• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2, is going to be a Critical Hit, Commercial Bomb.

In short, I think The Evil Within 2 is absolutely fucked.

header.jpg

When The Evil Within 1 Launched, it did so in a console era totally different to where we are now.
The slow cross gen period, It came, a tight Japanese action Horror game, and despite its many flaws delivered something that wasn't available at the time.

This was 2014 an era where Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age inquisition were "games of the year".
(Shadow of war is another bomb in my eyes, but too boring to warrent a thread.)

But now it is 2017, the period from the end of 2016 to today is likely going to go down as one of the most fruitful of all of gaming. The generation took its time to get a foothold, but its here now.
The Landscape has changed.

This is what The Evil Within 2 is launching into.

And Bethesda are not helping, having gone into a short preview/hype cycles, with a fuck you to reviewing outlets.
It worked once for Doom and emboldened them. It didn't work for Prey.

The Evil Within 1, had the advantage of a far more pedestrian landscape, the Hype of Tango Gameworks first game, the Return of the father of Survival horror, who reinvented it with the best game of all time™, Shinji Mikami.

Even the sick artwork, and adverts were drumming up hype and discussion before release for a year.

The_Evil_Within_boxart.jpg

The Evil Within 2 has none of this.

We've also seen sequels recently, wither from the Sins of the Father Curse regardless of their inherent quality:
Titanfall 2, Watchdogs 2, punished for the issues of the preceding game. To a lesser extent Destiny 2 had a drop. Even poor Knack 2: The Knackening

The Evil Within 1, had myriad technical issues, from forced anamorphic widescreen (later an option, I actually played with it on for atmosphere) to headache inducing frame-rate, especially in the early levels, it was awful.

With the lack of hype and momentum online, to the lack of time given to outlets (SEGA Famously gave an extended period for Yakuza 0 and it paid dividends), and the issues with the first one in the mind of potential buyers, I cannot see a happy ending for this game, which might indeed be apt, but likely, not deserved.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, you can really feel the difference in expectations Bethesda has for Wolfenstein 2 and The Evil Within 2 ever since both games were revealed at E3.

The latter has been very low key in promotion and coverage versus the former.

Mind, I'm not sure Wolfenstein will knock it out of the park either, but Bethesda's behavior suggests they expect The Evil Within 2 to tank instead of just being a modest seller.

Neon Demon

Neo Member
Can't help but agree. The game seems like it's being thrown out for this date. It would obviously sell more in a January time frame.

Voke

Banned
Been waiting for hype to ramp up, but it doesn't seem like it has yet.... not a good sign. Lets hope it's good

I get why you think it will bomb commercially, I'm not sure why you think it will be a success critically. I've seen nothing but ambivilance for this game and it's predecessor from the gaming press. I want every game to be good...we'll see.

I think it will be one of the holidays best selling games. The first one did bonkers sales numbers. They are running ads on almost every twitch stream.

... when does it even come out??

Google: October 13, 2017

That soon?! Literally seen no promotion outside of the E3 trailer.

I've seen some outlets streaming Evil Within 2, so maybe they're easing up on critics for this one? Anyone know if review copies were sent out?

I'm buying it.. I'm pretty much disagreeing with everything the op said

So you think its going to sell well, but be terrible, because there are no good games out now and its super hyped, where as the original was technically competent and sold in an era of the best games of all time?

;)

Well, reaction to the first game wasn't exactly glowing, so I'm not all that surprised that excitement for the sequel is subdued. TEW is a game that tried to do both action and horror, and didn't do either one particularly well, ending up as a jumbled mess with some great ideas but woeful execution.

I'm glad the game is getting a sequel, as there was enough potential in the original that something great could come out of those ideas, but from a business standpoint it seems unwise to continue the franchise.

mjc

I'm honestly surprised that Evil Within 2 is happening to begin with, so I think it's a bonus that it even exists. Any success critically or financially is an extra bonus.

There are just an absolute glut of games being released this October (this, Mordor, South Park, Wolfenstein to name a few). I would imagine that would hamper it from the start.

Jawmuncher

I don't think it'll even be a critical hit. Probably a divisive title just like the first with maybe a little more in-favor.

Pilgrimzero

I’m hoping it’s bettet than the first game which I found almost unplayable and a huge mess story wise.

Really it can only go up.

Lanrutcon

First game was a nugget of gold coated in 14 layers of crap.

I fear the second game is being thrown into the deep end, and the deep end is filled with sharks. Sharks with better marketing and more hype.

I don't think it'll even be a critical hit. Probably a divisive title just like the first with maybe a little more in-favor.
That fully depends on how the game ends up though, I personally expect a pretty significant improvement over the original (and I did not like TEW)

Nibel

What they've shown so far looks pretty good imo

But yeah.. there hasn't been really a lot of marketing for it. I was kinda shocked when I saw that "7 days until release" image on its offical Twitter account on last Friday because in my mind the game wasn't even close to launch

Seems like streamers and outlets got their hands on it (and allowed to share some of the beginning stuff) but that's about it; super lowkey marketing which is why assume Bethesda isn't expecting much here

Maybe this being a horror game in October could help, but I kinda doubt it

I love Bethesda games but man, they drop the ball with so many of them when it comes marketing.

Prey, Doom, Dishonored etc.

xrnzaaas

I am planning to buy the game because I enjoyed TEW1, but not at launch, not because I don't believe in it being great, but because I have other titles on my plate.

Imo Bethesda should've delayed both games, Wolfenstein ain't exactly that strong as well.

Gator86

I expect it to be a middling critical success and a nuclear bomba commercially. The industry is crazy competitive right now, especially this holiday with all the new releases and people picking up consoles scrambling to grab the huge, older titles.

KingV

I think both this and wolfenstein 2 will bomb in October.

Both might have a long tail but realistically this month is a hard one to release in.

Kyoufu

When is it out?

I'm usually up to date on when video games are coming out but I have no idea about this one. Marketing has been so poor.

This is what happens when you let a western person direct a japanese game
What the hell does this mean? The director of TEW2 was a creative lead on the original. He's been a part of the team probably since it's inception. I can understand some reservations about Mikami himself not directing, but why does it matter that the guy isn't Japanese?

Top Bottom