• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Access: Monster Hunter World 40 Minutes Of Gameplay

Mupod

Watched this when it was streamed. Socks couldn't hide that smirk when he got asked about subspecies...

DrArchon

Oh God, IG with analog stick camera controls looks amazing. There shouldn't be any problem getting constant triple buffs.

I'm starting to wonder if they're just going to keep the unlocked frame rate. The fluctuations aren't bothering me at all here, actually.

Mupod

I'm starting to wonder if they're just going to keep the unlocked frame rate. The fluctuations aren't bothering me at all here, actually.

I haven't exactly analyzed every MH game but they've gone with unlocked framerates more than once. MH4U on N3DS probably the most dramatic example. 3U hovered around 40 I think.

As long as the framerate holds up online on a normal PS4 I won't mind. I ended up buying a N3DS because the regular 3DS ran MH4U so poorly, so I hope it's not a repeat of that situation. Although in that case I'd just play on regular PS4 until the PC version came out.

raven777

BaggySpryCoqui.gif

IllfatedReflectingGemsbok.gif

charge blade/axe in good graphics is awesome.

So, I'm a total noob when it comes to Monster Hunter, I never played a single entry. I quickly looked at some scenes in the gameplay and it looks right up my alley. I'm very likely buying it, but can some MH fans answer a couple questions regarding these games?

1. Do they have massive micromanagement of inventory and such or do you spend most of the time fighting?

2. Combat from the video reminds me of Kingdoms Of Amalur-like action-based bonanza which is what I want from such games. Is it like that or something more tactical like The Witcher or Dark Souls?

3. Do you have to grind a lot or is progression fairly natural?

4. Can you realistically solo the game or do you need help from others in harder parts?

Thanks for anyone who may answer.

raven777

So, I'm a total noob when it comes to Monster Hunter, I never played a single entry. I quickly looked at some scenes in the gameplay and it looks right up my alley. I'm very likely buying it, but can some MH fans answer a couple questions regarding these games?

1. Do they have massive micromanagement of inventory and such or do you spend most of the time fighting?

2. Combat from the video reminds me of Kingdoms Of Amalur-like action-based bonanza which is what I want from such games. Is it like that or something more tactical like The Witcher or Dark Souls?

4. Can you realistically solo the game or do you need help from others in harder parts?

1. there is quite bunch of inventory/item management although this entry seems to have made it easier than before.

2. don't know about kingdom of amalur.. I guess it would be something like Dark Souls boss battle except a lot longer...

3. you have to grind for items to make your armor/weapons. There is no level system so you don't have to grind level.

4. you can solo all of the stuff if you are good... but you will have to try to tackle monsters many times and learn how they fight before you can kill it. For the main story you can solo everything without too much difficulty I feel.

Ridley327

1. Mainly fighting. The only major items you'll have to deal with on a consistent basis are of the healing variety.

2. Monster Hunter is a straight-up action game at its core, but it might have more of a bedfellow in Dark Souls than the other games you've mentioned, as it's really big on committing to your attack as you typically don't have a way of cancelling out of once performed. As you can tell in the various videos, however, there is a lot of depth to each weapon so that you can figure out the most ideal way to use them in any situation.

3. Recent MH titles have cut down on a lot of the repetition in terms of progressing through the ranks, though it does need to be stated that since every piece of equipment is crafted, you will need to commit yourself to the idea that you will be running a lot of the same quests in order to obtain enough parts from the monsters to be able to get the equipment that you want.

4. Perfectly doable solo, but the series has always shined brightest in multiplayer, and this entry in particular is making it easier than ever to get people together.

raven777

where did poor Barroth's body go after his tail got sliced off?!

he clipped through that rock lol.
Actually this has been one of the issues I have with MHW. Because the levels are a lot more complicated, and monsters have more interaction + having much better graphics, you notice a lot of the clipping in this game.

Monster damage and aggressiveness is kinda tame compared to older games, hope that’s just for the demo or HR monsters I wanna see GR gameplay !

Ridley327

Monster damage and aggressiveness is kinda tame compared to older games, hope that’s just for the demo or HR monsters I wanna see GR gameplay !

There was one video of someone trying unsuccessfully to fight Diablos solo, and believe me, he's the same old Diablos.

That being said, I do think that a lot of the new monsters don't seem too crazy aside from Nergigante, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to frontload a lot of the new monsters for low rank play to ease people into the game before springing high rank on them. In any event, as the videos have shown for the big guy, we're never getting Tri-level Barroth again.

Hybris

More likely it's LR AI. It's especially noticeable with diablos imo. He moves around so slowly that his animations look really weird.

Watched this when it was streamed. Socks couldn't hide that smirk when he got asked about subspecies...

I have had a few people tell me that subspecies are in, but they aren't sourcing it. Starting to actually believe it after seeing that. Really exciting as that means the monster count could go way higher than expected.

Listonosh

Looks real fun. But sucks that you have to go back to the camp to swap a weapon :/

To be fair, it's a feature we never had in previous games, so I'll take it. And going back to camp seems pretty instant outside of needing to take out your map and choosing a fast travel point.

iMerc

if your question is relating exclusively to MHW, then i can't help you too much as we're equally going by what we see in vids, but if you're interested in playing any of the other MH games then....

1. Yes & No. There is a significant amount of inventory management, and they're not very 'user friendly' the way they're organised. the first time i played MH and opened up the inventory menus, it was a 'staring at Mt.Everest right before you climb it' moment, lol. You get the hang of it really quickly though. How much time you spend fighting depend on you. i spend most of my time fighting & strategizing. inventory is second nature, really.

2. combat is def action based, but you're not going to get anywhere if you don't strategise; especially early on when you first start the game and you don't have good armour or weapons. Remember, killing these beasts requires patience. set some good traps. take advantage of the weaknesses, and watch your results change. even when you already have good weapons and armour. this isn't a button masher.

3. progress is up to you. everything you do in this game is to build up your player. yes there is 'grinding'. a fair amount, but it never feels like 'grinding' because it's just enjoyable, personally. you'll need to build up your ranks to access the more advanced (and entertaining) battles though.

4. you can solo the game (you will have companions), but it is soo much more fun playing with others. there's a reason why this series has done so well on handhelds; because the nature of these devices encourage multiplayer.

i know these are pretty generic answers, but really you get out of MH what you put in. the game isn't going to spoon feed you. if you're looking for a quick fix to entertain you for short burst, it's probably not the game for you. This series is a slow burn. really.
but once you 'get it', it's pretty damn awesome. and this ps4 iteration looks fantastic.
as far as 'accessibility' is concerned, MH is pretty 'hardcore'. at least it has been, to date. you should pick up MH3U/MH4U and MHG and compare your experience between the two styles.
the former is more traditional MH experience, while generations is a little more for "all audiences'. check them out. if you have a 3ds, their demos are DL for free.

Raide

World is one of the main games I wish had crossplay between PS4 and Xbox. Such a perfect game for it without. Damn.

he clipped through that rock lol.
Actually this has been one of the issues I have with MHW. Because the levels are a lot more complicated, and monsters have more interaction + having much better graphics, you notice a lot of the clipping in this game.

Really? I thought the poor guy fell through the world building. Least, they have plenty of time between now and then to adjust it so the clipping isn't so bad. Looks like the monster AI/ animations are pulled / imported from their old games. I am interested to see their new tech in this game!

Mupod

1. Micromanagement is definitely a thing in early game when you're still building up your supplies. For example, something you do very very often is buying potions and gathering honey to combine them into mega potions. Early game you need to do some gathering manually, but once your farm is up and running it's just some occasional maintenance.

Now, I actually like the item management, possibly from my days of soloing g-rank where every item slot is critically important. It makes it feel like you're actually preparing for a hunt, and I love being the guy who comes ready for anything. I understand if people get annoyed by item management, but like I said, in mid to late-game you're almost always just fighting unless you want to go mine or whatever. I can also say with confidence they are going to make this whole process a lot easier in World, we already know that gathering is much faster and there's ways to heal in the environment (vigor bugs).

2. Closer to Dark Souls. It depends on the weapon moveset but in general it's even more deliberate than Souls. MH isn't about doing long fancy combos, it's about doing damage to the correct part without getting greedy and getting hit. Because it can be very unforgiving if you do. Some weapons are faster/spammier than others, but this is true for all of them.

3. We don't know how World is gonna be, if it is similar to Tri's online you might need to grind to raise your hunter rank to access higher level quests.

In broader terms though, MH is very much a skill-based game so grinding won't help nearly as much as it does in say Dark Souls where you can over-level and trivialize everything. But yeah, you fight the same monsters a lot, especially if you want a full armor/weapon set from them. That's just how MH is, but unlike other games I enjoy the 'grind' because the gameplay itself is really fun.

4. You'll be able to solo if you want. I don't think there's ever been anything in the main series games that was un-soloable. You should play with GAF though.

I can't wait to finally give this series another go. I'm just glad it's finally back on the console where the first MH game released. I remember playing that for the first time ever online, I had no idea what the hell I was even doing. Never really gave the franchise a go after it move onto portables and the Wii (Never owned one)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Barely did any damage to the hunter tho.

Its a stage demo from a major trade show. These things often have stuff like God mode activated or incredibly unbalanced gear for the player or things along those lines so that they can show the game off better without having to worrying about dying and restarting.

Kinsei

Banned

1. There's quite a bit of inventory management early on but that goes away fairly quickly once you have a stockpile of items.

2. It's more tactical. If you are positioned wrong in a fight or get greedy the game will severely punish you.

3. You can make it through the game without replaying a single quest if you have the skill to do it. As it's your first MH game you'll probably need to stop and grind for weapons and armor periodically.

4. It's totally doable solo. It's more fun that way too IMO.
Barely did any damage to the hunter tho.

I wouldn't call half the health bar "barely any damage". Assuming that's the full 150 health and not just 100 health.

Surfside

Banned
There was one video of someone trying unsuccessfully to fight Diablos solo, and believe me, he's the same old Diablos.

That being said, I do think that a lot of the new monsters don't seem too crazy aside from Nergigante, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to frontload a lot of the new monsters for low rank play to ease people into the game before springing high rank on them. In any event, as the videos have shown for the big guy, we're never getting Tri-level Barroth again.

Yeah it was the same way in 4 ultimate, where in lower rank monsters were more boring too fight because their movesets were limited.

Defuser

Looks real fun. But sucks that you have to go back to the camp to swap a weapon :/

This is already a massive improvement. In the previous games, you can't even swapped out weapons in a quest, you have to quit the quest and go back to the village to swapped out the weapons.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Was a good watch. Definitely looking forward to playing this myself. Like how stuff doesn't go as planned at times lol.
"Flying in style" is a great touch to fast traveling.

Toxi

Banned
That's pretty funny. I wonder if things like the inflatable boat are the same across the board or if you can get other items and such for the Palico. Like one on a surfboard or something.
Maybe constructing boats out of monster parts?

Top Bottom