• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch streamer gets Swatted on an Airplane

Akai__

Swatting has reached new levels of insanity...

Videos:

Streamers perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZHQoRfFTmM
Summary in video form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNpxQ6ksYy8

In short: Somebody called American Airlines and told them that they will blow up the airplane, while pretending to be the streamer (Ice Poseidon). The airplane was then raided by police forces and the streamer and his girlfriend were taken into custody. They were then interrogated for several hours by the police/FBI until they could confirm that it was indeed a hoax call. It seems like the streamer in question is also permanently banned from Twitch now.

What in the actual fuck is wrong with people, so that they are not even afraid of Swatting an airplane? I really really hope that the person gets caught ASAP.

Sorry if this is old by the way. I searched several keywords, but didn't find anything.

Why did the streamer get banned?

That's what I'm wondering.

And can someone explain to me how swatting is even possible? Can they locate people by their IP? And if so, how is the IP obtained? Curious if there's an argument that the streaming platform is at fault.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Before clicking the thread, I was like "Ice Poseidon".

Lo and behold.

HMD

Ice Poseidon enables this type of behavior in his extremely toxic community. It was only a matter of time before this happened. He was banned because he purposely leaked his location and basically challenged his toxic viewers to do something about it.

Akai__

Guess Twitch and/or Amazon wanted to be safe. They are probably getting shit for this, too.

And can someone explain to me how swatting is even possible? Can they locate people by their IP? And if so, how is the IP obtained? Curious if there's an argument that the streaming platform is at fault.

In this case, the SWAT'er obviously knew which flight he took, since the streamer actually streamed from the airport. Something that really should not be allowed by Twitch, if you ask me.

Tagyhag

Ice Poseidon enables this type of behavior in his extremely toxic community. It was only a matter of time before this happened. He was banned because he purposely leaked his location and basically challenged his toxic viewers to do something about it.

What the shit, no sympathy then.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

He told people where he was and streams on the twitch 'irl' section.

TirMcGrey

Ice constantly encourages this kind of toxic shit behavior from his viewers though so... the only sympathy I have are for people who were on that flight on top of the wasted manpower of the police having to deal with a BS call.

EDIT: It's still crazy someone decided to swat an airplane.

Jinjo

Cause Twitch as a company clearly doesn't want to be linked to this type of news/be held responsible for facilitating these scenarios.

Also - not sure if true - but apparently the streamer in question was 'daring' his chat to do 'their worst'.

Still pretty fucked up someone went this far and they should be penalised if they ever find out who it was.

WaterAstro

Wait, this is old news. Wasn't already posted?

He has some blame for it, especially if he revealed his flight information.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Swatting is terrible but Ice Poseidon made it very obvious where he was and due to the community he fosters knew this shit would happen, he even said his gate on stream. Dude is beyond stupid, twitch needs to keep him banned and keep that awful shit off the site.

Basketball

Because ice is an idiot he totally egged on some of his crazy fans. He mentioned his location, the flight and the gate number. This guy has been swatted multiple times. When in restaurants viewers would call the restaurant nonstop. He enables his insane viewers. "I'm going on this flight guises what's the worst thing that can happen". ..causes news story and puts twitch in a bad light.

Madao

what sticks out for me is how easily the authorithies act without any kind of proof.

they basically shoot first and ask later.

the trolls exploit this to do their shitty jokes. these pranks wouldn't fly in most countries.

atr0cious

Cause Twitch as a company clearly doesn't want to be linked to this type of news/be held responsible for facilitating these scenarios.

Also - not sure if true - but apparently the streamer in question was 'daring' his chat to do 'their worst'.

Still pretty fucked up someone went this far and they should be penalised if they ever find out who it was.
It's true. He gives his flight number and airline from what city he's in, and then he says something like, "you guys wouldn't do anything right?"

entremet

Ice constantly encourages this kind of toxic shit behavior from his viewers though so... the only sympathy I have are for people who were on that flight on top of the wasted manpower of the police having to deal with a BS call.

EDIT: It's still crazy someone decided to swat an airplane.
Doesn't matter. What happened is extremely dangerous. I hope the swatters are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

M.W.

Why do people watch this guy? He always seemed rather idiotic.

Him asking for someone to do something is pretty idiotic.

Ice Poseidon has by far the most toxic community I've ever seen, it is a cesspit of "alt-right"/gamer gaters.

He encouraged and created the community he has, he wants this to happen and endangers the public around him, he explicitly posted all his flight information for this because he likes to bait it, he does this all the time with his IRL streams "exposing" where he is and causing trouble in public and for business owners. His channel was explicitly about baiting his toxic community.

joe2187

Banned
what sticks out for me is how easily the authorithies act without any kind of proof.

they basically shoot first and ask later.

the trolls exploit this to do their shitty jokes. these pranks wouldn't fly in most countries.

Police are required to appear even if it is a prank call.

Even if you accidentally dial 911. If they got your address they will drive by.

GavinUK86

Sure, IcePoseidon is a fucking idiot but you cannot blame him for this.

It's the fucking immature troll that needs to be thrown in a hole.

Anyone who even contemplates doing this needs to be locked up for good.

They're a danger to society.

Compsiox

Banned
I really really find it challenging to lose more faith in humanity than I already have but here we are.

First of all, he was swatted. Second, while he was explaining the situation on Twitch everyone was spamming "2 beds 2 beds 2 beds". Third, a lot of people are commenting on his nose on youtube.

What is humanity.

Sure IcePoseidon is an idiot but you cannot blame him for this.

It's the fucking immature idiot troll that needs to be thrown in a hole.

You can blame both sides.
Ice for being an absolute moron (egging this behavior on by giving out his exact location and saying stuff like "What's the worst you guys can do?") and for people doing awful stuff like calling in fake bomb threats.

Also, this isn't the first time Ice's viewers have done awful shit because Ice knowingly gave away his location.

Zasa

Yup, & not to mention this isn't the first time he's enabled stupid shit like this. He's already been temp banned before, thankfully now it's permanent. Get his /pol community & all the casual racist kids who spam trihard all day in his chat the hell out of here.

For those who want to see how racist, homophobic, & idiotic his community can get, just go to his subreddit & scroll down.

Anyway, shame about the situation as a whole & I feel bad for those who had to go through that on the plane. Swatting is just getting out of hand at this point.

ChrisD

The comments on every video in this thread is full of idiots.

Someone even compared the banning to rape.

Ice Poseidon has by far the most toxic community I've ever seen, it is a cesspit of "alt-right"/gamer gaters.

He encouraged and created the community he has, he wants this to happen and endangers the public around him, he explicitly posted all his flight information for this because he likes to bait it, he does this all the time with his IRL streams "exposing" where he is and causing trouble in public and for business owners. His channel was explicitly about baiting his toxic community.

Twitch usually seems really strict with this kind of stuff. How was he not shut down sooner?

Bsigg12

So....how long until they find the person who did this and convict them like they have done with other swatters. What a fucking idiot.

Jinjo

Youtube is where all banned twitch streamers end up lol. It never lasts long/they never have the same amount of succes. Also there is a reason people livestream on twitch mostly as I'm pretty sure Twitch has always been the better and more sustainable (income-wise) platform for those content creators. Especially after the whole ad-drama on youtube.

ViolentP

This guy seems like a jackass based on the 45 seconds it took for him to justify giving away his location.

Akai__

It's true. He gives his flight number and airline from what city he's in, and then he says something like, "you guys wouldn't do anything right?"

Does anyone have a link to the VOD where he said and did this? I actually believe you, but I just want to be absolutely sure.

Twitch usually seems really strict with this kind of stuff. How was he not shut down sooner?

Money.

Euphor!a

Banned
Sure, IcePoseidon is a fucking idiot but you cannot blame him for this.

It's the fucking immature troll that needs to be thrown in a hole.

Really? You cannot blame him? Not even a little? You dare people to do something and then they do it, you have zero responsibility?

Top Bottom