• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shape of Water - Guillermo del Toro

The trailer isn't online yet, but it's attached to War for the Planet of the Apes. I don't want to go too crazy but it seems pretty clear to me that
it's a Hellboy-universe film as Doug Jones is clearly playing Abe Sapien.

Speculation for movie content above.

GDT did it, y'all. This is a low-budget Split situation. Get excited. Or don't.

EDIT: TRAILER OUT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFYWazblaUA

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Interesting. Perhaps this was all Del Toro could get off the ground relating to Hellboy stuff but I'll take it.

Lifeline

I watched the trailer ahead of War yesterday, felt like they showed way too much.

Movie didn't look that good though. I think the good alien/bad government trope has been done too many times.

As soon as they announced Doug Jones and amphibian character I thought it was weird how he was doing an abe sapian movie in all but name only

But if it's actually that character thats very cool

Also Michael Shannon da gawd is in this so we'll at least get a solid performance this movie

As soon as they announced Doug Jones and amphibian character I thought it was weird how he was doing an abe sapian movie in all but name only

But if it's actually that character thats very cool

Also Michael Shannon da gawd is in this so we'll at least get a solid performance this movie
I'm speculating, but it's Doug Jones. And he looks exactly the same. Why do that if it's not?

Sojgat

wRqoo.gif

B33

Banned
I don't think it's an Abe Sapien movie set in the same universe as Hellboy because Guillermo del Toro and Fox don't have the rights to the property. Mignola chose a different direction to go in with the IP, which is why Hellboy 3 was canned.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It was fucking great, I was already excited for it because of Del Toro, but the trailer sold me on the movie.

[edit]

For it being a prequel to Hellboy, I've no idea, but it does seem to fit. The move is set in the late 1800s, around the time Abe Sapien was found, the creature looks EXTREMELY similar to Abe and it also likes eggs. I don't think it will be a secret prequel but there's a lot of similarities between Abe and this new guy.

I don't think it's an Abe Sapien movie set in the same universe as Hellboy because Guillermo del Toro and Fox don't have the rights to the property. Mignola chose a different direction to go in with the IP, which is why Hellboy 3 was canned.
So HiNO? Why do a merman with the same actor looking the same? He could've been anything. Literally. It's so odd

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Had no idea this existed! I'm glad we're getting a new Del Toro movie soon. And it sounds so great.

B33

Banned
So HiNO? Why do a merman with the same actor looking the same? He could've been anything. Literally. It's so odd
Perhaps it's inspired by the character but not literally a prequel?

Del Toro has an affinity for Doug Jones. They've worked together on projects other than Hellboy. Del Toro intended on casting Jones as the monster in his now defunct Frankenstein remake.

Perhaps it's inspired by the character but not literally a prequel?

Del Toro has an affinity for Doug Jones. They've worked together on projects other than Hellboy. Del Toro intended on casting Jones as the monster in his now defunct Frankenstein remake.
Definitely but it's a story about a fantasy creature and human falling for each other. The creature could look like literally anything. Why that? It's low-budget, Fox Searchlight. Feels very Split to me.

B33

Banned
Definitely but it's a story about a fantasy creature and human falling for each other. The creature could look like literally anything. Why that? It's low-budget, Fox Searchlight. Feels very Split to me.
I can see why you'd suspect it, but maybe there's an explanation for it beyond the movie being a covert prequel.

I'm fairly certain Guillermo del Toro and Mike Mignola drew inspiration from the Gill-Man design in The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) for their respective works.

I don't think the similarities are a result of it being a Hellboy prequel.

I can see why you'd suspect it, but maybe there's an explanation for it beyond the movie being a covert prequel.

I'm fairly certain Guillermo del Toro and Mike Mignola drew inspiration from the Gill-Man design in The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) for their respective works.

I don't think the similarities are a result of it being a Hellboy prequel.
Definitely. But Doug Jones + Merman + the success of Split really makes you wonder. The trailer never really gives you a great look at him, either...

Why go merman given the association anyone who cares about this will make? Jones could look like anything.

gamz

The trailer isn't online yet, but it's attached to War for the Planet of the Apes. I don't want to go too crazy but it seems pretty clear to me that
it's a Hellboy-universe film as Doug Jones is clearly playing Abe Sapien.

Speculation for movie content above.

GDT did it, y'all. This is a low-budget Split situation. Get excited.

If we already know it then it's not a Split situation. When is the trailer getting released?

It looks so like an Abe Sapien movie from the trailer. I'm not sure that it is one, and the story could potentially go places where it can't be one, but it sure as shit looks like one.

Definitely. But Doug Jones + Merman + the success of Split really makes you wonder. The trailer never really gives you a great look at him, either...

Why go merman given the association anyone who cares about this will make? Jones could look like anything.

The success of Split? Dude how long do you think this movie took to make?

Cheebo

Banned
Dude, stop with the wild speculation it's Hellboy.

It is not Hellboy. It has nothing to do with Hellboy. Period.

Fox doesn't have the rights to Hellboy, they can't use Hellboy characters. Split isn't a viable comparison because that was done by the same studio as the previous film it was connected to.

Why are we comparing this to Split?

The OP is wrong, it isn't even something that can be speculated about. Fox does not own the Hellboy rights. That is a different studio.

gamz

Fox doesn't have the rights to Hellboy, they can't use Hellboy characters. Split isn't a viable comparison because that was done by the same studio as the previous film it was connected to.

Not really. Night got permission to use the characters, but I get what you are saying.

Yeah, it's not a Hellboy sequel OP.

Cheebo

Banned
Not really. Night got permission to use the characters, but I get what you are saying.

Yeah, it's not a Hellboy sequel OP.

Yeah especially since the studio who does own Hellboy is working on rebooting the franchise without GDT. So no, they aren't giving rights away to a different studio to make a film connected to the old films while working on the reboot.

It would be like WB giving the rights to Paramount for Tim Burton to direct a prequel to Batman '89 while they were working on Batman Begins lol.

They cast David Habour as Hellboy in a Hellboy reboot:
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1680332/why-the-new-hellboy-movie-is-a-reboot

They aren't magically giving the rights to the franchise to another studio while they make this reboot movie.

The OP is wrong, it isn't even something that can be speculated about. Fox does not own the Hellboy rights. That is a different studio.
I get it. I do. But why did this movie come out of nowhere? Why is it a low-budget Fox Searchlight production? Why does the trailer obfuscate the merman? Why is it Doug Jones? Why are the glimpses we DO get so familiar looking? Why go merman at all? It could literally be any type of creature. Invent one! It's GDT, his mind is a playground.

I want to believe. Because otherwise the implications are underhanded. I'm fully prepared to be wrong here but wouldn't it be cool if I'm not? I dunno. It's a forum. Let's have fun. Stranger things have happened.

Cheebo

Banned
I get it. I do. But why did this movie come out of nowhere? Why is it a low-budget Fox Searchlight production? Why does the trailer obfuscate the merman? Why is it Doug Jones? Why are the glimpses we DO get so familiar looking? Why go merman at all? It could literally be any type of creature. Invent one! It's GDT, his mind is a playground.

I want to believe. Because otherwise the implications are underhanded. I'm fully prepared to be wrong here but wouldn't it be cool if I'm not? I dunno. It's a forum. Let's have fun. Stranger things have happened.
The fact its Fox Searchlights means its NOT Hellboy.

It is absolutely 100% impossible for it to be Hellboy. It is not even something to speculate about.

Hellboy is owned by another studio.
That studio has already announced a new Hellboy movie that is a reboot without GDT.

Just stop man. I could speculate that Wonder Woman is secretly a MCU film, but it doesn't mean I should.

Yeah especially since the studio who does own Hellboy is working on rebooting the franchise without GDT. So no, they aren't giving rights away to a different studio to make a film connected to the old films while working on the reboot.

It would be like WB giving the rights to Paramount for Tim Burton to direct a prequel to Batman '89 while they were working on Batman Begins lol.

They cast David Habour as Hellboy in a Hellboy reboot:
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1680332/why-the-new-hellboy-movie-is-a-reboot

They aren't magically giving the rights to the franchise to another studio while they make this reboot movie.
And yes, I knew about the rights and the other movie in preproduction when I made the thread. It's all just so... odd. For now I want to believe where there's smoke there's fire. The Hellboy world is big. Why not let multiple people play in it, especially if Abe isn't a part of the other film. Lawyers exist to work stuff like this out.

I'm thinking wishfully because I want this to be true, but it's not like they're not leading fans down this path!

Cheebo

Banned
And yes, I knew about the rights and the other movie in preproduction when I made the thread. It's all just so... odd. For now I want to believe where there's smoke there's fire. The Hellboy world is big. Why not let multiple people play if in, especially if Abe isn't a part of the other film. Lawyers exist to work stuff like this out.

I'm thinking wishfully because I want this to be true, but it's not like they're not leading fans down this path!

Dude the Hellboy universe being large has nothing to do with it. Hellboy. Is. Owned. By. Another. Studio. A studio that is actively developing a rebooted Hellboy film franchise.

There is no smoke, stop it man.

Dude the Hellboy universe being large has nothing to do with it. Hellboy. Is. Owned. By. Another. Studio. A studio that is actively developing a rebooted Hellboy film.

There is no smoke, you are the only one claiming there is any smoke lol.
Have you seen the trailer?

Monocle

I saw the trailer for this before Planet of the Apes, and I was like "yeah, that's Abe Sapien." The film looks fantastically weird in that way that's so particular to del Toro. I am super hyped.

Top Bottom