• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel responds to i7-7700K high temp. issue — tells owners they shouldn't overclock

WarpathDC

I use the overclock from my MSI gaming M5 when I am playing games, anyone know if that will cause anything? It has two settings, Overclock and Gaming, will that be ok? I use an EVGA CLC to cool it.

IMO NEVER do a MOBO easy OC, they are usually shit and will use too much voltage etc resulting in higher temps than a manual OC. There are plenty of guides, especially for the MSI M5, and would highly recommend you take the time to do it that way. It will be worth the time.

Oh I wish i had seen this thread 2 months ago.
My brothers PC went bang so I sold my one to him and got a new one with a 7700k. Bad idea. It's stupidly hot nearly all the time. At 4.2ghz it's idle temp is around 55 - 70c. This is with this case - CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 460X GAMING CASE and this AIO CPU Fan - Hydro Series™ H80i v2 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Plus an extra fan on top. Could'nt get the twin Corsair CPU fan as the RAM sticks were too big.

Anyway, the temps are ridiculous. I wish I had paid more attention initially. Can't see a way to fix it except go full water cooled. Even underclocking the CPU to 3.6 barely reduces temps that much - maybe 15c. In some games like Andromeda when it was at 4.2 it would regularly hit 90c. Really bad. I should had waited a month and got a Ryzen instead.

Weevilone

Between the 7700k temp issues and the hyper-threading issues, I've about had it with Intel.

It's cool though, as long as we don't overclock or use hyper-threading we'll be fine.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
IMO NEVER do a MOBO easy OC, they are usually shit and will use too much voltage etc resulting in higher temps than a manual OC. There are plenty of guides, especially for the MSI M5, and would highly recommend you take the time to do it that way. It will be worth the time.

Thanks for the info, I will look into some guides and not use the easy overclock. I was hoping the MSI M5 easy settings would be ok, but I don’t want to cause any issues.

I love tech and I by new things all the time, I just never know how to do it. I have enjoyed the i7-7700k though. It pairs well with my EVGA and runs games great.

Again, thanks for the info.

Top Bottom