• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U update points to Miiverse's closure. What's your top in-game implementation?

As we're mostly aware now, Nintendo issued a Wii U system update today, the first in a year and a half. And as discovered by a dataminer, Nintendo has included the following text as part of the update, presumably to be made visible to users in the future:

Your Wii U at some point in the future said:
"The Miiverse service has ended.
Miiverse and any software features
that make use of Miiverse are now
unavailable."

And thus Miiverse faces its impending doom at some point in the near future. And some functionality - trivial or not - in many Wii U games will cease to function.

So this thread is really about two things: Recalling and recommending our favourite implementations of Miiverse in Wii U software, before it's no longer operational.

Here's mine, but it's spoiler filled:

Affordable Space Adventures
You reach the
end of a perilous journey into space with Small Craft, a dodgy spaceship loaned to you by UExplore, the company that promised affordable space travel. Upon reaching means of emergency contact, you're prompted to write out and send a rescue message. A small message window pops up to draw over. It's your chance to yell for help!

As the credits begin to roll, help is on its way! But what you end up discovering after the last name clears the screen is that, meanwhile at the UExplore offices, your message for help fell on deaf ears. The lights are out, and there's no one in. Instead you watch a wave of drawn rescue pleas - all from other space travellers playing the game - emerge from a printer in the empty room. Oh dear.

I thought that was a potent way to end such a unique and novel game, and I urge anyone who hasn't played Affordable Space Adventures yet to give it a shot. It's a great experience above and beyond this use of Miiverse, and that it's stuck with me over two years after its release speaks volumes.

What are your favourite implementations?

Robin64

It's going to be a shame when some cute touches in games stop working.

Wind Waker HD, for example, has message in bottles that wash up on beaches. They're actually messages from other players, and can have photos attached that you haven't yet taken yourself, or even rare ones you missed, for turning into figures.

maxcriden

Love this idea for a topic. Great example in the OP also, I hadn't gotten that far in the game. That's really clever!

Edit: just for fun....

BoQzLqdCYAAtmkJ.jpg:large

original.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxcriden

It's going to be a shame when some cute touches in games stop working.

Wind Waker HD, for example, has message in bottles that wash up on beaches. They're actually messages from other players, and can have photos attached that you haven't yet taken yourself, or even rare ones you missed, for turning into figures.

There's also a way to grab photos off Miiverse if you know the one you're missing, right? Or is it all luck? Haven't played it so I'm not sure.

Phoenixus

I guess that means 3DS will also get a firmware update at some point with the same message hidden? I'll miss Miiverse but Nintendo might as well take the icon off the OSes if they're going to end, like TVii in Europe (that never even started :p)

Chao

Splatoon

Really glad they found a way to keep it alive for 2
Yep, the drawings you made becoming graffiti in the stages and the hub world was super cool and fitted incredibly well due to the urban nature of Splatoon's world

JThird

Splatoon was the best example for me. Especially firework-miiposts during Splatfests.
Super Mario Maker souls-esque system was neat too.

Splatoon's implementation was probably my faovurite, it added a lot of character to the hub. It was fun on the Smash stage where stuff would appear in the background too. Just a really fantastic feature all around, sad to see it go.

Raife

The bottles in Wind Waker HD were my favorite. Is there any news of this sort of implementation for a Miiverse on the Switch? Nintendo seemed to get so much right with it. It's a pity that it is just ending.

Robin64

The bottles in Wind Waker HD were my favorite. Is there any news of this sort of implementation for a Miiverse on the Switch? Nintendo seemed to get so much right with it. It's a pity that it is just ending.

Splatoon 2 just went and baked in its own Miiverse-esque replacement for ingame graffiti from other players.

GokouD

Affordable Space Adventures probably had the cleverest use, but I think Splatoon was really defined by it, especially during Splatfests. Mario Maker was great too, I liked seeing all the angry drawings around hard parts in my levels.
Probably my fondest memory is just from NSMBU when I first had the console. I was stuck looking for a secret exit on the first world so I put a post up asking for non-spoilery help for where to look. Within minutes I had several helpful replies and found the exit. It reminds me of that new-console excitement and how much promise the whole system had to begin with.
Ugh, now I've made myself sad :( Really going to miss Miiverse...

Shiggy

At least on 3DS this isn't a big loss. Cannot recall any good implementation there. HAL Lab's games had a "share screenshot" function. That's all I remember.

Splatoon 2 just went and baked in its own Miiverse-esque replacement for ingame graffiti from other players.

Until the app starts working on newer phones in 5 years.
Edit: Oops, doodling/drawing in SplatNet2 has not been announced yet.

WhatNXt

Splatoon Inkopolis Plaza
Zombi U leaderboards and graffiti symbols / warnings

It was fantastic for Art Academy. Users constantly wowed me with their skill at times.

In terms of third party, I think one of the best and most under-rated games for this was Deus Ex Human Revolution. It was a shame it didn't have a bigger more engaged community, because the developers put in some nice effort.

Edit: Forgot about Wind Waker! The same message in a bottle mechanism (might have had to have been a balloon system or treasure system or something) would have been great in Breath of the Wild.

Robin64

Probably my fondest memory is just from NSMBU when I first had the console. I was stuck looking for a secret exit on the first world so I put a post up asking for non-spoilery help for where to look. Within minutes I had several helpful replies and found the exit. It reminds me of that new-console excitement and how much promise the whole system had to begin with.

This is what Nintendo are missing now. They seem to think it's better to get us posting to other social networks, like Twitter or Facebook, but that's simply not the case. Most people I am friends with on Facebook won't give two craps about my gaming posts, but a plee for help on a network dedicated to the console gets loads of views and replies.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I just liked taking pictures and storing them even if getting there was slow.
This is what Nintendo are missing now. They seem to think it's better to get us posting to other social networks, like Twitter or Facebook, but that's simply not the case. Most people I am friends with on Facebook won't give two craps about my gaming posts, but a plee for help on a network dedicated to the console gets loads of views and replies.
"Most" is key. Not only does it kill whatever overhead Miiverse needed, but if just 1 friend sees you gaming posts and goes buys a Switch, it's all worth it rather than keeping it bottled to a community of Nintendo-purchasers already.

D.Lo

I liked the idea of Miiverse, but the Wii U's slowness kept me from using it as much as I would have liked.
Wind Waker and Splatoon were the only ones I used much.

Yeah but now they get exposure. They have essentially forced us to advertise for them if you want to share a screenshot with anyone. Which is a pretty good business move really.

Jintor

the magic of knowing your audience i think.

i won't deny that twitter could have some good reach tho.

Richie

Splatoon and Wind Waker HD were two of my favorites, really made both games feel alive with a sense of community, gave them that something extra...

...But my favorite was definitely the Miiverse stage in Smash Brothers. You have no idea how many drinking games were had at the expense of all the inadequate and bizarre crap people would post nonstop. I'm seriously lamenting its inevitable loss come Smash Switch, what hilarity demented Miiverse posters brought.

I can see how, as mentioned above, Ninty prefers its content to spread across mainstream social channels, instead of having it all reside within the secluded bubble that was Miiverse, but darned if I ain't missing a feature were the most obscure of VC titles could have its own forum with like-minded gamers. A concept I'm hoping Nintendo revisits down the line (hell, I half expected an updated Miiverse to be exclusive to their paid online program).

Literally everything about Miiverse was great. The biggest downer about Switch is the lack of a new Nintendo-esque online mode. After Miiverse, Street Pass, Spot Pass, and all the great implementation around those features, I truly miss having a new outside-the-box community hub. Maybe something will come eventually?

Yeah, it's a shame they stopped wanting to host their own community. I get wanting to support Twitter or Facebook since it's basically free marketing at the same time (think about how effective the #PS4Share hashtag is) but it's not the same as posting to a captive audience that also wants to seek out info, drawings and help on the same game.

Affordable Space Adventures probably had the cleverest use, but I think Splatoon was really defined by it, especially during Splatfests. Mario Maker was great too, I liked seeing all the angry drawings around hard parts in my levels.
Ugh, now I've made myself sad :( Really going to miss Miiverse...

Agreed! Splatoon being defined by Miiverse is exactly how to put it - I miss those giddy days after it launched where we'd all be walking around the plaza looking for new posts daily. It really peaked during Splatfests too. Miiverse as an "empathy network" (to quote Mr. Iwata) was well realised here.

In terms of third party, I think one of the best and most under-rated games for this was Deus Ex Human Revolution. It was a shame it didn't have a bigger more engaged community, because the developers put in some nice effort.

Had no idea this supported Miiverse!

-shadow-

After learning that the moderators/admins would delete posts and give players warning over illegal activities (hacking), I never bothered with posting in this game. I get that you want to prevent that kind of discussion, but in a game that has it as one of its main mechanics? Really?

Here's mine, but it's spoiler filled:

Affordable Space Adventures
You reach the
end of a perilous journey into space with Small Craft, a dodgy spaceship loaned to you by UExplore, the company that promised affordable space travel. Upon reaching means of emergency contact, you're prompted to write out and send a rescue message. A small message window pops up to draw over. It's your chance to yell for help!

As the credits begin to roll, help is on its way! But what you end up discovering after the last name clears the screen is that, meanwhile at the UExplore offices, your message for help fell on deaf ears. The lights are out, and there's no one in. Instead you watch a wave of drawn rescue pleas - all from other space travellers playing the game - emerge from a printer in the empty room. Oh dear.

I thought that was a potent way to end such a unique and novel game, and I urge anyone who hasn't played Affordable Space Adventures yet to give it a shot. It's a great experience above and beyond this use of Miiverse, and that it's stuck with me over two years after its release speaks volumes.

What are your favourite implementations?

That's pretty damn awesome.

Nooo my Platinum My Nintendo coins!

People complain at EA shutting down services of old games, but this is just as bad.

Nowhere near as this is nothing you've had to pay for.

Literally everything about Miiverse was great. The biggest downer about Switch is the lack of a new Nintendo-esque online mode. After Miiverse, Street Pass, Spot Pass, and all the great implementation around those features, I truly miss having a new outside-the-box community hub. Maybe something will come eventually?

The only way it will is as an update to the mobile app.
I think Nintendo's vision for the future in this regard has been clear, unfortunately.

FyreWulff

It's probably put in there now just so it's ready whenever they have to shut it off and not have someone come back and patch it then.

Miiverse does need to have active moderation to work, so it's not really a feature you can just have sitting on a server and let it run like game matchmaking/server list.

They really should give a years notice like with the closing of online shops.

I mean Mario Maker's comments on levels are tied to it and there are a bunch of games that use uniquely it on Wii U and 3DS.

Miiverse Sketch in Game & Wario was amazing!

1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
2512317-zlcfzrcsdlo-rnp4nv.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Giant Bomb visited it a few times:
2504462-8562664311-ipjJd.png
maxresdefault.jpg

Also the Miiverse stage in Smash Wii U is also great.

maxresdefault.jpg

They need to save a 1000 of the best images and just store as them part of the stage in future releases.

1300312103499626127.png

marmoka

Banned
Miiverse was great! Awesome to share your enjoyment on certain games with other platera. And you could find many hilarious posts and conversations.

Never forget "why can't Metroid crawl", the romance story, and that time when a Mario & Luigi game had a glitch and made it possible to upload weird pictures.

Too bad Nintendo doesn't want to know anything about it no more. It was very ahead for its time.

Wind Waker HD is about to get a lot more challenging to 100% complete

Only game I can think of where Miiverse actually had gameplay functionality. It was a nice QoL improvement over the GCN version

It'll also make Tingle useless

Mephala

A like a lot of its features including the bottle in WW and just the community in general. Some great artworks in there too.

Smash Miiverse stage show case takes the crown for me though. So many times we paused to read strange messages and have a great laugh at drawings and such.
hqdefault.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I got Affordable Space Adventures from that Humble Bundle a while back. Time to clear the fridge and give it a whirl then.

maxcriden

So if they do discontinue the service, is there any reason to think it won't be left online and just not able to be posted to anymore? That way they could still allow functionality in WWHD for example. If not, is there another way they could allow functionality in WWHD?

And how about something like Pushmo World, does that require Miiverse for sharing or just...I think that one is just QR codes...

(I read up on how Tingle Bottles worked in WWHD since I wasn't sure: http://www.zeldainformer.com/tingle-bottles-are-pretty-much-the-best-thing-ever/. I was previously under the impression there was some functionality where you could request a specific photo you were missing but I guess not, since even if you posted your request to Miiverse you couldn't download the reply photo to your Pictobox.)

Top Bottom