• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem (Wii) New Screens

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Bungalow Bob said:
Ya, Nintendo should invest a lot more money in translators so that games like this don´t take an extra half year to come out in NA. They should also get a Spanish translation team. Think of all the latino gamers in Spain and the Americas who would love to play a game like Zelda, Pokemon or FE if they could only understand it. Microsoft translates their first party games to Spanish, and seeing how Nintendo´s games are even more popular amongst latinos (at least here in Mexico), I imagine Nintendo could more than recoup the Spanish translation costs - at the very least with their biggest games.

Here's an insider secret: the actual text translation (ie from Japanese to English), is NOT the time-consuming bit in localizing a game. Hiring "more" translators will do you no good.

Ranger X

jwj442 said:
I don't think PC-style strategy games would work that well with the Wii, though tactical SRPGs would be nice. But games like Civilization, Starcraft, and Dawn of War require very precise selection (the Wiimote has great speed, but lacks the precision of the mouse), hotkeys, and good resolution.

The game couldn't be a copy-paste of the PC version. There would be balancing problems.
It still is easy to do imo because the the only difference you would have from a mouse most of the time is only speed difference. This is easily tweakable.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Bungalow Bob said:
Ya, Nintendo should invest a lot more money in translators so that games like this don´t take an extra half year to come out in NA. They should also get a Spanish translation team. Think of all the latino gamers in Spain and the Americas who would love to play a game like Zelda, Pokemon or FE if they could only understand it. Microsoft translates their first party games to Spanish, and seeing how Nintendo´s games are even more popular amongst latinos (at least here in Mexico), I imagine Nintendo could more than recoup the Spanish translation costs - at the very least with their biggest games.

Er... sorry to tell you... but Spanish Fire Emblem does exist... Atleast in the PAL version.

Durante

joelseph said:
To clarify, point and click in a three dimensional enviroment is inferior to a two dimensional control scheme for top-down grid based strategy games.
Pellham said something like this as well, and I just don't get the argument. If your control mechanism provides 3 dimensions, and you only need 2 in your game, why not just discard the third? Like the whole Wii OS interface does?

jwj442 said:
But games like Civilization, Starcraft, and Dawn of War require very precise selection (the Wiimote has great speed, but lacks the precision of the mouse), hotkeys, and good resolution.
Those things should all be managable. Use the nunchuck for quick in & out zooming and camera manipulation as suggested previously, that mitigates the precise selection and resolution issues. As to hotkeys, well, if I were the one making the Wii RTS i'd put the current unit or squad's options into a radial menu accessible with the Z button, and make another radial menu for squad assignment/selection with the C button. I think that would work quite well. Not mouse & keyboard of course, but far far better than controllers.

deepred

joelseph said:
I would imagine controling Fire Emblem with the Wiimote would be worse than controling Advance Wars with the stylus. How many people are using the stylus in AW? I hated it personally. Grid based games don't lend themselves to point and click imo.

Because it wasn't done well in AW. There weren't buttons to click on, and you couldn't see how much damage you made to different units without selecting one for good. Stylus control was clearly added as an after-thought in AW.

Tempy said:
Here's an insider secret: the actual text translation (ie from Japanese to English), is NOT the time-consuming bit in localizing a game. Hiring "more" translators will do you no good.

So I guess they would have to hire more programmers, right? Am I right in assuming it would cost less than $50 000 to translate a game like FE into a foreign language (assuming the use of subtitles for cutscenes)?

tanasten said:
Er... sorry to tell you... but Spanish Fire Emblem does exist... Atleast in the PAL version.

Really? I had no idea! Thanks for the heads up - seriously. That brings into question, WTF is Nintendo thinking not bringing that out in Mexico, California, Texas, etc. etc.

On the other hand, that´s excellent news for me. Thank you. :)

tanasten

Bungalow Bob said:
Really? I had no idea! Thanks for the heads up - seriously. That brings into question, WTF is Nintendo thinking not bringing that out in Mexico, California, Texas, etc. etc.

On the other hand, that´s excellent news for me. Thank you. :)

Well, it's a good question. Why Nintendo doesn't wait to include Castillian (Spanish talked in Spain) in the USA version? That would be positive for all the south america countries as they use the same format.

Maybe, it's because the spanish from south america differs from the spanish from spain, and Nintendo prefers not to deliver the game with castillian? Maybe because Nintendo doesn't want to make the wait a bit longer to publish it in USA?

It sucks that you can't enjoy games like Zelda or Fire Emblem in spanish. I'm very sorry for that.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Path of Radiance was pretty shit... I doubt this will be any different.
I wish people could get banned for stuff like that, seriously. doesnt add anything to the discussion, this is a flamebait post in every sense of the word.

tanasten

Please, ban him. Such a blasphemy shouldn't be tolerated at GAF.

Edit: BTW, I'm not serious. Don't ban him for such a free coment. Don't be like others, who bans people just for saying that "I am interested on an XBOX360" (after the announcement of VF5)

tanasten said:
Well, it's a good question. Why Nintendo doesn't wait to include Castillian (Spanish talked in Spain) in the USA version? That would be positive for all the south america countries as they use the same format.

Maybe, it's because the spanish from south america differs from the spanish from spain, and Nintendo prefers not to deliver the game with castillian? Maybe because Nintendo doesn't want to make the wait a bit longer to publish it in USA?

It sucks that you can't enjoy games like Zelda or Fire Emblem in spanish. I'm very sorry for that.

The difference between the different... umm... dialects of Spanish (or Castellano) is just slightly greater than the difference between British and American English. So basically it´s easy to understand, other than local slang, expressions, and very few regular words. I think the biggest reason is that there is no Nintendo of Latin America. Hell, they should pay me (handsomely) to start it up. For example, Wii at Blockbuster here costs 5500 pesos - as much as a core PS3 in the States.

I think Nintendo´s leaving a fair bit of money on the table by not expanding. Seeing how chess, videogames and fantasy stories are all fairly popular here, I´d imagine a game like FE could sell well in Latin America.

Anyways, at least I now know I can import!

Eteric Rice

I never played the original. I love SRPGs, though, so I'll be buying this the first week. :)

It'd be nice if they pushed the Wii, some.

Why isn´t this kinda post an automatic 2 day ban? I´ve been wondering this for a while now, and now that my account´s been validated I can finally ask.

tanasten

Bungalow Bob said:
Why isn´t this kinda post an automatic 2 day ban? I´ve been wondering this for a while now, and now that my account´s been validated I can finally ask.

it's better not to derail the topic. No one will win neither.

Error

oh dunno if this is old or not but FE10 (FE Wii :p) will have 6 different types of magic spells and 6 different types of weapons.

joelseph said:
I would imagine controling Fire Emblem with the Wiimote would be worse than controling Advance Wars with the stylus. How many people are using the stylus in AW? I hated it personally. Grid based games don't lend themselves to point and click imo.
I use the stylus, I really like it. Never had a problem clicking things.
If the Wiimote works as well, I'm sold.

Error

Kevar said:
Holy what
duckroll said:
Fire Emblem Wii is also coming in Feb. There will be 3 new weapon and magic types. And the big addition to the system being height difference in the geography actually mattering now.
I was counting the old ones too, so thats why I said 6 of each.

Eteric Rice

Does anyone know if they're planning on including the original GC Fire Emblem with the new one, or not? I remember hearing that, but I'm not sure.

tanasten

Error2k4 said:
oh dunno if this is old or not but FE10 (FE Wii :p) will have 6 different types of magic spells and 6 different types of weapons.

there are 6 types of magic in older FE: fire, wind, thunder, light, dark, anima.

and if we do count semi-humans (shhhhh, don't tell to Lethe) we have six kinds of weapons too (sword, spear, axe, beak, breath and knukles)

Let's wait and see what they're expanding. I hope it's not too much.

Edit: I forgot about arrows, and the diferent type of ground weapons.

haircut

tanasten said:
there are 6 types of magic in older FE: fire, wind, thunder, light, dark, anima.

and if we do count semi-humans (shhhhh, don't tell to Lethe) we have six kinds of weapons too (sword, spear, axe, beak, breath and knukles)

Let's wait and see what they're expanding. I hope it's not too much.

Edit: I forgot about arrows, and the diferent type of ground weapons.
If you're counting beaks and stuff you should also count bows.

dejan

I'm currently playing FE:poR and I'm loving it (played the shit outta the GBA versions before). Can't wait for a sequel, but I'm dissapointed to hear that there will be no GC version of Akatsuki no Megami. Guess I'll end up buying a Wii just for this game. I'm such a sad SRPG whore ... :(

tanasten

underfooter said:
I've never played a Fire Emblem game. Ever.

....maybe I should start.

Get the original Fire Emblem for GBA. It's the best for newcomers, and a ****ing great experience. Latter, go for FE Path of Radiance. You will be a happier man after beat-'M.

Error

what Im excited about is 3d terrain actually matters now, FE9 was awesome but my biggest gripe with the game was that it was 3d game but played like a 2d game the terrain didnt really matter in battles.

LM4sure

Banned
Looks brilliant. I played one of these games on the GBA. It was a lot of fun, and I usually don't like these types of games.

Jammy

Banned
-Greater number of cutscenes
-Plays at 60 frames per second
-Terrain now effects gameplay
-Double the number of weapons and spells
-GCN controller support

This is shaping up to be one kickass game. :D

That's it. I'm playing POR non-stop until Fire Emblem Wii comes out. I WISH I could play the ones prior to the GBA, but they were never brought here. :(

They should bring those here on the VC.

Saoh

damn it! i never got a hold of PoR :(

damn you amazon for selling it at $50 after like a year, and damn you again for not having stock right now.

:(

Saoh said:
damn it! i never got a hold of PoR :(

damn you amazon for selling it at $50 after like a year, and damn you again for not having stock right now.

:(

I can't remember where it was, but someone posted a sale that had it at $9.99 a little while ago. But yeah, generally, it's still full price at most places. But it's worth it more than most games at that price.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Like all things FE, this will be awesome.

Maybe it's because I'm "new" to FE (joined the bandwagon the minute I played FE GBA) but please, PLEASE, IS fix the 3D battle animations. One of my biggest loves of the GBA ones was the detailed, fluid, over the top battle animations. PoR didn't satisfy, in that small regard.

Otherwise, total hope that FE Wii will rule faces.

Error

I watched a couple of vids with some battle scenes. while the animations in battles for FE10 are better than in FE9, dont expect much.

tanasten

Error2k4 said:
I watched a couple of vids with some battle scenes. while the animations in battles for FE10 are better than in FE9, dont expect much.

Were are videos from this game? I saw a few on IGN, gamevideos and so from various expos, but never saw quality videos for it.

Jeezus Christ, Nintendo is treating gamers right, eh. We got Zelda right out of the gate, and Fire Emblem is getting released so fast! :D

This looks great, and I can't wait! I heart Fire Emblem

jarrod

Banned
What happened to rumor aboput POR being included with this one (similar to FE3 having FE1 remade as the first half of the game)?

firex

Error2k4 said:
15971_n20070118_13_fe_05.jpg

Looking at this pic from the first post... It looks like there's one real "new" weapon type, while the other 2 are bows, and knives/daggers (from PoR, no doubt). Magic looks like they just added dark magic back in, which is awesome. I can't wait to get a dark mage!

Jiggy

I hope they build on what they had going with FE8 and FE9. FE7 is still my favorite of the three I played, for the characters and music (composition), but still the other two took steps forward: the item management in both, and the camp system in general in FE9, and all the things it brought with it (supports at a base instead of in the heat of battle make infinitely more sense, weapon creation, bonus experience), were cool. I'm guessing that much at least is preserved, but I hope they also bring back a post-game quest--it would have been really nice in FE8 if not for having to fight nothing but monster units (and the occasional thief).
Of course, that may or may not have anything to do with my sense of completionism--I don't "feel right" if there's not some way to get all my characters to the highest level possible, even if such can't be done until after the main quest is over.

Top Bottom