• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what sells more Injustice 2 or Marvel vs Capcom: Infinity?

Probably Injustice.

I've always liked Marvel stuff more but I think the most successful vs game sold about as well as like the worst MK game. I doubt banning classic characters that 90s fans grew up with or that fans of the series have always been able to play and spinning it like we're stupid for missing them... I doubt that gives them the edge they need to take over DC. Probably the total opposite if anything. And the demo was abysmal and really worked hard to give you the impression the game would be terrible. Not to mention I think a lot of people weren't aware that they had some Fox-like beef with Netflix and as a result, no Luke Cage, no Jessica Jones (no women in general... another thing i'm sure doesn't help them in the DC fight), no Daredevil, no Punisher, no Elektra, no Hand members, no Iron Fist, and a bunch of pre-launch DLC already established (one just get one of the main Avengers)...

It'll be a success for me if 3 years down the road the game is still available for purchase and not ripped from shelves and banned from online markets like most Marvel vs titles are. Marvel and/or Capcom pretty showed us a case study on how not to market a game that could potentially have some mainstream appeal.

Ashtar

donald-trump-build-that-wall.gif

MVC. I think all the DC film shenanigans have done enough damage.

did capcom spend a lot of money advertising mvc3? i don't remember. if disney decides to use their marketing muscle i think this game will sell a ton.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has blown up and been a box office phenomenon worldwide, while the DC Universe has been disappointing to many. I think the fact that MvC:I is focusing on the Avengers will help skyrocket sales. They just cannot afford a fucked up launch like SFV.

I would say MVC if it had a good marketing

Marvel due to the brand alone.

Marvel easy

no block button

I'm going against the odds and betting on Marvel wildcard with Disney money...

My heart says Marvel, but my head also says Marvel.

Even with SFV's Season 2 and USFII flooding Capcom this year.

MVCI. Marvel is way bigger than DC. Especially since it's on more platforms and will release around the time frame of the movies.

Also Mortol Kombat is a much bigger name than NRS.

Marvel.

We have 3 Marvel movies coming out this year, all of which containing characters from MvsCi. A better tie in game couldn't be asked for. With Wonder Woman seemingly being sabotaged by it's own studio and Justice League having rumblings of being a complete flop, the marketing game for Marvel is a slam dunk.

Now what will be the better game? That's up for debate and I think Injustice could take it. But year one? Marvel with a bullet. And that's if Marvel and Capcom decide to do a terrible job marketing the game again. Something tells me they'll go a little bit beyond preroll ads and enthusiast press.

This is mostly due to Capcom completely flubbing the first year of SF5.

Honestly, if Injustice does outsell Marvel, the safe bet is it'll be because of something completely stupid that Capcom does in the late stages that makes the whole thing come tumbling down upon itself.

Capcom's worst enemy, every single time, is Capcom.

I kind of think Marvel vs Capcom. I'm surprised more people think Injustice 2 will do better.

MvC is like a nostalgic franchise and marvel movies are in the height of popularity.

I thought Injustice 1 was prettt mediocre too.

Edit- I haven't really been following either game so far...

Marvel. Batman has a lot of pull in the US, but injustice is not Mortal Kombat and won't do it's numbers. I see this being the best selling Marvel yet. It will definitely have longer legs with dlc and all.. and I think it will be a better game even if you don't get everything you wanted from the previous games.

Now that being said.. warner bros. may slaughter Disney/ Capcom in the Marketing arena. MvC3 was made a lil bit after the Marvel acquisition, so with their new focus on the games division, we'll see how many dollars they put behind it.

That's seems to be the real battle, how they handle dlc, reviews, marketing and the community (just straight up awareness).

Marvel will outsell injustice 2 easily.
WB is skipping PC (at least at launch) for this one, so there's one less platform to sell on.

On top of that, the complete version of injustice is one hundred fucking dollars.

I'll wait for injustice 2XL for under $20...

Marvel vs. Capcom, no contest. Injustice looks way (way) better. But Marvel is more popular at the moment. Marvel has also a PC release, while Injustice has not ... so the userbase is also bigger.

marvel easily and triple the sales! that's justice.

If Capcom adds more characters to the roster of MVCI and the story it's good enough, probably it will sell more than I2, plus MVCI will be released on PS4, Xbox One and PC and I2 only on PS4 and Xbox One but who knows, what they've shown of I2 so far it's good enough to outsell MVCI...

Marvel name gives MvC:I a great chance to outsell injustice but Capcom is the problem here, they are the best when it comes to gameplay, but it seems like they forgot how to deliver the complete package in their games, their games are like a gold bar that's wrapped in tin foil.

I don't think Injustice 2 will sell MKX numbers, it has competition breathing down it's throat, T7 is 17 days later, MVCi has no other fighter coming to challenge it, the buzz of T7/IJ2 will long be gone...

MvCi has a chance to beat Injustice 2 thanks to T7 heat..

MvC should sell more and if doesn't sell more than Capcom need to take a long look at their product and question why.

Outside of maybe Batman the Marvel characters are now way more popular than DC heroes. There is no reason why a Marvel fighting game shouldn't sell more copies than a DC one.

If Injustice 2 sells more (and it probably will) then I hope Capcom make the necessary changes:

- Introduce a proper single player storyline and significant single player content since that clearly sells games.
- Introduce significant and detailed tutorials that make learning the game fun and intuitive for new players.
- Simplify specific move inputs so that there isn't a huge barrier for new players trying to learn the game (luckily it looks like they are doing this at least already).
- Get rid of obscure Capcom characters from the base roster and focus on characters that are popular (more Marvel basically). Add the other characters that are popular with the geeks (like us) as separate DLC. I actually think they should make Marvel only fighting game with maybe a small selection of guest Capcom characters as DLC.

I think MVCI will sell more for the following factors:

-MCU overall superiority over DCCU means a bigger brand awareness for all things marvel.
-MVCI is the newest game in a series of well loved fighting games that are widely recognized in the gaming sphere
-Based in the precedent of the past iterations of each game, The Fighting game Community will embrace MVCI much better than Injustice 2, which can give it a little push in sales.

And injustice 2 hasn't gotten criticism over the supremely ugly models and the fact that it has a shit ton more day one DLC than MVCI??

Injustice 2 wont get my purchase. Hated the first game and this one seems no different. MvC on the other hand was probably the most anticipated game of my life so I want to believe it will sell more.

Synth

Man, if Marvel has some miraculous US sales, or some sort of sales resurgence, we are gonna look duuuumb for bumping this early, lol.

Man, if Marvel has some miraculous US sales, or some sort of sales resurgence, we are gonna look duuuumb for bumping this early, lol.

It won't. Marvel sales are so ridiculously low and Injustice sales so high that even a sales resurgence by Marvel would require months of sales to get to Injustices launch numbers.

DR2K

Banned
When I made my post it was under the assumption Marvel wasn’t derailing MVCi and a Capcom was finally getting their shit together. There’s no reason Injustice 2 should be selling so well and MVCi so poorly, but here we are. Injustice 2 is what happens when you give the developer total freedom to use the IP as you see fit vs the catastrophic loss of major characters and bad PR around that.

andymcc

Banned
someone should start collecting a wall of posts for the same posters claiming MVCI would trounce DBFighterZ for when the (inevitable) time comes.

How are movies and video games related again? Seeing Gamora and Rocket in this will make my mom buy this since she loves Guardians of the Galaxy?

I would buy Injustice 2 but BvS was terrible so I'm not a Batman fan anymore?

Injustice 2 will sell more. MvC:I will have the more active community by far, though.

Maybe the more active hardcore tournament fighting community type.

Marvel numbers are so low even if Injustice has a massive drop off (it's not, its showing great legs in the charts) it will still likely have more people playing it daily

JusDoIt

Marvel numbers are so low even if Injustice has a massive drop off (it's not, its showing great legs in the charts) it will still likely have more people playing it daily

Injustice has already had its massive drop off, if Twitch numbers are any indication.

N21

I'm not even sure if Marvel games will be popular like DC games are. Spiderman games will do well, but I'm not sure if the others will. I wonder if Avengers will be a hit?

Injustice has already had its massive drop off, if Twitch numbers are any indication.

Eh Twitch doesn't mean a ton in regards to certain games. Injustice doesn't have a big multiplayer presence. Many of the people who play NR games do so for the single player. The games that are big on Twitch are big multiplayer games.

Injustice 2 may be selling more copies at a weekly rate than Marvel in literally less than a month

JusDoIt

that don't mean shit

Injustice was 11 on NPD for August. It's still selling decently.

I wasn't talking about a sales drop off.

Eh Twitch doesn't mean a ton in regards to certain games. Injustice doesn't have a big multiplayer presence. Many of the people who play NR games do so for the single player. The games that ate big on Twitch are big multiplayer games.

Injustice 2 may be selling more copies at a weekly rate than Marvel in literally less than a month

You're basically saying the same thing I am. Marvel will sell less, but will be actively played longer.

I'm not even sure if Marvel games will be popular like DC games are. Spiderman games will do well, but I'm not sure if the others will. I wonder if Avengers will be a hit?

What was the last Avengers game that wasn't F2P garbage or a Lego game that sells independent of license?

patchday

rmcvi has a lots of fans that actually want to play online & local pvp

injustice has a huge army of loot hungry fans that loves to grind pve (and some pvpers). Both gaf guilds I was in took heavy losses. very few stuck around for the long haul. and hardly any hopped online I know this for sho'

mattmanp

Injustice 2. For me the underwhelming demo they shadow dropped killed my hype for it. The Injustice 2 story mode getting rave reviews will draw in borderline players.

Chavelo

Pffft, the FGC doesn't mean shit when it comes to sales. Capcom bet on the wrong horse (the competitive crowd) and it is biting them on the ass. Just hold this L, please.

Close to your chest. Embrace that L. Even better, stop posting on GAF and play your game. I bet it's fun, but you're gonna have to put some elbow grease to get people to play with you a few months from now and pray that Capcom will continue support past early 2018.

JusDoIt

Pffft, the FGC doesn't mean shit when it comes to sales. Capcom bet on the wrong horse (the competitive crowd) and it is biting them on the ass. Just hold this L, please.

Even better, stop posting on GAF and play your game. I bet it's fun, but you're gonna have to put some elbow grease to get people to play with you a few months from now.

Capcom Fighters have been betting on the DLC whale...horse. Whale horses are a thing. I'm guessing it's been lucrative for them, if SFV costume and stage production is any indictation.

patchday

This is not true at all there are folks that purchased MvCI due to the twitch presence. We know this because they also posted in the MvCI they bought the game after seeing the pros play

I know before I buy a fighting game I like to see it getting played at CEO / EVO, etc as well.

I wasn't talking about a sales drop off.

You're basically saying the same thing I am. Marvel will sell less, but will be actively played longer.

my bad

but even still, most fighting games don't have a strong twich presence outside of tournaments. on the average day, none of them are getting significant numbers regardless.

As far as which will get played more overall mutliplayer-wise, then yeah, Marvel might have longer legs. Though I'm not so sure about that if Marvel ends up selling terribly. If Injustice has a massive sales edge over Marvel--which it probably will--then it will probably have more people actively playing it based on sheer numbers alone.

Synth

It won't. Marvel sales are so ridiculously low and Injustice sales so high that even a sales resurgence by Marvel would require months of sales to get to Injustices launch numbers.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't see it being a realistic possibility at all (and it never was, lol).

I just think it's generally best to wait to serve crow, until its fully cooked.

No I'm not. I even said Marvel may have a larger hardcore tournament style player base than Injustice.

But if the question is which will have a higher DAU? Injustice 2 I feel pretty sure of that

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't see it being a realistic possibility at all (and it never was, lol).

I just think it's generally best to wait to serve crow, until its fully cooked.

Injustice 2 would have to literally stop selling units and Marvel would have to match its launch week numbers for months consecutively to match Injustice 2's launch numbers.

Yes the gap is that large

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
This is not true at all there are folks that purchased MvCI due to the twitch presence. We know this because they also posted in the MvCI they bought the game after seeing the pros play

I know before I buy a fighting game I like to see it getting played at CEO / EVO, etc as well.

oh come on...

patchday

my bad

but even still, most fighting games don't have a strong twich presence outside of tournaments. on the average day, none of them are getting significant numbers regardless.

As far as which will get played more overall mutliplayer-wise, then yeah, Marvel might have longer legs. Though I'm not so sure about that if Marvel ends up selling terribly. If Injustice has a massive sales edge over Marvel--which it probably will--then it will probably have more people actively playing it based on sheer numbers alone.

The tournaments are what it's all about is why. I enjoy playing online but playing them locally is even better and brings me back to the good ole days where I played them in Arcades. * Many others feel the same way and go out of our way to attend events

JusDoIt

No I'm not. I even said Marvel may have a larger hardcore tournament style player base than Injustice.

But if the question is which will have a higher DAU? Injustice 2 I feel pretty sure of that

DAU's doing what? Replaying storymode? haha

If the community ain't online anymore it's gone.

I always knew Injustice would sale more. Just didn't expect a poor start from Marvel, granted I didn't keep up with the game since I only own a switch.

The only fighting game that can potentially beat MK and injustice is Smash.

Really curious how DBZ fighters will do. That one look amazing.

Revisiting this article particularly highlights how utterly out of touch Capcom are:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017...s-they-have-learned-street-fighter-5s-launch/
"we learned our lesson" = "let's include a story mode and everything else will solve itself".
Capcom, you can't make a game consisting of 80% recycled assets and expect it to sell well. This is not the late 90's anymore.

I can't be assed with compiling an entire wall... but there's one that I never forgot about on our way to today. Mr "Capcom saved the genre" himself. :)

Hilarious crow indeed.

Man, that's great. Tag-worthy if he didn't already have a tag.

At this rate, Dragon Ball FighterZ is gonna decimate MVCI

If anything, the unknown quantity in that equation was how much MVCI would sell; now that it's predictably flopped, DBFZ is pretty much a given. The hype for it is absolutely crazy.

Also gotta love this one, especially the bolded:

Marvel will outsell injustice 2 easily.
WB is skipping PC (at least at launch) for this one, so there's one less platform to sell on.

On top of that, the complete version of injustice is one hundred fucking dollars.

I'll wait for injustice 2XL for under $20...

Fast forward to MVCI release, the deluxe version is 90 bucks. :D

Asbel

Revisiting this article particularly highlights how utterly out of touch Capcom are:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017...s-they-have-learned-street-fighter-5s-launch/
"we learned our lesson" = "let's include a story mode and everything else will solve itself".
Capcom, you can't make a game consisting of 80% recycled assets and expect it to sell well. This is not the late 90's anymore.

Man, that's great. Tag-worthy if he didn't already have a tag.

If anything, the unknown quantity in that equation was how much MVCI would sell; now that it's predictably flopped, DBFZ is pretty much a given. The hype for it is absolutely crazy.

Also gotta love this one, especially the bolded:

Fast forward to MVCI release, the deluxe version is 90 bucks. :D

They got lucky on the switch so don't think they learned that lesson.

Top Bottom