• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is Wrong With Me? A Zelda BotW Thread

I am having so much trouble getting into Zelda: BotW. From getting used to the controls again to trying to wrap my head around how I should be looking at the game. I know what the tone of the Zelda series is but I'm having such a hard time reconciling with it. I want to take it seriously but so many of the characters and so much of the dialogue is so goofy. Should I take a lot of it as just tongue in cheek? I'm not new to Zelda but I admit it's been a while since I played one. I have been playing the series since the NES and never skipped a major release in other than Skyward Sword. I still get chills and feelings of nostalgia when I here the Zelda music. ALttP was my favorite and I loved Ocarina of Time. I also really enjoyed Twilight Princess.

So I ask, what is wrong with me? Am I spoiled from The Witcher 3 and Horizon? Have I out grown Zelda? Am I just now so used to playing games on the PS4 and lost the touch of playing with Nintendo controller scheme?

Help me GAF cause I want to enjoy this game!

Try playing in handheld mode.

EDIT: Not a joke response, by the way. If you're too used to PS4 as your console, playing in handheld mode might make you associate Switch with handhelds, where it's far and away better than other options.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
You've been away from Zelda too long. The characters have always been goody and silly. Just kick back and enjoy the ride.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Why do so many people on neogaf want to be convinced to like games they can't like on their own?

It's just a video game. If you play it and aren't enjoying it, not sure what revelation someone can give to you that would make you realize you like it. At most "stick with it and see if you end up liking it" but there's nothing wrong with not liking a game that most others like.

Amory

How far into it are you?

You have to break through the initial awkwardness that any game presents and get into a flow where you know how to control it, use the systems, where to go, what to do, etc

Aldric

l will never understand people who try to force themselves to enjoy a game.

lf you don't like it you don't like it.

orochi91

I want to take it seriously but so many characters and dialogue are so goofy.

Is there some dialogue/character in particular that's bothering you?

From what little I've played of the game, it seems like standard RPG/Adventure stuff, with respect to script.

The BOTW control scheme is kind of a mess, yeah. You'll get better at it over time but even at endgame I was still messing up stuff like switching weapons / arrows.

The plot and dialogue is pretty punchy but that's just Treehouse these days

I am having so much trouble getting into Zelda: BotW. From getting used to the controls again to trying to wrap my head around how I should be looking at the game. I know what the tone of the Zelda series is but I'm having such a hard time reconciling with it. I want to take it seriously but so many characters and dialogue are so goofy. Should I take a lot of it as just tongue in cheek? I'm not new to Zelda but I admit it's been a while since I played one. I have been playing the series since the NES and never skipped a major release in other than Skyward Sword. I still get chills and feelings of nostalgia when I here the Zelda music. ALttP was my favorite and I loved Ocarina of Time. I also really enjoyed Twilight Princess.

So I ask, what is wrong with me? Am I spoiled from The Witcher 3 and Horizon? Have I out grown Zelda? Am I just now so used to playing games on the PS4 and lost the touch of playing with Nintendo controller scheme?

Seems like you aren't in the mood for Zelda. Play something else and go back later whenever you feel like it.

CeePhour

Banned
Nothing is wrong with you, it's just not some magical 10/10 for everyone. I couldn't get into it, but I kept hammering away at it. 75 hours later I'm not playing because I'm having fun, I'm playing because mentally I paid $400 to play it.

It seems to me it's also getting praised for playing catch up to things we've seen for the last 10 years in other games, yet doesn't excel at any of them, it merely has them.

ASaiyan

Banned
It's possible that you just don't like it, which is not incompatible with it still being an objectively "good" game that others do.

I'm the opposite, actually. I can't stand Witcher or other Western RPGs. I don't like the setting or the gameplay and just get bored immediately. But these games clearly have a lot of work put into them and are highly well-received; just a case of different strokes for different folks.

Why do so many people on neogaf want to be convinced to like games they can't like on their own?

It's just a video game. If you play it and aren't enjoying it, not sure what revelation someone can give to you that would make you realize you like it. At most "stick with it and see if you end up liking it" but there's nothing wrong with not liking a game that most others like.

I wonder about this myself. Especially the threads that are almost begging other people to make them like a game.

EhoaVash

its okay. I felt the same with the witcher 3, the controls, the movement, the combat in that game were not for me, returned it after couple of hours. also fell asleep listening to some npc who wouldn't shut up =/

Because they feel like they're missing something.

Nothing is wrong with you, it's just not some magical 10/10 for everyone. I couldn't get into it, but I kept hammering away at it. 75 hours later I'm not playing because I'm having fun, I'm playing because mentally I paid $400 to play it.

It seems to me it's also getting praised for playing catch up to things we've seen for the last 10 years in other games, yet doesn't excel at any of them, it merely has them.
Really don't agree with this assesment, the game does plenty of unique things, and the world is ripe for exploration in a way that few open world games are, the only open world I've played that has the same sense of exploration is Xenoblade Chronicles X.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I wonder about this myself. Especially the threads that are almost begging other people to make them like a game.

I guess if you see a lot of people enjoying a game that you hate, you can feel like your taste is "wrong"?

I just do the opposite and pretend my taste is better than everyone elses. Stay inferior, Witcher fans.

mike6467

How many open world games have you played recently? I was burnt out after the recent Witcher DLC, Horizon, Watch Dogs 2 and Nier. So many games where you're running to waypoints and collecting shit and crafting and.....

After that run I had Zelda in front of me and realized that I wanted something more linear. I broke it up with P5 and after 150 hours of that I'm absolutely in love with BoTW.

Open world fatigue is a real thing, and considering all the great open world games that have come out recently it's worth looking at. Maybe take a break from these types of games and come back in 6 months. It's blowing me away at the moment and I'm really glad I didn't force it.

jdstorm

Banned
Take advantage of Dual languages (Latin Spanish seems to be the consensus best audio option) and then start over

phanphare

Banned
question number 1:

have you made some progress since leaving the great plateau?

if you answered yes maybe the game isn't for you

if you answered no you should probably keep playing and then decide

Blarg

Neo Member
I am having so much trouble getting into Zelda: BotW. From getting used to the controls again to trying to wrap my head around how I should be looking at the game. I know what the tone of the Zelda series is but I'm having such a hard time reconciling with it. I want to take it seriously but so many characters and dialogue are so goofy. Should I take a lot of it as just tongue in cheek? I'm not new to Zelda but I admit it's been a while since I played one. I have been playing the series since the NES and never skipped a major release in other than Skyward Sword. I still get chills and feelings of nostalgia when I here the Zelda music. ALttP was my favorite and I loved Ocarina of Time. I also really enjoyed Twilight Princess.

The overall tone of the game is serious in my opinion but the goofy NPCs are there for comic relief. It seems strange that NPC interaction is what is driving your experience. What do you think of the exploration, and how much time are spending in the wild as opposed to talking to townsfolk?

Personally, I thought BOTW was amazing, yet I couldn't make it through 20 hours of Witcher 3. Maybe our tastes are different.

I know what you are saying. I consider myself to be a avid video game player. Its my main hobby. So I feel like with a game that is this coveted and praised, I must be missing something.

How far into it are you?

You have to break through the initial awkwardness that any game presents and get into a flow where you know how to control it, use the systems, where to go, what to do, etc

I just got the
basic ruins added to my shieka tablet at the laboratory.

CEJames

It's not what's wrong with you OP. It's what is wrong with the world. They shouldn't have pressed you to try and force you to love what they love.

Hype gets to most of everyone but it won't make you fall in love with a game.

If you're looking to get whatever you got out of Witcher 3 and Horizon from Breath of the Wild, you're going to have a bad time. I'm guessing those things are a structured narrative and cutting edge presentation. I say this as someone who considers BotW a candidate for best game evar.

Edit: Sounds like you're really early on. It's not too late. Here's my suggestion: put the baggage aside. Forget what you know about Zelda or expect out of an open world game, and just approach this game on its own terms. If you do that and still can't get into it then it's not for you. And there's no shame in that.

Nah lol you wasted your game bucks. Maybe watch a gameplay walkthrough next time ffs
Wow what a response.

Don't feel bad. I got my Switch day 1 and still haven't finished the game. I'm not looking to do everything either. Things get in the way. There's days where I just play it most of the day, then have days without playing it at all. Go with the flow and try not to think of it as living up to any expectation.

I do think having played those other games means you have certain expectations. Having not played Zelda in a few years means you might just need the give it time before you dive into BotW.

I'm in a similar boat as you, but luckily I switched over to Persona 5 for now and that gives the CEMU team even more time to smooth out the Wii U emulation.

It's OK to not like the game as much as other people do.

Game is not for you. It's simple.

l will never understand people who try to force themselves to enjoy a game.

lf you don't like it you don't like it.

you want to fit in, that's your problem.

It's possible that you just don't like it, which is not incompatible with it still being an objectively "good" game that others do.

All of these responses assume they just want to play it to fit in. How about actually paying attention to the OP wherein he is a longtime Zelda fan and has played nearly every entry? That might help you form an actual response.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I know what you are saying. I consider myself to be a avid video game player. Its my main hobby. So I feel like with a game that is this coveted and praised, I must be missing something.

Well aside from goofy dialogue, can you pinpoint exactly what you don't like about it? If dialogue is important to you and you don't like the dialogue, then BotW isn't for you because of that I guess. Coveted game or not, if something that you dislike is central to the game, nothing wrong with not liking it.

I basically skip every story sequence / dialogue option in games now, so despite how praised Witcher 3 is, I have no desire to play it.

All of these responses assume they just want to play it to fit in. How about actually paying attention to the OP wherein he is a longtime Zelda fan and has played nearly every entry? That might help you form an actual response.

I'm not assuming they want to 'fit in', they played a game and apparently disliked it. Normally that would be the end of it, so "others like this game" clearly has something to do with it.

Kuro

Play the game as if you were an explorer or going on a long hike and completely ignore the story. Only pay attention when you meet the Gerudo because they're actually interesting.

TZchassis

If you played less than 5 hours you might need more time to know what you enjoy to do and what you don't (shrines or beasts or fighting guardians or exploring new areas or side quests or collecting memories) as well as get used to the controls and get used to some aspects of the game that you find disappointing (there's many things that I didn't like about BOTW at first).

kubev

I played 70+ hours of BotW, and I daresay that I hated more about the game than I loved (or even liked) about the game. That said, no one game will appeal to everyone, nor is every game intended to appeal to everyone (and that's a good thing, because I don't want the charm focus-tested out of something original).

_Clash_

Just go hunt shrines and towers, face combat on your own terms and try things, after 20 hours controls will stick

And the game will keep getting better and better after that

Top Bottom