• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what sells more Injustice 2 or Marvel vs Capcom: Infinity?

Ashtar

Man, we gotta revive this thread when those 6 month sales come out because all of these answers for Marvel, wow. Yall don't know how this shit goes lol.
I really wish I could have made a poll, but the overwhelming support for injustice 2 actually had me worried we know gaf doesn't have the pulse of the average gamer

Not too hard to understand.

Injustice and MK are way bigger fighting game IPs, as far as sales go, than MvC and SF.

This topic is OBVIOUSLY about fighting games and sales, so my comment should have obviously been taken as reference to how the fighting games are going to sale, but...whatever.

Obviously...

but seriously, do we have any indication of how the original Injustice sold? All we know is that it was in the NPD top 10 3 months in a row when it originally released. And both versions of MvC3 sold over 3 million combined.

And SFIV outsold MK9 as far as I'm aware... so this idea that Netherrealm games have always been bigger seems unfounded. Yes MKX did insanely well, far better than SFV, but that's one instance and doesn't necessarily dictate how Injustice vs MvC:I will go.

I'm gonna buy Marvel in a heartbeat. I have no interest in Injustice 2 whatsoever.

Injustice 2 will still sell significantly more.

Neoxon

It'll last until NRS starts putting all of its support and energy into MKXI.
So yeah, 2-3 years. Though there have been instances of NRS games dying out before that, as shown by Injustice 1. But NRS has gotten better in terms of getting their games to last, though I hope that they don't go crazy with the knee-jerk balance changes.

People who think Marvel will sell more must also think Street Fighter 5 has sold a shit load.

The fact that it looks like a 60 dollar mobile game doesnt help. You can get Contest of Champions for free.

Ashtar

Obviously...

but seriously, do we have any indication of how the original Injustice sold? All we know is that it was in the NPD top 10 3 months in a row when it originally released. And both versions of MvC3 sold about 2 million combined.

And SFIV outsold MK9 as far as I'm aware... so this idea that Netherrealm games have always been bigger seems unfounded. Yes MKX did insanely well, far better than SFV, but that's one instance and doesn't necessarily dictate how Injustice vs MvC:I will go.
Street fighter 4 only sold better when you count all the different iterations which were most likely the same core people buying multiple versions as sells went down with most version iirc
Mk9 was the best selling Mk until mkx not sure on the numbers
Edit: for reference
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamerant.com/mortal-kombat-9-sales-3-million-vivas-104879/amp/
the worldwide sales figures for Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 were 1.6 million units and 2 million units sold, respectively. The number is especially impressive when you look at the release dates: Street Fighter IV was released in February 2009, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was released in February this year. Considering that MK was released in April of this year.

Pretty sure MK9 sold more than any ONE version of SF4. Of course when you rehash the same shit 6 times you're gonna get more sales in the long run.

BBboy20

Despite the Marvel brand, it's still a fighter and that alone will probably be off-putting of those who want some interactive AAA Marvel action.

NetherRealms, overall, seems to have a stable repertoire and have been the most successful fighting developer for some time now. I'll choose Injustice 2.

Though, isn't this Disney vs Warner Brothers or Capcom vs Warner Brothers?

Street fighter 4 only sold better when you count all the different iterations which were most likely the same core people buying multiple versions as sells went down with most version iirc
Mk9 was the best selling Mk until mkx not sure on the numbers

Pretty sure MK9 sold more than any ONE version of SF4. Of course when you rehash the same shit 6 times you're gonna get more sales in the long run.

If it (MK9) did, it was very barely. MK9: between 3-4 million

SFIV (vanilla): 3.4 million

Skilletor

Obviously...

but seriously, do we have any indication of how the original Injustice sold? All we know is that it was in the NPD top 10 3 months in a row when it originally released. And both versions of MvC3 sold over 3 million combined.

Never said always.

As much as I absolutely love the Marvel series, Injustice is obviously going to win that by a long shot. There's really no doubt about that.

Reset

You should have compared MKX sales with SFV. :V

I'm going with Injustice outselling MvC, it'll appeal to more people thanks to having single player content.

hatchx

Banned
I kind of think Marvel vs Capcom. I'm surprised more people think Injustice 2 will do better.

MvC is like a nostalgic franchise and marvel movies are in the height of popularity.

I thought Injustice 1 was prettt mediocre too.

Edit- I haven't really been following either game so far...

MVCI will have single player content.

This isn't intended as a knock on Capcom, but NRS's been best in class when it comes to single player content for a fighter even going back to MK9 (I could throw MK vs DC in there since it did similar stuff).

They absolutely do not skimp on it

DR2K

Banned
This isn't intended as a knock on Capcom, but NRS's been best in class when it comes to single player content for a fighter even going back to MK9 (I could throw MK vs DC in there since it did similar stuff).

Right. Capcom is learning it's lesson, so it's not going to be SFV version 2.0.

3.5+ million > 3.4 million

He said it's closer to 4 million and that was 4 years ago (2 years before MKX released) so it definitely sold more after that tweet. Either way it outsold any version of SF4, which is supposed to be the game that "brought back" the genre. Impressive for a game with bad mechanics (according to FGC experts)

It seems strange that we're just discounting all the other versions of SFIV. Penty of new people bought into the updated versions, so not all of Super/AE/Ultra sales were rebuyers...

I didn't buy SFIV until Ultra... does that not count since it's not vanilla?

ZeroX03

Banned
Right. Capcom is learning it's lesson, so it's not going to be SFV version 2.0.

Yet still, it's almost certainly not going to be anywhere near the level of Injustice 2. I doubt they have that kind of budget even if they had the vision.

Skilletor

NRS has already cultivated a casual fanbase that knows what it's going to get from their fighters.

Capcom is trying to do that now, but we'll see if they succeed. It's the inverse of their cinematic universes. Marvel built up the fanbase over years, DC tried to shoehorn it.

That's what it looks like, imo. Maybe marvel fans will make up for it. I seriously doubt it, though.

RocBase

Haha...this thread will be interesting to read back on once they've released.

For now I'm also inclined to go with Injustice BUT I am curious to see how aggressive of a marketing push (assuming they even have plans for it) Marvel will do for their game.

Renekton

Better than Capcom sure, but below Namco.

fernoca

It seems strange that we're just discounting all the other versions of SFIV. Penty of new people bought into the updated versions, so not all of Super/AE/Ultra sales were rebuyers...

I didn't buy SFIV until Ultra... does that not count since it's not vanilla?
But then you need to add the numbers of the Komplete Edition of MK2011, Ultimate Edition of Injustice and XL to MKX.

Injustice UE did 900k on Steam alone, add PS4, Vita, PS3, 360...then add that, to the around 2 million of the first game on 360/PS3/Wii U.

MKX was at over 5 million before XL and MK2011 was at 3+ million before KE (which also added Vita as a platform, were it apparently sold quite well).

Then the games go back to the top charts digitally every time they are on sale.

So it is easier to just focus on one version. :p

DR2K

Banned
Yet still, it's almost certainly not going to be anywhere near the level of Injustice 2. I doubt they have that kind of budget even if they had the vision.

Being able to use UMVC3 as a base frees up resources so they couldn't before. SFIV, V, and MVC3 were both made from the ground up.

Better than Capcom sure, but below Namco.

Tekken 7's story mode looks good because I can toss a child into volcano, but before that they haven't done anything worth their salt since Edge Master Mode

If anything ArcSys fighters would be up there because they go all in with a visual novel style story mode, but they bitched out on dubbing a BlazBlue game so Idunno

Bronx-Man

Banned
Anyone saying I2 is getting 2-3 years of tourney play must be feeling pretty optimistic considering how fast the first Injustice died off.

Usobuko

Banned
Injustice.

It's something like Japanese action games ( the likes of Bayonetta / DMC ) against Western action games ( Shadow of Mordor ) etc. The mainstream audience looks at the gameplay of Marvel Vs Capcom and goes nah.

This has been the trends for years, it's only a matter of time before it hits the fighting genre. This is also why I advocate Japanese companies concentrating on Asia. The Korean and Chinese sure much more similar preferences to their domestic audience.

Marvel. Batman has a lot of pull in the US, but injustice is not Mortal Kombat and won't do it's numbers. I see this being the best selling Marvel yet. It will definitely have longer legs with dlc and all.. and I think it will be a better game even if you don't get everything you wanted from the previous games.

Now that being said.. warner bros. may slaughter Disney/ Capcom in the Marketing arena. MvC3 was made a lil bit after the Marvel acquisition, so with their new focus on the games division, we'll see how many dollars they put behind it.

That's seems to be the real battle, how they handle dlc, reviews, marketing and the community (just straight up awareness).

Haha, right?

Thread: So what sells more Injustice 2 or Marvel vs Capcom: Infinity?
"As far as tournament play is concerned..."

I mean... how difficult was the question?

I could see it being difficult for some to grasp.

Someone highly invested into competitive fighting games likely doesn't have much of a life outside of that.

BHK3

Banned
MVCI will have single player content.

theres no reason to believe them, SF5 came as barebones as possible and what they added in was pathetic. SF5 has sold unbelievably bad, while MKX sold 5 million in 7 months. General public > vocal fanbase, always.

MoogleMan

Marvel will outsell injustice 2 easily.
WB is skipping PC (at least at launch) for this one, so there's one less platform to sell on.

On top of that, the complete version of injustice is one hundred fucking dollars.

I'll wait for injustice 2XL for under $20...

Just out of curiosity, the MvsCI reveal that come out a couple of days ago has 332K views on it's most viewed channel, Injustice 2 Darkseid video that come out 4h ago has 201K.

fernoca

Marvel will outsell injustice 2 easily.
WB is skipping PC (at least at launch) for this one, so there's one less platform to sell on.

On top of that, the complete version of injustice is one hundred fucking dollars.

I'll wait for injustice 2XL for under $20...
Then, using that logic the complete version of MvCI is $90. :p

Grimsen

Subbed.

Regardless of quality, Injustice 2 will sell a lot more copies.

The crappy DC movies don't matter, since the game isn't based on them, and it would take much, much worse movies to make a dent in Batman's popularity in other mediums.

The Juggernaut that is the MCU might help MVC a little bit, but the game doesn't have a good enough presentation for mass appeal, and Capcom's reputation for single player content is in the shitter.

Top Bottom