• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Playground coming to Wii- "Wii Sports inspired"

Dhx

Looks goofy, but to it's all going to boil down to how responsive and immersive the control is.

I'm very skeptical.

NewLib

Banned
No, but this is obviously trying to catch on to the trend started by Wii Sports. It is also obviously aimed towards kids.

Thus it is Wii Sports for Kids.

Bildi

Zero anticipation. Although I was playing Wii Play last night and quite enjoying it so I'm not averse to the general idea.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Sweet. Should easily surpass Wii Sports in entertainment and replayability... too bad it wont sell as much.

DarkhawkX said:
Looks goofy, but to it's all going to boil down to how responsive and immersive the control is.

I'm very skeptical.

i hear ya but they mentioned a dodge ball game. that could be really fun if done right.

"On Wii, there's a mix of games that cover frantic actions mapped to gestures (e.g. throwing and dodging in Dodge Ball)"

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
do_not_want.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I expect it to do as well as Big Brain Academy, it won't be as popular as the game with an art style that appeals to a small audience.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
goldenticket said:
i hear ya but they mentioned a dodge ball game. that could be really fun if done right.

"On Wii, there's a mix of games that cover frantic actions mapped to gestures (e.g. throwing and dodging in Dodge Ball)"

Yeah, dodgeball caught my eye. Could be fun. I guess its good news that EA continues to break out new stuff for the Wii (trying to be optimistic).

EA said:
I personally think that multiplayer parties are the ideal way to play EA Playground. Whether you do four-player local parties on the Wii or wireless sessions on the DS, you'll find that all games are multiplayer supported and that frantic simultaneous play is the order of the day.

Superior DS version confirmed.

I wonder what games are on there besides dodgeball, tetherball, and RC racing. Oh, and this WILL sell 2 million copies on Wii.

Not really for me but my kids would probably love it. The trouble is that this will probably be released at full price ($99 AU) which is unacceptable.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The Good- this is now EA's third Nintendo exclusive game to be announced (4th if you count SSX)

The Bad- They all seem to be relatively kiddie inspired. (at least the artstyle).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Why the long faces? Wii Sports is the best selling game for the system, makes sense to rip it.

Haunted

Tellaerin said:
ea-playground-20070501042446690.jpg

Man, those are some fugly-ass kids.
Bad Art!

edit: well, they specifically state that it's aimed at children, so I won't judge it too harshly. If it's healthy fun for the kids, I'm all for it.

Eteric Rice

Kintaro said:
Why the long faces? Wii Sports is the best selling game for the system, makes sense to rip it.

Wii Sports is a simple, clean looking game. This looks like one of those shitty American cartoons from the 90s.

I mean they're not even trying anymore.

Haunted

Kintaro said:
Wii Sports aims at everyone, this one is specifically aimed at children. Major difference, imo.

NewLib

Banned
Chittagong said:
Wii Sports is Wii Sports for Kids

Im pretty sure Wii Sports appeals to a broader base than just kids since its seem to be one of the main reasons adults are getting hooked with the Wii.

This game appeals to no one else but kids.

Bildi

Bearillusion said:
Not really for me but my kids would probably love it. The trouble is that this will probably be released at full price ($99 AU) which is unacceptable.
From the interview it does seem squarely aimed at kids. Which makes the price an even bigger problem when Wii Sports is free (outside Japan) and Wii Play is virtually free.

And why bother making games specifically for kids anyway? Seems like a waste of time since kids mostly play the same games adults do unless they are REALLY young (like 3 or something).

PkunkFury

at least there is a single player campaign. Sounds like a GTA sandbox style game where the challanges are mini-game contests, since they mention a plaground to explore and collectibles for completeing dare missions. They also mention being able to select rule sets for games, which is something Wii Sports could have used. It'd be nice if they made it online, but I suppose they won't considering the target audience

Deepblue

Banned
Does anyone else think it's ironic that Wii Sports et all. will actually drive Kids AWAY from the playground as they find they can play on the playground without leaving the couch?

basik

Looks like a good idea to me, if its fun I predict a million seller. Parents will buy it for their kids. I just hope we get more Wii stuff like godfather from EA, even if they are ports.

StevieP

Banned
Wii Sports is Wii Sports for Kids

troll.jpg

KLoNe said:
EA is just bursting with tonnes of great NEW ideas these days!

Good for them for trying to be original (I guess that's one of the advantages of low dev costs on the Wii) but... with this? At least improve the art/visuals and add some WC24 support, as it stands right now, if I had kids, I wouldn't feed them this.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
dammitmattt said:
Ummmmmm

*Looks at Wii, looks at Wii Sports, realizes it came with the Wii

Huh?

Sorry, was thinking the JP Sales. But a case could be made that people have bought the system for the purpose of playing Wii Sports. Either way, it applies.

Haunted

Deepblue said:
Does anyone else think it's ironic that Wii Sports et all. will actually drive Kids AWAY from the playground as they find they can play on the playground without leaving the couch?
heh.

To answer this seriously, I really hope it won't. Playing videogames (regardless if it's Wii, DDR, Eyetoy etc.) should never replace proper exercise/outdoor activities for children.

Swinging the wiimote in Wii Tennis shouldn't replace swinging a real tennis racquet, it should replace pressing one button to simulate swinging a racquet (if anything).

Deepblue

Banned
Haunted One said:
heh.

To answer this seriously, I really hope it won't. Playing videogames (regardless if it's Wii, DDR, Eyetoy etc.) should never replace proper exercise/outdoor activities for children.

Swinging the wiimote in Wii Tennis shouldn't replace swinging a real tennis racquet, it should replace pressing one button to simulate swinging a racquet (if anything).

So why do we have sports games again?

Haunted

Deepblue said:
So why do we have sports games again?
Not for children to play those when they could go outside and do the real sport instead, that's for sure. (at least that was the point I was trying to make. :p )

Reasonable excuses may include late time of day, too-elaborate-to-set-up sports or bad weather. :D

KiNeSiS

Banned
This game looks to have very Wii-k Graphics. As much as I want A Wii I know developers can do much better than this!

Chumly

WTF EA. Its sounds like a neat idea but from what they are saying they are going ALL OUT kiddie. Hell they should have just made a Wii sports clone and I would have been happy.

Top Bottom