• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kado: The Right Answer |OT| The Arrival of Childhood's End: Anime Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

CCgvn8Z.jpg

Interesting new scifi anime is hard to find.

You can watch it here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/kado-the-right-answer

Thank me later.

uW2Ss6j.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Kado: The Right Answer 00-01
So I had heard pretty much nothing about this show despite it being directed by Kazuya Murata (Gargantia) at Toei. It's a first contact show in the same category as Arrival and Contact. In fact it reminds me a lot of Arrival. I would highly recommend watching Episode 0 as it establishes the main characters and gives insights into their personalities. This is going to be critical going forward as a huge aspect of the show is going to be about negotiations. Episode 1 doesn't delve into the characters at all and focuses more on the fallout stemming from this alien cube appearing in Tokyo. The tone of the show is fairly dry but I appreciate that as there's a general sense of realism barring one sticking point, the young female scientist.
She's really jarring as the show up until that point had tried to portray mostly realistic characters and she comes off as too 'cutesy'. That said I can tolerate her as she (and by she I mean the writers) knows her shit and I suspect the staff consulted with actual theoretical physicists. Some of the strategical approaches that the characters take in this, such as aiming for the corner of the cube, are fairly smart and so it again lends the show a sense of realism. I'm really enjoying this tone with the negotiation aspect presumably going forward as it raises the question of how would we as a species negotiate with an alien race that is presumably centuries ahead of us. It reminds me of that Hawkings quote:
"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans,"
There looks to be a big emphasis on politics and bureaucracy going forward so I'm looking forward to when the Americans fuck everything up. Seems like there well be general communication issues between the aliens and the humans according to the preview as well. I appreciate shows with smart leads and going by episode 0 that will probably be the case here. The anime is supposedly depicting a negotiation between two different species so the writing is going to be crucial here in demonstrating both parties as being capable in the intellectual sense.
On the production side it's not that impressive of a show. I don't like the switches between CGI and 2D and find it irritating due to how distracting it is. It's even more annoying as the character models look a bit better when they're in 2D. I just wish they had done the whole thing in 2D as it's not action show so I can't imagine having it entirely in 2D would have been particularly strenuous. The backgrounds aren't noteworthy and even the storyboarding isn't particularly special. It's definitely not a great looking show but it does look generally good enough. Compared to half the shit I've watched tonight, I'm willing to accept that compromise.
Looks like it's going to be an interesting anime, I could appreciate something well-written in these trying times.

Ascheroth

Go watch it, this show is really good.

Kado: The Right Answer 00-01

Okay, this was really fucking good. Surprise of the season?

First contact show about negotiating with an alien thing, with smart writing and clever characters? Yes please.
The mystery cube is extremely intriguing and I loved the scientific tests.

Fireblend

Banned
Interesting. I like Childhood's End (never got around to watching that mini series, now that I think about it), Contact and Arrival so the OP is pretty much designed to grab my attention. I'll check it out once I have time.

It's an 'interesting' show, I always liked the concept of first contact stories. It has made a pair of good things form the scientific point of view, and the 'right answer' to the dilemma presented by the alien is promising.

Though it also has some flaws, the characterization is pretty weak and something so huge and shocking like an alien arriving to Earth isn't shown in a proper way.

I think Kado has a lot of interesting ideas from an intellectual/theoretical/science-fiction perspective, but its execution as a narrative leaves something to be desired. I would attribute this mainly to Shindo, who is a lame character to pair with the alien visitor. The female negotiator (whose purple hair gives her design an unpleasantly fantastical anime look as compared to the more realistic designs of the rest of the Japanese cast, especially the men) said it best: he doesn't seem human. He's such the perfect, rational negotiator that he isn't a good foil for the alien and isn't interesting to watch either by himself or with anyone else in the cast, even his sidekick who feels like the goofy best friend character from a bishoujo VN. Thus while I'm intrigued by the imaginative possibilities of alien contact the show presents, its attempts to ground that in the human world are comparatively weak. It doesn't help that the production, bouncing back between CG and 2D and between some interesting composite choices and completely bland backgrounds and layouts, feels all over the place. Perhaps it's unfair to compare to Anno and his crew, but Shin Godzilla did a much better job of making Japanese bureaucracy visually engaging.

I was amused by the alien saying that he came to Japan first because he felt like the Japanese were more willing to share with others than other nationalities. Having people from other countries come to Japan to tell the Japanese how great they were wasn't enough; now Japan is bringing in aliens from other dimensions to tell themselves how great they are!

duckroll

I was amused by the alien saying that he came to Japan first because he felt like the Japanese were more willing to share with others than other nationalities. Having people from other countries come to Japan to tell the Japanese how great they were wasn't enough; now Japan is bringing in aliens from other dimensions to tell themselves how great they are!

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is quite what you think it is. A lot of what he explains in "our" language is clearly dumbed down, oversimplified, and honestly... too good to be true. I don't think he has a particular ulterior motive in the traditional sense, but I think part of what is being alluded to is that people hear what they want to hear.

If this is just straight up nationalist shit without being a commentary about appearances, it'll be very disappointing.

Qurupeke

I'm not that impressed, but I'm fond of the direction the show has taken and it's definitely interesting. The CG is more distracting than I hoped...

I'm not that impressed, but I'm fond of the direction the show has taken and it's definitely interesting. The CG is more distracting than I hoped...

I'd be fine with the CG if it was consistent but when they have characters rendered in 3D in one shot and then 2D in the next, its very jarring. I could understand it if it were for transitions between far away shots and close ups, but they do it when the "camera" is close on characters

near

Gold Member
Watched the first episode, thought it was pretty good, somewhat inspired. I'll watch ep 2 & 3 a bit later on, hopefully they're enjoyable enough for me to keep watching unlike most anime I've attempted to watch recently.

Kado 04

The series is slowly increasing in interest. Now international pressure with the UN permanent members starts complicating things, as they want to control/restrict the WAM, while the alien is more like wam for everyone, bitches!
I suppose he is going to show how to make more wam to the scientists, which for me is a bit surprising because I thought that would be the endgame.

On the other hand the series risks in falling in the trap of painting Japan as the good guys (they only ones who understand the message of share the bread) while all other nations are egoistical. Like, /rolleyes.

Also, moeness

Kado 4

I appreciate the show's respect towards its audience where even when they try to paint Japan in a positive light compared to other countries it isn't in an overbearing manner like GATE that crossed the threshold to comedy.

In here we are shown realistic reasons as to why other countries would be opposed, and why the country in the position of Japan would be between Iraq and a hard place. I think someone in the show directly states and makes the comparison fairly obvious. Wam is an all powerful infinite energy supply that humanity has little knowledge about with only preliminary studies done at this point. How is humanity, who can't even properly handle nuclear weapons without a massive council, supposed to handle Wam without causing wars and huge issues?

Zoboomafoo even brings into question the use of countries in a fair assessment from an alien perspective. When you bring a gift to humanity and you need to worry about governments, here lies a very basic problem with the system in place. Now people don't want to share the bread. Speaking of, I don't know if Zoboomafoo is supposed to be a Jesus-like figure, but with the bread analogy it'd be hilarious if he's supposed to be that.

On a lighter note in the episode, I like how the show can have fun with its characters in this hyper bureocratic narrative. We have the lead girl shown in a youtube video bursting out with laughter and then playing it off as a cough. Who among us hasn't done that lmao. And then she thinks that hitting dislike multiple times does a difference lmao. A fairly easy measure to make a contrast between the alien and the humans where even these professionals can have their cute side. And was that a hint of a romantic rivalry/tension I'm sensing between short hair girl, who seems to have romantic feelings for Shido, and the new diplomatic girl?

I can't stop my discussion of the episode though without the biggest fuck up. What the hell show, you were doing such a great job of keeping Kawaii scientist at fucking arm's length with minimal screentime, and the
final scene makes it seem she will now have a bigger role
. The writer hasn't given me reason to doubt him yet, I hope he doesn't begin with this now.

Can't tell if it was a MANLY HUG or it just looked awkward because the 3d.

Anyway what's up with the animation? They keep switching between 3D and 2D.

I think it's starting to look worse, it's the fifth episode already and I suppose hey have less time to polish the 3d, or to redraw in 2d on top of the 3d models.

The hug was akward as hell yes.

Narag

KADO 0

That was fairly impressive. I assume the episode 0 was meant to establish Shindo's competency before the events of the series proper swing into thing. After how grounded this episode was due to all the bureaucratic work, having it upended so heavily at the end was a smart decision to grab the viewer. Feels very much like my sort of thing so I'll slowly catch up over the weekend.

This is one of the sleeper hits of the season. I think it's totally engrossing, and each episode flies by for me.

If anyone's interested, Funimation will be streaming the dub for this starting tomorrow. They've announced some of the cast for the series too.

KADO 4

I appreciated that they covered the drawbacks to the Wam this episode. It seemed too good to be true, although it could be ok if they use it within reason (which probably wouldn't happen, unless zaShunina has planned for that too). Looking forward to seeing zaShunina's plan unfold next episode.

Hopefully we'll see Tsukai and Shindo square off more seriously in the future too, as I'd love to see each of them in a serious negotiation against each other.

Next episode will make or break the show if fucking kawaii scientist ruins it.

I keep falling asleep watching the prequel episode. Is it necessary?

Not really I guess. The main purpose of the episode is for the show to tell you just how much of a bureocratic badass the lead is. But it's not like the tone is so much more different in the rest of the show. Unless the second it turns into sci fi talks instead of engineering/science you stop falling asleep.

RangerBAD

The prequel episode does a lot to setup Shindo's character. We see the lengths he'll go to see things to fruition and his instincts about what side to pick. He won't always pick the bureaucrat's side just because he works for the government. Episode 4 illustrated that pretty well too. "Fire me. I can do more good from here." No real hesitation in going with his gut.

Not really I guess. The main purpose of the episode is for the show to tell you just how much of a bureocratic badass the lead is. But it's not like the tone is so much more different in the rest of the show. Unless the second it turns into sci fi talks instead of engineering/science you stop falling asleep.

As Woofington said, it's not really necessary, but if you're bored by the prologue episode it's pretty likely the rest of the show will bore you as well

I like dialogue heavy shows if it's interesting. The premise of this warrants giving it an actual try. I'll give it another go when I'm not up late.

KADO: The Right Answer 0 (Simuldub)

Good casting choices for the dub. Sounds like some of the voices are relatively newcomers, but they all sound good so far. Shindo and Hanamori fit well, and from the snippets in the preview most of the other people sound fitting as well.

Rewatching Episode 0 was actually kind of a nice reminder of some things regarding Shindo and his negotiating skills.

Taruranto

Kado #5

Do you guys think by Episode 8 the anime will have completed its transition to 2D?

I think some people were complain that the previous episodes sorta came off as nationalistic, but I didn't feel like it this episode.

I think the situation makes sense, Japan has Wam, people naturally want to control and seize the Wam.

Hype for ISIS getting the Wam next episode.

Looks like I hated Kawaii scientist for the wrong reasons.

I mean I still dislike her for being kawaii and tonally out of place with most other characters besides of course the other goofball government character.

But I can't approve of this tomfoolery of a conflict resolution. In a show about bureaucracy and first contact THIS is how you solve your issue?

Eridani

This show is just way too dumb at this point. This isn't how science works. This isn't how dimensions work. You can't just learn how to make dimensional portals out of ordinary paper by looking at advanced alien technology for a couple of hours. And if you could, what was even the point of all this? Why did zaShunina spend days making the bloody things if you can just fold up some paper and get the same thing in minutes? Why not just show people how to make the bloody things themselves? Surely he knows how they work, seeing as a human scientist managed to figure it out in a couple of hours just by looking at them (she didn't even use any equipment! She just looked at the things really hard). It's hard to take a sci-fi show seriously when it treats science like this.

And the subtle nationalism is getting a bit annoying. Oh no, we can't hand over the Wam to other countries because they will surely only use them only for their own gain. Not Japan though, Japan would definitely use them for the good of all mankind, no questions asked. When you're trying to have a story focused on international politics, such a rose colored, simplistic view just isn't very interesting.

I am willing to keep watching the show for its interesting premise considering Anime.

But what yeah the poster above is dead on. It undermines scientific achievement. They also try to make it seem OK by having the lead old scientist going "oh she isn't only smart. She's super. Duper. Smart. If I'm 1 Nobel prize, she's like 2. No. One. Million. Fifillion"

What they should have done is I don't know, come up with a proper diplomatic solution that used the leads supposed god status in debating and negotiation. In this world you aren't going to please everybody, and they attempted to do it in this episode, but do so in a better manner aching to the political science fiction you are attempting to tell me.

And yes to add insult to injury all of these discoveries are done by the worst possible fucking character.

Ascheroth

By Aidios you guys are quick to give up on something the moment something looks unbelievable even if we're working with limited information and are dealing with Alien technology in a show that has generally been pretty smart.

We don't even know what exactly happened in the room. Heck, we don't even know why the hell zaShunina wanted Shindo even in there (and Mifune even specifically commented on that, and it was never answered or shown).

She looked at paper with her kawaii face and then the show shifts to a shot of her saying "that's it. I didn't understand anything to begin with. I am kawaii death. Destroyer of worlds"

I'm not going to stop watching, but the show isn't the second coming of christ as I had hoped.

Eridani

By Aidios you guys are quick to give up on something the moment something looks unbelievable even if we're working with limited information and are dealing with Alien technology in a show that has generally been pretty smart.

We don't even know what exactly happened in the room. Heck, we don't even know why the hell zaShunina wanted Shindo even in there (and Mifune even specifically commented on that, and it was never answered or shown).

I'm sorry, but having at least somewhat believable science is kind of the foundation of good sci-fi for me. Folding paper to create a dimensional hole and access a dimension with infinite power is so far out there that I just can't take the show seriously any more. It's dumb even by anime standards. If, in the next episode, the show suddenly backtracks and says "hey actually, what was shown in the last episode didn't really happen! It was all a trick!", then that will actually be hilarious enough for me to keep watching, but it won't actually make the show particularly good. The whole paper-bending-infinite-energy is obviously meant to be taken completely seriously though. If it didn't, the plan would be very silly.

I'm also definitely not suddenly turning around/giving up. So far, the show was mostly an unexciting, by-the-numbers first contact story. Nothing I'd really call good, but it had some promise so I kept watching. I wouldn't really call it "pretty smart" (the kawaii scientist was always how the show presented its scientists after all). I'd say it was always walking a thin line between interesting sci-fi and the worst kind of anime nonsense. This episode took a giant step towards the later.

Kado 2-3

So I finally got back to this. It's ok, but while the Kado side of things(The technology, the thing itself and what it does) is cool, I think that the human side of it lacks the interesting omph! to makes this kind of show more then ok so far.

Kado 4

Hinamori and the other negotiator girl bigger presence this episode definitely helped my character problem. The car scene was pretty funny and really established what kind of character the girl is and the moments with Hinamori were just good, I really like the guy.

Loona

I have never enjoyed a show that amounts to people just talking so much in my life.

When this ends or between episodes, consider looking into Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

What keeps feeling odd about the show is how nobody seems to question what may happen if the energy from the Wam stops - they don't understand the technology, what extra-dimensional principles apply to these devices that oh so conveniently work whether you plug them to a handheld device or a whole country's power grid.
If they don't understand what keeps the perpetual energy device working, what can they do to prepare for the supposedly low possibility of it failing.

If they plug that into a hospital, won't they need a traditional backup power system to keep things working anyway in case of emergency?

I don't know, I just keep thinking "what happens if the tap is shut down?", and that it never comes up in the show unnerves me... maybe it'll come up in the following episodes.

Anyway, loved episode 0, and the grounded foundation it provided for everything else since.

Kado Ep 6

This show is at its strongest when it keeps away from lazy magical science concepts and just focuses on the first contact aspect alongside the day to day activities of the governmental team handling everything.

The ending was unexpected but I had my doubts everything was well when the topic was brought up earlier in the episode and focused on for a scene. There is little to no reason to have that scene without it being relevant for the future, and behold it was.

I hope next episode they continue to have minimal presence of kawaii scientist.

Anyone have more shows like this. Been watching a lot of DB Super and need something with a bit more thought process.

How old are you willing to go? And what do you mean by thought process? Something more thought provoking, or something low key with more intelligent individuals having discussions vs people screaming at each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom