• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Happy Few Will Cost $50.99 with the final release on August 16

Kolx

Since we launched our Kickstarter and released the game on Early Access, We Happy Few has been priced at US$29.99. We have never put it on sale because we believe it isn't fair for someone to get the game at a lower price than a Kickstarter backer or an Early Access backer while the game is still in development. Since 2015, we have made clear that the price would increase as we approach the final release, and that time has - finally - come. On August 16, the price for the game will become US$50.99.

We will explain everything in more detail on the 16th. As you can imagine, there is more to the story, and we are looking forward to sharing all the juicy details with you. We always do our best to be transparent with you guys, so we felt it was important to provide this pricing information with ample time for you to make a decision. And, just to be clear, if you are a Kickstarter backer or Early Access player, this change does not affect you.

http://compulsiongames.com/en/news/135/weekly-journal-august-update-date-and-price-heads-up

Edit: August 16 is when the final update for early access releases not the final release. If a mod can fix the title I'd appreciate it.

Interested to know what's happened with this game as EA progressed. I was in the group of people who adored the aesthetic, but didn't get on with the gameplay once you were out in the world and doing the survival stuff.

Bought it months ago and have played it for about four hours, be interested to see what the finished game is like and what kind of story it has.

Avallon

They should probably explain the whole "more to this story" thing before the price goes up, not after.

I was just wondering what happened to this game.

Looked so good at E3... then they hit early access and it was just a survival game.

BHK3

Banned
I remember literally everybody was disappointed when it turned into a survival game instead of a cool story driven game like normal..

daveo42

Banned
Hopefully it has way more than what was shown last year. The opening was amazing and then it slipped quickly into mediocrity with the rest of the game mechanics.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Screwed around with the trial when first arrived in EA, wasn't much there. Has it improved? Game look and tone have me some serious Clockwork Orange vibes, hope gameplay matches.

Gator86

Fuck, I was so disappointed from seeing the early press for this and playing it/seeing what it actually was. Fuck

Will there be reviews before launch/price increase?
I can buy it now for 28€ and then the final version will be available the 16th right?
Since it will be early access for 6 days, are there exhaustive/good articles or previews about the game?

EDIT: Ah, final release is not set for the 16th then? Title baited me.

I get the feeling this game dramatically increased in scope during development so I'm not surprised at the price increase. Originally I don't think there was any intention to include a campaign it was just a survival game, but they decided to add one because that's what people wanted.

I believe it has a permadeath option
I haven't followed the game past the initial Kickstarter/early access announcement, but I thought it was a run-based survival game with random elements

I remember the big Xbox E3 presser trailer getting everyone hyped and then disappointment when they saw what it was

blakep267

While it's a survival game I thought they said the actual game would have missions that are more standard story stuff and you survived until you get to each story beat

Jockel

I sure hope they got their act together since the early access version. Like many, I was really interested after the trailer. Not so much, after the first gameplay videos showed up.

Been playing it in early access since day one. It's been awesome seeing the updates and how the game has evolved. Looking forward to the full story.

Fury451

Banned
While it's a survival game I thought they said the actual game would have missions that are more standard story stuff and you survived until you get to each story beat

That's basically what The Long Dark is and has promised since it was in EA. There's no reason that can't work because the final product of that so far has been wonderful.

But I kinda expected this to be something else

So the actual final release will be $60.99.

Yeah I can see the devs never getting a sale from me.
Even if it's a great game?

It's like the NMS and Witness price threads all over again.

What is the price limit for an indie game? $40 like Shadow Tactics, Torment, and Talos Principle?

FelipeMGM

Will the campaign be ready by August 16?

Maybe thats the reason

The game looks so cool, and has very interesting systems within it. I wish they turned this to a story heavy immersive sim

prudislav

Misleading thread title, August 16 is not the release date...
yep its last EA Update before v1.0 and story mode launch

I was just wondering what happened to this game.
the usual hype cirklejerk and misinformasion

Looked so good at E3... then they hit early access and it was just a survival game.
What they showed at E3 was prologue to narrative story mode which is planned to launch in v1.0 ... whats currently in EAis the survival mode which go quite a lot improvements over time

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
That's basically what The Long Dark is and has promised since it was in EA. There's no reason that can't work because the final product of that so far has been wonderful.

But I kinda expected this to be something else
The Survival mode in The Long Dark was great from the moment I played it in EA. We Happy Few not so much.
The Long Dark is one of the best purchases I have made this gen, and I have barly touched the story mode.

Top Bottom