• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Millenials More Likely to Say A Woman's Place is in the Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I met my wife she made way more than me.

Before we got married she wanted a promise that I'd take over and support the family when she got pregnant as she wanted to stay home and raise the kids. She was raised by babysitters and rarely saw her parents and didn't want that for our kids. I had no problem with it.

That's what we've been doing for years now.

I must say she got shit from her(now former) "career women" friends. She home schools our son so it's not like she does nothing all day or anything.

(We are both Gen X but I can understand the sentiment).

kswiston

I was 18 in 2000. At least we were the best Millennial year for that survey.

Looks like you 1970-1980 kids were the peak for workplace equality.

RedSwirl

When I saw this posted on twitter someone noted there was an argument going on between "first-wave Millennials" and "second-wave Millennials." The chart points out people between the ages of 18-25 -- people born between around 1992 and 2000. Those are probably the "second wave" whereas the first wave is likely people born between roughly 1982 and 1991.

Basically, millennials who don't remember a pre-internet world and millennials who do.

kess

It looks like the radicalization of at least a sizable portion of white men is starting to show up in the data.

Instro

I think you are onto something here, onto some bullshit pulled out of your ass, unless you have some data to support your claim.

I don't think I've said anything particularly outlandish, certainly nothing that deserved that kind of response. I didn't make the claim with any real certainty, which I feel like was pretty clear. It seemed obvious to me though that demographics in the country have changed substantially in that time period, and that would impact the responses on this subject. Fair enough though, I did a bit of digging into the numbers to see what that looked like. Looking specifically CA, here is the difference in student demographics in 1995/1995 vs 2015/2016:

NoYecqa.png

I also found this: http://www.centerforpubliceducation...s-of-the-United-States-and-their-schools.html

Which has a section regarding "Population change by race and ethnicity" which shows a widespread shift from 2000 to 2010 in many states. I think that it is fair to say that these changes could have a meaningful impact on the responses.

Syriel

When I saw this posted on twitter someone noted there was an argument going on between "first-wave Millennials" and "second-wave Millennials." The chart points out people between the ages of 18-25 -- people born between around 1992 and 2000. Those are probably the "second wave" whereas the first wave is likely people born between roughly 1982 and 1991.

Basically, millennials who don't remember a pre-internet world and millennials who do.

Reread the chart. :p People who are 18-25 couldn't have been born in 2000. Someone born in 2000 would only be 16 or 17 today.

The chat ends at 2014, so the youngest Millennial represented would have been born in 1996.

I always thought millenials were born after - you know - the millenium? Can't believe men in my era is associated with that crap.

Millennials are generally considered to be those born between 1980 and the latter half of the 90s. The exact definition varies, but it always ends before 2000. Gen X is a smaller generation between the Boomers and the Millennials, and Gen Z (or the Internet generation) is those born after 2000.

Or, to put it in Star Wars terms:

-- If you saw the OT in theaters as a kid, you're likely Gen X.
-- If you saw the PT in theaters as a kid, you're likely a Millennial.

Future

Both parents working is fucking hard man. And if only one parent is not gonna work, society still wants the man to work. This study is not surprising, especially since there is momentum into the direction of things like racism and sexism being "dead" even though they arent.

Man, now people born in the early 2000s are seriously supposed to be millenials? Keep the 2000s generation Z libertarians out of our group please and thanks.

FOH

Edit: Ah, I misread the OP. In either case the people who believe a woman's place is at home should try doing it for a couple of years and seeing that shit ain't the cakewalk they think it is.

Both my wife and I are really tired after a long day at work. With kids, we have almost no relaxation time. If we're not working, doing chores, or spending time with the kids, we're sleeping.

I can definitely understand the sentiment. Although I don't agree that a woman's role is to be at home.

Corsick

Both parents working is fucking hard man. And if only one parent is not gonna work, society still wants the man to work. This study is not surprising, especially since there is momentum into the direction of things like racism and sexism being "dead" even though they arent.

I think there's some awkward things society has to work out before certain arrangements can work. Because logically we want to believe in increasingly more egalitarian ideals (this study aside), while emotionally our society isn't quite accepting them yet on average across the entire country. There's some points I think about a lot that I think are important to address.

- Women aren't able to find a work/life balance if they're deeply ambitious professionally but want a family (Companies/men accepting female workers as equals and legal issues like the lack of mandatory paid leave are big problems we have to solve).

- Stay at home dads aren't exactly in high demand. You don't tell a girl you're dating that that's your idea of a future with them. Ask how many women what they think of men with no professional aspirations, it's typically (broad strokes here) not very well thought of. You have to be a man with a good career and dreams of being a father first, and if things fall into place where you stay at home for whatever reason, that's the secondary option.

- Men aren't really thought of as natural caretakers the same way women are, right, wrong or otherwise.

- A lack of involvement with child rearing and household chores is also one of the largest reasons men have troubles in marriage, and why women divorce them.

- This leads to a situation where more couples decide that if someone is to stay home, they're more comfortable with it being the wife. Because we still live in an age where men make more and are also not really perceived to be naturally good parents, this gives a nudge to couples to naturally go into that arrangement.

Basically we have some difficult topics intersecting that society isn't addressing and they all play a role. The end goals should be (imo):

1) A society where the pay gap is virtually non-existent
2) Women and Men have the proper benefits at work to be able to take time off to care for children, while also having equal mobility to advance their careers as they see fit.
3) A perception where men and women are both just as respected for being stay at home caretakers full time.
4) More men taking on household chores and child care - both for those with jobs and those that are stay at home dads. There's an ugly statistic that shows a good portion of stay at home dads STILL don't spend as much time with their kids as their working wives do. That's sad to me, and it begs the question of whether they're just poor fathers who don't care, or if there are greater forces at play.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

As someone born in '91 for me the differentiating factor is how old you were when YouTube became huge. I was juuuust on the outer edge, YouTube was a thing by the time I was in middle school but it was largely "here are some funny clips and also two dumb videos my friends and I made". The internet growing up was a place where you went to find information on a website. If you're born in '95 though you've never really known a world in which the internet did not exist as a wholly interactive space in which everyone pushes their own information into it constantly

krang

As someone born in '91 for me the differentiating factor is how old you were when YouTube became huge. I was juuuust on the outer edge, YouTube was a thing by the time I was in middle school but it was largely "here are some funny clips and also two dumb videos my friends and I made". The internet growing up was a place where you went to find information on a website. If you're born in '95 though you've never really known a world in which the internet did not exist as a wholly interactive space in which everyone pushes their own information into it constantly

For me it's whether or not you remember the funny noises required to connect to the internet. Or having to ask your parents to not use the phone.

dankir

lol fuck that shit. My wife has an amazing job, brings in over 100k a year and gets to do what she loves.

She would go crazy staying at home. Hell is wrong with these fools.

Dirca

My gen-x wife is perfectly happy being a stay at home mom. She insists on doing all the cooking and cleaning. I'm ok with this.

Some social philosophers argue that all social principles come from an experience of moral shock. For an example of moral shock, we could think of the expected reaction in the 20th century to the previously unimagined horror of the holocaust.

So then the form of the principle (in this case, something like egalitarianism) is just the conceptual or axiomatic representation of that moment of shock. The problem is then that when we forget that shock, the moral principles that we've built after it suddenly appear empty to us.

Basically, these kids have gotten so used to progressive social principles, that they're now under the impression that they can dispense with them, and not suffer the kinds of consequences that motivated their development in the first place.

So much for millennials not being entitled little fucks.

Thanks for painting millions if not billions of people as entitled little fucks. How old are you, exactly?

Anyway, I highly doubt this study based on my personal experience with hundreds of fellow 'millenials'. Either the US millenials are trash or the study isn't accurate.

Anybody who knows about how polls and surveys are conducted can tell you that you can skew answers any way you want if you know what to ask and how.

Somnid

It's really hard for me to really understand the context of the OP because it really depends on how you ask that question and some of it really is financial reality. If one parent isn't making 40K+ then effectively child care costs will drown you and so it simply makes more sense to stay home. In fact, ideally, everyone would stay home and raise the kids but that's not how it works, somebody needs to make money to support the household. Since gender discrimination as well as companies simply not accommodating sex affiliated biological conditions like pregnancy (but also things like thyroid disease and fibromyalgia that are much more common in women) women are paid less and less likely to be the breadwinner. Given those facts you are probably going to make those decisions and nearly everyone I know with kids around my age has the wife not working, not because they don't want to, but because in terms of finances and giving the kids attention it just makes sense. It also occurs that people who plan but cannot meet the high financial requirements simply don't have kids and this is the reality for many highly developed urban environments. To have kids is a luxury that often requires at least one high earner and so it's seen as more of the ideal.

Really the core here I don't think is millennial attitudes, it's the fact that the US simply does not have any requirements for family leave, and day care is probably 3rd down from healthcare and college on list of things that cost way too damn much.

jdstorm

Banned
The generation that has been living with "Housewife/Housewives" branded television for close to 15 years several of which were key teenage developmental years is more inclined to idolize that lifestyle. Im shocked.

Note: Desperate Housewives first aired in 2004. Although the show arguably responsible for this trend was The OC (2003)

Millennials are pretty fucking dumb if they think that the answer to their "economic anxiety" is for one parent to voluntarily leave the workforce.

Again, the survey was of 18-25-year-olds.

No one who was born in the late 2000s would have been included because they wouldn't be old enough.

This is in the OP. :p

Yeah, the story calls that out. That Europe hasn't seen the same regression.

Should probably have qualified that that "American Millennials" in the title.

"American Millennials fail to read entire forum post"

Amazing, really

azyless

Eh, considering the price of daycare and the fact that there's no free public school system before the age of 5-6 in the USA (and a general lack of social welfare), I imagine for a lot of people it isn't even worth it to work tbh.
No reason for it to be the woman though.

Paganmoon

are we sure it's cause they think women should stay home, or that they're too stupid to understand the wording of the question?

Replicant

Gen X still the best!

EDIT: Joking aside, I admit I'm rather disturbed at how backwards some Millenials are in terms of social values. I had to confront two younger co-workers over their use of the F word, reminding them that they posted that on an open chat that the entire office could see and that we are an inclusive workplace. On top of just plain disgusting, they could get in trouble over the posts. You'd think that as a generation raised in a technological period they'd knew better and have a more tolerant POV.

Silly millennials. I can see how a generation that's feeling increasingly out of control (job market, expectations, women closing the gap) would yearn for old traditional roles, but I still think it's ridiculous. A woman's place is wherever she wants it to be.

orava

The current teens to twentysomethings are the most shortsighted, closed minded and entitled bunch of assholes i have seen. The follower generation.

tJ8smuY.jpg

Gun Animal

Both parents working 40+ hours a week makes having and raising children almost impossible and not worth the effort given that neither parent actually gets to spend time with their kids to begin with. The ideal solution is 30-hour, 3 day work weeks segregated by gender so that there's always one parent at home, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. I'm fine with the traditional single-income model as the alternative.

In response to "a woman's place is wherever she wants it to be" Very true, perhaps the best way to realize this is for women to marry men with shared values?

Born very early 80s here. I think one parent staying home with the kids when they're young is a good idea from a developmental perspective. Doesn't matter if it's mom or dad, but it should be one of the parents.

Gun Animal

Born very early 80s here. I think one parent staying home with the kids when they're young is a good idea from a developmental perspective. Doesn't matter if it's mom or dad, but it should be one of the parents.

Probably the person with the higher income. Statistically, who would that be again??? I'm blanking

Drek

Isn't it more likely that this shows the polarization of our social landscape happening at the HS student level?

25% is a lower percentage of a population than Trump voters, and most Trump voters would likely give a negative answer to this question.

Also, it's worded like shit.

2MF

It makes sense that young people in the 90s would want to see more career women, since that would free people from shackles that existed in and prior to the 90s.

It also makes sense that young people in the 2010s would want to see families that don't need two stacks of student debt + childcare expenses, since that would free people from shackles that exist in the 2010s.

What I don't get is why this is a gender issue specifically and not a "there should be a stay-at-home parent" issue.

+1 to all this. I think you hit the nail on the head there.

harmonize

It looks like the radicalization of at least a sizable portion of white men is starting to show up in the data.
the data shows the percentage hasn't changed much since 2008, which was years before the alt-right came to be.

i'd bet this is just people who grew up in broken and/or divorced homes trying to course correct for themselves in a bad way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom