• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shape of Water - Guillermo del Toro

Slime

Banned
GDT is a huge horror fan. I'm sure this is just his take on the Creature from the Black Lagoon, which incidentally is what Abe Sapien was to Mike Mignola.

Maybe it's a little on the nose to go with Doug Jones, but he's in nearly all of GTD's American films, and you work with the people you like.

Cheebo

Banned
GDT is a huge horror fan. I'm sure this is just his take on the Creature from the Black Lagoon, which incidentally is what Abe Sapien was to Mike Mignola.

Maybe it's a little on the nose to go with Doug Jones, but he's in nearly all of GTD's American films, and you work with the people you like.

Bingo.

It's entirely possible Deltoro and Jones really liked the design of Abe Sapien and wanted to emulate it. There have been tons of mermen that share the same designs Abe has. Abe's design is also not that original.

I don't disagree with anything anyone has said here, but I'm not the defender of some crazy, isolated opinion either.

The story seems mostly confined to a single space. Why did the creature in that space have to look like Abe and be played by Doug? Mermen look like mermen, definitely! Doug Jones is a GDT staple. Agreed. The rights are tied up, they certainly are as far as we know. But this movie was made without anyone knowing much and the trailer bowed stealthily without a web release or anyone knowing it was coming. The trailer goes out of its way to hide a great look at Doug.

Insert Mulder's poster here. And so what? I'm having fun letting my mind make connections. Either way? It's GDT, I'm in, we all win; we get a cool movie.

Haven't seen the trailer yet, since I didn't go to D23, but the concept always intrigued me. Good storytelling or not, del toro's mind is always a fun thing to experience.

I get it. I do. But why did this movie come out of nowhere? Why is it a low-budget Fox Searchlight production? Why does the trailer obfuscate the merman? Why is it Doug Jones? Why are the glimpses we DO get so familiar looking? Why go merman at all? It could literally be any type of creature. Invent one! It's GDT, his mind is a playground.

I want to believe. Because otherwise the implications are underhanded. I'm fully prepared to be wrong here but wouldn't it be cool if I'm not? I dunno. It's a forum. Let's have fun. Stranger things have happened.

It's nice to speculate, but lets be honest even if it were somehow Ape Sapien, it would have to be in name only. It's pretty clear it's a similar looking creature, but technically it's not Abe Sapien.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't disagree with anything anyone has said here, but I'm not the defender of some crazy, isolated opinion either.

The story seems mostly confined to a single space. Why did the creature in that space have to look like Abe and be played by Doug? Mermen look like mermen, definitely! Doug Jones is a GDT staple. Agreed. The rights are tied up, they certainly are as far as we know. But this movie was made without anyone knowing much and the trailer bowed stealthily without a web release or anyone knowing it was coming. The trailer goes out of its way to hide a great look at Doug.

Insert Mulder's poster here. And so what? I'm having fun letting my mind make connections. Either way? It's GDT, I'm in, we all win; we get a cool movie.
I am sorry but it is a pretty crazy theory though. There is literally nothing to back it up and heaps of evidence to why it isn't Hellboy.

Trailers drop for low budget movies all the time.
He hired Doug because Doug is his go to guy for creature movies.
It looks like a merman because that was the inspiration for Abe and GDT has often talked of his love of those type of films.
It hides the look of the merman because that is what creature movies ALWAYS do. They try to hide the look of the creature full on in trailers.

It ain't Hellboy. Fox doesn't own the rights, and the franchise is getting rebooted and GDT has zero involvement.

Cheebo

Banned
It also could be BPRD which wouldn't include Hellboy
Hellboy the character isn't the rights in question. The entire franchise is owned by another studio who is actively using that franchise.

Fox does not own the rights to BPRD. That is owned by another studio who is rebooting that universe with a new film franchise.

near

Gold Member
This isn't a genre film, not even close to a sci-fi it's a drama set in 1963. Hopefully this doesn't become a marketing disaster akin to Crimson Peak were people expected a horror film and were disappointed because they got something else.

This isn't a genre film, not even close to a sci-fi it's a drama set in 1963. Hopefully this doesn't become a marketing disaster akin to Crimson Peak were people expected a horror film and were disappointed because they got something else.
This looks a thousand times more interesting than Crimson Peak. Gothic settings are hard to sell and even harder to make a good movie.

B33

Banned
Not sure. Looks small-scale, quick turnaround.
The Shape of Water was shot from August to November, 2016. Also, factor in the amount of time and energy Del Toro puts into the pre-production phase of his projects.

There's no way Split's success had an influence on this project.

gamz

The Shape of Water was shot from August to November, 2016. Also, factor in the amount of time and energy Del Toro puts into the pre-production phase of his projects.

Not to mention it had to be written first.

Cheebo

Banned

At this point every single point the OP was clinging on to has been washed away. Wrap it up folks.

to be fair the Hellboy movies are probably the only legit good ones Del Toro has made in English so if this was related
it isn't
then its chances of being good go way up

Anung

Un Rama
to be fair the Hellboy movies are probably the only legit good ones Del Toro has made in English so if this was related
it isn't
then its chances of being good go way up

Blade 2 and Pacific Rim are good movies tho. Maybe not as good as stuff like Cronos and The Devil's Backbone but still good.

B33

Banned
There's speculation that the teaser trailer for The Shape of Water will be shown during The Strain tonight. I'd imagine it'll be uploaded online soon if this is the case.

Blade 2 and Pacific Rim are good movies tho. Maybe not as good as stuff like Cronos and The Devil's Backbone but still good.

I like Pacific Rim more or less still but tbh I have no desire whatsoever to go back to it. Like, it's not a bad movie, but it's just OK.

zewone

Yea the art direction def looks very similiar. In a good way.

The fonts used in the text throughout the trailer looked similar to the Bioshock font, underwater facility, 40s/50s aesthetic.

DviZowMm.jpg

SlSbqBm.png

Trailer gave me way more Bioshock vibes than Hellboy vibes

It's also R and I saw bits of really messed up violence in there so I'm guessing our water homie ain't nice

I saw this trailer in front of Apes. It's not a fucking hellboy movie. It's Creature from the Black Lagoon as a love story. Sort of Beauty and the Beast-esque.

I saw this trailer in front of Apes. It's not a fucking hellboy movie. It's Creature from the Black Lagoon as a love story. Sort of Beauty and the Beast-esque.
That's what I got as well. I'm guessing that he's abused and gets revenge against all that wronged him.

p2535748

Okay, so it's not a Hellboy movie, but that egg thing is clearly a callback to Abe Sapien, right? Seems oddly specific.

Top Bottom