• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Don't pay more than $80 for SNES Classic, supply won't be an issue.

GameSpot said:
After the NES Classic was basically impossible to find for many, fans are no doubt wondering what the stock situation will be for the soon-to-launch SNES Classic. Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said in an interview with Financial Times that Nintendo "dramatically increased" production for SNES Classic stock. He advised people not to pay more than the $80 sticker price on auction sites for the console, suggesting the system will be readily available.

When SNES Classic units opened for pre-order, they were hard to find. Some took this as a sign that SNES Classic, like the NES Classic, would be short on supply. However, Fils-Aime said issues with SNES Classic pre-orders were "outside our control" at retailers. He added that for the SNES Classic, supply is not the issue.

"I would strongly urge you not to over-bid on an SNES Classic on any of the auction sites . . . You shouldn't [have to] pay more than $79.99," Fils-Aime said.

As for the NES Classic shortages, Fils-Aime said Nintendo said the company was not holding back stock on purpose to create an artificial scarcity situation. Nintendo did not produce enough units, Fils-Aime said, because the models that Nintendo looked at for retro consoles from other companies apparently showed they might not be very popular.

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/nintendo-exec-comments-on-snes-classic-supply/1100-6453238/

Scalpers on suicide watch?

kulapik

Reggie's right, in fact I'm going to preorder one right now.

Oh, wait, I can't, it's all sold out, guess I'll have to go to the store when it launches aaand there's none.

will believe it when I see it

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I am fairly certain they want this on shelves during the holiday. They may have only allocated a certain amount for online preorder and are sending the rest B&M.

I recall someone at Nintendo saying this after the NES Classic debacle.

YxhCJAR.jpg

g11

I'd like to believe him, and yet didn't he just say Switches might be hard to find this holiday season? That plus NIntendo's past issues with supply makes me very skeptical they've somehow finally mastered supply and demand.

but... but why? I've seen it pre-ordable on a few amazon websites often. I just don't know if they ship outside the respective countries, sorry.

It was 99€ on Amazon Germany and I think it was 90€ at Media Markt and Saturn, it's clearly more pricey than in the US, even if we include taxes, it's a rip off. And I don't have a CC to order from other countries.

Bishop89

i call bullshit.

Apparently there is a chance of low stock for the Switch this upcoming holiday. I doubt there will be an abundance of SNES Classics on the shelves

Even if the NES burnts out many people, it it obvious that there will boe more stock in addition to the initial pre launch pre orders.

I more mean were they only allowing a certain allotment of preorder units to have more instore units on launch day, considering how fast the preorders went.

oti

Banned
99€ is $118 US.

I don't really care what their reason is. Sony and MS aren't doing that either. So fuck them.
You're not making sense. Nintendo isn't the company selling you the SNES mini. It's the retailer you buy the product from. There's no official UVP. Even if there was, the retailers will ask you for more money because they know you want it. There's no Buchpreisbindung for video games.
I'd love nothing more than for it to be true :(
I'm sure it will be easier to get one, compared to the NES mini. Maybe not for launch though. That will be a shitshow.

So he thinks Bergsala here in Norway, and Scandinavia are scalpers?
He's head of NoA and is obviously only addressing customers in North America, why is that hard to understand?

If anything supply and demand situation should be better in Europe compared to US if the NES Mini and Switch situations (and even SNES Classic pre-orders) are any indication.

kyo_strife

Neo Member
Meanwhile the official distributors are scalping us in Hungary, Czech Republic, Norway etc. Suggested retail price is $170, what the fuck

It was 99€ on Amazon Germany and I think it was 90€ at Media Markt and Saturn, it's clearly more pricey than in the US, even if we include taxes, it's a rip off. And I don't have a CC to order from other countries.

That's the bad side of Nintendo not setting a MSRP/RRP in Europe (because of that price-fixing lawsuit I believe). Same thing happened with the Metroid Legacy Edition.

Top Bottom