• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel responds to i7-7700K high temp. issue — tells owners they shouldn't overclock

Well shit Intel. Just finished my build 3 weeks ago and even though i heard the 7700k were running "warm"... i figured it would be ok. Running the stock 4.2 with a Cryo H7.

I'm consistently averaging in the low 80C during PUBG capped at 140... am i toast when i start to push it? Overwatch is about the same as well. :/

You definitely do not want to be pushing that thing if you're already averaging in the 80s. That's crazy. 80 is my limit, even knowing the max is 100. My monitoring software warns me anytime my CPU goes over 83.

I'm at mid 60s when playing BF1. Maybe hitting 70 when stress testing. I consider that "no room for overclocking" territory.

My problem is that my CPU is stable at 4.9Ghz at only 1.27v, but it becomes unstable when I enable my XMP profile and I do not know anything bout overclocking RAM in order to fine-tune things. So I keep my CPU at stock with my XMP profile enabled. 4.5Ghz (turbo) will have to do until I can delid my CPU somehow.

You definitely do not want to be pushing that thing if you're already averaging in the 80s. That's crazy. 80 is my limit, even knowing the max is 100. My monitoring software warns me anytime my CPU goes over 83.

I'm at mid 60s when playing BF1. Maybe hitting 70 when stress testing. I consider that "no room for overclocking" territory.

My problem is that my CPU is stable at 4.9Ghz at only 1.27v, but it becomes unstable when I enable my XMP profile and I do not know anything bout overclocking RAM in order to fine-tune things. So I keep my CPU at stock with my XMP profile enabled. 4.5Ghz (turbo) will have to do until I can delid my CPU somehow.

Only 70?! Shit... maybe i should try to remove the cooler and redoing the thermal paste again? Just used the stock tube of paste that came with the H7.

Only 70?! Shit... maybe i should try to remove the cooler and redoing the thermal paste again? Just used the stock tube of paste that came with the H7.

I'm using a Kraken X52 (240mm rad AiO cooler) and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (supposedly the best non liquid metal paste there is). I know my cooler isn't the best so there's probably room for improvement there.

Replacing the paste isn't going to make a huge difference though. 5 degrees at best probably.

At 1.35v (4.9Ghz + XMP stable) I start getting into the mid 80s when stress testing AND gaming. So I backed off, figuring the OC wasn't worth the extra heat. Kinda bums me out though because I bought the K with the intention of messing around with overclocking again but... blah.

mephixto

Banned

Welp, I was thinking a few weeks ago in replacing my old 3930k with a 7700k. Guess I'll pass. I was wetting weird temps lately with the 3930k on water getting to hot 80° to 90° at 4.7Ghz.

Funny enough I had to hit the hose of the AIO and the temps went down to their normal, 45° iddle 60° on load.

LordOfChaos

I'm glad Ryzen is soldered to the IHS, no secondary layer of poor quality TIM to go through (TIM isn't as good a conductor as metal, it's there because it's better than air which isn't very good).

Delidded%20Ryzen%207%201700%20Die.JPG

I hope this puts some pressure on Intel to do the same. Sure it makes life harder for delidders, but they probably would feel less need to if things started out as cool as they can go with an IHS...

OraleeWey

What kind of testing should I do to my 7700k to see if it is getting hotter than usual?

So far it hasn't gone past 45c using a water cooled CPU. It is also running stock speeds.

rtcn63

What kind of testing should I do to my 7700k to see if it is getting hotter than usual?

So far it hasn't gone past 45c using a water cooled CPU. It is also running stock speeds.

Have you noticed any significant performance throttling while gaming? Especially in CPU-heavy games? If not, you're probably good.

.... I'd kill for 45c to be my max temps.

Try running Prime95. That's how I stress test mine.

Have you noticed any significant performance throttling while gaming? Especially in CPU-heavy games? If not, you're probably good.

I don't think it throttles until you hit 100c. But I still hear that it's generally not good to be running over 80 degrees for sustained periods of time.

OraleeWey

Honestly I really don't know. I'm not one to pay attention to that sort of stuff. Only thing I notice is that when I go inside a building in GTA V online my frames do drop. Is this normal where otherwise it is smooth 60fps? I haven't been playing GTA for a long time.

.... I'd kill for 45c to be my max temps.

Try running Prime95. That's how I stress test mine.

I don't think it throttles until you hit 100c. But I still hear that it's generally not good to be running over 80 degrees for sustained periods of time.

I'll try Prime95, thanks. I'm at work now so I'll post my findings tomorrow.

rtcn63

Honestly I really don't know. I'm not one to pay attention to that sort of stuff. Only thing I notice is that when I go inside a building in GTA V online my frames do drop. Is this normal where otherwise it is smooth 60fps? I haven't been playing GTA for a long time.

GTA V is just a weird, weird game. http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2878-gta-v-stuttering-mystery-on-i5-r5-cpus-part-2 (not really applicable if you're on an i7 or not doing 150ish FPS, but a good read still)

EDIT: And if you haven't already, go into the Nvidia control panel and under global settings, set power management mode to "adaptive". Then under program settings, set the power management mode for GTA V to "prefer maximum performance". This is a necessary thing for some games.

OraleeWey

GTA V is just a weird, weird game. http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2878-gta-v-stuttering-mystery-on-i5-r5-cpus-part-2 (not really applicable if you're on an i7 or not doing 150ish FPS, but a good read still)

EDIT: And if you haven't already, go into the Nvidia control panel and under global settings, set power management mode to "adaptive". Then under program settings, set the power management mode for GTA V to "prefer maximum performance". This is a necessary thing for some games.

Thanks for the info. I'll do this! Maybe it'll be smooth throughout now!

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm pretty happy with my i5-7600k but might try a Zen build here and give my cousin the parts to upgrade as he's running an i3-6300 I think it is. Does battlefield 1 perfectly fine lol, but I want to make sure he gets a nice 1080p/60 god destiny 2 experience

Well shit Intel. Just finished my build 3 weeks ago and even though i heard the 7700k were running "warm"... i figured it would be ok. Running the stock 4.2 with a Cryo H7.

I'm consistently averaging in the low 80C during PUBG capped at 140... am i toast when i start to push it? Overwatch is about the same as well. :/

Low 80s is way, way too high. I'm concerned when my 5820K gets near 60 during the summer when gaming.

I work in the IC industry. Intel fucked up hard. This should have been caught during HTOL testing. Essentially you're supposed to test 50-100 units at accelerated temperature/load to validate that their design is robust enough to meet their guarantee. This should have been caught when the first material was being characterized. If they let it go like this it's absolutely lawsuit time.

Tommy DJ

Pretty sure you have nothing to worry about with 60. That's pretty damn normal.

That guy is hilarious, you're never going to get 60 degrees even with the beefiest air coolers and under a full load. The TJMax of Haswell-E, in theory, is somewhere between 95 to 105 degrees celsius.

I don't think its physically possible to kill an Intel CPU with heat anymore. They aren't like AMD Thunderbirds, which would catch on fire without a heatsink. Intel (and I presume AMD processors) will throttle/shut down/whatever and save itself if things get too dicey. I can't stress this enough, you can't kill an Intel processor with "heat" even if you forget to put the heatsink on. It'll do everything in its power to save itself.

gatti-man

Why did they stop soldering them on?

Cost id imagine. Either that or got tired of people buying their cheaper CPUs and overclocking them up to and beyond their top of the line processors.

That's what I've done for my last three builds and it always works out. Their CPUs are bullet proof in my experience as well.

I'm using a Kraken X52 (240mm rad AiO cooler) and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (supposedly the best non liquid metal paste there is). I know my cooler isn't the best so there's probably room for improvement there.

Replacing the paste isn't going to make a huge difference though. 5 degrees at best probably.

At 1.35v (4.9Ghz + XMP stable) I start getting into the mid 80s when stress testing AND gaming. So I backed off, figuring the OC wasn't worth the extra heat. Kinda bums me out though because I bought the K with the intention of messing around with overclocking again but... blah.

Well fuck... i guess i need to start the RMA process. This processor is great... but it's too damn hot. :( I wonder if i can just return/exchange it to Amazon where i picked it up.

Well fuck... i guess i need to start the RMA process. This processor is great... but it's too damn hot. :( I wonder if i can just return/exchange it to Amazon where i picked it up.
Depends on when you bought it. I wish I got mine from Amazon, but Microcenter was having a good deal on the 7700k so I walked in there and pretty much picked out my whole system.

I'd still be within Amazon's return policy now. I'd refund it, buy one from Silicon Lottery (delidded), and ship my current to Amazon after receiving the new one.

Weevilone

I'm sick of my 7700k spiking temps. My fans rev up and down in a cycle. I'm not home and I guarantee they are doing it right now.

Will likely give the next AMD revision a consideration.

I'm sick of my 7700k spiking temps. My fans rev up and down in a cycle. I'm not home and I guarantee they are doing it right now.

Will likely give the next AMD revision a consideration.

I'm actually returning mine and getting a delidded one from Silicon Lottery. I'll probably update the thread on how the process goes and what the results are afterwards for anyone that may consider it.

The pricing comes very close to what you'd pay for a delidding kit + liquid metal + glue.

Bastos

Shit, I'm about to build a new PC and after hearing about 7700K and 7600K I don't know what the hell I should do.

A friend will travel to the USA and was going to bring me some stuff, I don't have much time to wait for i9 to launch or something :c

Is it safe to get a 7700K if I have watercooling?

Shit, I'm about to build a new PC and after hearing about 7700K and 7600K I don't know what the hell I should do.

A friend will travel to the USA and was going to bring me some stuff, I don't have much time to wait for i9 to launch or something :c

Is it safe to get a 7700K if I have watercooling?

Wondering the same thing, im ready to upgrade next month.

Renekton

I'm actually returning mine and getting a delidded one from Silicon Lottery. I'll probably update the thread on how the process goes and what the results are afterwards for anyone that may consider it.

The pricing comes very close to what you'd pay for a delidding kit + liquid metal + glue.
Does Silicon Lottery delid for you?

https://siliconlottery.com/products/delid

Intel CPU Delid

$ 49.99

Silicon Lottery Delidding Solution

• Compatible with all mainstream Intel CPUs that use paste instead of solder, including the 3570K, 3770K, 4670K, 4770K, G3258, 4690K, 4790K, 5675C, 5775C, 6600K, 6700K, 7350K, 7600K, and 7700K.
  • Not compatible with Intel CPUs that use traditional solder, including Sandy Bridge, Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E, Haswell-E, and Broadwell-E.
  • Purchase with a Silicon Lottery binned CPU, or purchase separately and mail in your own. [emphasis from Silicon Lottery site posting]
  • IHS is removed from the CPU using various methods proven to be risk free.
  • VRMs and contact pads are coated with liquid electric tape, if applicable.
  • Stock thermal paste is replaced with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra.
  • IHS is sealed back into place, so the CPU can be treated just as if it were stock.

Temperature improvements vary depending on processor sample and architecture. Temperatures under an overclocked load (1.3V-1.4V) will decrease anywhere from 5° to 25°C. Typical temperature improvements are listed below:

Ivy Bridge: 10°C to 25°C
Haswell: 10°C to 25°C
Devil's Canyon: 7°C to 15°C
Broadwell: 8°C to 18°C
Skylake: 8°C to 18°C
Kaby Lake: 12°C to 25°C

Please allow 1-2 business days for delidding to be completed.

Answered already, but yes. When I looked up how much I would pay for a delid kit, liquid metal, and glue, I figured I would be paying the same price. They should get my CPU tomorrow. Should have it back early next week to test.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Answered already, but yes. When I looked up how much I would pay for a delid kit, liquid metal, and glue, I figured I would be paying the same price. They should get my CPU tomorrow. Should have it back early next week to test.

So basically if you buy a delidded CPU directly from them, they guarantee your chip will reach and sustain the advertised temps? So if I buy the a delided 7700K advertised at 5.2Ghz that's what I can expect it to run at?

Renekton

So basically if you buy a delidded CPU directly from them, they guarantee your chip will reach and sustain the advertised temps? So if I buy the a delided 7700K advertised at 5.2Ghz that's what I can expect it to run at?
They won't guarantee temperature, what they can guarantee is the CPU at the listed clock/voltage passes a certain ROG stress test.

They sell binned CPUs, which are guaranteed to hit the clock speed advertised. But they are not delidded. You still have to pay for that in addition to the binned price.

Or you can play the "silicon lottery" and buy your own CPU at the retail price, have it delidded, and hope that you can reach a higher stable clock speed once your temps are more manageable.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I use the overclock from my MSI gaming M5 when I am playing games, anyone know if that will cause anything? It has two settings, Overclock and Gaming, will that be ok? I use an EVGA CLC to cool it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
They sell binned CPUs, which are guaranteed to hit the clock speed advertised. But they are not delidded. You still have to pay for that in addition to the binned price.

Or you can play the "silicon lottery" and buy your own CPU at the retail price, have it delidded, and hope that you can reach a higher stable clock speed once your temps are more manageable.

Thanks for the clarification Jim.

Bastos

·feist·;237196554 said:
https://siliconlottery.com/products/delid

Intel CPU Delid

$ 49.99

Silicon Lottery Delidding Solution

• Compatible with all mainstream Intel CPUs that use paste instead of solder, including the 3570K, 3770K, 4670K, 4770K, G3258, 4690K, 4790K, 5675C, 5775C, 6600K, 6700K, 7350K, 7600K, and 7700K.
  • Not compatible with Intel CPUs that use traditional solder, including Sandy Bridge, Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E, Haswell-E, and Broadwell-E.
  • Purchase with a Silicon Lottery binned CPU, or purchase separately and mail in your own. [emphasis from Silicon Lottery site posting]
  • IHS is removed from the CPU using various methods proven to be risk free.
  • VRMs and contact pads are coated with liquid electric tape, if applicable.
  • Stock thermal paste is replaced with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra.
  • IHS is sealed back into place, so the CPU can be treated just as if it were stock.

Temperature improvements vary depending on processor sample and architecture. Temperatures under an overclocked load (1.3V-1.4V) will decrease anywhere from 5° to 25°C. Typical temperature improvements are listed below:

Ivy Bridge: 10°C to 25°C
Haswell: 10°C to 25°C
Devil's Canyon: 7°C to 15°C
Broadwell: 8°C to 18°C
Skylake: 8°C to 18°C
Kaby Lake: 12°C to 25°C

Please allow 1-2 business days for delidding to be completed.
So if I buy a 7700K from these guys and ask for a delliding I won't have to worry about any heating problems?

MaDKaT

Finally was able to delid mine. I don't have a great cooler, just a corsair h60. Previous I could only clock about 4.6@1.75 but would easily hit past 95+c during prime95 or ROG and 80c while gaming so i backed off the OC. Now with the delid I'll peak at 83c during tests and about 60C gaming/VR. All at 4.8@1.325. Would like to push further but I need get a better cooler that will work with my case. Idle/low still hovers 35-40c depending on room temp. All in all I'm pretty satisfied now.

RESULTS!

7700k @ 4.9Ghz - 1.344V

Before delid Prime95
After 30 minutes - 83° with fans running at 100%

After delid Prime95
After 30 minutes - 66° with fans running at 70%

Nice to know that I could keep it cooler with higher fan speeds. I'm not going to see how much more overclocking headroom that gives me as I'm going to use the rest of my time tonight playing some games.

Celcius

°Temp. member
RESULTS!

7700k @ 4.9Ghz - 1.344V

Before delid Prime95
After 30 minutes - 83° with fans running at 100%

After delid Prime95
After 30 minutes - 66° with fans running at 70%

Nice to know that I could keep it cooler with higher fan speeds. I'm not going to see how much more overclocking headroom that gives me as I'm going to use the rest of my time tonight playing some games.

Nice results, that makes it tempting

Akim

Banned
If anyone is on the fence about delidding, I say do it. I'm the biggest idiot ever and I did it with the rockit cool tool. I was able to OC to 5ghz no problem with the kraken x52 cooler hitting about 60c with full load.

nomis

Glad I delidded, YOLO on the warranty.

I max at 79 degrees at load, and I didn't even bother to manually tweak the voltage, it's on auto and goes up to about 1.4v

If anyone is on the fence about delidding, I say do it. I'm the biggest idiot ever and I did it with the rockit cool tool. I was able to OC to 5ghz no problem with the kraken x52 cooler hitting about 60c with full load.

That's awesome, but what are the performance differences between say at 4.7Ghz and 5Ghz? Is it really worth it? Not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely interested.

I also have the Kraken X52. I go a little warmer, but 1.344V is also pretty high. I'm happy.

WarpathDC

My chip idles at 28c but gets random idle spike in the high 30s, low 40s. I have a pretty aggressive fan curve (noctua fans on a corsair h110i v2) and the fan wind up is annoying. It's a great cpu performance-wise but yes at stock under full load with my cooling solution (my full tower atx setup is like an f'ing wind tunnel) it get 60c-65c under heavy load gaming for extended periods of time which is not bad at all. I did get the protection plan from microcenter so I might take it back before my two year swap is up if the kaby lake successor will have the same mobo support. Otherwise, it is a hot cpu, even much hotter than coming from my i5-3570k OC'ed to 4.5ghz cooled on a H60 but there is a difference of nearly 20 in the TWP between those chips so I expected it to run hotter.

To me, it's not a show stopper but intel's response is bullshit. They should do further testing and see if they can fix the occassional spikes on the software/FW side of things.

TL;DR Yes it is a hot chip, but I still would recommend it. When I get to trying to OC it (no need, no bottlenecking yet really I've noticed gaming) I might have a different opinion.

Top Bottom