• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where you're on a moving elevator with enemies continuously dropping onto it

You've probably see this somewhere, most likely in a beat-em-up like Streets of Rage or Final Fight, but I know I've seen it elsewhere.

There was one in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (character/stylish action game) with those robo-gorillas dive-attacking from out of view

Another in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (platformer/action adventure), iirc, where an entire room was the elevator

Sin & Punishment (shmup/rail-shooter) had one of those diagonally moving platforms, and the camera was positioned from behind the elevator as enemies snaked around

What others are there?

Ya1fwas.png

Chrono Trigger

I hate this trope.

Pretty sure it's in God of War, I think you have to operate the elevator while fighting off dudes.

For sure in Half-Life, descending on a huge elevator in one of the earlier chapters but for me the headcrabs always flew off.

Edit: In Half-Life, it's on a funicular.

Hazmat

I think this happens in Metal Gear Solid. On the elevator ride down after the Blast Furnace you get ambushed by a few waves of guards.

Tigress

Dead Nation. At one point you talk an open elevator up and dead keep crawling out of the skyscraper to attack you.

Halo 2 had several IIRC. Usually the elevator would be fairly large and even feature some cover, and flood would drop in on you.

I think this happens in Metal Gear Solid. On the elevator ride down after the Blast Furnace you get ambushed by a few waves of guards.

There's one part where some invisible guards ambush you in an elevator.

This happens in Silent Hill: Downpour towards the end. In a game I generally like a lot, it was one of the worst segments. And pretty much the only time when use of a firearm is actively encouraged and needed.

Nicky Ali

The Act 1 miniboss of the level Titanic Monarch in Sonic Mania takes places in a moving elevator. That kinda counts, I guess...?

BouncyFrag

I hate this trope.

Pretty sure it's in God of War, I think you have to operate the elevator while fighting off dudes.
This is it from GoW2 and is terrible what with having to turn a crank to get the bottom before the spikes from the ceiling coming down kill you whilst fighting off skeletons.
hqdefault.jpg

Hazmat

There's one part where some invisible guards ambush you in an elevator.

And there's another part of the game where multiple waves of guards ambush you on another elevator.

I suppose it's maybe more of a funicular, but if that breaks it for the OP then he has a weird specific thing that probably needs psychiatric evaluation.

Pepboy

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 actually has one stage about 1/3 or so that has this feature. It's kind of a tough stage for me as the enemies keep pouring in and I'm underleveled. It might have more stages later with the same mechanic, or maybe DQH2 has more, I'm not sure.

JulianImp

Alien Swarm had one in it's first level, and I think Assault Android Cactus had a level like that as well (only the arena would be getting larger and larger as you went down (I played it during early access when levels were just whitebox versions, so it might have ended up not being an actual elevator, though).

Top Bottom