• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolver |OT| Kick! Punch! It's All In The Mind!

xPsox7R.png

1BpNosA.png

YU8tHvo.gif
BjtFMSk.gif

6tHrGMQ.gif
o4R69w4.gif

D47cdKK.png

eMtwpCW.png

uMAOivE.png

PO3sfRY.png

ICtjjiY.png

Last edited:
Great OT! Really looking forward to this game. Wasn't sure if I wanted to preorder on PC or PS4, but I think I'm going to go ahead and get it on Steam.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Love this game's artstyle. Very unique and clean, with a really great since of "world."

But all the trailers and gameplay have felt very... stiff? Rough? Not sure. When do the reviews hit?

Spy

This was a day one for me until I read it runs at 30fps on the PS4. It's a shame because I was looking forward to it so much too.

Kyne

Was really interested in this until I sat through about 3 hours of gameplay and realised it was a harder-to-play For Honor.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So could someone explain to me what this game is?

Is it like Kung fu dark souls?

It's much more pvp focused. You can finish the campaign in like 3 - 5 hours, then it's all pvp from there on out.

But yea gameplay is sorta soulsy, and sorta For Honory.

GHG

I want this so bad, but I'm afraid the player count will be too low to enjoy it.
I'll keep an eye out for this.

If everyone thinks this way then the player count will definitely end up being too low ;)

I'll be getting this on Steam, looks like it will be great fun from what I've seen.

I was in the beta and the combat seems really deep but it was a bit over my head and I didn't put enough time into it to really get a firm grasp of it. I'll keep my eye on it and see how long of a life it will have.

Stiler

It's actually a bit like Journey. You go throughout the world and the game will randomly place people into yours and vice versa, you can choose to either help/group up with them or fight them and so on.

Even has Austin Wintory doing the music for it, so a big plus there too.

The main complaint that I've read about was how quiet the world is, a lack of ambient noises and soundscapes (not the music).

Vintage

Is this worth for single player only? Or do I have to spend many hours in pvp to get good to get to the main part of the game?

Is this worth for single player only? Or do I have to spend many hours in pvp to get good to get to the main part of the game?

Campaign is doable mostly if not, you can grind the npc enemies. It wont last super long and I'm more interested in seeing end game and pvp stuff once more people play.

Stiler

IIRC you can play the game offline, pvp is not a must or anything. You'll just be fighting npc's instead of people and such.

Best OT I've seen so far, great work. Game was super fun in beta so I have no doubt it'll be amazing in it's full release, I'll be playing it the first minute it comes out and won't stop till I drop lol. Still not sure if I'll start with Forsaken or Kahlt though, too bad you can't choose the stance of your style.

Woohoo! Beta was fun, especially teaming up and wrecking other teams. I could see playing it for a while to master the depth of the combat.

B00TE

Nice OT, hyped for this. Will be playing in co-op with my brother. Bit sad to see/hear the pve side seems as short as it does, though I get the focus is on PvP. Combat system is just so cool, so I'm hoping that keeps me around.

NeoRaider

I have a feeling that this will bomb.
It looked interesting to me when they announced it, but rn. i am not sure if it's for me.

There is no hype at all tho.

Mephala

Anyone know what types of weapons are in? All I see are knives and swords, some machete types. Hammers? Flails? Spears? Staff? Bow?

Belker

I'm wondering how split level combat feels and it's irking me that so many people seem to walk about with their back turned.

I'm tempted to buy the PS4 version, but with this sort of niche title - that's dependent on MP - I wonder if that's a good idea.

I thought about posting this to Reddit's martial arts forum, but I reasoned sets the devs' job, not mine.

Razzorn34

How feasible is to make a fist-only boxer deck? I want to go full Ippo with my Absolver.

It's definitely feasible. Kahlt base style very power oriented. There are a lot of boxing type moves in their set. Find other guys with that style and assimilate the moves you want. I had a move set in beta that is exactly what you are looking for.

The game looks fun and has an amazing art style but I feel as if they spent hardly any effort generating excitement for this game. It seems like end game will be PvP and that won't be as fun with a small playerbase.

If I'm not mistaken the dev team are also mods on the subreddit. I definitely think this should not be a best practice since it limited hype whenever someone would post leaks. I don't blame them for thinking ahead and locking down their subreddit but I do not think video game subreddits should be ran by corporations and pr teams.

Heads up; if you see Acebaldwin on PS4 and you have the idea of challenging him, better run!

Or add me and let's have some fun sparring in Adal. I'll be there a midnight EST tonight, can't wait.

dinoroar

Banned
I'm so down for this, pre ordered this morning and ganna stay up to play it. Anyone playing in the U.K. (Or anywhere!) and wanna play, add beautifuldedgirl (terrible name, was an in joke I can never take back)

Nameless

Great OT. I share some of the player base concerns I've been looking forward to Absolver since the reveal trailer so I went ahead and bought it. Already have some ideas for styles, can't wait to dive in.

On the fence a out pre-ordering this on PSN for that slight discount. Wish there were some reviews so I had a better idea of what I was getting into

I know Steamspy isn't very accurate early on. but it says the game has 40,522 ± 6,516 owners already (pre-orders, I'm assuming). That seems like a pretty decent head start for an indie game.

Woohoo! Beta was fun, especially teaming up and wrecking other teams. I could see playing it for a while to master the depth of the combat.
You and I tend have to similar tastes in games, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this. I've only been getting into multiplayer games this year, and never really got into fighters before, but the custom movesets, semi-realistic martial arts style, and the cool aesthetic really intrigues me

dinoroar

Banned
Played for an hour so far and it's cool. I'm having troubles knowing where I am/going but the Journey like multiplayer is great, already had some awesome moments with other players.

Some impressions from a channel I watch occasionally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzOjyuPIzw8
In sum and substance: nuanced elegant fighting system that will take time to master, the one-on-one fights and the seamless Journey-esque multiplayer highlight the game's strengths, the world map can be confusing to explore, overall a unique fighter that's enjoyable to master but can offer a relatively steep learning curve for newcomers

Maddrical

Nice, was wondering if Absolver was going to get an OT here. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread for impressions/reviews. I'm pretty interested in checking it out, there's a lot about the game that I like but I'm still hesitant to buy a PvP focused game nowadays... server issues and low player count can be a real pain in the ass, especially being in Australia.

EDIT:

Well according to a Reddit thread and this youtube video there is indeed bad lag in Australia as it uses the Korean server for now. Gonna have to hold off on a purchase for now.

Belker

Some punter on Reddit is claiming that servers are region locked, both for PVP and co-op.

I have no idea if it's nonsense or not, but they're insistent. Might be something to clarify before buying. I

Qvoth

i thought this is p2p based?
probably p2p but only finds people within a certain ping limit or something like that, the main content will be pvp after all and it'll be dumb if you fight people at 2-300 ping\

edit: 1 more minute till unlock :3

Top Bottom