• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shape of Water - Guillermo del Toro

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Great trailer. Creature from the Black Lagoon + Amelie.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Trailer certainly worked for me, I'll be on blackout till the Blu-ray release.

berzeli

Banned
Creature from the Black Lagoon + Amelie.
Checks out.
IO21HKX.jpg

+
Xuh1mHk.jpg

=
ZYpFp0g.jpg

GavinUK86

That was a beautiful trailer. Maybe spoilt too much... or maybe not. Guess we'll see.

It's as if Guillermo and Doug were like, fuck it, we can't continue Hellboy so we'll make an Abe Sapien film that isn't Abe Sapien. I'm in.

Didn't expect pretty much the whole plot and big moments given out like the
villain dying and flash-forward in time to when the character who can understand the sign language is old and is narrating her love affair with the creature.

Kuro

While I get that Fox doesn't have Hellboy rights....cmon this is Del Toro making an Abe movie without them. Him, Doug Jones, the eggs (Abe loves rotten ones) her introducing him to music (Abe's an audiophile), even the room and tank look similar. It's like Del Toro said fuck it, I'm doing it.

Careful you'll piss off that cheeto guy.

BTW, if any of you haven't seen Creature or want to see it again, the 3D Blu Ray is phenomenal. Those old 3D movies have incredible depth and pop-out and now they are restored and lose the Red/Blue filter.

I'll second that. I was blown away by the 3D Blu of Creature. It's one of the best 3D movies I've seen. That early shot of the fossilized hand coming out of the wall is eye poppingly good.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Is this seriously an Abe Sapien story about not Abe Sapien??

Fuck me ... i'll see it. Straight weird though with a legit Hellboy movie coming. Is there no legal issues involved for something like this if it turns out to be not actually BPRD official stuff? I mean... its fuckin obviously Abe...

Keasar

That laboratory REALLY reminds me of the base in Hellboy, especially the corridor that was shown.

There has to be some connection, especially with the creature looking so goddamn like Abe.

BeeDog

Yeah, showing too much but really great trailer. I'm actually glad this doesn't seem to be connected to the Hellboy movies. Shannon and Stuhlbarg are A-tier, Boardwalk Empire goodness.

BasilZero

Am I the only one who thought "Bioshock" when I saw how the setting, characters looked like and the music playing lol?

inky

Am I the only one who thought "Bioshock" when I saw how the setting, characters looked like and the music playing lol?

Considering about a dozen plus other posts mentioned it... yes you are the only one who ever thought so.

Speaking of Bioshock, years ago Ken Levine had an ongoing podcast at Irrational. There is one great episode with GDT and he is clearly a Bioshock fanboy so I don't doubt he took inspiration from it. It's probably still on itunes so you guys should check it out.

near

Gold Member
Just watched the first minute of the trailer and turned it off. It looks as I expected it would, fucking beautiful. I don't know why but there hasn't been a GDT film that I haven't loved and appreciated, I expect more of the same from this.

BasilZero

Considering about a dozen plus other posts mentioned it... yes you are the only one who ever thought so.

Speaking of Bioshock, years ago Ken Levine had an ongoing podcast at Irrational. There is one great episode with GDT and he is clearly a Bioshock fanboy so I don't doubt he took inspiration from it. It's probably still on itunes so you guys should check it out.

lol my bad, didnt see the other posts.

This looks great, and I don't mind that Doug Jones's monster character resembles Abe Sapien. Both characters are clearly modeled after the Gil-Man anyway.

gfxtwin

Weirdest thing about the movie that nobody mentioned for some reason is the possible sexual/romantic vibe between the creature and mute woman? Not sure how to react to that lol. Everything else looks splendid. I doubt it takes place in the Hellboy universe, the eggs/music/creature design is probably an expansion on and homage to creative ideas around The Creature from the Black Lagoon and Abe Sapien. Either way, I'm in.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Weirdest thing about the movie that nobody mentioned for some reason is the possible sexual/romantic vibe between the creature and mute woman?

I'm pretty sure everybody noticed, just that this is a kind of fantasy movie, so people will overlook that.

Orb

This looks good but it makes me ask myself an uncomfortable question

The answer is Probably

Also, I haven't seen any Hellboy movies but this being a Split situation would be really cool

Top Bottom