• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolver |OT| Kick! Punch! It's All In The Mind!

BSpot

I feel like it's par for the course for interesting indie games to always launch with at least one major technical hurdle.

BSpot

This game is interesting. I need more time to see how I feel about it, but I am optimistic.

Feels like Karateka+Journey+Dark Souls a little...

I think this bit of information is pretty important to anybody interested in this game:

ABSOLVER CONTENT UPDATES
The development team at Sloclap is dedicated to improving and expanding Absolver based on community feedback once the game is live. In the coming weeks and months, Prospects can expect regular updates to the game to fix any issues that appear, as well as both minor and major content updates. These updates already include 3v3 Game Mode and a Spectator Mode soon after launch, but many more updates can be expected, from new combat styles and moves to new powers and equipment. Please follow updates here and on absolver.com or @Absolver on Twitter for the latest.

Can't wait to get my hands on this

How similar is this to other traditional fighting games in terms if memorizing combinations of buttons. Looks really interesting, but I just don't have the time to repeatedly play games like injustice 2 to develop the muscle memory to do well.

How similar is this to other traditional fighting games in terms if memorizing combinations of buttons. Looks really interesting, but I just don't have the time to repeatedly play games like injustice 2 to develop the muscle memory to do well.
From the little bit I'ved played so far, not at all. All your combos are custom made and limited to a few button presses that you have purposefully chosen. The complexity comes from how you can customize combos to weave between stances and into other combos, all the permutations you can do. Your combos seem more important to consider in terms of how you want to fine-tune them. Strength, speed, evasiveness (certain attacks can duck under high attacks or leap over low attacks, etc,), balancing all those elements, and so on

You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want really, depending on how you build your fighting deck (as said above). It doesn't really feel like a traditional fighter IMO.

It does take a bit of getting used to though, there's a bit of a learning curve. The controls can feel a bit overwhelming at first with as much as there is that you can do.

From the little bit I'ved played so far, not at all. All your combos are custom made and limited to a few button presses that you have purposefully chosen. The complexity comes from how you can customize combos to weave between stances and into other combos, all the permutations you can do. Your combos seem more important to consider in terms of how you want to fine-tune them. Strength, speed, evasiveness (certain attacks can duck under high attacks or leap over low attacks, etc,), balancing all those elements, and so on
Would you say it's less twitch oriented than traditional fighting games?

Would you say it's less twitch oriented than traditional fighting games?
I'm not the best person to ask because I don't really playing fighting games, but from my little experience, it seems easier to get into and start learning than an Injustice or MK. No need to master precise d-pad and button presses (as of yet); the timing element comes in terms of feints, parries, and dodges.

chefbags

Yo if they just add updates to maybe have some elemental powers (wishful thinking lol) like the last Airbender, this game will be so damn good.

The play style can work around to those elements since there's so many moves to learn.

Anybody finding this game kinda difficult? I'm still trying to learn moves, but I think I might've picked the wrong class.. should've gone parry

Edit: Ok, this game is amazing. Just had a boss fight and she was something outta Virtua fighter. This is straight!

Psycho-Typhoon

Neo Member
Just beat single player, at least as far as the narrative is concerned. Took me about 4 hours to complete. Server issues are still present on PS4, so I was unable to test any online functionality. I'm definitely hooked, however, and I can't wait to dig further into my Combat Deck and figure out my favorite combos.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Played for an hour or so last night. Looks awesome, feels (for the most part) awesome. Haven't got my head around it, but the potential for nuance in one's Combat Deck and during combat is very exciting.

Unless I'm just being a dolt or need to rejig the controls a bit, one thing they could look into in a future update is making combat against multiple opponents a little more robust. It'd be nice to be able to throw out a move or two against an opponent you're not targeting, just to keep them at bay or interrupt their attacks. Not sure how that would work with this control scheme, mind.

Jhn

This runs a lot poorer than I thought it would on PS4. Pretty bad framedrops and massive freezes when people load into your instance.

Spence

I was going to get this but watching streamers playing the Early Access it dawned on me that there was so much more focus on PvP than PvE and that's not for me.. I was hoping for some dungeon crawling.

Adryuu

So, this is 30 fps with drops on ps4, and the focus is PvP, and the single player portion is just a glorified 4h tutorial?

And there's no demo I guess.

Can you even launch it without ps plus? If so, what can you do? Roam the world with bots after playing the short campaign?

I was very interested in this but I think they've gone the route I less liked...

What a pity, seriously. I wanted this game to be for me.

BTA

Forgot this was out today too, huh.

I'm interested (even more so after hearing Wintory did the soundtrack) but if it's only a few hours of campaign, I don't know if it's for me. Not because I need games to be long, but because I'm bad at sticking with multiplayer only games and I have enough of those to (not) play as is at this point. Similarly as rad as the combat looks rad I'm afraid I won't be able to process/handle it on the level required to make it actually worth sticking with after the story anyway. Hmm.

rucury

Banned
So sad about the reception, both critically and the low hype levels at least from GAF. The game looked amazing from the trailers. I'll probably get it on a sale.

Steiner

Banned
My review will be a bit belated. During the past couple of weeks there hasn't been much of an online presence at all (obviously), so a lot of the main meat of the game I still need to dive into -- that is, online PvP and co-op adventuring specifically.

The main single-player content can be worked through in a single day or two for serious players. There are four boss fights and some wandering targets to take out before you become an Absolver, and after that, you're left to your own devices, but things do open up quite a bit.

As an Absolver that's when you're really supposed to start wandering, accepting students, taking on additional fight challenges (scaled up boss fight repeats), and diving into PvP.

The combat deck system really is quite nice, and finely tuned. It rewards you for planning out your fighting style, working hard to unlock the moves that are important to you, and perfecting your timing. It's definitely something I'll be keeping up with.

As much as I want to love this, it is a technical mess, at least on PS4 pro. Having people constantly enter and leave areas chokes the game, causing stutters during fights, I've had teleporting opponents that don't animate when fighting (while doing and taking damage), and worst of all, crashes can corrupt your save. Back up those saves in the cloud!

This shit needs to be fixed asap. Think I need to stop buying indie games for a while. Nothing but bug ridden messes lately.

I have been looking at this for awhile, I didn't get into the beta so I didn't get to try it and it sounds like it nailed what it wanted to do.

Worried about the player base, netcode and other weird oddities though. I'll be playing on PC so I guess I won't have to worry about the framerate though.

Either way I am on the fence.

Is it 30fps on the pro as well?
Yeah. I haven't really experienced general drops below 30fps though, outside of the network related stutters when people enter areas.

Playing offline, in the 1v1 duels, or in areas where no one is transitioning have been fine.

Amzin

When I first saw this I was stoked, but honestly the PvP focus is a huge turnoff for me. I want a good SP martial arts game again :( I might pick it up on sale but I hated For Honor (as a MP game anyway) so the comparisons there don't give me a lot of excitement.

A.J.

Banned
Yes with framerate drops also.

Having a good time so far in the game. I just beat the second boss so far so still early on in the game but it really reminds me of Dark Souls/Nioh.

Yeah. I haven't really experienced general drops below 30fps though, outside of the network related stutters when people enter areas.

Playing offline, in the 1v1 duels, or in areas where no one is transitioning have been fine.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I want to abandon my preorder for the PC version. I'd really like 60 fps for this.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Enjoying the game so far, combat is deep and fun. Had a crash though just from running around. Network related stuttering is fairly annoying.

I really like this game and it fucking shines in 1v1 scenarios.

But 2v1, 3v1 and so on? Christ, it becomes a clusterfuck

Was so looking forward to this but my interest dropped off a cliff finding out the PS4 version is 30fps and the PC version doesn't have crossplay.

Riddler

Man did not know you can't play when servers are down. It's fun when it's not lagging or frame rate drops but I still have hope. I really want a good martial arts game.

chefbags

Enjoying the game so far, combat is deep and fun. Had a crash though just from running around. Network related stuttering is fairly annoying.

Lol yeah 2v1 and so on are ridiculous. Shit gets real when they're all against you. Makes me think more on what moves to use but damn does it suck lol.

Psycho-Typhoon

Neo Member
Was able to get into a few fights in before another disconnection happened. Had a player go hostile due to friendly fire, but he quickly stopped once they noticed I was a target.

Speaking of online, how are PSN users handling communication with others? I'm already an Absolver, but is there a way to tell if other players are Absolvers? Until you get the lay of the land, it's easy to get lost and it would help if I knew what bosses a player needed to go to so I could show them the right path. If they need to, that is.

Man did not know you can't play when servers are down. It's fun when it's not lagging or frame rate drops but I still have hope. I really want a good martial arts game.

You can still play the game. All you have to do is switch it to offline mode.

All I really do is try to get them to hit each other lol. I think I saw a sweep attack that can probably help with the 3v1 times.

BSpot

YEah, I know the game is in its infancy, but if anyone has any pointers in general... I go up on 2v1 encounters against NPCs and the way the dodge/dash system is related to lock-on, I feel like I usually dodge into the second attacking NPC's foot or fist. And then I die.

Top Bottom