• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel responds to i7-7700K high temp. issue — tells owners they shouldn't overclock

senj

Wait, this is May 5, 2017. How have I not heard these complaints of overheating, before now?

Did any of the major tech sites mention temps, in their reviews? I can't recall any doing so.
Yeah, is this an issue with a new stepping or something? I've been hearing the 7700K recommended glowingly for months

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Seriously, only heard good things about the 7700k until now.

The more I read the OP, the less I think it matches the thread title.

I mean their sources are a few forum users.

Where are the widespread overheating complaints? Why did none of the major tech sites report this first?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yeah, is this an issue with a new stepping or something? I've been hearing the 7700K recommended glowingly for months

I'm wondering this too. I know the 6700k's were extremely hit and miss with voltage and thermals. My friend can hit 4.8ghz on 1.36vcore. I need 1.425 to hit 4.7! Can't even hit 4.8.

Maybe they should go back to soldiering on the heatspreader like they used to before switching to that cheap thermal paste shit. You know, back when they weren't the most stagnant tech company outside of Apple.

liezryou

I can think of many better things to do with 20 minutes than watch AdoredTV.

That being said, anyone who pays attention to Nvidia knows that a few months ago, they reported earnings which crushed estimates by 44% and the stock dropped nearly 30% in a week. I'm not even bullshitting here, it was pretty impressive to witness first hand. The stock market is what it is, if you're going to grab the raging bull by the horns be prepared for the possibility you might be gored.

Hey jackass, If you don't wanna watch, don't watch it. Leaving a flame-bait comment that adds nothing to the discussion is not constructive at all.

Hux1ey

Banned

Where are the widespread overheating complaints? Why did none of the major tech sites report this first?

It's a mystery!

Hey jackass, If you don't wanna watch, don't watch it. Leaving a flame-bait comment that adds nothing to the discussion is not constructive at all.

Well that escalated quickly.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
What's the point in using the cheapest possible thermal compound when you've got AMD breathing down your neck...

Pagusas

Elden Member
What's the point in using the cheapest possible thermal compound when you've got AMD breathing down your neck...

do people believe this? I see no sign of AMD breathing down their necks, and they most certainly werent doing it when the 7700k launched. Zen was just a guessing game at that time, and AMD has been nothing but a miserable POS on hitting expectation, let alone never ever exceeding them in the last 10 years. Even after, I'd dare say Zen did nothing more than meet, if slightly disappoint on what everyone expected.

Renekton

Intel already made an official reply on their community forums, which matches the thread title.

Intel said:
We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called 'de-lidding'). These actions will void the processor warranty

Just to be clear: Nobody recommends overclocking past stock frequencies or removing the IHS. Nobody will cover a CPU damaged by those things under warranty. None of this is new news. OCing has always been at your own risk, and no frequencies are guaranteed except the stock ones.

You're welcome to try blowing an AMD CPU up from OCing it and see if they'll cover it under warranty. (Spoiler: They won't.)

JRW

Meh my i7 920 oc'd 3.5Ghz (stock intel cooler + HT & Turbo enabled) has been hitting 85C under load for 7 years now lol.

I'm out of the loop. I thought over clocking was always at your own risk.
It is. Both Intel and AMD have had implied and explicit marketing towards overclocking their products. Neither will guarantee your warranty under those conditions, outside the scope of Intel's Processor Tuning Plan.

Apart from the usual voided CPU small print warnings, I don't recall either outwardly making a statement in this way, advising users to leave stock a product they specifically market for overclocking prowess.

Maybe they should go back to soldiering on the heatspreader like they used to before switching to that cheap thermal paste shit. You know, back when they weren't the most stagnant tech company outside of Apple.
The 4c/8t X299 HEDT i7 7740K should be telling in this regard. Will it match the other X299 parts, or be closer to Kaby Lake TIM?

Along with a more full-featured platform, using higher quality interface should lead to a greater number of samples clocking into ~4.8-5.2GHz range with reasonable 24/7 temps and volts, without requiring a delid.

Brand recognition is a firewall for many things. As for the bold, lower costs are obviously more likely to increase your chances for higher profits.

inner-G

Banned
Glad I skipped kaby lake altogether.

Seemed like a money grab from the get-go, without much new performance anyway, they had to artificially inflate the value of it by putting stuff like 4K Netflix behind a paywall of sorts.

low-G

I'll see my CPU temps on Afterburner spike like that, but only for a second before going back to like 70. It actually hit 100 today for a brief moment. I chalked it up to faulty detection or something since it's always so brief. I guess I should consider dropping my clock speed.

Is it possible that these temps really aren't spiking? Has anyone used some sensor to detect if they really are spiking?

I have almost zero knowledge of solid state physics, but can anyone say if this is even really possible? If so, what could even cause this?

I suppose some sort of faulty voltage regulation, but would the heat dissipate so quickly afterwards too?

Anyways, seems really strange. I haven't seen anything like this at all on my overclocked Skylake build.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Just to be clear: Nobody recommends overclocking past stock frequencies or removing the IHS. Nobody will cover a CPU damaged by those things under warranty. None of this is new news. OCing has always been at your own risk, and no frequencies are guaranteed except the stock ones.

You're welcome to try blowing an AMD CPU up from OCing it and see if they'll cover it under warranty. (Spoiler: They won't.)

Intel still could have used more appropriate language, such as "we only guarantee thermal compliance and stable operation at stock voltage and frequencies. Anything over those we are not responsible for thermal and stable issues"

That way they aren't saying "don't do it" they are saying "we made it to work at this standard, anything off that is your own business and we have nothing to do with it"

"Don't overclock the CPU we made you pay an extra 50 bucks to allow overclocking on it and the extra 150 bucks motherboard to overclock it because of arbitrary limitations on our end to make people pay more." :""")

do people believe this? I see no sign of AMD breathing down their necks, and they most certainly werent doing it when the 7700k launched. Zen was just a guessing game at that time, and AMD has been nothing but a miserable POS on hitting expectation, let alone never ever exceeding them in the last 10 years. Even after, I'd dare say Zen did nothing more than meet, if slightly disappoint on what everyone expected.
Uh what? No, not at all. Outside of gaming at 1080p, Ryzen matches if not bests Intel in terms of price to performance in the CPU market now.

The only relevant Intel CPU now is the 7700k. In the i5 bracket I would not recommend any i5 processors and in the High End bracket I would not recommend any LGA 2011 chips unless you need all those DIMM slots or PCI lanes.

Pachinko

Sounds like I made the right call building a new PC 15 months ago with a 6700K instead. Although I'm lazy and don't overclock , I just assumed that the K series being intended for OCing would also be a slightly higher quality component compared to the non K (like, they only take the best chips off the line to slap the K on the box).

Sucks for those out there that DID invest the hundreds of dollars into a brand new 7700K only to be unable to crank that shit up to it's limits without melting the chip though.

They should perhaps have told people that before they became owners.
Case for a lawsuit here? Seems not fit for purpose to me. Overclocking is the entire reason for the existence of K models. It's what they sell these things on and why people buy them.

Soltype

Intel should allow peole to delid, it's not the hardest thing to do and it really helps with temps.I just did a 3770k for someone this week.

7yg8bKxl.jpg

Kudo

Intel should allow peole to delid, it's not the hardest thing to do and it really helps with temps.I just did a 3770k for someone this week.

7yg8bKxl.jpg

Nah, they honestly should start selling these without the lid on if they can't be arsed to put in proper paste.
That way there's no risk of breaking as no delid is required and users can put their own stuff between the lid and chip.

gatti-man

7yg8bKxl.jpg

Either allow it, sell it delided, or soldier them like they used to. I'd prefer soldierd CPUs myself.

"Don't overclock the CPU we made you pay an extra 50 bucks to allow overclocking on it and the extra 150 bucks motherboard to overclock it because of arbitrary limitations on our end to make people pay more." :""")

Yeah, this is so absurd that you basically cannot make it up. Tsk tsk tsk Intel. I hope the enthusiast press is reaming them.

OmegaX06

It's strange that this is getting traction now. Maybe some sort of anti-intel campaign? This CPU was released in January -- such complaints should have been addressed then. This info has also been pretty common knowledge anyways...this has been an issue since Ivy Bridge when they stopped using a soldered on TIM.

Sorry to interrupt your hate parade but there's an actual technical reason why Intel can't use the solder anymore.

Their dies have gotten so small, even with including an iGPU on every die, that using the solder will create too much uneven thermal stress and the die will crack as it expands if it's soldered to the IHS. That's why they are using thermal paste.

Up until recently, the dies of Xeons and therefore HEDT chips were large enough to keep using the solder. This will also go away with Skylake-X because those are now also so small they run into the same problem. Haswell-E was the last HEDT that was soldered to the IHS.

Datschge

It's strange that this is getting traction now. Maybe some sort of anti-intel campaign? This CPU was released in January -- such complaints should have been addressed then. This info has also been pretty common knowledge anyways...this has been an issue since Ivy Bridge when they stopped using a soldered on TIM.
The market changed, the one competitor sells all chips unlocked, and the 7700K is widely recommenced for its superior overclocking headroom for which Intel ask a premium. In this context more complaints now than back in January makes sense.

I was watching a Linus Tech Tips video the other day and he said that de-liding wasn't worth the effort as it didn't make much - if any - real difference.

I don't get it: there are countless sites around with people benchmarking 5ghz 7700ks and no sign of temp-related complaints. Pushing the thermal envelope will get you higher temps of course.

My cpu has a moderate oc (4,7/4,8) and runs normally. Even our own pc building thread has been quite about this issue.

It's gotten a LOT easier. Tools like the Rockit are basically fool-proof

A de-lidded 7700k can run like 20 degrees cooler at load

They did a test that didn't show any real difference running AIDA-64 and it didn't show much difference. I am going to look into it further to see what the scoop is.

Seriously, only heard good things about the 7700k until now.

I'm wondering if they were using after-market coolers? Tech sites like to reuse equipment, so I guess it's possible they used something like a Cooler Master Hyper 612 or something. My temps on the i7-7700k don't go up much, but I'm not using the stock cooler.

Still a dick move by Intel

Mohasus

I'm wondering if they were using after-market coolers? Tech sites like to reuse equipment, so I guess it's possible they used something like a Cooler Master Hyper 612 or something. My temps on the i7-7700k don't go up much, but I'm not using the stock cooler.

Still a dick move by Intel

There is no stock cooler for the 7700k.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Company has been shitty on solutions to keep their cpus cool since Ivy bridge. Pretty hit or miss and as they guy says they are fail when a bulldozer at 5ghz has less heat problems.

So going ryzen or whatever amd has after my 3570 and 4690 chips start showing their age. in titles I use which is basically overwatch and poe thse days. Will love it get a decent gaming cpu and upgrade with a much need increase in production performance with more cores.

Soltype

I was watching a Linus Tech Tips video the other day and he said that de-liding wasn't worth the effort as it didn't make much - if any - real difference.

They did a test that didn't show any real difference running AIDA-64 and it didn't show much difference. I am going to look into it further to see what the scoop is.

He didn't use much paste, and it wasn't liquid metal either.This guy had good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNLubjXKHLs

Smokey

What a garbage response.

Don't overclock the chip you spent a premium on, despite said chip being unlocked for the sole purpose of overclocking.

trash

Tommy DJ

Linus can be pretty damn wonky with tech sometimes that I don't put a lot of stock in anything that isn't an opinion about usability. He's definitely wrong here, delidding my i5 4670k knocked down a whole 15 degree during full load. That's with IHS adhesive removed and stock TIM replaced with liquid metal. I'm using a Noctua 120mm heatsink so putting pressure on the IHS is easy.

His results are strange. The only two reasons why I think he got trash results is that he wasn't using liquid metal and that he used that god awful Intel stock cooler with those terrible push pins for the test.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Don't overclock your K processor? WTF? Are they high?

They can't honestly have thought that would sit well with their customers. Right?

"This sucks, but what are they going to do? Buy AMD" che roaring evil laughter in Intel HQ.

:/.

I find their "buying unlocked processors we suggest are even greater thanks to overclocking, but please just trust us and do not overclock" to be the usual bullcrap market leaders that feel to have an invincible monopolistic hold on the market would pull to see how much they control their customers or how much weight they do indeed have or just hubris...

Top Bottom