• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what sells more Injustice 2 or Marvel vs Capcom: Infinity?

Ashtar

Please post what you think will sell more and why

Personally I think even though MCU is bigger than DCCU (or whatever the hell it's called) WB and Netherrealm have much more main stream cache and marketing strength.

Street Fighter IV best selling edition was 3.4 million and it's total sales for all 5 versions combined was 8.6 million and I don't think it's a stretch to say most of the people who bought the game bought more than one version

In comparison Mortal Kombat X Sold over 5 million units in a few months I dont have reliable numbers for injustice one but it sold at least 1 million copies and has probably been played by a lot more than that considering it was free on playstation plus at one point.

Additionally with it's very flashy finishing moves, stage transitions I think it'll be the better seller.

Edit: looks like I can't make a poll for some odd reason..... strange

JeTmAn81

Given NRS's sales records I want to say Injustice but Marvel's brand is incredibly strong right now so that could be an...X-Factor.

Shaanyboi

Banned
A Marvel vs. DC discussion. I predict this going well.

Anyway, I'm not sure if MKX is the right game to compare I2 to. Wouldn't it make more sense to compare it to the original?

Injustice 2 and it wont even be close. Casual fighting game fans love Netherrealm Games.

Hell even Tekken 7 will probably outsell MvC:I.

JusDoIt

Injustice 2 will sell more, and people will stop playing it in a year and a half.

MvC:I will barely hit Capcom's sales expectations and people will keep playing it for the better part of the next decade.

Injustice appeals to the non fighting game crowd more than mvc, even though im not super into fighters and i love mvc, plus its netherrealms with wb's backing so i suspect it will be injustice

Safe money is on Injustice. Netherrealm's games do very well with a mainstream crowd outside of the FGC, and Injustice 2 seems to be playing directly to that crowd. I also doubt Capcom is going to outspend WB on marketing.

MvC will have longer legs, though.

smurfx

get some go again
did capcom spend a lot of money advertising mvc3? i don't remember. if disney decides to use their marketing muscle i think this game will sell a ton.

Injustice 2. Probably by a pretty large gap as well.

Though Marvel is general is a much bigger deal now than back when the older MvC games released so that should help give it some decent sales.

But NR knows exactly how to make fighting games for the mainstream

Ōkami

The first Injustice sold more than any Mahvel game, so.

This thread reminds me of the discussion of weather or not Mortal Kombat was more popular than Street Fighter, and we know how that one ended up.

s_mirage

Unless Capcom actually manage to put out a game with lots of content for casual players, something they haven't done in years, Injustice.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has blown up and been a box office phenomenon worldwide, while the DC Universe has been disappointing to many. I think the fact that MvC:I is focusing on the Avengers will help skyrocket sales. They just cannot afford a fucked up launch like SFV.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think Injustice 2 will sell more. I honestly think that Capcom fighting games have a reputation for not being new player friendly. NetherRealm games can be deep, but a button masher can do something cool every once in a while.

fernoca

Though I don't get the comparisons in the main post. :p

Why Street Fighter IV, but not SFV?
Why no mention of MvC3/UMvC3 which did over 3 million copies?

Injustice 2 has hype and Netherrealm branding but some backlash around the DCU movies.

MvC has some backlash from SFV, but the MCU movies hype is through the roof.

That said, I2 will sell amazingly well...but I'm not sure around how well will MvCI sell.

Do we even need to ask this question?

Its like asking if the PS4 or the Ouya gonna sell more this year.

Obviously Injustice 2.

Alrus

Injustice. NRS games usually sell really well, are more accessible and have clearly better production values.

MVC3 didn't sell particularly well.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has blown up and been a box office phenomenon worldwide, while the DC Universe has been disappointing to many. I think the fact that MvC:I is focusing on the Avengers will help skyrocket sales. They just cannot afford a fucked up launch like SFV.

Thing is Injustice 1 was already a huge seller, and NR has only become a bigger powerhouse since then. Injustice 2 will be pretty huge unless it somehow ends up totally sucking

There are a lot of current Marvel games that let you play as most of the big Marvel characters, however with DC, a lot of the time you're only going to get to play a character in one game every few years, if at all. So I think because of that Injustice will grab more people, many that wouldn't even be interested in a fighting game otherwise.

Probably Injustice but I expect NetherRealm to drop the ball again. Marvel will probably be supported as long as Capcom can unless their contract is shit again. Injustice will be dropped in 2 years (if that) for the next Mortal Kombat again.

Unless MvC:I has a beefy amount of single-player content it's easily going to be Injustice. I'm the most casual of casual fighting game players and I buy NRS games because of the single-player content.

Also, I predict that this thread will eventually devolve into people arguing FGC viability/longetivity vs. sales.

blakep267

Injustice by a mile. Not only did they improve on the story it looks like, they also added in the armor and customization elements that's going to appeal to even more people

Top Bottom