• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Don't pay more than $80 for SNES Classic, supply won't be an issue.

Doesn't it seem odd that after all these years Nintendo still can't accurately predict their market? Go look at that 80s John Stossel segment from 20/20 or whatever they had the same excuses back in the NES days. We had no idea our product would be popular!

The only time I think Nintendo has met demand was the WiiU.

To be fair they compared the NES Classic to other retro All in one consoles like the Genesis, Atari, etc... and produced several times more than those. Since it was their first such product and it sold several times more than other similar consoles I think it's understandable for the NES Classic.

Doesn't it seem odd that after all these years Nintendo still can't accurately predict their market? Go look at that 80s John Stossel segment from 20/20 or whatever they had the same excuses back in the NES days. We had no idea our product would be popular!

The only time I think Nintendo has met demand was the WiiU.
Probably has to do with the fact that Nintendo was still a toy company with a toy company mindset back in the 80s.

Piscus

Maybe because they know they won't be able to manufacture more Switches for the holiday, they are going to manufacture more SNES Classics to have available and fill the gap...!
giphy%2B%252848%2529.gif

cordy

Banned
"Fuck em." - Reggie

EDIT: Oh shit this joke's already been made multiple times before I posted rofl. I love this place!!!

I really don't think it would be all that enlightening. I for one have already seen multiple users even just here who were saying they were done with Nintendo for good once they couldn't easily obtain a SNES Classic and yet they've since continued posting in Nintendo threads and continued to buy Nintendo games.

More power to people who are serious about these sorts of boycotts, I hope they get the change they want, but I think it's fairly obvious that people speak/type before they think.

And this is *before* Mario Odyssey lol.

I'm not really talking about your more than average enthusiast. They are the ones that'll pay more or use tools such as stockinformer, or queue outside on Wallmart at stupid o' clock.

I'm talking your average casual gamer that stumbles across one of these Nintendo consoles in the big stores like Asda, Tesco etc. These people are much bigger numbers than the people like me and you that'll go through all sorts of lengths and hoops to get just a single console.

They don't have to make so many that stores can't get rid of them. Produce a few million so we don't have to go through all this bullshit.

I understand that it's probably harder to do than say, but fuck me they seem to constantly fail to understand their consumer base and how much more money that could be made if they just planned this shit a little better.

Gonna' be pretty fascinating to see how this all plays out. I honestly don't think they'll be able to meet demand even if they produce five times as many SNES Classics as they did NES Classics throughout its production run. I don't think NCL has ever grasped the power of their IP to older players and lapsed consumers in the west, particularly in North America.

JPS Kai

I pre-ordered directly from Nintendo UK for £69.99. I think that's just the retailer you pre-ordered from being greedy.

This thread reminded me to make sure I had International shipping on the one I ordered from Amazon UK. With expedited shipping, it came out to just over £75.

NoKisum

So is this like the Patcher effect? Does this mean we should pay more than $80 because supply will be an issue?

oti

Banned
Gonna' be pretty fascinating to see how this all plays out. I honestly don't think they'll be able to meet demand even if they produce five times as many SNES Classics as they did NES Classics throughout its production run.

Yeah, no way this will happen. There should be significantly more supply though.

Chessr

If they come out and say dont buy on auction there is enough for everyone. Then there is enough. I am sure Reggie knows more about the numbers available than GAFers :)

Krathoon

Gold Member
It would be funny to see the scalpers try to hoard the SNES Classics and the stores keep on getting stock.

The store I have it pre-ordered at has it listed for 1590 SEK/199 USD. Nintendo of Sweden does Pokemon events at the store. It's as official as it gets.

univbee

On top of the SNES Classic being a much better product all-around for various reasons, Nintendo kind of poisoned people's minds. PLENTY of people didn't go crazy trying to get an NES Classic, expecting the supply to eventually correct itself. Instead Nintendo discontinued it and fucked them really good. So all of these people who weren't actively fighting to get an NES Classic aren't making the same mistake this time around. And Nintendo's track record suggests the supply won't be anywhere near adequate.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I would like to buy an SNES classic or two.
Now way I'm buy from a scalper.

So I hope Reggie is right. If not, meh. Plenty of other ways to spend my time and money.

When Nintendo decides to

A) do fully open preorders
B) base supply on actual preorders rather than dreams and assumptions

Then I might actually put some stock into statements like this. Until then, we don't believe you, you need more people.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They should make a sequel to Jingle All the Way with Arnold's character trying to find a SNES Classic for his grandson and going through all kinds of hijinks to get one.

Marcel

Gonna' be pretty fascinating to see how this all plays out. I honestly don't think they'll be able to meet demand even if they produce five times as many SNES Classics as they did NES Classics throughout its production run. I don't think NCL has ever grasped the power of their IP to older players and lapsed consumers in the west, particularly in North America.

I don't think it's an issue of not grasping or misunderstanding after so many years. They simply don't care and are sticking to the strategy that was agreed upon. Japan infamously micromanages the powerless NA branch on most aspects of the business so all Reggie can do is just say the same shit as always.

I don't think it's an issue of not grasping or misunderstanding after so many years. They simply don't care and are sticking to the strategy that was agreed upon. Japan infamously micromanages the powerless NA branch on most aspects of the business so all Reggie can do is just say the same shit as always.

Well yeah, I'm sure NoA is well aware of the hold their IP has on their market. I'm talking about NCL. Because they give their external branches so little autonomy, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they have very little idea how big their older titles are in countries like the US.

ToonLink

This thread reminded me to make sure I had International shipping on the one I ordered from Amazon UK. With expedited shipping, it came out to just over £75.

Yeah, unlike Amazon.de, Amazon UK seems to stick to MSRP... at least for now. I hope they never start overcharging on products that are low in stock just because they can.

I bet fellow vikings have brought this up multiple times, but in Scandinavia the retail price is over $170. Maybe Reggie will reimburse the region with free copy of Lost Vikings on the Virtual Console next year?

Filament Star

Neo Member
Time this stooge left.

He's just doing his job, he just has a lot less power over the company than his presence makes it seem.

I believe the stock situation for the SNES will be fine. There might not be piles of them but they should be around. The problem will be if scalpers buy them all anyway.

boiled goose

good with gravy

I do think it's misunderstanding the market.

Nintendo frequently fails to understand their own fanbase and when they have a hit they are frequently caught surprised.

Nintendo thought wii u would appeal to core gamers and publishers. If that doesn't indicate being out of touch I don't know what does.

On top of the SNES Classic being a much better product all-around for various reasons, Nintendo kind of poisoned people's minds. PLENTY of people didn't go crazy trying to get an NES Classic, expecting the supply to eventually correct itself. Instead Nintendo discontinued it and fucked them really good. So all of these people who weren't actively fighting to get an NES Classic aren't making the same mistake this time around. And Nintendo's track record suggests the supply won't be anywhere near adequate.
This has been the point I've made all along. The supply constraints here are two-fold: 1) SNES popularity and 2) the fact that the direct predecessor was discontinued near the height of its demand.

Unless they do pre-orders a year in advance or more, this isn’t really feasible due to supply chain logistics.

Or they could simply keep making them until demand is sated some months after launch, within a reasonable percent (5-10). By not doing open preorders, Nintendo is basically saying they don't care to know what accrual demand is. They're gonna ship what they're gonna ship, and that will be that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Reggie said:
You shouldn't [have to] pay more than $79.99

Alright, then why the fuck is the Swedish price $200, before the scalpers have even been added to the equation?!

(Yes, I know that's not how it works. But I'm still furious that we're getting so royally fucked on this one.)

(And to be a bit more fair, it's about $160 before VAT. So "only" twice the price, yay.)

So he thinks Bergsala here in Norway, and Scandinavia are scalpers?

They absolutely are. Disgusting company. A fair price here would have been 100 USD, or 800 SEK/NOK. But we're paying twice that, holy shit.

With the Pound Sterling being at a long-time low, it has made ordering this product from the UK cheaper than any other place outside of USA. And if you're importing it anyway then it's even cheaper to do from the UK than importing from US price since you don't pay tax. My pre-order from Amazon.co.uk lists the price of the SNES Mini as £58.33

ParityBit

Man this leaves a bad taste in my mouth because I know it is not true. Why would you not just revamp the NES Classic while you are at it? Why discontinue it when there are tons of people who want it (I have one)

Why not tell us now that Nintendo plans on selling/making more than a 3 month supply?

Well yeah, I'm sure NoA is well aware of the hold their IP has on their market. I'm talking about NCL. Because they give their external branches so little autonomy, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they have very little idea how big their older titles are in countries like the US.

This is the Nintendo that took 18 years to make a big, brand-new open-world Zelda game after their first 3D games, even while open-world games took over every genre anyone's ever associated with Zelda.

What I think is more likely is that Nintendo has instead become super invested in their own creativity and that they only lean on their older titles for cheap nostalgia plays (which actually suggests that they do understand that their older titles have sway over consumers) without actually emulating the spirit that made those titles successful.

This explains why Nintendo underestimates demand for their older titles, too; they can't imagine that anyone would still want to play those boring games they made 25-30 years ago because they routinely ignore what those titles did best when making sequels.

This is the Nintendo that took 18 years to make a big, brand-new open-world Zelda game after their first 3D games, even while open-world games took over every genre anyone's ever associated with Zelda.

What I think is more likely is that Nintendo has instead become super invested in their own creativity and that they only lean on their older titles for cheap nostalgia plays (which actually suggests that they do understand that their older titles have sway over consumers) without actually emulating the spirit that made those titles successful.

This explains why Nintendo underestimates demand for their older titles, too; they can't imagine that anyone would still want to play those boring games they made 25-30 years ago because they routinely ignore what those titles did best when making sequels.

I definitely think there's an element of "why would they want to play our older stuff, instead of our new creations??" to this as well, yeah.

Hopefully they'll realize one of these days that easy access to their older games will encourage many consumers to look into their new offerings.

Top Bottom