• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 Review Thread

Plum

Metacritic
Opencritic

Nintendo World Report Second Opinion - 10/10
Dig 2 isn't just another SteamWorld game, but the best one in the series so far. It blows the original out of the water with such ease that it seems almost simple.

Nintendo World Report - 9.5/10
SteamWorld Dig 2 takes everything fans loved about the original game and turns the dial up to eleven. It's bigger, better, and even more addicting than its predecessor, and absolutely deserves a spot in every single Switch owner's library.

TechRaptor - 9.5/10
Improving upon the ideas started in the first game, SteamWorld Dig 2 impresses in every way imaginable, and offers an experience that will have you glued to your screen as you dig deeper and deeper into its vast and unique mines.

Gaming Boulevard - 9.5/10
Steamworld Dig 2 is the perfect entry in the [Steamworld] franchise, it looks amazing, plays amazingly, and leaves you wanting for more.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5
SteamWorld Dig 2 is a huge, expansive and utterly fantastic mining/platformer, with a great variety of challenges and plenty of tools to attack them with.

GodIsAGeek - 9/10
Dorothy and Fen's adventure is a brilliant slice of zen gaming, a treat. Image & Form have knocked the it out of the park with this sequel.

Nintendolife - 9/10
SteamWorld Dig 2 is another confident effort from Image & Form, and a worthy successor to a game that's a treasured part of many eShop collections. Stylish and good-looking, it also has the series' trademark humour and, yes, a pretty good soundtrack. It refines and expands upon the qualities of the original and hits some delicious high points, albeit some of the smartest segments and ideas appear only briefly. It sets the scene for more content and games, too, which is pleasing to see.

AIR Entertainment - 9/10
I am positively hooked and this will have me playing for many months to come.

Ntower [German] - 9/10

IGN - 8.8/10
SteamWorld Dig 2 retains the original's addictive resource-gathering gameplay, but supplements it with a gorgeously detailed, handcrafted world. Its heady mix of exploration, combat, platforming, and puzzle solving, alongside an expansive set of abilities and mods gives it plenty of variety and a great gameplay rhythm.

SwitchItalia [Italian] - 8.5/10
The sequel offers a significant leap in the audio and visual quality compartment, alongside a very refined level design. Maybe the longevity still hurts at this price point, but the steampunk universe created is simply too charming to be ignored.

Cubed3 - 8/10
Anyone looking for a weekend well spent can't go wrong with SteamWorld Dig 2; it is the very definition of a great sequel.

Metro UK - 8/10
The SteamWorld franchise digs deeper than ever and comes up with another charming mix of Metroidvania and Boulder Dash.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Video Reviews

Nomcomms (Jonneh303) - 10/10

GoNintendo
SteamWorld Dig 2 is a must-have title for the Switch. End of story!

Will update with new reviews as they come in!

I gave it a perfect 10/10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvIM3H_W7hc

For context I liked the original SteamWorld Dig but I LOVED SteamWorld Dig 2. There are so many iconic moments and the pacing is perfect from beginning to end.

For Switch owners there's also an amazing use of HD Rumble during the games closing moments.

Edit: Oh I'm already in the OP! Thanks ;D

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Off to a good start.... Can't wait to dig into it this weekend.

In Image&Form we trust.

WonderzL

Banned
I didn't enjoy the trailer they posted but I don't think Steamworld Dig is about trailers. 1 was amazing and I think I wouldn't play it if I watched a trailer.

2 doesn't have randomly generated stuff so it is bound to be a better designed and paced game. I will certainly buy it

My most anticipated Switch game outside of Odyssey.

For Switch owners there's also an amazing use of HD Rumble during the games closing moments.

Oh shit I totally forgot there's HD Rumble (which is my favourite innovation of the Switch hands down - wish more games utilised it)

ghibli99

I gave it a perfect 10/10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvIM3H_W7hc

For context I liked the original SteamWorld Dig but I LOVED SteamWorld Dig 2. There are so many iconic moments and the pacing is perfect from beginning to end.

Edit: Oh I'm already in the OP! Thanks ;D
Nice review! It's the first of yours I've watched... and you have a new subscriber. Gonna pick this up on Switch over our long holiday weekend. :)

TheJoRu

Really interested in this. Haven't decided whether I'm going for Switch or PC version yet, but I'm very likely to get it.

Seems like they dig it.

tenor.gif

ghibli99

Thank you :) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
It's a pretty safe bet I will. I liked Dig 1, and am currently REALLY loving Heist, and this just looks like the next natural progression in the Steamworld universe. Everything about it looks terrific.

totowhoa

Banned
Hoooly shit.

I had no idea they were working on Dig 2! SOLD! I'm so excited - what an awesome surprise, and so happy to see it reviewing well! Just five days before my 13 hour flight too :D

About how long is the game? Similar to the first?

dralla

I really enjoyed Heist but I'm not big into digging/crafting games but I still might give this a shot. How long of a game is it? There are a bunch of games I wanna play and wanna know how much of a time commitment it would be to jump into this. I've had my Switch sitting in its box since I bought it, I may finally open it for this.

I had no doubts that it would be good so it's nice to see that affirmed.

Playing the demo at PAX East was a "whew" moment. I had high expectations, and the demo met them. I look forward to buying this game.

My son also loved the first. Image & Form are fantastic.

SuomiDude

A must buy once I get Switch (for a Christmas present with my wife is the plan). I have both Steamworld Dig and Steamworld Heist and both are amazing. Dig 2 should offer tons of enjoyment.

rudger

No announcements just yet, but considering the first Steamworld Dig and Steamworld Heist got a physical twin-pack release I wouldn't put it out of the question. Maybe when/if Heist 2 comes out.

Thanks! And good point....hmmmm....well I've too much to play anyways. No harm waiting. Trying out this self restraint thing. We will see how that goes.

TheJoRu

I really enjoyed Heist but I'm not big into digging/crafting games but I still might give this a shot. How long of a game is it? There are a bunch of games I wanna play and wanna know how much of a time commitment it would be to jump into this. I've had my Switch sitting in its box since I bought it, I may finally open it for this.

This is what Nintendo Life said about it:

For our part we saw the credits with our save file clocking our run at around 6.5 hours, but the statistics showed that - despite finding the core abilities - we'd only found about a third of the 'Secrets', including collectable bits-and-bobs that you trade for upgrade blueprints. We only got a silver rank for that time, too, so the idea is clearly to encourage everyone into speedruns.

Yousefb

To those who have played it: I played the original on 3DS very briefly and though I did enjoy it, I felt it became too repetitive and did not hold my interest long enough to finish it. From the previews this sequel seems to be much more varied. Would you recommend it for someone who didn't stay long with the first? Thanks!

To those who have played it: I played the original on 3DS very briefly and though I did enjoy it, I felt it became too repetitive and did not hold my interest long enough to finish it. From the previews this sequel seems to be much more varied. Would you recommend it for someone who didn't stay long with the first? Thanks!

Yeah I think you should give it another shot with SteamWorld Dig 2. I enjoyed the first game but I can see where you're coming from with repetition. The sequel continuously introduces new and interesting ideas that build upon existing mechanics. There was never a moment where I felt fatigued or wanting to stop playing. It's of course a similar game to the original but I think it enhances the formula to the point of perfection, it's simply a marvellous game.

Fireblend

Banned

That first game was 4 hours long, 6 tops. I thought it actually was just the right length, considering it could've gotten repetitive had it been any longer.

Also, I'm surprised there are no reviews from any of the bigger outlets other than Eurogamer. and I guess NWR?

That first game was 4 hours long, 6 tops. I thought it actually was just the right length, considering it could've gotten repetitive had it been any longer.

Also, I'm surprised there are no reviews from any of the bigger outlets other than Eurogamer. and I guess NWR?

Hopefully they come soon. Would be a shame if they passed on covering such an amazing game.

Reviews for smaller titles don't seem to be a priority for many of the major sites anymore. I'm sure some of them will get around to it eventually.

Fliesen

Awesome. Not like i was expecting them to screw up. Their games were already on a great trajectory with regards to polish. It's great to see improve on the already great, but rather 'basic' first game.

Can't wait.

When do Switch eshop titles release, btw?

Davey Cakes

Man, I still have a Steam key for Steamworld Dig from an old Humble Bundle. Wonder if I should finally give that game a shot, just to introduce myself to the series.

Top Bottom