• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suda's keynote

Terrell

Flynn said:
I forgot one thing that might be big news:

His press people passed out a sort of pamphlet for Grasshopper.

Under the heading "Principal Business Partners" were the following businesses:

Ascii Corportation
Capcom
Bandai Namco
Marvelous Interactive
Microsoft
Sega
Spike
Square Enix
This is merely a list of publishers that Grasshopper has made games for or plan to make games for. I believe that if you look at their previously-created works, you'll see every name on the list there. If you don't... then yeah, THAT would be big news.

The graphics seem to have gotten a lot better since those screenshots released a few months back which looked really bad. It's still rough but might work out in the game's benefit. I agree that the cheesy dialogue, over-dramatic music, etc. really crank up the game's style.

How much of the storyline did the Killer7 trailers show? I don't remember them showing so much gameplay footage.

EDIT: Meant to post this in the trailers thread but I guess it's fine here as well.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
I'm looking forward to the Grasshopper event. Hopefully we might learn about his "other" Wii game.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Ike said:
He also has 2 DS titles in development too, right?

Yes he does, a graphic adventure and its spin off that were both published on mobile phones or something like that. Its unknown whether or not they are coming to the states because of its heavy translation.

Ike

AlternativeUlster said:
Yes he does, a graphic adventure and its spin off that were both published on mobile phones or something like that. Its unknown whether or not they are coming to the states because of its heavy translation.
Atlus will pull through for us, in the end. They always do.

Ike

AlternativeUlster said:
I should support Atlus more and pick up Izuna and Touch Detective even though those games aren't particularly great.
Atlus just picked up Luminous Arc for a stateside release. :)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Saitou said:
Well, Kojima is appearing at Hopper's, so...

FWIW, Hopper's is the latest in an irregular string of Suda-fronted electro/punk music nights, featuring original game music and a spot of DJing from GHM musicians interspersed with conversation from Suda, Kojima, and other developers. There used to be footage from the 24 Hour Party People (lolz) event on the GHM site, but sadly no more.

So don't expect game announcements; it's more of a game culture night.

And I am so jealous.

AlternativeUlster

Moz La Punk said:
3 Wii games (of which No More Heroes is one) and 2 DS games? Man, this guy is all over Nintendo.

He is all over innovation than the most top notch graphical technology. When you have a 20 person team and can make a Wii game for much less, takes a whole let less time and will probably sell more copies on it than the other 2 than why not make only Wii and DS games? He also said that Shiggy was a god to him, too so why not pay some respects to your influences.

AlternativeUlster said:
He is all over innovation than the most top notch graphical technology. When you have a 20 person team and can make a Wii game for much less, takes a whole let less time and will probably sell more copies on it than the other 2 than why not make only Wii and DS games? He also said that Shiggy was a god to him, too so why not pay some respects to your influences.

I know man, I'm not hating. I love what he does and I also love what Nintendo does right now, so no problem. I have both DS and Wii next to the other-company stuff so I'm all for it.

Just gimme details on the other games! I bet we might get some details at this Hoppers event, although he might want to wait till No More Heroes is released...

AlternativeUlster

Moz La Punk said:
I know man, I'm not hating. I love what he does and I also love what Nintendo does right now, so no problem. I have both DS and Wii next to the other-company stuff so I'm all for it.

Just gimme details on the other games! I bet we might get some details at this Hoppers event, although he might want to wait till No More Heroes is released...

Don't worry man, I didn't think you were hating. We cool right? I don't like it when we get ugly girl 'cause you know we both better than that.

F#A#Oo

Banned
So the Wii is getting 3 Wii games from Suda!:D And the DS 2?

The guy loves Nintendo! It's good...I think he can both help his company financially grow and also be able to get his creative juices going obviously. To have 2 more Wii games on top of NMH clearly shows Nintendo is inspiring the man. :)

AlternativeUlster said:
Don't worry man, I didn't think you were hating. We cool right? I don't like it when we get ugly girl 'cause you know we both better than that.

<3

So, what do you guys expect from the other two Wii games?

reminder

Moz La Punk said:
<3

So, what do you guys expect from the other two Wii games?

I think one of them could be Kurayami. Afaik it was never officially announced for the PS3 and just a concept. Together with Suda's statement that they have no PS3 projects in development it would make sense imo.

F#A#Oo

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
Listen up Nintendo, Suda is telling you to buy Grasshopper and give them more people and more funding and Shiggy's guiding hand.

I don't know if Nintendo would want to own a studio who's output is mostly mature...

AlternativeUlster

BrodiemanTTR said:
Listen up Nintendo, Suda is telling you to buy Grasshopper and give them more people and more funding and Shiggy's guiding hand.

Imagine having Harmen Smith in Smash Bros. That would be sweet.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
btw. what`s the deal with that ea/my sims gdc presentation ?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
BrodiemanTTR said:
First parties buying developers isn't a good thing. And if Nintendo bought Grasshopper it would be the end of the world. Suda touch generation? Thinks not.

AlternativeUlster

Brobzoid said:
First parties buying developers isn't a good thing. And if Nintendo bought Grasshopper it would be the end of the world. Suda touch generation? Thinks not.

Maybe Nintendo can at least publish some of their games. That would be nice.

I don't think Grasshopper would like to make ties to a company, they seem pretty independent. The most you'll likely see is a second party agreement to only make games for Nintendo consoles with funding from Nintendo with Grasshopper/Suda retaining creative leadership over the company and their output. I wouldn't have it any other way. <3 Suda.

Neomoto

So 2 more Wii games from him, awesome wake up news ;) I'm interested in No More Heroes so it'll be very interesting to know more about his other projects.

Wiitard

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
That's number 54 on the big list of Nintendo mistakes.

Do you honestly believe that MS or Sony would want to publish Killer7 as a first party title?

There is mature and then there is Killer7. Next to K7, Halo is Barbie Horse Adventures. The damn game features masturbation, S&M and ... should I really go on?

tim1138

AlternativeUlster said:
It would also be awesome if Grasshoper was given an old Nintendo franchise to reboot like StarTropics.

I have to disagree, I'd hate to see Grasshopper go the way of Retro and not get to do anything original. What would be awesome is if Nintendo agreed to publish or finance one of his projects and gave him a huge budget to work with.

Brobzoid

tim1138 said:
I have to disagree, I'd hate to see Grasshopper go the way of Retro and not get to do anything original. What would be awesome is if Nintendo agreed to publish or finance one of his projects and gave him a huge budget to work with.

Yea, but that's so unrealistic there is no need to entertain that idea.

tim1138

Brobzoid said:
Yea, but that's so unrealistic there is no need to entertain that idea.

Likely as unrealistic as Nintendo handing Grasshopper an old franchise to reboot. But a guy can dream...

believe!

Brobzoid

If we're talking about dream-teams; I would love for GH to get together with Seeds.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
AlternativeUlster said:

Every title they've done besides Contact has been on the PS1 and PS2, including Killer7.

His games never sold well on Sony systems either, perhaps he's also just trying a new audience.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
anyone read the grasshopper page engrish description of his speach?

Suda51 appears in Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2007 taking place in
San Francisco from March 5th as a speaker. (http://japan.gdconf.com/)

The speech is held on March 9th at 14:30-15:30 (local time). The theme
of his speech is "Punk is not dead". His speech about a game design
explodes hot!

http://www.grasshopper.co.jp/wnew/archives/2007/03/index.html

you can also now download the mp3 for 8 bucks now

http://store.cmpgame.com/product.php?id=2019&cat=

Top Bottom