• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 Review Thread

Ravelle

Awesome. Not like i was expecting them to screw up. Their games were already on a great trajectory with regards to polish. It's great to see improve on the already great, but rather 'basic' first game.

Can't wait.

When do Switch eshop titles release, btw?

12:00 for the most part.

Well, I guess it's staying up after midnight again for me.

Grief.exe

I'm in the middle of Hollow Knight right now, so might have to check this out later since they are similar in design. Glad it's getting such positive reviews as the first is so underated.

Sigh....can we slow it down with the "must-buy" Switch games? It's getting ridiculous now.

My bank account and I aren't on speaking terms :/

MrBadger

Those are some incredibly impressive scores. I liked the concept of the first one but ended up disliking it. I'll pay closer attention to impressions when this launches

If you like Metroid you'll like this. You dig down while getting powerups and abilities to progress past obstacles and dig faster and get new ways to dig. Materials you find gives you money to purchase upgrades to be stronger, have duration for things last longer and take up less resources (steam). The first one was fantastic and the sense of power you got towards the end of the game was nothing but satisfying. And the digging was also fun. Making your own path and having to consider how that affects your movement going back to your base and moving forward is engaging (don't worry, there are checkpoints you can make and hard checkpoints to warp back and forth).
This game takes everything about the first game, fixes some issues and makes everything better.
I certainly love metroidvanias and the art style in the trailer looked gorgeous. Based on that and from what you said of the gameplay, I think I'm sold.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Our review (not directly mine):

Switchitalia.it: 8.5/10

Image & Form has been succesfull in a difficult task: keep intact their previous masterpiece feeling, without falling in the copycat trap. The sequel offers a significant leap in the audio and visual quality compartment, alongside a very refined level design. Maybe the longevity still hurts at this price point, but the steampunk universe created is simply too charming to be ignored.

blackflag

It's getting ridiculous, I think I've come close to buying more games already on the switch than I did the Wii and WiiU combined.

redcrayon

Our review (not directly mine):

Switchitalia.it: 8.5/10

Image & Form has been succesfull in a difficult task: keep intact their previous masterpiece feeling, without falling in the copycat trap. The sequel offers a significant leap in the audio and visual quality compartment, alongside a very refined level design. Maybe the longevity still hurts at this price point, but the steampunk universe created is simply too charming to be ignored.

Honestly, I think 6 hours is fine in terms of a run time for a 2D platformer, that's what Shovel Knight's campaign clocked in at initially. It encourages replays and hunting for secrets, and leaves the player wanting more rather than bored. I wish more games didn't add endless bloat just to bump up the running time, there are plenty of one hour games I replay all the time compared to 20 hour games I haven't touched again.

jariw

Honestly, I think 6 hours is fine in terms of a run time for a 2D platformer, that's what Shovel Knight's campaign clocked in at initially. It encourages replays and hunting for secrets, and leaves the player wanting more rather than bored. I wish more games didn't add endless bloat just to bump up the running time, there are plenty of one hour games I replay all the time compared to 20 hour games I haven't touched again.

FWIW, this is not a 6 hour game.

ghibli99

Definitely buying this as soon as I can. As an aside, I'm about 5 missions into Steamworld Heist, and I am just shocked in the best of ways by the quality, fun, depth, and progression found in this game. I'm playing it on PC, but would gladly -- GLADLY -- double-dip for a Switch version.

jetsetrez

I'm really looking forward to this, it looks fantastic. I loved the original, and I really enjoyed Steamworld Heist as well. Image and Form is one of the best small developers out there.

This game might get a higher metascore than the new Metroid 3DS game.
I would be surprised if it doesn't. This looks way better, and I have much more confidence in Image and Form than MercurySteam.

Plum

Here are some more reviews that don't seem to be in the OT:

Gaming Boulevard (9.5/10)
https://www.gamingboulevard.com/2017/09/review-steamworld-dig-2/

ntower [German] (9/10)
https://www.ntower.de/test/1640-auf-der-suche-nach-rusty/

NintendoSoup (no score)
https://nintendosoup.com/game-review-steamworld-dig-2/

AIR Entertainment ("I would rate this game a lovely 9/10.")
https://airentertainment.biz/2017/09/20/steamworld-dig-2-review-nintendo-switch/

Thanks! I'll add those to the OP now.

Strings

Is this available on the Australian eshop soon?

Looks like we have to wait for Pokken to release (noticed that Nintendo doesn't bother updating the eShop for other titles when they have one of their own things dropping later in the week). Super irritating.

Benedict

Will buy this for Vita. The first game was awesome on Vita. The graphic style and colours relly popped out on the OLED screen.

I'm really looking forward to this, it looks fantastic. I loved the original, and I really enjoyed Steamworld Heist as well. Image and Form is one of the best small developers out there.

I would be surprised if it doesn't. This looks way better, and I have much more confidence in Image and Form than MercurySteam.
Eh, no need to throw shade at MercurySteam, Samus Returns is a fantastic game, and has all the production values and polish you'd expect from a Nintendo first party title. Dig 2 looks great as well, but less people will review it so it's not surprising if the MC average ends up higher than Metroid. Not really a useful comparison, especially when both have a high MC.

Plum

Updated with two more reviews. Looks like the Open/Metacritic scores will settle around the high-80s/low-90s range when all is said and done!

Fireblend

Banned
http://tridentmedia.org/steamworld-dig-2-review/

Stumbled upon this review on Reddit. Really positive and really well written.

"Internet forums will tell you that no game is perfect, and I’m not claiming that Dig 2 is, but there’s certainly something special about this indie sequel. You can read the next 900 words as a review if you’d like, but if you’re looking for a critical analysis of Image & Form Games’ latest title then I’m sorry but this is the wrong piece for you to read. I’m going to begin this article with the verdict: You should DEFINITELY BUY SteamWorld Dig 2, and now I’ll explain why. This is less of a review. It’s a love letter."

Top Bottom