• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Legacy has one of the best character developments I've ever seen. (Chloe)

AdaWong

WARNING: For my post, I will mark the spoilers. But I am NOT responsible for unmarked spoilers in the replies

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Chloe Frazer, man. Fuck.

tumblr_m911zhXT3H1qbq6zko1_500.gif

If you played Uncharted 2, you probably remember one of the most iconic things from that game. Chloe Frazer.

Chloe is very reminiscent of Drake in terms of humor, sarcasm, improvisation and adventure.
tumblr_m7k7d4iyYC1qf2a3fo2_r1_250.gif
tumblr_m7k7d4iyYC1qf2a3fo7_r3_250.gif
tumblr_m7k7d4iyYC1qf2a3fo9_r1_250.gif

However, she does not necessarily share the same views as Nate. she's the Selina Kyle to Bruce Wayne; the Catwoman to Batman - She's morally grey. She's not on good's side, but not on evil's side. She's on her side. If it benefits her, she'll do it. She's quick to turn on you as well if it means to better her chances in whatever situation. She cares for others, but not much.
tumblr_m7k7d4iyYC1qf2a3fo10_r1_250.gif

Chloe is also a woman of mystery; she's not comfortable sharing her past. She's not comfortable with being comfortable. Vulnerability is something she stays away from as much as possible. The moment she shows any sign of it, she will quickly remind herself to become the stone-cold woman that she is. She is shameless and she will fuck you over then show up asking for help a day later.
tumblr_mr5uf1J7ZG1qe9lpso1_250.gif

In the end of Uncharted 2, Nate and Elena were being their "lets save the day!!!!" selves and putting their lives (Chloe included) in danger. She tells them time and time to just escape and leave it all behind them, but Elena was not about to live with the guilt of possibly leaving innocent people dying when she could have done something about it.

tumblr_m54l5kIdUO1rp1t8x.gif

Chloe Frazer: "We should get out while we still can."
Nathan Drake: "I'm just trying to set things right."
Elena Fisher: "...and maybe save the world?"
Chloe Frazer: "Oh God... Listen, sunshine - the world doesn't care. You stick your neck out, you are asking to lose your head."

Fast forward several years later....

tumblr_ouwps1f2Y81s9ns1wo1_r1_500.gif

Chloe finds herself facing and confronting her past in The Lost Legacy. She is no longer running away from it, but rather, doing what could possibly be one of the most difficult things a human can do: confront what you always ran away from.

Chloe explores her Indian heritage, more specifically, what her father was about before he passed away and left her with nothing but questions and confusion... and a random small artifact.

tumblr_oo9j6rgizh1rmfzd9o2_540.gif

Through her journey, she learns to face her past, even if it means finding answers she doesn't want to hear. And that's exactly what happened to her.

The cold-sarcastic sheds blood, sweat and tears to uncover the truth behind her father's expeditions.

She slowly opens up to her partner, Nadine Ross, about her past as they lead up to the truth. And when her answers are found, she's finally, for the first time ever, vulnerable.

The scene where she finds out the purpose of the artifact her dad gave her is truly phenomenal, form the facial expressions to the music to the outstanding performance of voice acting. A masterpiece of a scene.

At the end of the Lost Legacy, Nadine Ross and Sam Drake find out that cities in India are getting blown up - but that had no conflict with Chloe and co's mission; in fact, they already got what they came for and Nadine and Sam insisted on trying to convince Chloe to not lose her mind and try to "save the world" - sounds familiar.

Nadine Ross: "You'll die."
Chloe Frazer: "I can live with that."
giphy.gif

The woman that once would not bat an eye on the idea of saving someone else if it means that it would slightly affect her odds of making it out alive is now willing to sacrifice her entire life to do something she is not obligated to do at all - saving the world.

When you finish the game, you will see that she is still the sassy, sexy and sarcastic Chloe we know and love. She'd still rather fuck you up than talk to you about how she grew up but she's not so uptight about sharing and caring and showing vulnerability anymore. And she's still not entirely 100% morally clear (as evident by lying to Nadine, thinking of selling her out, etc), but in extreme situations, like if it involves the death of innocent people, she is a changed woman - a grown woman.

And that's character development done right; when the personality of a character is altered (but not completely thrown away) to match the current persona, to show some kind of development.

Bad character development is when writers completely disregard the characteristics of the character and just basically write a new one with the same name/looks. It's called character development, not character rebirth. Example of bad character development: What Capcom does to their characters, mainly, Claire Redfield.

I could also write another essay about the co-star, Nadine Ross - whose character development is just as fascinating in this game. Terrific writing.

Honestly, please fucking get The Lost Legacy and play it. I promise you that you won't regret it.

Falchion

I've got this thread bookmarked for when I beat Lost Legacy. I do love her character in 2 and 3 so I'm hoping they haven't moved too far away from those roots but I'm very excited to see her really be fleshed out.

DigSCCP

I've got this thread bookmarked for when I beat Lost Legacy. I do love her character in 2 and 3 so I'm hoping they haven't moved too far away from those roots but I'm very excited to see her really be fleshed out.

This.
See you soon OP.

GavinUK86

I'd say the same for Nadine from UC4 to Lost Legacy. I didn't really feel anything towards her before now. By the end of Lost Legacy I loved her character and her banter with Chloe.

Going out on a limb here but I think it's my favourite Uncharted game.

zsynqx

She was fun in UC2, but I didn't feel there was much to dig into with her character. Will be starting Lost Legacy in a few hours though, so can't wait to see how they develop her there.

Yea I am not sure I agree, there's nothing particularly mindblowing about her character arc in either Lost Legacy or across the entire franchise. imo.

LiK

I think they did a really great jpb going into her character, backstory and who she really is. She's not just a sexy femme fatale anymore. Altho maybe some people might not like the change.

IvorB

I had a huge crush on her after Uncharted 2 due to her sexy, breezy, sassy and morally ambiguous attitude. Unfortunately this nuChloe does not look like the old one. I have to say I really hate what they've done to her face but it doesn't really matter to me anymore so it's whatever I guess.

zsynqx

She's not just a sexy femme fatale anymore. Altho maybe some people might not like the change.
I had a huge crush on her after Uncharted 2 due to her sexy, breezy, sassy and morally ambiguous attitude. Unfortunately this nuChloe does not look like the old one. I have to say I really hate what they've done to her face but it doesn't really matter to me anymore so it's whatever I guess.

Love these two posts in a row :p

AdaWong

You're overselling it.

Not even slightly enough.

Yea I am not sure I agree, there's nothing particularly mindblowing about her character arc in either Lost Legacy or across the entire franchise. imo.

I highly disagree. There are tons of clever ways the writers implemented similar situations form UC2/UC3 to TLL and you see how Chloe treats and reacts based on how much growth she did WITHOUT completely throwing out her old persona out of the window. It's honestly genius.

That's what I'm saying though: She's still sassy, sexy and breazy. And she's still not 100% morally right. She's just more mature and more grown; that's good character development, when the old character's characteristics still existent, just slightly altered to match the current persona the character has. It's very realistic.

She still looks the same in a lot of the shots, though?

UC2:

TLL:

Amazing character!
jFKwwAq.jpg

Easily one of the best videogame characters ever. Hell she's better than most female movie characters too. Here's my 3 favourite female videogame characters:

Chloe Frazer - Uncharted.
5mC7RuWl.jpg

Ada Wong - Resident Evil.
bpnafEql.jpg

Xiuying Hong - Shenmue II.
xtxJZCxl.jpg

AdaWong

If she doesn't kill Nadine, there is no good enough character development.

I think you should play the game. ;)

Amazing character!
jFKwwAq.jpg

Easily one of the best videogame characters ever. Hell she's better than most female movie characters too. Here's my 3 favourite female videogame characters:

The GOAT(s)! <3 I approve of your taste! :)

IvorB

Love these two posts in a row :p

I liked sexy femme fatale!

That's what I'm saying though: She's still sassy, sexy and breazy. And she's still not 100% morally right. She's just more mature and more grown; that's good character development, when the old character's characteristics still existent, just slightly altered to match the current persona the character has. It's very realistic.

She still looks the same in a lot of the shots, though?

UC2:

TLL:

No, she really doesn't look the same. They softened her features A LOT (especially cheekbones) and gave her a much more maternal look. Her eyes don't stand out nearly as much and her lips don't have the auto-pout they used to.

Regarding character, I don't know since I have no plans to play Lost Legacy.

AdaWong

I liked sexy femme fatale!

No, she really doesn't look the same. They softened her features A LOT (especially cheekbones) and gave her a much more maternal look. Her eyes don't stand out nearly as much and her lips don't have the auto-pout they used to.

Regarding character, I don't know since I have no plans to play Lost Legacy.

You can't complain that they drifted away from her character in this game without, you know, actually playing the game. &#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300; lmao. You kinda lost all credibility to your argument, sir/ma'am.

IvorB

You can't complain that they drifted away from her character in this game without, you know, actually playing the game. &#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300; lmao. You kinda lost all credibility to your argument, sir/ma'am.

I never said anything like that. I was only talking about the way she looks. I only mentioned her character in reference to what I liked about her in Uncharted 2.

Great write up OP. I always liked Chloe, but never loved her and this game made me love her.
The elephant scene and the scene in which she discovers her father's secret
are 2 of the best scenes in the Uncharted series.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Sub'd. Will be a fun thread to read after I finish LL.

Eh the story is easily the worst part about The Lost Legacy. It's a really good game overall, but the narrative is the reason why it's not great.

It's better and more cohesive than Uncharted 1 or 3 though, I'll give it that.

Fury451

Banned
Won't read it all, but I read the first half. Sounds cool, but fairly standard for the
"confront my past and grow as a person"
path of development; not sure I'd be ready to call it one of the best ever based on that, but I'll wait till I finish to determine for sure.

I'm more interested in how they develop and/or salvage Nadine, because I loathed her character in 4 and right now this seems like a Bioshock Infinite DLC situation with
Daisy Fitzroy
where they go "let's make this character less of a total unlikable shithead" via retcon kinda thing.

Again, I'm mostly going in blind so that's just an impression.

silva1991

I just like playing UC2 just to see Chloe again. I already miss her :(

Amazing character!
jFKwwAq.jpg

5mC7RuWl.jpg

bpnafEql.jpg

Xiuying Hong - Shenmue II.
xtxJZCxl.jpg

I need a spin off where Chloe and Ada team up.

The supernatural stuff should be the zombies.

N7.Angel

You're overselling it.

Yeah definitely.

I think Chloe was really funny and I really like her at the beginning of the game but I'm not interested about her daddy/daughter struggling relationship, it's pretty common in medias, especially the: "But he did it for you"... thing and it's not interesting.

I prefer the Uncharted 2 version of Chloe but I can understand why some people will love her new self.

AdaWong

Won't read it all, but I read the first half. Sounds cool, but fairly standard for the
"confront my past and grow as a person"
path of development; not sure I'd be ready to call it one of the best ever based on that, but I'll wait till I finish to determine for sure.

I'm more interested in how they develop and/or salvage Nadine, because I loathed her character in 4 and right now this seems like a Bioshock Infinite DLC situation with
Daisy Fitzroy
where they go "let's make this character less of a total unlikable shithead" via retcon kinda thing.

Again, I'm mostly going in blind so that's just an impression.

I honestly think Nadine's development is even more impressive. Let me know your thoughts when yoh finish the game!

AdaWong

Yeah definitely.

I think Chloe was really funny and I really like her at the beginning of the game but I'm not interested about her daddy/daughter struggling relationship, it's pretty common in medias, especially the: "But he did it for you"... thing and it's not interesting.

I prefer the Uncharted 2 version of Chloe but I can understand why some people will love her new self.

Quick and honest question, did you play the game?

AdaWong

Nothing. I was just asking. :)

I just like playing UC2 just to see Chloe again. I already miss her :(
I need a spin off where Chloe and Ada team up.
The supernatural stuff should be the zombies.

Omg. Imagine...

But yeah, I really hope ND continues this franchise as Chloe being the lead.

Great write up OP. I always liked Chloe, but never loved her and this game made me love her.
The elephant scene and the scene in which she discovers her father's secret
are 2 of the best scenes in the Uncharted series.

Oh man, tell me about it. Some of the scenes in this game are so well done. Props to NaughtyDog. Felt reminiscent of the nostalgic feel you get when you play The Last of Us!

Top Bottom