• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what sells more Injustice 2 or Marvel vs Capcom: Infinity?

ZeroX03

Banned
You're crazy if you think Marvel is beating Injustice. This isn't DC vs. Marvel. It's a well marketed game that casuals love vs. good gameplay held back by whatever Capcom inevitably fucks up. Historically we're looking at a gap of 1-2 million.

FinKL

Injustice.

The world is not fair I've been loving the Marvel Capcom games since I was a kid, but the graphics, content, and ease of access of Injustice will take it. (I've never played Injustice but I assume it's like Tekken where random button mashing will get combos and moves to come out and they'll look cool)

Look at MK. That sets precedent. I'm sure they'll maybe push some ads during each Marvel movie, but the game just doesn't look up to snuff when you put it side to side with Injustice.

Khezu

I think NRS and WB did a good job when creating Injustice with it's branding and making it it's own distinct universe. Along with giving it a very simple and memorable name, and not something like DC fighting universe or MKvsDC2boogaloo.

It has helped get it's name out there in the mindspace of casuals, all kinds of people know what Injustice is, and are weirdly invested in it outside of the gameplay.

So I think Injustice 2 will sell more.

However, I think with the popularity of the MCU and Marvel in general, that could be a big boost, and if Marvel/Disney was willing to fork over a higher budget for better production values and marketing, I think MVCI could have done very well.
I'm not sure that's going to happen now though.

I remember a gamescoop where they said MKX was the most searched game on IGN that year, Netherrealm is crazy popular with people who don't post on Neogaf or attend EVO.

dlauv

Capcom & Disney should get WB to produce their game. They'd probably do it happily.

Do NRS fighters really lack so much depth or is that just a Capcom buyer's remorse myth? The MK side seems pretty happy, but I think MKX let them down or something last time I checked. I'm more of a Capcom guy myself.

Injustice 2 will sell more, and people will stop playing it in a year and a half.

MvC:I will barely hit Capcom's sales expectations and people will keep playing it for the better part of the next decade.

Pretty much this.

Both games have completely different objectives and roles within the video game sphere.

The same thing with SF5 vs MKX. MKX sold way more with super light casuals (which is what they were aiming for), but SF5 has a more loyal fan base that is helping push the competitive fighting game genre forward (which is what they were aiming for).

NRS is way bigger than Capcom.

People seem to forget this.

NRS isn't just NRS. It's WARNER BROTHERS.
I remember seeing ads for NRS games on bus stops. Don't remember that when MK was being made by Midway.

Capcom is just Capcom, a video game company.

Kasper

Injustice 2 will easily outsell MvC4. Me, being a filthy casual when it comes to fighters, actually enjoy NRS fighting games while I find most others to be daunting to even try to play, and I suspect the same goes for a lot of people.

Khezu

I remember a gamescoop where they said MKX was the most searched game on IGN that year, Netherrealm is crazy popular with people who don't post on Neogaf or attend EVO.

You can just look at youtube viewership for this.

That Darkseid trailer just came out 3 hours ago and is at 160,000 views already.

If you go to IGN's youtube, some of the highest viewed vidoes are Injustice or MK related.
Some random footage of 15 minutes of Injustice 2 when it first got revealed has 8 million+ views on their channel.

Injustice 2 will definitely beat MvC:I hands down. NRS games sell a ton more compared to most Japanese fighters nowadays plus their games are a bit easier to get into compared to dat crazy Mahvel. Thing is though, MvC:I will have a loooooooot longer lifespan than Injustice 2 even if I2 had a ton of new content after it's released.

Jaeger

So Street Fighter V is at 1.6 million copies shipped while Mortal Kombat X is more in the 6-7+ million range.

Capcom (as a company, and IP's, and people employed) is bigger than NRS. That was the comparison. If we are talking about game sales (which we weren't), why cherry pick those two games? How about Capcom's entire catalog ever versus NRS'? I don't see where this is going.

WB Interactive Entertainment dwarfs Capcom, if you want a more accurate comparison. But I still don't think Capcom has any this game close to MKX's numbers.

No clue what the parent company has to do with a NRS versus Capcom comparison.

DR2K

Banned
So Street Fighter V is at 1.6 million copies shipped while Mortal Kombat X is more in the 6-7+ million range.

SFIV outsold MK9 and MVC3 outsold Injustice.

MKX released in a less competitive window a year earlier and SFV was a big mess on its own merit, on less platforms, releasing in a crowded holiday season.

Capcom releases MVCI without all the pitfalls and it's not going to be the same difference.

Injustice 2 has had a really great ramp up in their marketing. The steady trickle of character reveals and story trailers has kept Injustice 2 in the zeitgeist since it was announced. Plus, they had a beta that people could play and media outlets could stream.

Compare that to how bad Capcom and Marvel seem to be handling MvC's current marketing. They released some stock gameplay footage and let a few outlets write up some preview coverage. It felt really random and I think by next week people will have forgotten about it. In the meantime, I'm sure Injustice 2 will have another story trailer or another character reveal!

Oh, and there's the fact that the Injustice comic series is pretty well regarded. Enough so that even those who don't read comics hear about it.

I would go out in a limb and say that injustice 2 will sell more in its first month than MvCI in its lifetime.

MvCI will still be played, especially at thebtorunament level with tons of turn out , for the next 4 years though while injustice 2 will drop heavily within its first year.

Eidan

I've been playing fighting games my entire life. Grew up on Street Fighter II and the original Mortal Kombat games. SNK titles, KI, Tekken, Soul Calibur. I've loved and played them all.

NetherRealms outsells Capcom fighters because NetherRealms makes much better games than Capcom. It's not even really close.

Mesoian

Marvel.

We have 3 Marvel movies coming out this year, all of which containing characters from MvsCi. A better tie in game couldn't be asked for. With Wonder Woman seemingly being sabotaged by it's own studio and Justice League having rumblings of being a complete flop, the marketing game for Marvel is a slam dunk.

Now what will be the better game? That's up for debate and I think Injustice could take it. But year one? Marvel with a bullet. And that's if Marvel and Capcom decide to do a terrible job marketing the game again. Something tells me they'll go a little bit beyond preroll ads and enthusiast press.

This is mostly due to Capcom completely flubbing the first year of SF5.

Honestly, if Injustice does outsell Marvel, the safe bet is it'll be because of something completely stupid that Capcom does in the late stages that makes the whole thing come tumbling down upon itself.

Capcom's worst enemy, every single time, is Capcom.

ZeroX03

Banned
No clue what the parent company has to do with a NRS versus Capcom comparison.

Because Capcom is a publisher, NRS is a developer. The publisher for Injustice 2 is WBIE. If you're arguing to include entire rosters of games, it's pretty uneven considering they're two different beasts. It'd be unfair to compare Capcom with Time Warner, the big parent. NRS vs. Capcom was a silly comparison to start with.

Injustice 2 has had a really great ramp up in their marketing. The steady trickle of character reveals and story trailers has kept Injustice 2 in the zeitgeist since it was announced. Plus, they had a beta that people could play and media outlets could stream.

Compare that to how bad Capcom and Marvel seem to be handling MvC's current marketing.

NRS was dead silent for a long time before really getting started with promotion.

Capcom has pretty much just entered the same period that NRS started earlier this year.

And, I'm certain Capcom will have playable versions of this game availalbe for the public during the coming months.

NetherRealms outsells Capcom fighters because NetherRealms makes much better games than Capcom.

Gosh, I can't see how anyone could possibly contest that claim. Especially on the internet.

jrush64

Banned
Marvel.

We have 3 Marvel movies coming out this year, all of which containing characters from MvsCi. A better tie in game couldn't be asked for. With Wonder Woman seemingly being sabotaged by it's own studio and Justice League having rumblings of being a complete flop, the marketing game for Marvel is a slam dunk.

Now what will be the better game? That's up for debate and I think Injustice could take it. But year one? Marvel with a bullet. And that's if Marvel and Capcom decide to do a terrible job marketing the game again. Something tells me they'll go a little bit beyond preroll ads and enthusiast press.

giphy.gif

OT, I think Injustice will sell better, it looks more fun to play to be honest. MvC would also sell pretty well too but we need to know what the single player content will be apart from the story mode.

Renekton

I've been playing fighting games my entire life. Grew up on Street Fighter II and the original Mortal Kombat games. SNK titles, KI, Tekken, Soul Calibur. I've loved and played them all.

NetherRealms outsells Capcom fighters because NetherRealms makes much better games than Capcom. It's not even really close.
Well not mechanically. Capcom fighters usually have better core mechanics for fighting game purists.

Injustice 2 obviously

NRS games have SP content and they cater to casuals. Marvel doesn't stand a chance going by Capcom's track record and Injustice 1 sales.

Both games will suck balls compared to Tekken 7

Khezu

As far as tournament play is concerned that's obviously Marvel winning, by a landslide.

I think Injustice 2 is going to do pretty poorly in that aspect. I think it will do worse then MKX did, draw worse numbers from the start and die quicker.

It's DLC support and updates will last longer then MKX, but it won't really help, as only the dire hard NRS players are going to stick with it.

Skilletor

Not too hard to understand.

Injustice and MK are way bigger fighting game IPs, as far as sales go, than MvC and SF.

This topic is OBVIOUSLY about fighting games and sales, so my comment should have obviously been taken as reference to how the fighting games are going to sale, but...whatever.

Eidan

Well not mechanically. Capcom fighters usually have better core mechanics for fighting game purists.
I know that the FGC prefers Capcom fighters, but I'm honestly not convinced that Capcom's core mechanics are drastically superior to that seen in, let's say, MKX. And if they were, it really just shows that a game needs much more than core mechanics to be a great game.

Skilletor

I know that the FGC prefers Capcom fighters, but I'm honestly not convinced that Capcom's core mechanics are drastically superior to that seen in, let's say, MKX. And if they were, it really just shows that a game needs much more than core mechanics to be a great game.

Not really. Just means people have different definitions of what a great game is.

Ashtar

As far as tournament play is concerned that's obviously Marvel winning, by a landslide.

I think Injustice 2 is going to do pretty poorly in that aspect. I think it will do worse then MKX did, draw worse numbers from the start and die quicker.

It's DLC support and updates will last longer then MKX, but it won't really help, as only the dire hard NRS players are going to stick with it.
We re not talking tournament
We re talking sales

cordy

Banned
Man, we gotta revive this thread when those 6 month sales come out because all of these answers for Marvel, wow. Yall don't know how this shit goes lol.

Neoxon

Injustice 2 will sell more, and people will stop playing it in a year and a half.

MvC:I will barely hit Capcom's sales expectations and people will keep playing it for the better part of the next decade.
That's what I'm expecting, though I'll say that Injustice 2 lasts 2-3 years.

That said, the popularity of the MCU could help out MvCI.

Top Bottom