• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolver |OT| Kick! Punch! It's All In The Mind!

Doombear

I had this too, but I thought I was imagining things. I was in the big tower and some of the corners and rooms felt much darker than before.

I tried to adjust the brightness in the game, but there wasn't an option in the menu. PS4 version.

Exactly where I was when I noticed it after the update!

Does anyone have a Forsaken school I can join?

Not really interested in using stagger, so I wanna unlock rewards that I'll actually use.

Perineum

Ugh. Spent like 10 minutes widdling down an AI to learn some moves, and right as I'm about to kill him to reap the rewards the game makes him disappear, then savage rubber banding comes into play.

Shit like this makes me want to ditch the game altogether...

So I've beaten the 6 marked ones, the 2 bosses, and
what's her name at the top of the tower and I've become an Absolver.

Is there anything else to do? I already unlocked stagger style, and replaying bosses seems to be locked behind PvP. Even assuming I wanted to do that, the PvP doesn't even work.

Is there anything else to do? I already unlocked stagger style, and replaying bosses seems to be locked behind PvP. Even assuming I wanted to do that, the PvP doesn't even work.

Nope. Dats it mang.

The PvP has been near flawless for me in the combat trials. Absolver tricked people into buying a fighting game by offering a single player campaign.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Installing now! Very very excited!

Edit:
Wow. This game is astounding. Have only just breached the surface but this is extremely my jam. Big learning curve but after like 40 minutes I was starting to get a feel. Totally gorgeous, extremely polished.

A shame the servers are down currently, it's quite lonely at the moment.

Watching my GF play right now.

Perineum

I think I'm on a 20 streak of wins in PvP. Which is great, but it also makes the game somewhat dull.

Cool game, but this should've been like a $10.00 digital title. It's a weekend of mindless fun at best.

I think I'm on a 20 streak of wins in PvP. Which is great, but it also makes the game somewhat dull.

Cool game, but this should've been like a $10.00 digital title. It's a weekend of mindless fun at best.

Keep leveling and you will meet some crazy players. I am sparring with combat trial level 100+ people and they are fucking savage.

mnemonicj

I agree that all fighting game fans should give it a try, but I strongly disagree about the PS4 version.

Are you playing offline? There are fewer frame rate issues offline, but connect to a server and there are numerous issues on PS4.

If people have the option, go for it on PC.

I've been having a lot of trouble online, mostly lag and framerate issues.
I can connect to the servers with no issues, and I'm hoping for a better experience in an upcoming update the developer posted about.

But yes, the PC version is probably a better experience right now.

Perineum

Keep leveling and you will meet some crazy players. I am sparring with combat trial level 100+ people and they are fucking savage.

IDK I just don't think the core gameplay loop is that engaging. The game launched too barebones on top of that.

It's by no sense a traditional fighting game, so the best thing to compare it to is For Honor. That game had more SP content, MP content, and while broken AF balance wise it still had a lot going on under the hood mechanics wise.

I am nowhere near unlocking all of the moves, etc and the game isn't doing much to propel my inner grindsman to go ahead to do so. With that, do throws eventually get unlocked?

That seems to be what is missing. Throws would cause more of a mix up game. There isn't a full on high/low game here since you can just block button all moves, so it would be nice if the game similar to For Honor forced you to be blocking say the sweep with a low, and the jump knee as a high, and other moves are mid, etc.

Cool game, but yeah not a keeper for me. I do love a lot of it though.

Oh and what a shame this didn't have a true soundtrack. Such a missed opportunity.

IDK I just don't think the core gameplay loop is that engaging. The game launched too barebones on top of that.

It's by no sense a traditional fighting game, so the best thing to compare it to is For Honor. That game had more SP content, MP content, and while broken AF balance wise it still had a lot going on under the hood mechanics wise.

I am nowhere near unlocking all of the moves, etc and the game isn't doing much to propel my inner grindsman to go ahead to do so. With that, do throws eventually get unlocked?

That seems to be what is missing. Throws would cause more of a mix up game. There isn't a full on high/low game here since you can just block button all moves, so it would be nice if the game similar to For Honor forced you to be blocking say the sweep with a low, and the jump knee as a high, and other moves are mid, etc.

Cool game, but yeah not a keeper for me. I do love a lot of it though.

Oh and what a shame this didn't have a true soundtrack. Such a missed opportunity.

Idk man as someone with 300 hours on For Honor Absolver's combat is a lot deeper. But hey to each their own.

Being able to block both directions is countered by Breaker moves, so I don't agree with that simplification. This gameis actually much less turtley than FoHo.

You must be out of your mind if you think this is a ten dollar title. It's a deep always changing system on top of a game packed with gorgeous visuals and character design. It's such an ignorant statement to make.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang. Still no connection on PC today either.
Really enjoying this, only beginning to wrap my head around the deck. I watched some YouTube videos this morning.

EDIT:
Is there a better way to see what moves you have available to you than the deck builder?

I keep running into the issue of unlocking a move, and then going to the deck builder and having no idea where to find it. You can only see the available moves from each stance so you have to scroll through each directional stance to see if you can pick out the new move. Seems like there'd be an easier to way to see all your moves. I guess as more moves unlock this will be less of an issue. I definitely spent a good few minutes cycling through menus just trying to find the movie I had just unlocked.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Aw yeah the servers work!! Just played online it was amazing. This game is amazing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Starting to get a feel for editing my deck. Playing online is so much fun. It's incredible. This game is blowing my mind! Got into some sparring matches with a few guys and it felt really cool helping them up afterwards. One pompous ass with a cape walked by and gave the "nah nah" finger wag and then punched me and ran off. I chased him for a quite a while without him noticing me and then we duked out.

Lots of crazy shit goin down in this one.

Is it so wrong to want the map at all times instead of just at those temples? I have to look up a guide to figure out where I haven't been to.

Belker

Tried picking this up again today after a few days away. I couldn't see a new patch, but I hoped that perhaps they would have added more servers to help with its PS4 problems. I also played at a time where the server population wouldn't have been very high at all.

No dice. Same frame rate issues with multiple NPCs around and in complex enviromments. Game still paused when moving between locations or people dropped into the server.

It got to the point where even trying to cycle through stances felt problematic as I was fighting the camera, the frame rate and other NPCs.

I know there's 'a patch' coming, but I don' tknow what for platform. My concern is that they decide to support PC and PS4 falls by the wayside.

It's another reminder to only buy games after launch and after you hear other people's thoughts. No streamers or reviewers with free copies playing on closed servers, but average punters that bought their game.

I think I might have to extend those rules to also being careful of games developed for PC and console by small teams. It feels like the PC is the platform that gets precedence.

GermanZepp

I'm 20+ hours in lvl52.

I recomend playing the "campaign" offline and get familiar with all the stuff and learn all the moves you can.

Become and absolver and begin to spar online.

The servers not work at all or work bad. There are serious lag. And the matchmaking is slow as fuck.

BUT when thigns went smooth in a couple of matches. The PVP it's top notch, very deep combat system and costomization. Weapons and skills.

Very fun to spar when the game puts you vs a good player.

Balanced well so far. A game that when you lose, you really learn something to improve. Crafting your deck to the core and covering all the situaltions is a lot of fun.

It's a multiplayer fighting game with some loot . I dig it.

TheTrain

After almost 40 hours between PvE and PvP I feel that the tracking on all the Kick needs to be toned down, I don't know why it exist something like that in a game like this...maybe because the dash was too powerful during the testing?
But right now I feel that, as a Windfall, is really frustrating trying to avoid all the side kick available

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking of starting a build other than windfall! It seems like significantly more difficult to play the other two. The dopest, but the hardest.

Nothing is better than whooping the shit out of quick attack spammers and having them rage quit by jumping off the level after their little game plan they saw on youtube and twitch doesn't pan out for them.

So I've been looking over this for a while.

Is there a fast way of learning stagger? I haven't seen any videos of claiming to have learned it from pvp with friends?

GermanZepp

Nothing is better than whooping the shit out of quick attack spammers and having them rage quit by jumping off the level after their little game plan they saw on youtube and twitch doesn't pan out for them.

I jump when the match is a laggy .( first i said "no no no" with my fingers) Two seconds in the match and i can tell. If your oponent suddenly do "teleportation " it's a game lost.

There is no lobby to see the oponent's ping or game chat so, imposible to say "Dude, your crazy if you think that i going to spar with a lagger "

GermanZepp

So I've been looking over this for a while.

Is there a fast way of learning stagger? I haven't seen any videos of claiming to have learned it from pvp with friends?

You go to the coliseum area, to the save fireplace spot. If you go up to the stairs is Jim mesca. You fight him you defeat him.

If you go down and right near the " bridge" there is a locked (or not) door (shortcut) if you keep going that route Jim mesca it's there too. So, he is in two spots (even in three places in the map) .

You fight him y learn. Other way to make him re apear in the same spot is leave the game and going back in.

Thats for the moves.

If you refer to complete the blue line style symbol. This is you got to do.

1- You equip the stagger style (with all the locked move set)

2- You find and enemy that as " charged fist " as his first attack (they glow grey before make the move, there is a lot of them in the cursed tower afert you beat all bosses you open the main door ) and as you began to spar wait for the attack and pres left or right to evade. The enemy will keep doing this attack over and over.

3- If you do it correctly the Style will fill. Repeat.

Or you can spar on line.

TheTrain

Absolver Patch 1.05

Dear Prospects, we’ve been 100% committed this week into improving the experience for players all around the world. This update addresses mainly bug fixes and stability improvement. Please note that we will keep tabs on player’s feedback regarding this patch and are continuing work on online stability and server availability for players around the world.

Please find below the patch notes for update 1.05 rolling out now for PC. There will be another next week (1.06) that will include some new goodies. Thanks for all your support, you can join the discussion in the official forums.

support_pc@sloclap.com

Code

- Various improvements to server connection and matchmaking
- Added double save to avoid complete progression loss if a save get corrupted
- Bug fixes when joining a school
- Fixed bug where Achievements wouldn’t be unlocked on Steam and PS4.
- Beat an AI to unlock your due achievements, there could be a small delay before the achievement pops :)
- Cross-region invitations added
- Fixed Boss progression not being updated (For now, this fix only works for bosses, we’re still working on fixing the Marked Ones progression issue. We apologize about this issue and are still investigating.
Improved overall stability)

http://steamcommunity.com/games/473690/announcements/detail/1435941998443437728

TheTrain

Sooooo...I have reached the lv50 in the combat trials, if you need a Windfall school I'm available to teach you my deck !

WGMBY

Just became an Aboslver today, lvl 35. Trying to learn the stagger style now. Is there any other way to learn a style's defensive move other than being in a school for it?

The combat in this game is fantastic, I beat it in a day. It's such a shame that the content is lacking. When I finished the pve/story I felt just like I did when I beat The Order: 1886. That's it? It was just getting started! I have the itch to keep playing, I hope they add more (free) content.

BTW, how do I get the other styles if I picked Windfall at character select? Specifically the defensive maneuvers?

projectmayhem

Neo Member
Do they have a server in Asia? I'm in Japan and haven't been able to play online at all because the lag's so bad. Still played 20 hours offline so I feel like I've got my money's worth, just a shame I haven't been able to experience what the game is actually about.

mnemonicj

Do they have a server in Asia? I'm in Japan and haven't been able to play online at all because the lag's so bad. Still played 20 hours offline so I feel like I've got my money's worth, just a shame I haven't been able to experience what the game is actually about.

Are you playing on PSN?
I'm in Taiwan and have been able to co-op a few times with people. Shoot me a message if interested.

TheTrain

http://steamcommunity.com/app/473690/discussions/0/2765630416809899489/

PATCH 1.06 SPOILERS BELOW
(The patch is currently being tested and will be released in a couple of days; more details on bugfixes will follow very soon)

Special abilities

Absorb successful

· add +20 protection during 5s (can be stacked)
· increase ghost damage refill speed (x2)
· decrease stamina bonus (50 -> 20)

> Absorb was not so easy to use and required to have very fast attacks to regain quickly the damage taken. With the increase of ghost damage refill speed and the protection bonus we think that this style will be easier to use without fast attacks and corresponds more to the original fantasy of the style. Also it'll be less frustrating when you get hit after several successfull absorbs. Because of these buffs we had to lower its stamina bonus.

Avoid successful

· Decrease stamina bonus (40 -> 35) increase stamina cost 5 -> 10
· Character avoided : Decrease stamina refill (x0.3) during 1.5s
· Character avoided : Stamina malus (-10)

> Avoid was considered below the parry : 4 inputs to choose instead of 2, and a worst reward (0.4s of slowdown instead of 0.6s of freeze). The fact is that for a lot of attacks there are 3 valid choices (high thrust attacks can be avoided left, right or down for instance), it also has a small recovery compared to the parry, and it stops the tracking of the opponent's attack.
But it's true that against attacks with very small recovery the Avoid doesn't give enough time to counter-attack. So we decided to give another kind of reward : it inflicts a stamina malus on the avoided character, and also has a great stamina bonus.
In short, Windfall is now the best style for stamina management, and to exhaust your opponent.

Parry successful

· Decrease stamina bonus (30 -> 15)

> Parry has a high risk / high reward. We think that the reward to connect a medium to strong attack is enough so we decided to decrease its stamina bonus.

Stagger style

· decrease range of side special attacks (190 -> 145)

> Stagger side attacks was "spammable", by decreasing their range these attacks become more defensive than offensive.

Attacks

· Decrease range and impact on guard of fastest attacks
· Increase impact on guard of Breaking attacks

> We've seen a lot of comments about the spam goldlink. The overall idea was always to make the guard stronger than the fast attacks, we want someone who use only fast attacks to exhaust himself against the guard of his opponent.
On the other side, we don't want the players to stay in guard against breaking attacks.

1v1

· Health refill on kill now take in account the health ratio of both players at the beginning of the round

> We feel that it's more fair like that. If you start a round with small amount of health and your opponent is full life he will not have a good health refill if he kills you, but if you manage to kill him you'll get back a lot of your health.

Shockwave

· costs 2 shards
· decrease range
· add stamina bonus + boost stamina refill during 5s

> What we want with these modifications : less shockwave spam, less offensive shockwave to push you out of ring, but keep the defensive shockwave and add a tactical use of the following boost of stamina.

Others

· Increase weight/mobility impact on stamina
· Increase dodge iFrames (2 -> 4)
· Keep shards after death

>The heavy characters had not enough drawbacks.
The dodge was too much punished by horizontal attacks. With better invincible frames it's now easier to dodge attacks (but the dodge has still a very high cost in stamina).
You'll be able to keep shards after death, it gives more strategic options in 1v1 and allows you to use high cost powers/weapons more often.

Maps / Raslan

· Decreased maximum number of enemy AIs per zone
· Improved some enemy AIs detection range
· Fixed navigation issue in Oratian Quarter zone

Maps / 1v1

· Fixed out of bounds issue in Adalian Columbary arena
· Modification on the cross arena (no more central ledge)

Gilby

What are GAF's thoughts on the new patch? Most of the community isn't so hot on the dodge buff...

Personally, I dig most of the changes to the combat (Kahlt NEEDED a buff), but I don't think the added I-frames for dodges were a good idea at all.
I get why they did it though, newbs were complaining about gold-linking-spamming, and they're trying to tell them "press dodge, don't just block, idiots". But now chains are even weaker than before, and that was already the easiest strategy to beat. The netcode seems to keep getting worse, too...(I had almost no problems after the first patch).

I also miss the doughnut, but I know I'm in the minority on that :(

All that being said HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS STILL AWESOME. Easily the best online multiplayer since Overwatch, and probably my favourite 1v1 game since Melee! If anyone is reading this who is on the fence, and you like complex combat systems, just get it. It's got some technical hiccups right now, but damn is it good.

Top Bottom