• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suda's keynote

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
kurayami-suda51.jpg

Punk's Not Dead

Speaker: Goichi Suda (CEO, Grasshopper Manufacture Inc)
Date/Time: Friday (March 9, 2007) 2:30pm — 3:30pm
Location (room): Room 135, North Hall
Track: Game Design
Format: 60-minute Lecture
Experience Level: All

Session Description:
Creating successful games from original IP

Grasshopper is not a big company, and each member of our staff has something important to contribute to the games we make. Just like in a band, if the one of the members leaves, the product and the team is forever changed.

Game creators should be faithful to their vision and instincts, if original games are what interest them. The players in turn will respond favorably to this originality, as there's an innate desire to experience something new. There is severe stagnation in terms of game design these days however, as creators are afraid of taking risks. This talk will discuss our production style at Grasshopper, which is rooted in appreciation of our native Japanese culture and aesthetic. This is how I worked as director, game designer, and scenario writer for Killer7 and the upcoming title, No More Heroes.

moblog_adf181b7245df.jpg

Who else is excited?!?!

Killer7 was one of the best - and most overlooked - original titles of last gen.
Here's hoping No More Heroes is nothing less for the new gen!

060724_heroes.jpg

heroes26.jpg

killer7-cast.jpg

**EDITS**

New NHM GDC Trailer:
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/9807 <--- amazing. Watch, and Buy!

1Up Impressions:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3157920

IGN Impressions:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/771/771974p1.html

GameSpot Impressions:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6167200.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1

Tidbit of crazy news:
Suda 51 then announced a Grasshopper-centric gaming event taking place on April 14th, called "Hopper's." The event will feature dialogues between special guests Hideo Kojima and Shinji Mikami, as well as music by Killer 7's composer Masafumi Takada. Suda 51's parting word was the announcement of DS ports of both The Silver Case, and The Silver Case Word 25, a mobile phone offshoot of the former title. Both of these games will be text-heavy graphic-adventure games, and Suda 51 had no idea whether they would make it out in the US because of this.

farnham

Banned
update on no more heroes?

im waiting:)

hes from grasshopper Marvelous so the whole stock thinggy doesnt affect him..:D

angelfly

It's going it's going to be very interesting. I hope he shows a demonstration of NMH. Hopefully somebody will live blog it.

I was wondering about this as well. Apparently his lecture is happening between 2:30pm and 3:30pm. As I post this, it's currently 7:30am local time, so it looks like we will have to wait a while.

Anyway, here is a description of his lecture, from the official GDC website :

Punk's Not Dead

Speaker: Goichi Suda (CEO, Grasshopper Manufacture Inc)
Date/Time: Friday (March 9, 2007) 2:30pm — 3:30pm
Location (room): Room 135, North Hall
Track: Game Design
Format: 60-minute Lecture
Experience Level: All

Session Description:
Creating successful games from original IP

Grasshopper is not a big company, and each member of our staff has something important to contribute to the games we make. Just like in a band, if the one of the members leaves, the product and the team is forever changed.

Game creators should be faithful to their vision and instincts, if original games are what interest them. The players in turn will respond favorably to this originality, as there's an innate desire to experience something new. There is severe stagnation in terms of game design these days however, as creators are afraid of taking risks. This talk will discuss our production style at Grasshopper, which is rooted in appreciation of our native Japanese culture and aesthetic. This is how I worked as director, game designer, and scenario writer for Killer7 and the upcoming title, No More Heroes.

Saitou said:
Man, I hope he addresses some of his creative process behind Killer7.
unfortunately it's about creating *successful* games from original ip, not about creating *awesome and horribly overlooked* games from original ip.

John Harker

Stormbringer said:
I was wondering about this as well. Apparently his lecture is happening between 2:30pm and 3:30pm. As I post this, it's currently 7:30am local time, so it looks like we will have to wait a while.

Anyway, here is a description of his lecture, from the official GDC website :

thanks, I put that in the OP

mug

U K Narayan said:
Whoa, what? Is Grasshopper Manufacture really working on an Xbox 360 game?
He did mention the 360 over the PS3 in the realm of production costs as well.

farnham

Banned
I heard a rumor about a Suda X Kojima game

called Project S for the Wii

it was a rumor though and we havent seen anything since that popped up so i guess its not true

PleoMax

Banned
I wanna see what they are going to do on the 360. Suda said he really liked the platform and their next project was for it.

farnham said:

it was a rumor though and we havent seen anything since that popped up so i guess its not true

If I remember right, Suda recently said he couldn't comment on it. Which would at least suggest it exists.

Saitou

Banned
farnham said:

Sequel or remake of Snatcher.
Believe

Please update this thread in the future if there will be any live keynote blogs or updates.

U K Narayan said:
Whoa, what? Is Grasshopper Manufacture really working on an Xbox 360 game?
From the most recent interview of his where he mentioned the 360 title, it seemed more like he was interested in making a game for it and talking about it as being more feasible financially creating for the 360 compared to the PS3, as opposed to him actually working on a new game.

Jirotrom

I friggin loved Killer 7. I know its a little weird but it was the first game my gf watched me play in its entirety she then deemed that games could actually carry hefty storytelling.

Jirotrom said:
I friggin loved Killer 7. I know its a little weird but it was the first game my gf watched me play in its entirety she then deemed that games could actually carry hefty storytelling.

My girlfriend felt the need to go on Wikipedia after I finished it in order to know what the whole thing was about :lol

PleoMax

Banned
EternalDarko said:
Please update this thread in the future if there will be any live keynote blogs or updates.

From the most recent interview of his where he mentioned the 360 title, it seemed more like he was interested in making a game for it and talking about it as being more feasible financially creating for the 360 compared to the PS3, as opposed to him actually working on a new game.

Ahem

IGN Wii: What do you think of PS3 and Xbox 360?

Suda: I am very interested in Xbox 360. I want to develop games for Xbox 360 as soon as possible. In fact, I am planning the next project for Xbox 360. As for PS3, I don't have enough materials/topics to comment on this because there is only a small chance for us to develop for the console at this point in time.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/765/765721p2.html

Dascu

What I'd like to know, is whether he's working on a new Wii game next to No More Heroes?
He said in an IGN interview a while ago that he's working on NMH and another secret Wii project. Now more recently, he shows up saying he's planning the next project on the X360?
Does this mean he shifted that secret Wii project to X360, or is he doing both?
Some clarity on Project S or Kurayami (if he's still working on that) would be great as well.

He's planning on making the next project for the 360. He's currently making 2 games. That doesn't mean that he's actually making the 360 game, he's probably conceptualising while actually developing No More Heroes and Untitled [awesome] Game. Whatever it is though, it's sure to be one hell of a concept.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
planning doesn't mean set in stone, yo. what's the name of the ps3 game he was pitching? Didn't get anywhere with that either. Suda games aren't known for their financial success, so I think he's gonna have a hard time finding a publisher to take the hit for multi-million productions. :\

tim1138

I really hope someone liveblogs this, as interested as I was in Miyamoto's keynote yesterday, I think I'm doubly so for Suda. Good to see Killer7 get some love around these parts.

That picture was in Edge, which is probably why he's wearing an England shirt. He said he was routing for England in the world cup. Didn't do much good...

The_Jack

Mama Smurf said:
I hope he explains why he's wearing an England shirt.

Seemed like half of Japan were supporting England in 2002 (Beckham) plus the title of said keynote is Punk's Not Dead.

Plus, Killer 7 proves he's obviously a man of impeccable taste.

EternalDarko said:
Oh! OH! Be still, my heart!

John Harker

Zerodoppler said:
I hope he'll say something about his 360 project. Maybe even a screenshot? :D

As of now, there is no 360 project.

Grasshopper only has 20 people in the staff!
They can't support multiple, large-scale projects at the same time.

Hell, they had to outsource the development of Contact and are getting coding support from Spike for NMH. They only did one version of Killer7 also, Capcom ported the PS2 version themselves.

They simply don't have the manpower or resouces, they are essentially a tiny development house with a outspoken, creative director.

Kafel

Banned
John Harker said:
As of now, there is no 360 project.

Grasshopper only has 20 people in the staff!
They can't support multiple, large-scale projects at the same time.

XBLA title ?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Man, if Edge's (very cool) Japanese photographer got royalties every time the Jeux-France scan of that Suda photo was shamelessly ripped off by internet sites, he'd have bought out Nikon and be idly snapping fish-eye lens shots of the Earth from his personal low-orbit space telescope by now.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PleoMax said:
That's right, he is just planning. He is planning Kurayami for PS3 as well, planning means he can be thinking about something he might do in the long-term and might see through in the future, it does not mean he is doing that next. He told Game Informer what he's doing next:
GI: Outside of Heroes, do you have anything else in development?

Suda 51: We have another secret Wii title in development.
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200610/N06.1023.1835.33733.htm?Page=2

Top Bottom