• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem (Wii) New Screens

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Do we know if there is there going to be a Wiimote-only control option?

I like the idea of a SRPG with that.

Zalasta

Granted I play SRPG like FE for the gameplay, but would it kill them to spruce up the battle animation at the very least. It's my biggest problem for this series. If I have to look at fights 50x per mission, at least make them interesting to watch (or skippable, though I do not remember if it's an option here)...

jepense

Zalasta said:
Granted I play SRPG like FE for the gameplay, but would it kill them to spruce up the battle animation at the very least. It's my biggest problem for this series. If I have to look at fights 50x per mission, at least make them interesting to watch (or skippable, though I do not remember if it's an option here)...
You can turn them off (all / for some characters).

Zalasta said:

If they have it like AWDS, pressing 'A' will simply skip the fight cutscene. (Which is pretty much the best way to do it.)

And who doesn't play SRPGs for gameplay? They've never pushed graphics, as far as I can recall... :lol

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Zalasta said:

It's funny that you complaint about the battle animations, because you can swicht of the animations in the main mané of the game. Also, you can skip animations by nuit, that's if you want to see animation of a unit in particular.

I think that almost all of the FE players, ends taking out the battle animations. The game goes faster withouth it.

tanasten said:
It's funny that you complaint about the battle animations, because you can swicht of the animations in the main mané of the game. Also, you can skip animations by nuit, that's if you want to see animation of a unit in particular.

I think that almost all of the FE players, ends taking out the battle animations. The game goes faster withouth it.

I'm one of the few who don't. It's not like I'm strapped for time, after all.

Hero

Sweet, sweet Fire Emblem. I eagerly anticipate your release in America.

NoA: That means get this out during summer 2007 and not fall 2007 where it will get overshadowed by everything else.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
ToxicAdam said:
Too bad it's not coming for Gamecube. I will not buy a Wii for this game ... but I would love to play it.

pope.jpg

Buy a Wii for zelda then with the added bonus that you can play this game too. :lol

KINGMOKU

ToxicAdam said:
Too bad it's not coming for Gamecube. I will not buy a Wii for this game ... but I would love to play it.
Good for you then, I guess. Fight the power! *sigh*

Anyways, I am excited as hell for this game, as someone here suggested FE for the Cube, and it was my first FE. I thank whoever that was. Great ****ing game, and this one is looking like an amazing follow-up.

I am really interested in terrain having an impact on battles, as that was the one thing I was thinking should have been included in the Gamecube FE.

Not that it bothers me that much, but I hope that this one has far more cut-scenes then the Gamecube FE, as they were pretty awesome, but so erratic in thier placment through-out the game. I also hope this one has voice-overs, instead of the mountain of text you have to read to continue the story. Again, not that big of a deal, but it would be a nice addition.

So, is it stupid of me to hope for a July/August American release?

IceIpor

AniHawk said:
...Is that Ike in the first pic?

I don't think that's Ike... that's probably Zelgius.
If you don't remember him, he played a minor role in watching over Daein after you conquered it.
He's also a person behind a somewhat infamous Black Knight theory.

That last screenshot is weird. 0 damage, 0 hit rate, yet he clearly did 10?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I just learnt Fire Emblem was made by Intelligent Systems. My interest suddenly raised. I must confess I never pay any attention to this series. Is it really that good? (knowing I don't like tactic games)

Taurus

marc^o^ said:
I just learnt Fire Emblem was made by Intelligent Systems. My interest suddenly raised. I must confess I never pay any attention to this series. Is it really that good? (knowing I don't like tactic games)
I bought Path of Radiance couple of weeks ago and it's awesome (never played any Fire Emblem games be4). Goes easily in to my top 5 GC games list. Can't wait for this new one! But it's gonna be a long wait before they bring it to Europe. :(

IceIpor

There's another scan out there with artwork of Elincia and her two blue haired retainers (Geoffrey and Lucia).

I'm not familiar enough with the rules of scans, so all I'll say is that they don't look very happy...

Ranger X

marc^o^ said:

Well, if you don't know tactic RPGs i suppose you're in for deception. What is that you don't like in this genre? (it's going to tell me more about what you're getting into)

duckroll said:
The game runs at 60fps, and has better models than the GC Fire Emblem. It also has a tutorial mode, and Normal, Hard and Maniac difficulty options. There are twice as many movies as the GC FE as well. Fans should be more than happy. Not to mention they've also finally decided to introduce true 3D terrain in the game with differences in terrain height accounting into attacks.

duckroll said:
It has about 1.5 times the content of the GC FE and will take about 40-50 hours to complete.

My Wii purchase vindicated in the space of two posts. Thank you, kind sir.

*commences drooling anticipation*

marc^o^

Ranger X said:
Well, if you don't know tactic RPGs i suppose you're in for deception. What is that you don't like in this genre? (it's going to tell me more about what you're getting into)
Well, my only reference would be Final Fantasy Tactics. I tried to like it, but it never clicked on me.

marc^o^ said:

Just buy Path of Radiance (GameCube), it's probably your best bet as a new-comer to the franchise, I guarantee you'll enjoy it somewhat, and if not, how much do Cube games even go for today? It's a definite steal anyway you look at it. ;)

tanasten said:

Exactly. Even if the animations were awesome, I'd only want to watch 1/1000th of the fights I actually partake in. The game just flows so much better not being interrupted by animation every 5 seconds.

I do this in AW, too. Once you've seen it a few times you've seen enough.
Besides, the gameplay is so awesome I don't want to get sidetracked by fights that I already know the outcome of (barring any critical hits or misses).

- edit -

Also, I actually like the visuals. They're not spectacular, but they look pleasing to me. I don't care much for AWESOME graphics unless I'm playing an FPS / Sports / Adventure game. Not that awesome graphics hurt, but I feel they're just superfluous for Fire Emblem/strategy games in general.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Paging Dragona Akehi! Paging Dragona Akehi

Hahaha Awesome! Day one for me and I don't know when I'm going to have time to play/finish it :p
Edit:
Mr. Pointy said:
Do I see Wiimote pointer support?
Even better! All three controllers lending input support. Day 0.5 if I could :p

Ranger X

Forgotten Ancient said:
Exactly. Even if the animations were awesome, I'd only want to watch 1/1000th of the fights I actually partake in. The game just flows so much better not being interrupted by animation every 5 seconds.

I do this in AW, too. Once you've seen it a few times you've seen enough.
Besides, the gameplay is so awesome I don't want to get sidetracked by fights that I already know the outcome of (barring any critical hits or misses).

- edit -

Also, I actually like the visuals. They're not spectacular, but they look pleasing to me. I don't care much for AWESOME graphics unless I'm playing an FPS / Sports / Adventure game. Not that awesome graphics hurt, but I feel they're just superfluous for Fire Emblem/strategy games in general.

That's still completely subjective (about the animations). In the 2D Fire Emblems the animations were awesome and i NEVER skipped any even if i am a big Fire Emblem fan.
The animations help the immersion alot and they are my biggest deception in Path of Radiance. I hope they'll get better in this one.

Ranger X said:
That's still completely subjective (about the animations). In the 2D Fire Emblems the animations were awesome and i NEVER skipped any even if i am a big Fire Emblem fan.
The animations help the immersion alot and they are my biggest deception in Path of Radiance. I hope they'll get better in this one.

Well, for those who look forward to the battle animations, I hope Nintendo/IS makes substantial improvements then. I never said I didn't want it to be better, it's just that I personally don't care. But for those that do, I hope Nintendo makes you happy. :D

Ranger X

marc^o^ said:
Well, my only reference would be Final Fantasy Tactics. I tried to like it, but it never clicked on me.

There is one HUGE difference with FF Tactic. (by the way, i hate FF Tactics)
FF Tactic the order the characters are fighting is determined by some stat(s) -- i ****ing hate this.
In Fire Emblem it's "party vs party" and this make some huge difference in the gameplay and how you proceed through the battles. Today i can tell you that i cannot stand a tactic RPG that isn't "party vs party", it's THAT superior.

(what i mean by party vs party is that you have a player phase where you move all your characters in your prefered order and then it's all the ennemis moving before you move again)

marc^o^

Ranger X said:
There is one HUGE difference with FF Tactic. (by the way, i hate FF Tactics)
FF Tactic the order the characters are fighting is determined by some stat(s) -- i ****ing hate this.
In Fire Emblem it's "party vs party" and this make some huge difference in the gameplay and how you proceed through the battles. Today i can tell you that i cannot stand a tactic RPG that isn't "party vs party", it's THAT superior.

(what i mean by party vs party is that you have a player phase where you move all your characters in your prefered order and then it's all the ennemis moving before you move again)
Okay I may give it a shot then. Thanks.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Fire Emblem is also more streamlined and simple than FFT not saying that's bad. the game is simple but it's so well balanced Fire Emblem is one of those games where if you died is because YOU ****ed up and deserve to die :p

I suggest trying FE9 if you want a console FE. FE7 if you want a taste of handheld FE goodness I didnt like FE8 that much it's the worst of all the FEs I have played (it still rocks btw)

and yeah I prefer FE to FFT by a wide margin.

Ginko

Error2k4 said:
Fire Emblem is also more streamlined and simple than FFT not saying that's bad. the game is simple but it's so well balanced Fire Emblem is one of those games where if you died is because YOU ****ed up and deserve to die :p
ِAnd that's why FE is one of the best (if not the best) SRPGs.

haircut

Error2k4 said:
Well you could theoretically end up with a lot of RNG-screwed characters because of the leveling system. That hardly ever happens with Ike but still

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Testicular Sound Express said:
i could have sworn that pointer control was confirmed in a hands on preview.
Dude, look in the pictures. You can use the Wiimote, GCN controller or the classic controller on the Wiimote.

AniHawk said:
I hope the turnaround time on the translation is relatively quick. Historically, it has taken around 6 months or so to bring a FE from Japan to the US, and it'd be nice to have by summer instead of fall.

Ya, Nintendo should invest a lot more money in translators so that games like this don´t take an extra half year to come out in NA. They should also get a Spanish translation team. Think of all the latino gamers in Spain and the Americas who would love to play a game like Zelda, Pokemon or FE if they could only understand it. Microsoft translates their first party games to Spanish, and seeing how Nintendo´s games are even more popular amongst latinos (at least here in Mexico), I imagine Nintendo could more than recoup the Spanish translation costs - at the very least with their biggest games.

Sort of OT, but I like how they allow the use of regular controllers in Wii games. It's kind of funny, though, that "standard" controllers are essentially optional peripherals instead of the non-traditional wii-mote. Clever.

I hope they make a Wii "Gamecube" controller in the not-too-distant future that's similar to the Wavebird, but is blue/white and has rumble.

deepred

I really hope wiimote controls will be better implemented in Fire Emblem than stylus controls were in Advance Wars DS... :(

Top Bottom