• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Playground coming to Wii- "Wii Sports inspired"

The thing that annoys me is that they say the game is "Wii Sports inspired" and in doing so clearly show no knowledge of who Wii Sports is aiming for. The thing about the game is that Nintendo was intentionally going for a simple style but no necassarily aiming it at children. EA, for some reason, took simple style+bright colors as aiming at children and kids, when they should have instead made a game aimed at all people

Chao

Haunted One said:
The haters, I guess. :(

Man, Mickey's Magical Mirror was for kids and that's waaaaaay better than this.
Children aren't stupid, when we were 8 we knew what good or bad graphics looked like.

turk128

Chao said:
Children aren't stupid, when we were 8 we knew what good or bad graphics looked like.
This really doesn't explain why Bionicle is so popular.

The day after major third party publishers stereotype a console, you know what kind of theme to look forward to for the rest of that consoles lifespan.

The Wii and 360 audiences have been defined by 50-ish CEO's who probably aren't avid gamers in the first place. It is like having your dad make decisions influencing the future look of your hobby.

Banned
What horrible art style...

Someone, hopefully nintendo, please just make...

WII SPORTS + ONLINE PLAY & LEADERBOARDS + MORE PLAY DEPTH & TOURNAMENTS = WIN

this looks gross...

fresquito said:
What I don't seem to understand is why third parties are trying to compete in Nintendo's strongest ground instead of trying to find their own market outside the tyipcal Nintendo offering.

That's why I made a thread wondering where the realistic racers are for Nintendo platforms. Ok PGR2 apparently isn't considered realistic in the true sense but surely there is market for a PGR2 type game on Wii.

Haunted

Chao said:
small children don't care what their games look like. I'm serious. My gf's brother is 7 and the last time I saw him he played some shovelware Aladdin game on his father's laptop with a 320x240 resolution and enjoyed himself tremendously.

I shook my head, intervened, changed the res to 1024x in the options: of course, everything looked cleaner, sharper and much better immediately. I asked him 'now, isn't that better?' and he just looked at me with a puzzled look on his face. He didn't see a difference at all (or if he did, he didn't care that it looked different/better than before).

*shrugs*

I'm not condoning that the game looks like ass, but I don't really care either way. I'd rather have EA put their resources into the games I am going to play.
I'm a selfish prick.
:lol

Ryuuga

Banned
I guess if they're able to pass these visuals off nowadays, then I'll be the first to request a port or sequel of MicroManiacs Racing.

Dalauz

When i was 8 i liked robocop movies instead of disney stuff. Now, 27 years old, i like disney.

im kinda weird :(

TigersFan

1-D_FTW said:
Which is what?

As someone with a couple of young nephews, this is a game I know they'd eat up.

It's obviously targeted at a young demographic (as evidenced by the title) and looks a TON better (content) than 99 percent of the games targeting them.

I have to give EA props on this. EA has well earned my hatred of them, but this is another good decision they're showing. It's unique, leverages the system, and has a well thought out demographic.

And I personally approve of the graphics. Are you guys playing different Wii games than me? The graphics in general suck. If you've got a large screen HDTV, cell shading/stylistic games are mandatory to tone down the horror. I think EA staff must by and large have big HDTVs, because they're smartly recognizing that stylized graphics are mandatory on Wii whenever possible.
This is one area where I wish more publishers would take a nod from Disney/Pixar. Those movies are great for kids, but provide something for adults too. They need to make games that can be played by whole families together, and that aren't targeted at just one small demographic. Otherwise you're just making a virtual baby sitter.

stilgar

Chao said:

Absolutely true.
These graphics are incredibly ugly, it's very different from childish, or even just simplistic.

Does EA consider children have no eyes ??

No6

TigersFan said:
This is one area where I wish more publishers would take a nod from Disney/Pixar. Those movies are great for kids, but provide something for adults too. They need to make games that can be played by whole families together, and that aren't targeted at just one small demographic. Otherwise you're just making a virtual baby sitter.
The problem is that kids don't have nearly the manual dexterity of adults, so you'd need to figure out some gimmick that both groups can stand for more than 10 minutes, and if your gimmick only works if a family plays together, then you've just severely limited your potential market.

Plus, asking why everyone can't be Disney/Pixar is like asking why every game development house isn't staffed with some sort of Will Wright-Sid Meier-Gandhi Jesus clone.

Right, the problem with this - aside from the graphics - is that they went for a limited demographic. And really, why not make a Wii Sports ripoff that everyone is interested in playing? It just seemes like EA is throwing away potential money and playing into that tired "it'll only sell if it's for kids on Nintendo" thing.

GCQuinton said:
Not to mention half the folks here will forget the PS2 version even existed and find a way to rationalize it like every other port the Wii has.

let's not forget the cadre of elites that will have a joyful glee at the thought of the Wii continually getting ports because their choice console X continues to get beat by a console without the super duper HD graphics that define gaming for them!

hyp

EA should've just implemented miis into their game. it would've been an easy sell (wii sports with different playground sports).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
hyp said:
EA should've just implemented miis into their game. it would've been an easy sell (wii sports with different playground sports).
It's not a bad idea, but unfortunately, it's also something which Nintendo is preventing.

GameGamer

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
The day after major third party publishers stereotype a console, you know what kind of theme to look forward to for the rest of that consoles lifespan.

The Wii and 360 audiences have been defined by 50-ish CEO's who probably aren't avid gamers in the first place. It is like having your dad make decisions influencing the future look of your hobby.

They really are 2 different fields.

The execs I know I could never consider actual hard gamers. Most are very casual and would rather have dinner, drinks, and talk, instead of gaming.

It's probably going to stay like that because in my experience, the talent doesn't like doing hard business. And sometimes they're just plain bad at it even when they try.

So a lot of projects are going to get green lit because there is some prior example of success.

This is a fine business example of: people like (and understand) Wii Sports so lets see what we can do with the idea.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
dark10x said:
It's not a bad idea, but unfortunately, it's also something which Nintendo is preventing.

Sega is using them in their pachinko game. There was a quote from an EA guy that said something like Nintendo had not provided the tools to use Miis for third parties yet.

1-D_FTW

No6 said:
The problem is that kids don't have nearly the manual dexterity of adults, so you'd need to figure out some gimmick that both groups can stand for more than 10 minutes, and if your gimmick only works if a family plays together, then you've just severely limited your potential market.

Plus, asking why everyone can't be Disney/Pixar is like asking why every game development house isn't staffed with some sort of Will Wright-Sid Meier-Gandhi Jesus clone.

Agreed.

And I would say Nintendo is a lot like Pixar. Their games generally do have a huge demographic.

But most movies aren't like Pixar either. Hollywood is generally a slave to demographic slotting and most children's movies are mind numbing if you're an adult.

EA is just looking at things like the Backyard Sports series, and doing their own take on it. It's just because it's a major publisher and a Nintendo exclusive that people are getting upset it's not something grander.

I'd wager to bet EA is gonna make a really nice profit on this.

Should that concern me? No. I guess I'm just mildly amused people are getting upset over something that fills an obvious need: Semi-quality games that young uns' can play and won't suck at. EDIT: And that Mom can easily pick out from the cover art and title.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I wasn't going to post in here because I don't care about the game at all but some EA people might be reading so I'll tell them what I think.

This has bad art, bad graphics, and is aimed only at children. Wii Sports has simplistic art simple graphics and is aimed at everyone. This isn't inspired by Wii Sports beyond the concept of different simple games being on one disc. After that they limit the userbase only to children and the sales will reflect that. They might be anticipating low sales though, considering they put almost no effort into the games looks.

This and Boogie show that EA don't "get it" when they consider creating new content for the Wii.

Those are the ugliest kids I have ever seen. What made EA think kids would want to look at crap like th-. . . oh yeah, Nickelodeon. I'm just suprised they didn't make the game in flash. Actually, it'd probably look better if they did. Back in the day we had awesome cartoons like TMNT, Thunder Cats, Voltron, He-man, Looney Toons, Hannah-Barbara Cartoons, etc. WHAT HAPPENED? =( At what point did children begin to enjoy looking at crap?

Fairly Odd Parents is the only good cartoon on Nickelodeon.

Eteric Rice

superbank said:
I wasn't going to post in here because I don't care about the game at all but some EA people might be reading so I'll tell them what I think.

This has bad art, bad graphics, and is aimed only at children. Wii Sports has simplistic art simple graphics and is aimed at everyone. This isn't inspired by Wii Sports beyond the concept of different simple games being on one disc. After that they limit the userbase only to children and the sales will reflect that. They might be anticipating low sales though, considering they put almost no effort into the games looks.

This and Boogie show that EA don't "get it" when they consider creating new content for the Wii.

Indeed, they need to hire me. :)

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
superbank said:

You stole my words from my mind. When I saw for the first time Mysims I was like "OMFG! EA doing it right!" and then Boogie and this shit...

EA, this is the right direction ->

EA-MySims-2.jpg

EA-MySims-3.jpg

EA-MySims-5.jpg

Eteric Rice

tanasten said:
You stole my words from my mind. When I saw for the first time Mysims I was like "OMFG! EA doing it right!" and then Boogie and this shit...

EA, this is the right direction ->

EA-MySims-3.jpg

Is that girl in the lower left getting raped?

Yet another example of a third-party jumping on the wii bandwagon and trying to get out as many games as quick as possible, regardless of quality or originality.

I just hope this isn't a trend that will continue for much longer.

stewacide

Putting aside this particular effort (which looks like a turd)...

There really is a market for a "Wii Sports" game for children, since in my experience (w/ little cousins over and whatnot) kids don't have the attention span or co-ordination for Wii Sports except the Boxing (where they can just go nuts).

A "Wii Sports" for kids should be less about skill and timing, and more just about manic movement.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
somesayyea said:
Yet another example of a third-party jumping on the wii bandwagon and trying to get out as many games as quick as possible, regardless of quality or originality.

I just hope this isn't a trend that will continue for much longer.

No, at this pace thirds will go bankruptcy and all those weird games will be gone. CAn't wait for it!

Eteric Rice said:
Konami seems to be the only ones trying. Definately going to support them, too. Dewy's looks like awesome fun. :)

It seems. Where are impressions?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159291

The gist: despite Playground's multiplayer atmosphere, neither the Wii or DS version will be sporting any form of Internet multiplayer. Guess multiplayer sticker-trading is going to be an ad-hoc only affair.

This decision seems extremely puzzling, considering the title's strong emphasis on a simultaneous "pick-up-and play" multiplayer experience. Perhaps the kid-focused content carries with it a zero-tolerance policy for Internet abuse, but isn't that what friend codes are supposed to be for? At the end of the day, the whole thing seems to be just one more strike against any concept of a real robust online gaming experience on a Nintendo platform.

GDGF

Soothsayer
1up said:
At the end of the day, the whole thing seems to be just one more strike against any concept of a real robust online gaming experience on a Nintendo platform.

And if this title was online it would have made all the difference? A crap game is a crap game. No real reason to use it as the end all be all quallifier in Nintendo's online equation.

Top Bottom