• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Don't pay more than $80 for SNES Classic, supply won't be an issue.

Shiggy

That's the bad side of Nintendo not setting a MSRP/RRP in Europe (because of that price-fixing lawsuit I believe). Same thing happened with the Metroid Legacy Edition.

Nope, that's not preventing anyone from giving a recommended retail price (RRP) in Europe. It's just a decision they have made.

I more mean were they only allowing a certain allotment of preorder units to have more instore units on launch day, considering how fast the preorders went.
Considering how many preorders they sold, probably not.

If they actually had this many Amazon probably wouldn't have had to remove release date guarantee.

TheContact

Reggie's right, in fact I'm going to preorder one right now.

Oh, wait, I can't, it's all sold out, guess I'll have to go to the store when it launches aaand there's none.

will believe it when I see it

Dude it's September. Yes you won't get the first round of shipments at this point but you still have more than 3 months to get one

oti

Banned
Nope, that's not preventing anyone from giving a recommended retail price (RRP) in Europe. It's just a decision they have made.

And it's so dumb. I get Japanese companies and their fixation for honour and all, but it's time to move on. The only people who suffer because of this are their customers.

big_z

w1jNp6P.jpg

Ledsen

So why is it the equivalent of TWO HUNDRED F-ING DOLLARS in Sweden huh? Give me that $80 SNES classic, just tell me where to find it...

oti

Banned
Well, preorders selling out in seconds sure gives me a ton of confidence. :|

Everyone wants to have it on day 1. Nobody can be 100% sure to get one down the line but I'm sure the chances of getting one eventually are way higher than for the NES mini.

lucius

Good now I will be able to pick up one eventually if I look around like how you can with Switch, I believe they will come through this time Nintendo reputation on the line of they don't.

Seems pretty clear to me Reggie is saying your max bid should be $79.99. Nothing about being able to buy it at retail.

"I would strongly urge you not to over-bid on an SNES Classic on any of the auction sites . . . You shouldn't [have to] pay more than $79.99," Fils-Aime said.

trixx

how many are they planning to make this holiday? Cause it could be a popular present

Some of these scalpers are going to hold 20+ consoles, like damn.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
*except if you live in Quebec

Yeah, I thought I've read that it won't be available here because Nintendo didn't bother putting a french description on the box and our stupid law is blocking it from coming? Did the same thing happened with the NES Classic?

lucius

Seems pretty clear to me Reggie is saying your max bid should be $79.99. Nothing about being able to buy it at retail.

"I would strongly urge you not to over-bid on an SNES Classic on any of the auction sites . . . You shouldn't [have to] pay more than $79.99," Fils-Aime said.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said in an interview with Financial Times that Nintendo "dramatically increased" production for SNES Classic stock. He advised people not to pay more than the $80 sticker price on auction sites for the console, suggesting the system will be readily available.

He is a smart guy he wouldn't say this part if he thought it was BS, whether they come through is another story

bluehat9

Everyone wants to have it on day 1. Nobody can be 100% sure to get one down the line but I'm sure the chances of getting one eventually are way higher than for the NES mini.

You think they're going to be able to produce more stock than what they have for launch? It sold out so fast that it's going to be a scalpers paradise for the the six months they sell the thing. Doubt it will ever be online for more than a couple minutes and people will be buying out the little shipments stores get in before it leaves the packing boxes. I have absolutely zero faith in ever seeing one in person. I never saw an NES.

I guess gamestop online could be an option, even that won't be at reggies price point because it will have $100+ of garbage collectibles that they can't sell otherwise with it.

I guess they'll have more stock than the NES Classic then? Don't see why he'd say not to buy from Scalpers otherwise.

Because scalpers don't share their profit with Nintendo, that's all there is to it.

I'm 100% certain there will be far more SNES units for sale than NES, because Nintendo now know how much these kind of devices can sell and SNES will be in even higher demand, because more people used to own a SNES...question is, will the higher demand eat the higher supply numbers and make it pretty much a repeat of the NES situation?

Cool Reggie, cool. I'll remember this when I never even see one, like the NES Mini where you said pretty much the exact same thing.

Christ Nintendo, what does it take for you to just understand that you shouldn't have to 'dramatically' increase production? Why aren't you forecasting this console to sell far more than the NES Classic, which we all went through the very same stock problems before?

I would really love to know how many people have decided to give up on buying one of these, and the NES classic and even the Switch due to forecasting such low numbers.

I'd like to believe him, and yet didn't he just say Switches might be hard to find this holiday season? That plus NIntendo's past issues with supply makes me very skeptical they've somehow finally mastered supply and demand.

Sigh... no, he never said that, the headline did. What Reggie actually said: “Are we going to have enough for the holiday? That’s what we are focused on.”

MicH

I wish.

This thing costs 355 US Dollars in Denmark. From retailers like GameStop etc. It's the official price. It's ridiculous.

Chao

I would love for that to happen only to see scalpers having to eat their preorders or sell them at a loss.

Fucking scumbags.

And it's so dumb. I get Japanese companies and their fixation for honour and all, but it's time to move on. The only people who suffer because of this are their customers.

They got fined for price fixing and are now terribly afraid to do anything with prices. I don't blame them.

And anyone paying more than suggested price is a fool.

IT IS A GODDAMN TOY. Stop consuwhoring and think for yourself. Buy food instead or something. No reason to get angry over a plastic toy.

Meanwhile the official distributors are scalping us in Hungary, Czech Republic, Norway etc. Suggested retail price is $170, what the fuck
That's nuts. How many retailers are there competing for business? Surely with proper competition this would not be a sustainable strategy.

zigg

I don't think anyone can yet reliably say what's going to happen after it actually launches. We'll see.

But take heart, Reggie—there was no way I was gonna pay a scalper price.

oti

Banned
Cuningas de Häme;248559551 said:
They got fined for price fixing and are now terribly afraid to do anything with prices. I don't blame them.

And anyone paying more than suggested price is a fool.

IT IS A GODDAMN TOY. Stop consuwhoring and think for yourself. Buy food instead or something. No reason to get angry over a plastic toy.

Don't fix prices.
Give out a RRP.

It's not hard.

I would really love to know how many people have decided to give up on buying one of these, and the NES classic and even the Switch due to forecasting such low numbers.

I really don't think it would be all that enlightening. I for one have already seen multiple users even just here who were saying they were done with Nintendo for good once they couldn't easily obtain a SNES Classic and yet they've since continued posting in Nintendo threads and continued to buy Nintendo games.

More power to people who are serious about these sorts of boycotts, I hope they get the change they want, but I think it's fairly obvious that people speak/type before they think.

And this is *before* Mario Odyssey lol.

brawly

I would love for that to happen only to see scalpers having to eat their preorders or sell them at a loss.

Fucking scumbags.

Not gonna happen anyway. Scalpers could just keep them until Nintendo inevitably stop making them.

I really don't think it would be all that enlightening. I for one have already seen multiple users even just here who were saying they were done with Nintendo for good once they couldn't easily obtain a SNES Classic and yet they've since continued posting in Nintendo threads and continued to buy Nintendo games.

More power to people who are serious about these sorts of boycotts, I hope they get the change they want, but I think it's fairly obvious that people speak/type before they think.

And this is *before* Mario Odyssey lol.

Yep I see that too, empty threats. They think them saying them will somehow reach Nintendo's ears and make them change their ways.

Doesn't it seem odd that after all these years Nintendo still can't accurately predict their market? Go look at that 80s John Stossel segment from 20/20 or whatever they had the same excuses back in the NES days. We had no idea our product would be popular!

The only time I think Nintendo has met demand was the WiiU.

Top Bottom