• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Millenials More Likely to Say A Woman's Place is in the Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boney

Banned
Wait, millenials weren't born in the late 2000's.

And I understand they have to be consistent with the wording of the questions, but that is a terribly weighted way to formulate the question.

Kusagari

If true this makes no sense. Millenials who are having so much difficulty even finding employment believe that their future families can be supported on a single income? Pretty backwards.

Isn't this poll more asking on their ideal view of the matter? Millennials can realize that both members of the family will have to work while also preferring if it would be possible for just the man to do so.

I know numerous woman in my age group that have openly admitted they would rather stay home and just take care of their kid if possible. Doesn't mean they don't realize the reality of the situation and don't work.

.JayZii

Banned
"Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."

Just going to put that there before all the 30-somethings start talking shit about Millennials.

riotous

Banned
Interesting; I graduated high school in 1996 and it was definitely during a spike in liberalism and I've always felt we've in some ways reverted since then. Unfortunate that it seems to be affecting young people.

riotous

Banned
"Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."

Just going to put that there before all the 30-somethings start talking shit about Millennials.

The stats are quoting 18-25 year old's though; so this is about people born after 1990.

molnizzle

Holy fucking shit. GAF get it through your heads that economic anxiety and....

this is not a fucking boogeyman. This has been part of the backbone of the Democratic party platform for the better part of 100 years. We haven't addressed this much in the last 20 years, and as a result we're failing and now even liberals think it's a "boogeyman." Jesus are we this lost?

This post will probably be ignored, but it shouldn't be.

Yep. My kid is off to college and my woman partner of 10 years has been doing the "I'm sick of working, I wish I could just stay home and you go to work lol". I'm like, screw that. We need the money and I would resent that every day I had to get up and go to work and you get to sleep in and eat Lucky Charms in bed with the puppy lol. We both 43.

That's also kinda fucked though. I know that my wife desperately wants to be a housewife but we really need both incomes right now. Being a stay-at-home parent isn't something that should be looked down upon.

Boney

Banned
Interesting; I graduated high school in 1996 and it was definitely during a spike in liberalism and I've always felt we've in some ways reverted since then. Unfortunate that it seems to be affecting young people.
The dream of the 90's man. Gonna change the world not by actively opposing power like in the 60's but by allocating oneself outside the pressures of power.

But, as always, spirits are crushed and bodies are trashed.

Holy fucking shit. GAF get it through your heads that economic anxiety and....

this is not a fucking boogeyman. This has been part of the backbone of the Democratic party platform for the better part of 100 years. We haven't addressed this much in the last 20 years, and as a result we're failing and now even liberals think it's a "boogeyman." Trump literally steals the idea and people to appeal to from Democrats past and now we want to pretend it doesn't exist? Jesus are we this lost?
Elizabeth Warren went pretty in depth in her book, The Two Income Trap. Of course, women being role assigned as home care takers is due to patriarchal domination being naturalized since young age.

Aces&Eights

This post will probably be ignored, but it shouldn't be.

That's also kinda fucked though. I know that my wife desperately wants to be a housewife but we really need both incomes right now. Being a stay-at-home parent isn't something that should be looked down upon.

Oh, I agree. If we had financial security I wouldn't care one way or the other, honestly. But, at 43, we doing the math and it's not adding up. We both NEED to work to ensure we are both not working well into our 70s. I'm blessed to have medical coverage through work, too. I can't even imagine the stress of those my age who have to pay 800 a month for coverage and then all the deductibles. It's scary.

Also, if I stroke out in 5 years (likely/stress) she would have zero income. I have some life insurance but not enough to last her forever. If she quits the work force at 43 and takes 7 years off then tries to re-enter at 50 she would have a very tough time.

Azzurri

I'd think Gaf would be surprised on how many women if given the chance and right economic situation would be a stay at home mom.

NewDust

It's nice you're piggybacking on previous generations' accomplishments inLGBT issues. That's what's supposed to happen. But in the area that's the subject of the OP, millennials are regressing.

Also, nobody should take Generation Warz all that seriously.

Lol that was the point I was going to make... Gen wars... Console wars are bad enough ;)
But I seriously can't stand some observations that "millennials" is all what is wrong whith today's society. Or people that don't actually know what the term "millennials" means.

To return to the topic... I've always considered myself the man@home, either full- or part time. But then again I'm from the Netherlands where we have a very high participation of female workers. Not yet equal and stabilizing, which actually supports the article. shit...

White men are driving the change in social attitudes toward the home. While all groups, including women, have shown more support for traditional male-female roles since 1994, black high school seniors and women were more likely than white males to give egalitarian answers.

Pepin and Cotter attribute these attitudes to growing support for so-called ”egalitarian essentialism." By this thinking, women should have equal opportunities at work, and face no discrimination. But they will likely choose different opportunities from men based on their ”essential" gender-driven differences.
”Egalitarian essentialism assumes that as long as women are not prevented from choosing high-powered careers, or forced out of them upon entering parenthood, their individual choices are freely made and are probably for the best," writes Stephanie Coontz, head of research and public education at the Council on Contemporary Families.

”My own work and that of others would suggest that the retreat from egalitarian behaviors and values in many families likely reflects the obstacles couples face in pursuing an egalitarian division of financial and family responsibilities – an arrangement that the majority of U.S. couples state is very important to a successful marriage (Pew 2016) and that researchers find to have increasingly positive consequences for couples' well-being."
The financial crisis, he noted, also forced many men out of work as women increased their workload, imposing a gender shift that many had not willingly chosen. When the change is involuntary, he argues, it results in higher levels of marital dissatisfaction.

Still, he found that support for gender equality has continued to rise among all age groups. Support for the question, ”women should be prepared to cut down on paid work for the sake of family," has fallen consistently among all age groups.
”As far as the evidence does go we don't see the same turning point," as in the US, Van Bavel said. ”We see a continuing trend toward more gender equality."
Other evidence supports the idea that American parents are wanting for more family support. Jennifer Glass at the University of Texas found that parents in the US are more unhappy than parents in 22 developed countries. The reason was 100% attributable to the lack of policies such as paid sick and vacation leave and subsidized child care, she told Quartz.

The article pretty much explains why. The lack of family support like programs the paternal leave and childcare is making it hard to support a family combined with some millennials being more conservative than the last generation.

There are probably more factors like that many millennials do not have jobs and a family, the financial reality will likely shape their views once they are in that position.

I'd think Gaf would be surprised on how many women if given the chance and right economic situation would be a stay at home mom.

Yep, my wife is one of them. While we both do firmly believe in a woman's right to choose her own path, hers would be at home if she could.

Aces&Eights

I'd love to make the kind of money necessary for my wife to stay home, but we basically rely on a dual-income situation.

To add to this, a lot of the kids today are just looking at day to day income. They don't really grasp how much money you need to retire comfortable and live to say, 80. Once you hit your late 60s you are just not going to want to work anymore and your body is falling apart preventing you from doing so. So, if you don't have 25 years of income socked away, you are going to be dependent on Social Security (if it is even still around). Your golden years will be spent in a shitty apartment with a car that has 200k miles on it and cutting coupons for dinner. Screw that. I want to be able to travel a bit, go see the grandkids and stuff.

There's a difference between wanting to be a stay-at-home wife and believing that a woman's role is to stay at home, or to at least make less money than her husband.

If I could get me a sugar daddy and not work anymore, I'd do it in a heartbeat so that I could focus on writing. But that doesn't mean that I believe that women should be confined to lower-paying work so that their husbands can be the breadwinner or are better suited for stay-at-home roles. That's insanity.

riotous

Banned

Sure; but so would men, particularly if society didn't still think it was more normal for a woman than a man to do it.

I'm 38 and my wife who is 26 hasn't worked since she moved in with me 6 years ago; it's not based on some belief I have other than "I make more than enough money, so do what you want."

It is a nice balance though I can say that; she is never stressed out, generally always in a good mood, gets more than enough sleep always, etc. and that's certainly easier to deal with than 2 people coming home at night tired.

She does occasionally get "shit" for it from some people; mostly the older liberal women I know.

Jonnax

I'm shocked that men on a videogame forum don't dream about being stay at home fathers.

Totally managed backlogs.

TCKaos

The change in responses to the General Social Survey was even more dramatic: In 1994, 83% of young men rejected the notion that the model family has a male breadwinner. A decade later, that figure dropped to 55%. Female support for the male breadwinner model rose in kind. In 1994, 15% of young women agreed that the male-breadwinner model was superior; by 2014, 28% preferred it.

I don't even kind of understand what the fuck is happening here.

Boney

Banned
https://www.google.com/amp/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/04/21/the-warren-brief/amp

The efforts of a generation of Progressive reformers, including Brandeis, lies behind the abolition of child labor and the establishment of maximum-hour and minimum-wage laws for both men and women. A century later, Warren’s brief, too, has to do with the long hours that women work. She’s interested in the unintended economic consequences that arise when women rearing children enter the paid labor force. Warren’s counterintuitive argument is that, for all the public and private good that has come from gains made by women in education and employment, earning money has made women who are mothers more economically vulnerable, not less.

Warren believes that the two-income family has contributed to the bankruptcy rate. “For middle-class families, the most important part of the safety net for generations has been the stay-at-home mother,” Warren and her daughter, Amelia Warren Tyagi, wrote in “The Two-Income Trap: Why Middle-Class Mothers and Fathers Are Going Broke” (2003), a book aimed at a wider audience than Warren’s earlier, academic work. (“Mom, you are boring,” Tyagi told Warren. “Collaborating with my daughter is not for sissies,” Warren says.) It used to be that when a middle-class family was faced with a financial crisis the woman in the house could get a job, to tide things over, which is what happened when Warren’s father had a heart attack and her mother got a job at Sears. This cushion doesn’t exist in the two-income family, which, in its short history—it has its origins, as a middle-class phenomenon, in the nineteen-seventies—has also taken on a great deal more housing debt. The 1974 Equal Credit Opportunity Act required lenders to count a wife’s income when evaluating borrowers; the deregulation of the mortgage lending industry began in 1980. With two wage earners and low down payments, middle-class families took on bigger mortgages and contributed to an increase in the cost of housing, especially when families with children paid a premium for property in school districts with high test scores. Financial crisis, for a two-income family, usually means having to live, quite suddenly, on one income. In these straits, families with children tend to totter on the edge of ruin. “Having a child is now the single best predictor that a woman will end up in financial collapse,” Warren and Tyagi reported. Between 1981 and 2001, the number of women filing for bankruptcy rose more than six hundred per cent.

Azzurri

There's a difference between wanting to be a stay-at-home wife and believing that a woman's role is to stay at home, or to at least make less money than her husband.

If I could get me a sugar daddy and not work anymore, I'd do it in a heartbeat so that I could focus on writing. But that doesn't mean that I believe that women should be confined to lower-paying work so that their husbands can be the breadwinner or are better suited for stay-at-home roles. That's insanity.

That's what I mean, I'm don't believe every womens duty is to be in the 'Kitchen'. I'm saying that if given a chance (even men) would take that lifestyle more times than not.

If true this makes no sense. Millenials who are having so much difficulty even finding employment believe that their future families can be supported on a single income? Pretty backwards.

It makes sense that young people in the 90s would want to see more career women, since that would free people from shackles that existed in and prior to the 90s.

It also makes sense that young people in the 2010s would want to see families that don't need two stacks of student debt + childcare expenses, since that would free people from shackles that exist in the 2010s.

What I don't get is why this is a gender issue specifically and not a "there should be a stay-at-home parent" issue.

RPGamer92

Banned
Maybe because there are more basement dwelling millennials than there are Gen Xers so they don't have as good social/people skills?

Shit let me stay home. I'd be a kept man in a heartbeat. I got another 50 hours in Zelda and that doesn't play itself.
This doesn't make sense to me. Aren't Millennials the most progressive generation? How is this possible?
Debateable. I think it's more the typical OT gaffer who is in his 30s at the heart of the progressive movement. Younger than that and they haven't seen enough shit to give a fuck. Although Trump will probably be changing that quickly.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
But how can my woman make me money staying at home? They gazelle ain't gonna catch themselves.

Cyrano

Wait, millenials weren't born in the late 2000's.

And I understand they have to be consistent with the wording of the questions, but that is a terribly weighted way to formulate the question.
Yeah, the wording of the questions is... poor, to say the least.

A survey methodology 101 course would teach you not to ask questions with structure like that.

I knew shit was gonna go wrong when they started to grow out their beards, added banjos to their music and started drinking out of mason jars.

norm9

I'm 38 and my wife who is 26 hasn't worked since she moved in with me 6 years ago;

That's the life right there. No work since becoming an adult.

I accidentally cut off the last portion of your statement, but the whole two people coming home tired and frustrated makes a lot of sense. If I ever get married, I'm going to convince my wife I need to stay home for her own mental well-being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom