• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McConnell concedes GOP may not be able to repeal ObamaCare

That'd be wonderful news that we *might* not go backwards.

They should be thrilled as well since it might mean no public option/single-payer.

I'll quote a line from All the President's Men that describes almost every facet of this shitshow, from legislation to Russia:

Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand.

Ryan said the same thing after the House failed to pass their bill. I won't underestimate the Republicans' ability to rally behind a cause, no matter how stupid the cause is.

Kurdel

Banned
How can you run on this for 8 years and give up after 6 months? How will they spin this to blame the Democrats? "Your healthcare law was too tricksy for us to repeal?"

Fucking clowns

Mac_Lane

And Cruz is still being an asshole

Tensions between Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his old antagonist, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), have reappeared in the high-stakes negotiation over healthcare reform.

Cruz is insisting on a reform to the Senate GOP bill that senior GOP aides say is a nonstarter with much — if not most — of the Republican conference.

“I would say that if we voted on the Cruz proposal, it would be in the neighborhood of 37 to 15 against, 37 no votes and 15 yeses, and that’s probably generous,” said a GOP aide familiar with the Senate negotiations.

“Nobody wants to go home and say to a 45-year-old steelworker with diabetes that you should have to pay a lot more for your health insurance,” the aide added.

Frustrations are mounting with Cruz among Senate negotiators because leaders have felt blindsided by his demand that the legislation essentially eliminate the protection for people with pre-existing conditions.

VariantX

Yep. Stay vigilant.

Yep. They tried to make this happen even though the majority of folks, some republicans included hated it (especially when they found out ACA and Obamacare were the same thing)

Never underestimate their ability to simply not give a fuck about their fellow man.

g11

Looks like healthcare is back on the menu, boys?

I don't trust a single word out of that chinless goon's mouth.

LilZippa

How can you run on this for 8 years and give up after 6 months? How will they spin this to blame the Democrats? "Your healthcare law was too tricksy for us to repeal?"

Fucking clowns
Have you tried to shake things up for 6 months? It is exhausting.

Linkura

1HWQIPa.gif

What if they formed a group with members from both parties and independents and had them put their heads together and come up with some sort of compromise?

RPGCrazied

What if they formed a group with members from both parties and independents and had them put their heads together and come up with some sort of compromise?

Working with Democrats!? That is blasphemy! But yeah, not understanding why everyone can't come together and finally solve healthcare.

Other countries do it, we are the only ones with fucked up healthcare.

I do think many of them would prefer to leave healthcare alone.
They'd be better off finding their tax breaks through other means. Cuz that's what this is mostly about.

As much as they want to chop Medicaid, it may not prove to be worth it right now.

They need to control the cost of healthcare. It's way too high for what doesn't stack up to several other countries. Lower, controlled prices will open the way to many options including cheaper deductables and maybe single payer.

liquidtmd

Banned
Republicans

* "REPEAL AND REPLACE"!

* Can't think of anything

* Nope

* Nadda

* "OK Obamacare stays"

* Fuck it up for a few years

2019: "GODDAMNIT ITS ALL OBAMAS FAULT"

Working with Democrats!? That is blasphemy! But yeah, not understanding why everyone can't come together and finally solve healthcare.

Other countries do it, we are the only ones with fucked up healthcare.
Democrats already tried that. They incorporated a number of Republican ideas into ACA and of course they're all the worst ones. They got jack shit for it in terms of support because McConnell demanded No votes from everyone, fearing even one Republican vote would give them cover to say it was bipartisan.

Republicans
:clap:
Are
The
Problem

How can you run on this for 8 years and give up after 6 months?

Having complete control and being able to do less in over half a year than you ever have before is demoralizing as fuck. I'm glad they're getting humiliated and it's entirely their own fault from every angle

Zolo

It's a trap, i don't believe him

This is thinking too much. It wasn't a trap in the House. They just got a sudden surge of 'We have to get anything through to say we got it through, and the Senate will make its own version anyway' with Trump promising a party and everything. This isn't a trap either, but that's not to say that something may come up that changes senator minds.

Trakdown

Having complete control and being able to do less in over half a year than you ever have before is demoralizing as fuck. I'm glad they're getting humiliated and it's entirely their own fault from every angle

I'm so happy it's happening to Mitch "I want to make this president a 1-term president" McConnell. Hell, he'll be lucky if this president completes a full term.

And Cruz is still being an asshole
“Nobody wants to go home and say to a 45-year-old steelworker with diabetes that you should have to pay a lot more for your health insurance,” the aide added.

Frustrations are mounting with Cruz among Senate negotiators because leaders have felt blindsided by his demand that the legislation essentially eliminate the protection for people with pre-existing conditions.

No one would want to say that aside from the guy who thinks health care is like a Lamborghini, naturally.

Would anyone really be surprised if he tore off his face out of nowhere and revealed that he was a lizardman the whole time?

Peccavi

I assume statements like this and, "well maybe we'll work with dems," are really just threats to try to get the not-right-enough crowd in line.

Ryan said the same thing after the House failed to pass their bill. I won't underestimate the Republicans' ability to rally behind a cause, no matter how stupid the cause is.

This is true and a prudent outlook. That being said, the house knew they could pass a bill and fall back on the Senate to either kill it or make changes. The Senate doesn't have that luxury. Whatever they pass will go to the house for a straight up and down vote and this was confirmed by Ryan.

Lo-Volt

The best thing McConnell could do is honestly make the BRCA go away or something. Because letting any version of this through will be suicidal for one wing of the party or another. If he pleases the “moderate” Collins wing, it’ll be a shit sandwich that offends the hard right and the Freedom Caucus when if they get forced to vote for it for final passage. It’ll be a sop, confused, Diet Obamacare. It’ll include some support for Planned Parenthood to appease Sen. Collins and similarly pressured Republicans, so talk radio will basically set itself on fire.

But if he forces a hard-right BRCA through the Senate, he puts his party’s 2018 Senate map at risk. Voter opinion on basically every current Republican healthcare idea is profoundly sour, probably in every state. Does McConnell really think he can run the map? If not, well, then the bill is a bad idea. Oh, and ‘moderate’ Republicans in the House can’t immunize themselves from it either. Tom MacArthur of New Jersey tried to make the pill “less bitter” and got shellacked by fellow moderate representatives and his district.

Top Bottom