• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the worst year for gaming?

daTRUballin

Everybody always talks about the best years of gaming and a lot of debating goes on and on about which year in particular had the best games. Whether it's 2007 or 1998 or 2004, etc.

But what about the worst? Is there even a way to determine that? What year would you say was the most disappointing or underwhelming in terms of games or just the worst year for the industry in general?

Discuss.

Lackluster start for the new generation with hardly any truly great games. On top of that you had Gamergate and countless other controversies that made it feel like the medium regressed.

2008 seemed to be the "year of overhyped disappointments".

SSB Brawl
Grand Theft Auto 4
Metal Gear Solid 4
Spore
LittleBigPlanet

A lot of games that were hyped up but then received the backlash of the century upon release.

2012 was pretty bland, although I loved Kid Icarus Uprising.

23qwerty

SSB Brawl
Grand Theft Auto 4
Metal Gear Solid 4
Spore
LittleBigPlanet

A lot of games that were hyped up but then received the backlash of the century upon release.

LBP a disappointment? Where? Who?

hatchx

Banned
I assume the OP is talking about like, the last 2ish decades?

I don't remember 2008 or 2011 being anything special.

theecakee

Lackluster start for the new generation with hardly any truly great games. On top of that you had Gamergate and countless other controversies that made it feel like the medium regressed.

I agree with this personally from my experience. If I had to say based on just what I've heard, 1983 looks bad too. Though I wasn't alive then so can't personally attest to it of course.

I googled the last decade or so and I'd personally say 2006. Outside of Oblivion(which I don't care about) and FF12(I thought it was dissapointing) nothing else sticks out.

daTRUballin

SSB Brawl
Grand Theft Auto 4
Metal Gear Solid 4
Spore
LittleBigPlanet

Don't forget Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts!

2014 was great if you didn't just look at the AAA scene. Lots of smaller games that were so fun came out that year.

I assume the OP is talking about like, the last 2ish decades?

I don't remember 2008 or 2011 being anything special.
2011 is one of the best years of all time.

The year where you have Journey and The Walking Dead winning GOTY awards.

While I think they were both deserving of winning awards, it was a bit of a flatline overall. Dragon's Dogma was amazeballs, but other than that I can't think of any notable games that year.

Don't forget Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts!

That was my most disappointing game of 2008 right there, but, to be fair, it received its backlash way before its launch when it was truly revealed back in May, so expectations were a bit lowered there, lol.

It's not like, say, Spore, which saw tons of enthusiasm and hype before everything turned blood curdling negative upon its release.

I googled the last decade or so and I'd personally say 2006. Outside of Oblivion(which I don't care about) and FF12(I thought it was dissapointing) nothing else sticks out.

If anything this is my answer. I haven't played enough games from 2006, but the best that year is probably Gears of War for me. Good game, but not nearly as great today as the best of other years.

I won't jump into the 90s, not too sure of those years (other than 1998 getting by on influence rather than having many games that are still great to play).

2014 I can get behind. Some good titles but just looking at GOTYs can sometimes paint the picture. Mordor in 2014 in a lot of places. A fine game but wouldn't hang in most years.

That was a great year for the Wii U however.

Edit: oh dear lord I just looked at 2012 nevermind. Makes 2014 look like a banner year.

Kart94

Banned

I have two good reasons why

pacMan2600Screen.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned

2014 was very solid IMO. Sunset Overdrive, Wolfenstein, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Forza Horizon 2, Titanfall, Captain Toad, Smash Bros., etc.

I think 2012 was the dullest year for gaming that I've been alive for. 2012 really showed how old the PS3 and 360 was and that it was time to move on.

A.J.

Banned
2014 was very solid IMO. Sunset Overdrive, Wolfenstein, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Smash Bros., etc.

I think 2012 was the dullest year for gaming that I've been alive for. 2012 really showed how old the PS3 and 360 was and that it was time to move on.

It's important to note that not many people owned a Wii U

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
2012 was worse than 2014

2014 was actually good for Wii U. 2012 was not good for any platform. The best games of 2012 were indies like Hotline Miami and FTL. I mean wtf happened.

MrT-Tar

Are we just forgetting the fact that 2014 saw Bayonetta 2, DKC: Tropical Freeze, and Super Smash Bros for WiiU/3DS? I would say that those games alone put the year above 2012 and not far off 2009.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's important to note that not many people owned a Wii U

Yeah very good point. I would agree that 2014 was pretty bad if you were a PS4 only owner. I had Wii U and Xbox One. It was the best year for the Xbox One and Wii U in terms of exclusives in my opinion.

Toparaman

Banned
In recent memory, 2012. Lost interest in the game industry that entire year. I know a lot of people love Journey and the X-COM reboot but they weren't particularly interesting to me.

2014 probably comes in second place. Lots of solid high-quality sequels (Smash, Bayo, Mario Kart), but they were all very similar to their predecessors and kind of unexciting as a result. MK8 is a damn nice looking and sounding game though, I'll give it that.

This is completely personal, but I also found last year to be of little interest. This year has been overwhelmingly awesome though. Japan making a comeback this year has been a big part of that.

brinstar

Which year was it when E3 was like all kinect and motion control stuff and GAF as a whole was letdown. I still have a ton of gifs saved from that year

Outside Prime 3, Galaxy and GoW2 it was all FPS.

It was also around that time where everything had to be "edgy" running on UE3. I really hated that trend.

2012 was solid. Max Payne 3, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, The Walking Dead, Journey, XCOM, Persona 4 Arena and Golden, Mark of the Ninja, Virtue's Last Reward, Sleeping Dogs. Lots of games I really liked came out that year. I guess it was lacking a big AAA showcase moment since Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 didn't really make the splash they were supposed to but past that it was fine.

SgtCobra

SSB Brawl
Grand Theft Auto 4
Metal Gear Solid 4
Spore
LittleBigPlanet

One of the best years in my opinion but hey that's what opinions are for!

Top Bottom