• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MixedBag "Switch version of forma.8 is the most successful one right now" (irevenue)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
edit:I misspell 'revenue' as 'irevenue' in the title

Mixed Bag is reporting that they are seeing success on Switch.
Switch version has the most revenue among all platforms
Switch version also outsold PS4+Vita+Wii U + XBox One + Steam

KDccDv5.jpg

k9wmDM3.jpg

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Nice to indies do well on the system. It's really turning into the next Vita

Hero

Indies are going to eat up a lot of Switch owners wallets if the major third parties keep slacking. Good on them.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Switch version is more successful than 5 other platforms COMBINED

k9wmDM3.jpg

Robin64

A shame Playtonic couldn't get Yooka-Laylee out already, it could have a piece of this pie, rather than seemingly going up against Mario Odyssey.

Schnozberry

Honestly, the Switch is great for indies because a lot of them lend themselves very well to portable play and couch co-op, and they aren't AAA levels of ambitious with visuals. It's a good marriage, especially when it works out financially for everyone.

Indies are going to eat up a lot of Switch owners wallets if the major third parties keep slacking. Good on them.

it should be selling most on wiiu since its most starved for games. . i dont get it

It isn't just the number of games, some games are simply a better fit for people who buy handhelds and enjoy platformers.

Yeah, that game's in trouble on Switch, I'd say. Their window of opportunity is closing fast.

I imagine it will still handily outsell the Steam version, because people who buy a console to play games like Mario will eventually get tired of Mario and want something to pass the time. That's how AAA games generally trickle down.

Yeah, that game's in trouble on Switch, I'd say. Their window of opportunity is closing fast.

The problem isn't the late release. The problem is the gane sucks lol. A million people are waiting to buy Stardew Valley even though they can buy it other places simply cause the game is good. It's only been about 7 months. The opportunity isn't really shrinking imo. The game just isnt up to snuff.

phanphare

Banned
A shame Playtonic couldn't get Yooka-Laylee out already, it could have a piece of this pie, rather than seemingly going up against Mario Odyssey.

at this point it doesn't really matter. considering the reception to that game day and date was the only option so they may as well take all the time they need.

The problem isn't the late release. The problem is the gane sucks lol.

Well yeah, but I think if it had released early enough, that wouldn't have deterred many Switch owners from buying it.

A million people are waiting to buy Stardew Valley even though they can buy it other places simply cause the game is good.

That and there's nothing really like Stardew on Switch. Odyssey is going to make Yooka-Laylee redundant for many people, doubly so because it's apparently not a super high quality game. If it had launched in the spring or summer, I think it would have sold well.

zeioIIDX

I find that I buy indie titles way more on portables like the Vita and 3DS and since Switch is portable, I've actually bought a load of indie games for it. Just feels right.

Rafy

Good! I've had the opportunity to meat the people over at Mixed Bag a while back in Milan, and they are an awesome group of people.

Looks like the Switch is going to be great in providing visibility for smaller studios that have great games, that usually get lost in marketplaces with huge a catalogue such as Steam, PS Store and Xbox.

but was it successful?

It's only successful if we get a platform breakdown with exact sales numbers and a lengthy blog post by the developer affirming at least 10 times that, yes, the Switch version is a success.

And even then it won't count because Nintendo paid them to say it.

Well yeah, but I think if it had released early enough, that wouldn't have deterred many Switch owners from buying it.

That and there's nothing really like Stardew on Switch. Odyssey is going to make Yooka-Laylee redundant for many people, doubly so because it's apparently not a super high quality game. If it had launched in the spring or summer, I think it would have sold well.

Odyssey will sell amazing but I mean, if there is only room for 1 3D platformer on the Switch all that says is the system isn't really a great place that style of game. I'd argue it isn't really a big deal that Mario is out soon. Furthermore I imagine something like Sonic Forces will probablt do pretty good on Switch.

I agree the game woulda done bettwr with a simultaneous release but the only thing really hampering it now is it sucks.

Odyssey will sell amazing but I mean, if there is only room for 1 3D platformer on the Switch all that says is the system isn't really a great place that style of game. I'd argue it isn't really a big deal that Mario is out soon. Furthermore I imagine something like Sonic Forces will probablt do pretty good on Switch.

I agree the game woulda done bettwr with a simultaneous release but the only thing really hampering it now is it sucks.

Yeah, Sonic Forces will do well. Probably very well, in fact.

There's definitely room for more than one 3D platformer on the system and maybe if Yooka-Laylee releases during a quiet period it will still do ok, but my guess is that it's going to struggle now on the platform and yeah, part of the reason why is because it's not a very good game, but I think it also has a lot to do with how long it's taken to reach the system.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Hey, of course I spin everything.
But calling "astronomical sales" to something that could be like 3.000 units is ok.

Comparitively it is which is what that person is saying. Not sure else you could say one sku outselling all others combined as not a substantial overperformance.

Mory Dunz

That's what I've been saying since day one.
Obv I don't know their innerworkings, but I think getting out a switch version day and date should've been their top priority.

If bomberman did 500k and is still rising (and USFII), I don't see why Yooka wouldn't have pushed 800k to 1 million on Switch alone. Easily in fact...

random25

If only it got some rave reviews, release date wouldn't have mattered. But now when the hype is just dead...

Yeah, Sonic Forces will do well. Probably very well, in fact.

There's definitely room for more than one 3D platformer on the system and maybe if Yooka-Laylee releases during a quiet period it will still do ok, but my guess is that it's going to struggle now on the platform and yeah, part of the reason why is because it's not a very good game, but I think it also has a lot to do with how long it's taken to reach the system.

I agree with you. I mean late releases dont get launch hype. So it will struggle just based on that. But yeah I just think the game being poor is the biggest barrier. Likw those late RE ports are gonna do pretty good just cause they are solid games as an example.

Of course..
Look at the competition on other platforms for gamers money.

This is true to an extent. But the game could have still ended up selling like shit anyway. All this says is they made a good business decision.

shaneo632

I'm considering getting a Switch soon because I'm enjoying the amount of indie games that are coming out.

AAA stuff doesn't interest me all that much (apart from Mario Kart) but I scanned through the Metacritic list of Switch games and found like 20 indies I'd want to own.

Switch is actually best way to play that kind of game.

I love indies but I also like my PSN trophies. I think I'm not moving to the Switch for indie games anytime soon.

But I never knew this game was on consoles. I thought it was Steam only.

I think one of the reasons is storefront exposure. Other stores are cluttered with games especially PSN, even big games are hard to find on PSN, while games are easy to find on the Eshop.

I think one of the reasons is storefront exposure. Other stores are cluttered with games especially PSN, even big games are hard to find on PSN, while games are easy to find on the Eshop.

Nintendo also has sorta cultivated the "Nindies" announcement videos which a lot of people probably follow, stemming from people who follow Nintendo Directs, so it promotes a lot more awareness of these titles.

That and the news section when you wake the Switch from sleep shows new games all the time.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Of course..

Yup, there is nothing else Switch owners could spend money on. Im aslo pretty sure no Switch players own other systems or could use that money on anything else in their life.

I'm considering getting a Switch soon because I'm enjoying the amount of indie games that are coming out.

AAA stuff doesn't interest me all that much (apart from Mario Kart) but I scanned through the Metacritic list of Switch games and found like 20 indies I'd want to own.

Sounds like you would really enjoy this system.

Like the Vita, the Switch is probably dirt cheap (likely cheaper than Vita) to port to for games that use engines like Unity. Does it really matter if the game only sold like ~10,000 copies if development of the port only cost a few thousand dollars?

entremet

I love indies but I also like my PSN trophies. I think I'm not moving to the Switch for indie games anytime soon.

I thought Trophies/Achievements were a novelty at this point.

What I love is that I have about 15 eshop games and I don't even own this one or Wonderboy. But hey, Switch owners are starving. Maybe that's why Overcooked sold so well.

Nintendo also has sorta cultivated the "Nindies" announcement videos which a lot of people probably follow, stemming from people who follow Nintendo Directs, so it promotes a lot more awareness of these titles.

That and the news section when you wake the Switch from sleep shows new games all the time.

Exactly, I think exposure from Nintendo is helping indies a lot. PSN/XBL are quickly turning into Steam. If your game is not the biggest game in the market atm or you don't have a marketing deal, good luck finding it without using the search function.

I thought Trophies/Achievements were a novelty at this point.

Yeah but they give me incentive to keep playing a game after finishing it instead of switching to newer games.

Peltz

Of course..
But, I own other platforms. Still, I bought multiplatform games like Sonic Mania and Minecraft on Switch because they're easier to travel with - and I have not double dipped on those games (yes this this in fact my first attempt at playing minecraft).

It has nothing to do with the amount of games on Switch and everything to do with the hybrid nature of the device. I also plan to buy my favorite game of all time - Rocket League - on the device so that I always have it available when traveling.

Again, I have no problems buying games on PS4 and Steam, but the comvenience of Switch makes it a better fit for non-graphically demanding games which applies to a lot of indie releases. Most gamers who own a Switch likely own another current gen platform too.

Top Bottom