• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is Wrong With Me? A Zelda BotW Thread

13ruce

Banned
I just got the
basic ruins added to my shieka tablet at the laboratory.

I suggest you to try heading to Vah Ruta or Vah Naboris if you don't like that then sell the game. The game is hugely about exploring and fking arpund sort of too so keep that in mind. But those 2 events are pretty cool.

Maybe even try and go to hyrule castle that was my favorte experience outside those 2 other events.

Try one of these things i mentioned if you also don't like that then just move on. It's not a shame to dislike a game that changed alot of it's standard conventions and formula.

It could also be open world fatique.

All of these responses assume they just want to play it to fit in. How about actually paying attention to the OP wherein he is a longtime Zelda fan and has played nearly every entry? That might help you form an actual response.

if the op is asking what is wrong with themselves on a video game forum for not liking a game and they don't know why but they really want to like it

that's wanting to fit in

kunonabi

I loved the game for the first 100 hundreds before eventually not liking it all. Id try giving it some time before you write it off.

All of these responses assume they just want to play it to fit in. How about actually paying attention to the OP wherein he is a longtime Zelda fan and has played nearly every entry? That might help you form an actual response.

I think part of the problem is that it's not really a "Zelda" game as people understand it. I never really liked 3D Zeldas, though I respected them enough to keep trying. They're highly directed action adventures with focus on puzzle solving. Breath of the Wild is an emergent fucking-around game. They're really totally different genres, to the point where the difference here is arguably greater than the jump between 2D and 3D Zeldas.

I enjoyed this game when I was expressly exploring and learning the finer points of how the world worked. This was much more fun than the parts where I tried to win the story that the game presented, which is the direct focus of all the prior games in the franchise.

Except Tarry Town. Deep in my mind, the object of this Zelda game is to buy a house then help a construction company build a town out of freshly-chopped trees with a curiously-named band of multi-species coworkers and finally get the boss hooked up with a desert lady. Mission accomplished, now I just need to get around to feeding meat to those two dogs behind the building to see if they know where the best treasure is....

jmizzal

Its a fantasy video game with fairys and talking animals and rock people, why are you trying to take it so seriously? Just enjoy the game play

True Fire

I'm about 50 hours in, and I'm getting so bored of it. Yoko Taro really hit the nail on the head when he said that he hated games that never change. BotW is the antithesis of NieR Automata. It's the same thing for 100 hours and probably 1000 hours. At this point I'm just playing it for the mini puzzles.

Kill3r7

Why do so many people on neogaf want to be convinced to like games they can't like on their own?

It's just a video game. If you play it and aren't enjoying it, not sure what revelation someone can give to you that would make you realize you like it. At most "stick with it and see if you end up liking it" but there's nothing wrong with not liking a game that most others like.

I wonder about this myself. Especially the threads that are almost begging other people to make them like a game.

Because people subconsciously are worried that they are missing out on something great. Also self doubt creeps in.

I'm about 50 hours in, and I'm getting so bored of it. Yoko Taro really hit the nail on the head when he said that he hated games that never change. BotW is the antithesis of NieR Automata. It's the same thing for 100 hours and probably 1000 hours. At this point I'm just playing it for the mini puzzles.

Then go to Hyrule Castle and finish it. You could have the game knocked out in an hour.

Thanks to those who posted constructive replies. I'm just trying to figure out if I have grown out of the series or if I just need to remember to take it for what it is and remember that the villages and towns are not supposed to have the same type of effect as the crowded streets of Novagrad.

I also may be burned out. I plat'd FFXV prior to plat in Horizon. Maybe I should put it down for now and play P5 (and I have Nier waiting) though Im still compelled to keep playing it. I'm going to give it more time.

Velikost

I've only put maybe 15-20 hours into it, and have taken week+ breaks in between play sessions (prolly like a month for my current one), but with that said, I think the controls are butt. Honestly I have NO idea why they wouldn't include customizable button mappings in the game.

That said, I like the game, so I put up with their dumbass button layout.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I just got the
basic ruins added to my shieka tablet at the laboratory.

Much of the appeal of the game for me was exploration, and my mastery of it and how to approach the game came from that exploration as well. For me, it was hard to measure how far into the game I was based on game events, so your response makes me wonder if you're taking a more linear path.

Speaking as someone who loved just exploring the world (some of the things I discovered and how I did will probably always be in my brain as some of my best gaming memories), an enjoyment of that exploration was necessary for me to love the game. If you like more guidance and don't have the wanderlust that constantly pulls you up mountains or down cliffs to see what Nintendo has hidden around Hyrule, the game might not click for you. If you do have that desire but just have felt like you needed to follow the main path, don't be afraid to ignore the main quests for a bit.

Audette

I tried playing Horizon during down time from BOTW and I couldn't do it, so going from one of those games to the other isn't exactly organic.

Horizon's controls feel like the opposite of what BOTW does so I had to put it down till I was finished. OP might be having the same issue but reversed.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Was in the same boat as you OP. Theres some stuff I really like about the game but overall just did not enjoy my time with it. Tried to force myself to like it but I just can't. Spent like $500 to play it and just underwhelmed by it all. If you aren't enjoying it you should honestly just stop.

SenkiDala

Personally I still can't accept that there are no temples in the game. And no those 4 "things" are not temples. :(

And not sanctuaries don't replace temples. :/

But out of that I loved the game.

Charamiwa

Banned
All the neogaf members that don't like this game and don't understand the praise, please come to this thread. Now's your time to shine.

I think part of the problem is that it's not really a "Zelda" game as people understand it. I never really liked 3D Zeldas, though I respected them enough to keep trying. They're highly directed action adventures with focus on puzzle solving. Breath of the Wild is an emergent fucking-around game. They're really totally different genres, to the point where the difference here is arguably greater than the jump between 2D and 3D Zeldas.
See, this is an actual good response as you actually look at where the OP is coming from instead of just ignoring it and assuming they want to fit in with everyone else and that's it.

I agree that it's very different, and I was even spoiled by playing games with major importance on narrative and structure, vs the emergent-open-world which definitely feels cool, but I just need to come down from playing several other open-world games (Gravity Rush 2, FFXV, Horizon, etc.) before I can get lost in it.

Luckily Persona 5 is a more traditional combat system and a very compelling visual-novel style experience, so I've been spending a ton of time in that and can see that by the time I'm done with this I may be hankering for something with far more freedom.

Mathieran

Banned
Don't feel bad I can't get into it either. I actually like the goofiness of the characters though. But I hate the combat, it feels bad. The climbing is boring as fuck, even though I appreciate the freedom of it.

The more I play, the more I grow to dislike the fragile weapons.

The exploration is probably the greatest part of the game. I also liked the shrines. But outside of that I didn't find much to get into. Played for probably about 25 hours or so and just stopped.

The Wart

I want to take it seriously but so many characters and dialogue are so goofy. Should I take a lot of it as just tongue in cheek?

Think of it like Princess Bride. Whimsical yet also capable of serious emotion. And Zelda side characters has always been goofy, it's just in this game there are a ton of side characters and the main characters almost only ever show up in flashbacks.

JayEH

I don't know how you can say Botw is a game that doesn't change. It's very open. Then you make a weird comparison to Nier for some reason.

Don't feel bad I can't get into it either. I actually like the goofiness of the characters though. But I hate the combat, it feels bad. The climbing is boring as fuck, even though I appreciate the freedom of it.

The more I play, the more I grow to dislike the fragile weapons.

The exploration is probably the greatest part of the game. I also liked the shrines. But outside of that I didn't find much to get into. Played for probably about 25 hours or so and just stopped.

The controls feel archaic. It's been hard to get used to. The weapon breaking I absolutely can't stand. But I'm going to take the suggestion of many people on here and to give it time. I'm just reminding myself that it's not a typical linear Zelda and that the series was never really built around strong characters outside of the main ones. I also need to keep in mind that I should just slow down and don't worry so much about getting to the next point... Go where I want and see what I find. The next hurdle I need to clear is that of my time restraint but having the switch helps.

Think of it like Princess Bride. Whimsical yet also capable of serious emotion. And Zelda side characters has always been goofy, it's just in this game there are a ton of side characters and the main characters almost only ever show up in flashbacks.

That's a great way to look at it.

ldar247

Banned
Opposite for me, I loved BoTW but absolutely hated the other zelda games I tried (ALBW, Minish Cap and OoT, especially the first two). You probably just prefer the simple gameplay and tighter level design of them vs BotW's openness and focus on sandbox-y physics based combat. Personally I hope they never go back to the old style.

-Horizon-

There's nothing wrong lol
Some games just don't click. For me, Horizon just isn't doing it for me.
I'm liking botw but I also see a bunch of issues with it that bug me.

well they did change or remove a lot of things that had become Zelda staples:
instruments, sidekicks, dungeons, linear story etc and replaced them with a soulless Link and a whole lot of running around aimlessly.

3fD44Gv.png

kunonabi

All the neogaf members that don't like this game and don't understand the praise, please come to this thread. Now's your time to shine.

Eh, not sure i want to engage with the botw defense force much more. Those kool aid drinkers in the dlc and ot threads are trying my sanity as it is.

The Goat

I was sort of in the same boat when I started, OP. I had just finished Horizon, and everything felt off about Zelda. The more I played it though, the more I got the controls down (switch the JUMP button NOW) and the game really opens up after the first couple of hours. Once you get the paraglider, the world is yours.

There's just so much to see and do, it's overwhelming at first, but you'll come to love the game, don't worry. The charm in the world is second to none.

night814

It sounds like your not quite at the point of the game really opening up. If you've only just got the sheikah slate upgrade to find shrines you're really only at the beginning still. From a TP perspective consider yourself at the first wolf transformation, there's still tons of stuff to see and do. If exploring aimlessly isn't working than focus on something; get as many towers you can see and get to, find some side quests in the towns, track some shrines down and see how crazy some of the puzzles in them are. Game has a lot to offer but if you're not feeling it it just might not be for you.

Silvawuff

There is nothing wrong with you, OP. You are free to enjoy (or not enjoy) whatever game you please, even in spite of popular opinion.

I've been feeling the same way. The controls are just weird. Not really intuitive. People complain about the Witcher 3's combat, but this doesn't feel much better. The shrines are okay, but I also just spent 20 minutes trying to roll a ball into place with horrible motion controls and a bad view perspective. Of course I realized there's no reason to beat the shrine anyway so I left. The music is lacking. I kind of want to explore the world, but graphically it's just not very impressive. I personally think Wind Waker HD is better looking. I might just go wandering around some more to see what the world has to offer, but I'm not sure I'll end up beating this game.

Yup, I think BotW is a great game that does a lot of things really well but it disappoints me as someone who loves 3D Zelda. Dungeons are kind of lame, 90% of the characters and towns are kind of lame, the music is definitely lame, and while the premise is good I could have used a bit more story telling.

That's just my opinion though. Exploring the massive world is still fun and I won't blame people when it wins GOTY. So far though I've enjoyed Persona and Yakuza more.

Red Devil

It's okay to be wrong OP.
/s

Yeah, like other says if it isn't doing it for you just leave it, you just didn't like it enough to be bothered to keep playing, that's it.

well they did change or remove a lot of things that had become Zelda staples:
instruments, sidekicks, dungeons, linear story etc and replaced them with a soulless Link and a whole lot of running around aimlessly.

Huh?

I feel the same way OP. I really enjoyed the game a first , but my enjoyment started to fall off pretty rapidly after leaving the plateau. I've played the game for over 10 hours and have had periods of great enjoyment but they tend to be separated by long stretches of boredom. I also feel that because the game is so open, you can maybe get unlucky and just have such a different experience than other people. I feel like I run from place to place and don't see many exciting things in between when I hear so many people talk about how they find awesome things all over the world. I really don't seem to find much of it! I haven't played the game in about a month now and don't really plan on going back soon. I would like to give it another shot at some point. Maybe later this year.

Arkage

Banned
I think a lot of people feel a hangup in relation to story progress vs random exploration. I'm one of those people that really enjoys storylines, so a lot of the exploration I did before I beat the "main quests" felt like decent fun but mostly trying to distract me from the Important Narrative, which takes forever to make progress in. Then, after I beat it, I found exploration much more enjoyable. It became a pick-up-and-play experience to knock out a shrine here or there, rather than a "man I really should try to push through to the next town, I've been twiddling my fingers too long in this area" experience.

Considering how weak the main narrative is to begin with, and how little it has to do with the actual gameplay or mechanics, it should've just been listed as yet another sidequest instead of ever having a "main quest." Or maybe not list it at all, and let players naturally discover the towns, considering you don't need to do any of that stuff to beat the game anyway. Maybe that would've helped me properly size up its importance in relation to any other activity you might be doing in the game.

Hope this helps with your playthrough :D

Eh, not sure i want to engage with the botw defense force much more. Those kool aid drinkers in the dlc and ot threads are trying my sanity as it is.

It's fine to not like a game but calling fans of a game (and judging by sales and reviews they're the majority in this case) who congregate in the threads for fans of the game "drinking the kool aid" doesn't make you look any smarter.

Kuro

It's fine to not like a game but calling fans of a game (and judging by sales and reviews they're the majority in this case) who congregate in the threads for fans of the game "drinking the kool aid" doesn't make you look any smarter.

Neither does grouping people up just because they don't like the game or certain aspects of the game. The first month or so of release you would get swarmed for any criticism because LUL 97 meta. In the end, there will always be discussion of if people liked or didn't like a game in a thread where OP is having trouble enjoying the game and asking GAF their opinion.

Top Bottom