• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what sells more Injustice 2 or Marvel vs Capcom: Infinity?

Euphor!a

Banned
From the direction Infinite seems to be going, I can see it being supported for far, far longer than Injustice 2. In the long run it will outsell Injustice 2, even if it doesn't initially.

One thing people shouldn't overlook is that graphics mean a big deal to the broad demo, and Injustice 2 looks downright gorgeous. In fact its the most visually ambitious fighting game ever imo, the latest videos of its build look fantastic. That goes a LONG way in marketing.

blakep267

People who think Marvel will sell more must also think Street Fighter 5 has sold a shit load.

The fact that it looks like a 60 dollar mobile game doesnt help. You can get Contest of Champions for free.
Pretty much. Injustice is going to sell at least 4 million copies. MvC will be lucky to do a little bit better than street fighter.

Not only does it have a much more harsher launch datw(September vs May) they are going to need to really ring it and it half ass it with barebones content

Also just because Marvel is popular doesn't mean it automatically translates to games

Sesha

IJ2 will probably sell more. The visuals (art style, overall fidelity and detail) appeal more to a general audience. And outside of the character count it will probably have more content out the gate than Infinite, which will count for a lot. Also Injustice is probably more recognizable as a franchise to a general audience than Marvel vs. Capcom.

Injustice.

It's something like Japanese action games ( the likes of Bayonetta / DMC ) against Western action games ( Shadow of Mordor ) etc. The mainstream audience looks at the gameplay of Marvel Vs Capcom and goes nah.

This has been the trends for years, it's only a matter of time before it hits the fighting genre. This is also why I advocate Japanese companies concentrating on Asia. The Korean and Chinese sure much more similar preferences to their domestic audience.

Actually they'll look at the graphics and go "nah".

He said it's closer to 4 million and that was 4 years ago (2 years before MKX released) so it definitely sold more after that tweet. Either way it outsold any version of SF4, which is supposed to be the game that "brought back" the genre. Impressive for a game with bad mechanics (according to FGC experts)

SF4 definitely brought back the genre. MK9 kame out in 2011, three years after SF4. You don't think SF4's success have any effect?

I'd put money on Injustice. They've built up a large mainstream audience due to their single player content and the new one looks solid. MvC has always been a bit niche and inaccessible even with the Marvel brand. Though Marvel is definitely bigger now then it used to be, MvC will need to build up a reputation for quality single player content to compete.

Injustice 2 will sell more I think. Marvel looks a little rough at the moment. The backgrounds are lifeless too.
I dont know anything about DC characters really, but even I will buy Injustice 2 if the character customization is good. Console cross play would be a huge incentive too, considering I live in a small market (Australia).

blakep267

From the direction Infinite seems to be going, I can see it being supported for far, far longer than Injustice 2. In the long run it will outsell Injustice 2, even if it doesn't initially.
Looking at SFV struggling a year later, it'll remain popular among the hardcore but it's likely not going to continue selling to newcomers

The Marvel Universe feels like it's so much larger than it was when MvC3 dropped. I've seen some offhand remarks about Infinite looking a bit more friendly to the casual crowd too, but I couldn't make that judgment myself. Sure, Injustice has the "made by the guys that brought you Mortal Kombat" label, but I'd say Infinite has a good shot at edging it out this time. I'd expect both to be pretty good games though.

Edit: reading a bit more into the thread and I'm seeing too many good reasons to go with Injustice​. Perhaps the Marvel brand really isn't strong enough to carry it. If it launched alongside Avengers then perhaps it'd be different.

cordy

Banned
I really wish I could have made a poll, but the overwhelming support for injustice 2 actually had me worried we know gaf doesn't have the pulse of the average gamer

Yeah

NRS games are the Drake albums of the FGC. No matter what people say about their quality, they sell gangbusters above all of the competition.

Renekton

One thing people shouldn't overlook is that graphics mean a big deal to the broad demo, and Injustice 2 looks downright gorgeous. In fact its the most visually ambitious fighting game ever imo, the latest videos of its build look fantastic. That goes a LONG way in marketing.
Graphics eh? Then T7 will outsell both 😀 easy.

Plus I2 still has the low-rent ragdoll animations from previous gen.

ReaperXL7

I don't buy Capcom fighters anymore because I don't play competitively and since I don't they don't offer much for me in the long run.

NRS goes all in with Story modes, challenge modes, unlocks, secrets, Easter eggs, and on top of all that they are now adding character customization and RPG mechanics.They continue to build on the things that the FGC typically doesn't seem to want but the general audience does. I'll believe that Capcom can compete in this area when they actually do it, not before.

NRS are kings of providing fighting games that appeal to casual Fans with lots of content. Capcom has catered hard to the FGC for awhile now and it shows in how unless you only want to play their games at tournaments or competitively that there just isn't much else there.

As far as Namco goes I was always a bigger fan of Soul Calibur, and Namco did its best to strip SC of much of its SP or extra content, and then killed it completely.

Jaeger

Because Capcom is a publisher, NRS is a developer. The publisher for Injustice 2 is WBIE. If you're arguing to include entire rosters of games, it's pretty uneven considering they're two different beasts. It'd be unfair to compare Capcom with Time Warner, the big parent. NRS vs. Capcom was a silly comparison to start with.

Yea no, I am confused. This isn't even worth anymore attention simply due to the clear difference in what we are even talking about.

In terms of sales, I can confidently see I2 selling more mostly due to WB running a better advertising campaign.

Synth

SF4 definitely brought back the genre. MK9 kame out in 2011, three years after SF4. You don't think SF4's success have any effect?

Well, to be fair... that WAS Mortal Kombat 9. We were at Mortal Kombat 4 when Street Fighter last left off.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Injustice. Its not even close. Warner Bros is publishing, theyve put out hit after hit this gen.

Modern day Capcom is a mess. Theres Resident Evil 7 and... REmake HD?

Graphics eh? Then T7 will outsell both �� easy.

Injustice 2 looks more impressive to me then Tekken 7 does (Though Tekken is indeed a great looking game). The character models, stages, stage interactions, and supers are absurdly impressive

The latest build we see in the Darkseid and Braniac reveals is incredible

https://youtu.be/J0f3t9Z850M

https://youtu.be/fWUOu_lawBc

RocBase

Agreed. I don't doubt Capcom is still tuning things, but if you're trying to get people on board NOW and up against the aesthetic polish of Tekken and Injustice, it's kind of a losing situation.

Euphor!a

Banned
Looking at SFV struggling a year later, it'll remain popular among the hardcore but it's likely not going to continue selling to newcomers

idk, when they start adding new characters for years in time with the new movies, I see it having much better legs.

Compbros

SFIV brought the genre to a mainstream awareness but even the worst MK in history sold over a million copies when the genre was pretty much considered dead. The last MK to come out before SFIV sold almost 2 million copies. MK games sell even when fighting games don't.

Gren

Agreed. I don't doubt Capcom is still tuning things, but if you're trying to get people on board NOW and up against the aesthetic polish of Tekken and Injustice, it's kind of a losing situation.

Eh, I think NRS fighters (and especially Injustice) are at the end of the pack when it comes to animations & poses though. Something about them just looks...off.

Graphics eh? Then T7 will outsell both �� easy.

Nah Injustice looks WAY better both technically and artwise. Tekken took too long to release on console its already outdated.

Animations are aesthetically awful though for Injustice. They should try and deviate as much from Mortal Kombat is possible if they are going to continue releasing a new game every 2 years or so.

Jaeger

Eh, I think NRS fighters (and especially Injustice) are at the end of the pack when it comes to animations & poses though. Something about them just looks...off.

That was definitely the case with some of their previous work, but after this thread I was encouraged to look at some I2 stuff (which I hadn't seen a thing up until now) and it's a markedly drastic improvement over the first game. Even their faces look really good this time around. I am very surprised.

I may actually try and play this one this time around. I avoided the first one for reasons.

Nah Injustice looks WAY better both technically and artwise. Tekken took too long to release on console its already outdated.

I have never disagreed with someone so much than right now.

DR2K

Banned
Well, to be fair... that WAS Mortal Kombat 9. We were at Mortal Kombat 4 when Street Fighter last left off.

Street Fighter had the alpha and EX games. MK just decided to number their alpha and EX games as mainline ones.

Injustice. Its not even close. Warner Bros is publishing, theyve put out hit after hit this gen.

Modern day Capcom is a mess. Theres Resident Evil 7 and... REmake HD?

There's Monster Hunter, sells millions on no budget and really only advertised in Japan.

Smash isn't a fighting game, so I don't know why it's being brought up in this thread.

tenor.gif

yeah... no. Injustice's art style is ugly af, just like most other NR games.

and before anyone says it, Infinite isn't looking too hot either.

Tekken, on the other hand, looks great.

Jaeger

yeah... no. Injustice's art style is ugly af, just like most other NR games.

and before anyone says it, Infinite isn't looking too hot either.

Tekken, on the other hand, looks great.

I agree that Tekken looks fantastic. Marvel doesn't look bad to me and I don't get what some people are seeing of it graphically.

Shadoken

How much did IJ1 sell?

Final numbers for MvC3 and UMvC3 did 2.2m and 1.2m respectively. Those dont seem like great numbers , so I think Injustice will end up selling more.

3.5+ million > 3.4 million

He said it's closer to 4 million and that was 4 years ago (2 years before MKX released) so it definitely sold more after that tweet. Either way it outsold any version of SF4, which is supposed to be the game that "brought back" the genre. Impressive for a game with bad mechanics (according to FGC experts)

How is this even a fair comparison?

SFIV Vanilla got replaced by SSF4 the very next year.
Also if you want to count without any overlap SSF4 alone sold 5m+ ( This includes Physical SKUs of AE and Ultra ) . Since SSF4 could be upgraded to AE and Ultra via DLC. So there isnt any overlap of the same players.

Its kinda iffy to compare SFIV and MK9 sales directly , since MK9 was able to sell throughout its lifetime. SFIV kept getting upgrade , which makes it much harder for just one version to sell a lot.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's crazy and sad that there's such a saturation of Marvel mechandise out on the market. The movies really got the brand back on its feet. I remember playing all the X-Men and Avengers games in the last two decades or more. Capcom has always been the top developer when it came to making fighters, but I really don't know what to expect with MvC:I. It has a very similar cast of characters. They aren't really blowing us away outside of characters most people know how to play. Sigma and Ultron sound awesome, but it feels like MvC3 minus Galactus.

Injustice 2 looks to have quite a bit of new content for fans. Marvel Super Heroes was a very fun game with the infinity stones, but I'm not convinced it's something completely brand new.

I was somewhat thrown back at Injustice 2's announcement trailer with the armor and neon lights. It looked new. It had that WB/DC charm like decorations during Christmas season.

I really want to see MvC:I do well, but like a few posts already said.. casuals will probably get Injustice 2 just for the DC content.

Most of MvC:I's cast I can play now and that's not always been a problem. If you go back to X-Men vs SF to M vs SF you still have a diverse cast. The cast in MvC1-3 are very diverse. MvC:I hasn't shown its true appeal if you ask me. I'm also pissed they haven't included any other X-Men characters.

That's true about SFIV. 2008 was a huge year and there were a lot of people playing. People who hadn't played in years were trying it out. I love Capcom, but I have no idea what they need to do in order to top SFIV.

Probably Injustice 2 since NRS knows how to make a casual-friendly game for the kiddies. Capcom's never understood how to attract the casual crowd with their fighting games.

DR2K

Banned
Probably Injustice 2 since NRS knows how to make a casual-friendly game for the kiddies. Capcom's never understood how to attract the casual crowd with their fighting games.

Street Fighter 2 was a cultural phenomenon. Street Fighter IV was the reason MK9 went back to its roots as a 2D fighter and revitalized the genre. You'd probably be playing shitty 3D NRS fighters now.

SFV was a big misstep, but let's not rewrite history.

jjonez18

Pshh Tekken 7 is taking the fighting game crown

But out of those two superhero-inspired fighters, I'm going with Injustice. Warner Bros has no problem throwing money at marketing. Capcom however... I've kinda lost faith in them.

Tyaren

Talking about fighters' graphics: Imo Injustice 2 beats Tekken 7 in overall visuals easily. Tekken 7 has going for it, that it is in full 3D, which feels impressive (I myself do prefer 3D fighters over 2D fighters too) but in all other aspects Injustice 2 looks considerably better. It has the more detailed, more carefully crafted character models, characters are better animated, it has prettier, much more detailed stages and the stage transitions as well as the supers are nothing short of jaw dropping.

Ashtar

How much did IJ1 sell?

Final numbers for MvC3 and UMvC3 did 2.2m and 1.2m respectively. Those dont seem like great numbers , so I think Injustice will end up selling more.

How is this even a fair comparison?

SFIV Vanilla got replaced by SSF4 the very next year.
Also if you want to count without any overlap SSF4 alone sold 5m+ ( This includes Physical SKUs of AE and Ultra ) . Since SSF4 could be upgraded to AE and Ultra via DLC. So there isnt any overlap of the same players.

Its kinda iffy to compare SFIV and MK9 sales directly , since MK9 was able to sell throughout its lifetime. SFIV kept getting upgrade , which makes it much harder for just one version to sell a lot.
I'm not gonna lie I have no clue what you're talking about
I was going off Wikipedia which references capcom financials. So I don't know where you're getting that 4 million unit from care to share?

Shadoken

I'm not gonna lie I have no clue what you're talking about
I was going off Wikipedia which references capcom financials. So I don't know where you're getting that 4 million unit from care to share?

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

The sales for AE ,USF4 are for the individual SKU ( Full game by itself ). Not the $15 Upgrade. So there isnt really any overlap with SSF4 players. Players who own SSF4 would have just bought the 15$ upgrade to AE,Ultra. So Its more like a "GOTY edition" that replaces SSF4. Not gonna count the 3DS version since I dont think MK did well on the Vita. Mainly because Vita.

Edit: Also not counting SFIV Vanilla, Since that had noway for players to upgrade to SSF4. Hence there will be an overlap.

Westlo

lmao, not even close.

Jay-Z's diss to Prodigy applies to this situation....

No, you're not on my level, get your brakes tweaked
I sold what your whole album sold in my first week

I mean we've all seen how the long game is paying off for SFV in regards to sales.... gone from what 1.4million to 1.6 million? Don't worry guys, it will get past SFxTK by 2020 with that season 5 push.

vg260

Just in terms of how the MCU has helped with Marvel popularity in the mainstream, I'm not convinced that will help carry it to significantly bigger numbers than with past Marvel vs games. I don't think it being a vs game with half a Capcom cast will strictly hurt it with casual players, but I wonder if it not being a pure Marvel product lessens the appeal for the mass casual audience unlike Injustice 2 which can just be described as a DC hero game, and maybe an easier sell as a result.

Shadoken

I mean we've all seen how the long game is paying off for SFV in regards to sales.... gone from what 1.4million to 1.6 million? Don't worry guys, it will get past SFxTK by 2020 with that season 5 push.

A bad game with long term support wont sell. A good solid game with long term support will have long term gains.

vg260

Injustice, because a brain-dead spider monkey could play it.

Not that this is even worth responding to, but MvCI is going to have an easy combo option where you can mash a button to do an air launcher combo ending in a super if you have the meter.

Zaventem

I don't buy Capcom fighters anymore because I don't play competitively and since I don't they don't offer much for me in the long run.

NRS goes all in with Story modes, challenge modes, unlocks, secrets, Easter eggs, and on top of all that they are now adding character customization and RPG mechanics.They continue to build on the things that the FGC typically doesn't seem to want but the general audience does. I'll believe that Capcom can compete in this area when they actually do it, not before.

NRS are kings of providing fighting games that appeal to casual Fans with lots of content. Capcom has catered hard to the FGC for awhile now and it shows in how unless you only want to play their games at tournaments or competitively that there just isn't much else there.

As far as Namco goes I was always a bigger fan of Soul Calibur, and Namco did its best to strip SC of much of its SP or extra content, and then killed it completely.

Now that you mention it Soul Callibur was one of the possibly only eastern developed franchises that goes in with single player content. You need more than a multiplayer fanbase in this day and age and it's something capcom doesn't understand.

Top Bottom