz

Banned
This was a bit surprising. I wonder how much the MRA, basement-dwelling section of millenials affected this total; I thought we were a progressive lot.

Its 18 year olds not all millennials. Besides thats like the very low end of the millennials, it isn't even the median age.

edit: Ah so they took a survay each year and now I understand the trend.

Im suprised really, for my generation. We were raised by the boomers who are conservative so I guess that might be why.

norm9

This was a bit surprising. I wonder how much the MRA, basement-dwelling section of millenials affected this total; I thought we were a progressive lot.

I don't thihnk the people in the survey necessarily are the type you're describing. Could just be the idea of the happy nuclear family has influenced them in a sort of nostalgia for the never was. Or it could be [I don't have the stats for this], the divorce rate for the parents of those surveyed affected their perspective.

Korey

Is it just me or is that poll question really confusingly worded?

I've read it like 7 time and I'm still not sure I'm getting it.

aly

Maybe most growing up with duel working parents affected this. Many kids only see their parents leaving and coming home. So while both working may be a necessary, there could be a wish to go back to the idea of at least one parent being around more often. It's a complaint I hear from alot of kids actually.

Not saying woman should stay home but being raised by a parent is the best way to go for a child. Of course single income households are hardly possible since the fall of good paying middle class jobs.

Yes.

It's super fucking lame that we're expected to work as much as our husbands, yet also come home and wash dishes and make dinner and grocery shop and run errands and fold laundry and clean.

Uh no if I work more in the office then you are doing more at home.

Trust me when I say even married men are not immune to this.

If you want me to be a housewife then you better provide all the money. lol
Yeah, better get those good jobs boys! I am lucky enough to make enough money where the wife doesn't have to work but she lives teaching so we make it work. I do all of the cooking and I have floor duty with loading and unloading the laundry. I don't do folding. Lol

It's funny. My wife and I don't believe that a woman's place is in the home (she is actually a pretty radical feminist), but that's how it ended up. Her staying home with the kids doing the cooking and whatnot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes.

It's super fucking lame that we're expected to work as much as our husbands, yet also come home and wash dishes and make dinner and grocery shop and run errands and fold laundry and clean.

Uh no if I work more in the office then you are doing more at home.

Trust me when I say even married men are not immune to this.

If you want me to be a housewife then you better provide all the money. lol

Sounds like some shitty dudes...

I'm 31 and all of the couples I know around my age that both work full time very much split the house chores and errands. Hell, even in households in which one of the parents stays at home and takes care of the kids, the one who works full time still does their fair share of housework.

It's funny. My wife and I don't believe that a woman's place is in the home (she is actually a pretty radical feminist), but that's how it ended up. Her staying home with the kids doing the cooking and whatnot.

I'm in the "a woman belongs wherever the fuck she wants to be" camp, myself.

I'm struck by how...disingenuous these questions come off as, especially the one we're presented with; it makes no attempt to provide the opposite, which to me seems a bit biased. Furthermore, I would stress that both parents working means less time with each other, and less time with children, so that would ALSO move that a bit.

And...it was around the 90s that this began to creep up in the public sphere, where the mother would HAVE to work, or else they weren't going to be able to pay bills that month.

The way I see it, this is a strong economic and familial bias, the likes of which weren't particularly strong until the early-90s crashes began.

And it's only gotten worse since, with wars, further crashes, terrible economic policy.

I'd stake my future career on it.

Is this another reason why they are also having much less sex?

Less time together means less time to have sex together. The increasing popularity and openness of flings, one-night-stands, casual sex, leans me that way, too. And it's seem everywhere -- Japan, Germany, France, and the UK have similar (albeit not equal) problems with slowing sex lives and less time together, which I, again, will tie to economic stress, especially as temporary and part-time labor continues to skyrocket. The weird hours means one person in a couple might be waking up for work when the other gets home from work, and the jilted schedules leaves less time for anything together.

I'm uneasy, because this explains the problems here TOO well. It's off to gather more data, then...!

Is it just me or is that poll question really confusingly worded?

I've read it like 7 time and I'm still not sure I'm getting it.
I get it but you're right, it's worded incredibly poorly. Maybe the actual trend is that millennials are just getting dumber and didn't understand the question.

Edit: for the record, I mean no offense to you in that statement

Peltz

Do you guys think it's because male millenials want someone to take care of them? Some of my guy friends think similar to this. They like that women are more empowered now than ever but they personally want someone to do all the so-called wifely duties that I've noticed their mothers did. Doesn't help that they're all single too. Lol.
Ehh.., personally I wouldn't date a woman who didn't work or pursue a career. It's weird to me and I don't want to have all the income related responsibilities for myself.

As far as who does all the "wifey" duties like clean the house, personally, I like to pay someone to take care of it rather than do it or have a spouse do it. She and I can split the cost. That's just my 2 cents.

Arguing that this makes sense because single-family parent makes sense is only logical if you have implicitly assumed that it is the mother who will stay at home, which makes it a tautological argument.

Mate your projecting I didn't agree with the statement.

I used it as a jumping off point about the idea of a parent staying at home being an ideal scenario driven scarce because of economics.

Nothing implied women, you took the meaning and ran with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom