• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel responds to i7-7700K high temp. issue — tells owners they shouldn't overclock

cb3be830_capturefla32.png

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html
https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan

Intel Communities (Intel Forums) —— Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
TechSpot —— Intel responds to i7-7700K high temperate issue, tells owners they shouldn't overclock the chips
NCIX Tech Tips [YouTube] —— Intel i7 7700K temp spikes, Xeon Scalable Processors, Dota 2 Campaign

The Register —— Gamers red hot with fury over Intel Core i7-7700 temperature spikes - High-end CPUs prone to randomly running near thermal limit

Reg reader Bastard-Wizard says that he and many other i7-7700 owners are finding that the chips will occasionally kick themselves into overdrive, running at temperatures as high as 90°C (194°F) at times. Intel says the i7-7700 will run at temperatures up to 100°C (212°F).

"My own chip suffers from it, (without any overclocking) which is quite an annoyance," our tipster writes. "This despite a delid modification and a proper water loop, resulting in the fans ramping up and down very frequently, and the temperature appearing to frequently spike near the danger zone."

The users note that these temperatures are even being seen in high-end gaming rigs with liquid cooling setups with the chips running at fairly low voltages.

"At this point though, with the temps most people are seeing, even good chips capable of hitting high clocks at low voltage still have very little headroom due to the thermal spikes these chips are displaying at even stock settings," notes user mrobscura.

"It's ridiculous that previous gen chips run cooler at equal or higher clocks despite needing to pump much higher voltage through them to obtain said clocks."

Making things worse, the users say, is that after more than three months of asking for a fix or even an explanation from Intel, the only response from Chipzilla has been a forum post more or less shrugging off the matter.

PC Gamer —— Intel tells Core i7-7700K owners to stop overclocking to avoid high temps

In an ongoing thread on Intel's community forums, a spokesman for Intel offered up the following response:

"We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the Intel Core i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer’s manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called 'de-lidding'). These actions will void the processor warranty."​

The TL;DR version is that everything checks out on Intel's end and users should not overclocked their Core i7-7700K processors, which have unlocked multipliers specifically for overclocking.

As you might imagine, Intel's response did not sit well with users. The first response to Intel's post is from a ticked off customer who has sworn off Intel products.

"Three months waiting for Intel to come out with a solution, and now this?! This is all you can say?! We know already what you've just said... You know what, never mind, this would be my last product from Intel," the user wrote.

Another user called Intel's response "BS," noting that "some 7700K [processors] run even hotter than an AMD Bulldozer overclocked at 5GHz."

"I don't even have the major issue like everyone else is having. However, after Intel's response just now, they are not getting another penny out of me. I'm going to sell my Intel stuff and go to Ryzen," yet another user wrote.

To Intel's credit, some users experiencing the issue have admitted to de-lidding their processors. One reason this is done so that cooling solutions can be applied directly to the CPU die, but it's a risky procedure that can result in a dead chip. Removing the IHS can also render certain coolers incompatible, as they were designed with the height of the IHS in mind. Another motivating factor is to replace the stock thermal compound that Intel uses between the die and IHS.

Intel has also never stated that it would warranty processors that have been overclocked or over-volted (though it does offer an overclocking warranty as a separate purchase). However, that isn't the part that has users all riled up. They're ticked because Intel basically shrugged off the temperature spikes as being normal, and telling them to run their unlocked CPUs at stock settings rubs salt in the wound.

Related:
Bitspower —— Bitspower CPU Integrated Heat Spreader (Silver Shining)
Bitspower —— Bitspower CPU Integrated Heat Spreader For Intel 7th-gen CPU (Silver Shining)

Optimum Tech [YouTube] —— i7 7700k Delidding Results - Is it Worth it?
Hardware Unboxed [YouTube] —— Deliding My Core i7-7700K: Amazing Temperature Improvements!
Tech City [YouTube] —— DELIDDING The i7-7700k - How much of a Difference is there?

Saprol

users should not overclocked their Core i7-7700K processors, which have unlocked multipliers specifically for overclocking.

Paying extra dollars for just a K on the end of the name...

My 6700k overclocked only gets up to the 90C range when I use synthetic tests. In real world settings, I never see it going past like 80C.

My house is also like a furnace.

F34R

Ugh! I was literally 5 minutes away from buying this CPU and doing a decent up-to-date gaming rig.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hmmm, perhaps I should hang on to my 4790k @4.7Ghz a little longer

L.O.R.D

Wait a minute,normal 7700 overheated?
My friend is doing a setup for work that have 7700 (not the K version)
Should he change it? To what if?

Don't overclock your K processor? WTF? Are they high?

They can't honestly have thought that would sit well with their customers. Right?

rrs

Wait a minute,normal 7700 overheated?
My friend is doing a setup for work that have 7700 (not the K version)
Should he change it? To what if?
7700s are fine, it seems to be a rare, serious hardware defect which Intel is responding to with "get bent." This also reminds me that I should buy some heatsinks for my motherboard since the voltage regulators don't have any and overheat on any stress

tioslash

Sure, next time I´ll make sure to buy a "K" CPU just to easily underclock the chip, with its unlocked multiplier and all, just to make it run even cooler.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
AMD is the future boys. I regret my 7600k.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/05/03/amd-stock-collides-with-reality.aspx

Shares of Advanced Micro Devices (NASDAQ:AMD) soared nearly 300% in 2016 due to nothing but hope. Hope that, after years of losses, a deluge of new products would make AMD competitive in its core markets once again. Hope that, despite intense competition from Intel and NVIDIA, profits would eventually surge to record highs.

AMD stock lost 24% of its value on Tuesday as this euphoric optimism collided with reality. The company's first-quarter report simply matched analyst expectations, with revenue growing but losses persisting. Polaris, AMD's mainstream graphics cards, and Ryzen 7, its high-end CPUs, delivered growth. But the company's guidance for the second quarter left a lot to be desired considering the slate of new products.

There's no question that AMD is more competitive today than it was a few years ago. There's also no question that its revenue will continue to rise in the second half, driven by more product launches. But AMD's comeback won't be easy, and it won't be quick.

The idea that AMD is simply going to waltz in and steal significant market share from Intel and NVIDIA, which drove the explosion in the stock price last year, is optimistic to say the least. AMD is playing catch-up everywhere. Investors betting on the best-case scenario need to adjust their expectations.

AMD's on the right track, but they can't really afford too many slip-ups.

L.O.R.D

7700s are fine, it seems to be a rare, serious hardware defect which Intel is responding to with "get bent" This also reminds me that I should buy some heatsinks for my motherboard since the voltage regulators don't have any and overheat on any stress
From the first quote
Reg reader Bastard-Wizard says that he and many other i7-7700 owners are finding that the chips will occasionally kick themselves into overdrive, running at temperatures as high as 90°C (194°F) at times. Intel says the i7-7700 will run at temperatures up to 100°C (212°F).

"My own chip suffers from it, (without any overclocking) which is quite an annoyance," our tipster writes. "This despite a delid modification and a proper water loop, resulting in the fans ramping up and down very frequently, and the temperature appearing to frequently spike near the danger zone."

Did they forget to add "K" to it?
I remember Intel removed the ability to overclocked any non K processor.

rtcn63

I'm out of the loop. I thought over clocking was always at your own risk.

It's more that K processors, and I may be wrong, exist solely to overclock. It's the reason you pay the cost premium for one over a non-K.

Sure, the actual performance increase particularly for gaming may be small (IIRC both Digital Foundry and GamersNexus noted a ~4% max FPS improvement at ~5GHz for a 7700K + GTX 1080), but people are having issues with temps even at stock clocks with decent coolers.

espher

I just picked up one of these last week and finally got it installed last night - guess I should have done my research.

Although I'm not OCing, it hasn't cracked 60 degrees while under load with some CPU-intensive titles. Admittedly, I'm pretty sure my old 4690k never went above that either, and that was OC'd to 4.2. I've got a Dark Rock 3 and no add'l cooling/fans in the case beyond the rear fan.

scitek

I'll see my CPU temps on Afterburner spike like that, but only for a second before going back to like 70. It actually hit 100 today for a brief moment. I chalked it up to faulty detection or something since it's always so brief. I guess I should consider dropping my clock speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPAlcMpyjgU

If you have 20 minutes, watch this video, explains pretty well why AMDs stock crashed in one day and why it doesn't really mean jackshit.

I can think of many better things to do with 20 minutes than watch AdoredTV.

That being said, anyone who pays attention to Nvidia knows that a few months ago, they reported earnings which crushed estimates by 44% and the stock dropped nearly 30% in a week. I'm not even bullshitting here, it was pretty impressive to witness first hand. The stock market is what it is, if you're going to grab the raging bull by the horns be prepared for the possibility you might be gored.

Pachimari

What in the... I thought I had finally found myself a CPU to upgrade to, but it seems like I should wait for their next K series.

I can think of many better things to do with 20 minutes than watch AdoredTV.

That being said, anyone who pays attention to Nvidia knows that a few months ago, they reported earnings which crushed estimates by 44% and the stock dropped nearly 30% in a week. I'm not even bullshitting here, it was pretty impressive to witness first hand. The stock market is what it is, if you're going to grab the raging bull by the horns be prepared for the possibility you might be gored.

It's almost like the stock market is playground for the rich, and fluctuates due to short-term speculation.

I'm of two minds about this.

On one hand, overclocking is by definition the act of running a processor outside of manufacture specifications. Intel absolutely shouldn't be responsible for that.

On the other hand, K series chips are very clearly intended to being overclocked, and Intel knows full well that's why consumers pay extra for them. Heck, that's why K chips don't come with heatsinks anymore—because Intel knows that overclockers are going to want better, aftermarket coolers. For them to just wring their hands and say "well, you decided to overclock so it's not our problem" is a bit disingenuous.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Wait, this is May 5, 2017. How have I not heard these complaints of overheating, before now?

Did any of the major tech sites mention temps, in their reviews? I can't recall any doing so.

rtcn63

Wait, this is May 5, 2017. How have I not heard these complaints of overheating, before now?

Did any of the major tech sites mention this, in their reviews? I can't recall any.

I recall a few mentioning that Kaby Lake in particular ran hotter than usual. Although Intel has been using questionable TIM for awhile...

Hux1ey

Banned

Did any of the major tech sites mention temps, in their reviews? I can't recall any doing so.

Seriously, only heard good things about the 7700k until now.

Top Bottom