• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Playground coming to Wii- "Wii Sports inspired"

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm not interested but it is one of those moments when we can't overlook that crap like this and the other recent exclusives are EA's way of acknowledging Nintendo's recent successes.

Polari

a Master Ninja said:
If the shadows in your game are going to look that bad, you should probably just leave them out.

ea-playground-20070501042447409.jpg

Those are shadows? :lol :lol :lol

Good god, EA.

JDSN

Banned
Looks like shit, but the fact that there will be meltdowns when this sells its first million almost justifies its existence.

I think the one thing to take note is its another exclusive
Another exclusive from EA. If EA are working on all this stuff I'd expect other dev’s are too.

VerTiGo

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
EA has some good teams, and we've seen games from their A teams before.

This is their Z team.

The screwed up thing is that their Wii efforts so far have been really promising. Then they go ahead and pull some shit like this... WTF.

StevieP

Banned
VerTiGo said:
The screwed up thing is that their Wii efforts so far have been really promising. Then they go ahead and pull some shit like this... WTF.

To be fair, it's for the kids. Not us. And after the joy that was their Godfather port and the promise of Boogey, I think I'd be willing to let some horrible art slip on what looks to be EA-made original shovelware.

johnyqd

Art director = Roger Rabbit reject? The characters definitely remind me of some Nickelodeon cartoon that insults and mocks the idea of Saturday morning television enjoyment from my childhood.

On the other hand, dodgeball and even tetherball on my Wii = YES. If the controls manage to capture 90% of the simplicity and accuracy found on most of the Wii Sports games this will be in my collection.

And yours, you just won't admit it. I'll learn to play with my eyes closed like that scary guy on the other thread playing SMB 1-1 on DS. And I'll smack you (or maybe my plasma TV) between the eyes with my insane (aka screen destroying) throwing ability (really ought to replace that 1st gen wrist strap).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I really, really hope these are early, almost proof of concept screenshots, because if they are not, well, EA have been developing possibly the worst looking game since around 2000, seriously horrific looking game.

Also, a note to all saying "it's not aimed for us, but for kids, so it's ok" remember that kids have eyes too, this game in its current state should carry a health warning, it looks that bad.

Edit: N.B Lets hope against hope that someone at EA gets the memo that MySims style avatars for this game would work, so well, and the current stlye, does not, at all.

maxmars

Stop It said:
Also, a note to all saying "it's not aimed for us, but for kids, so it's ok" remember that kids have eyes too, this game in its current state should carry a health warning, it looks that bad.

In my experience, kids can be hard to please in that regard. If the game is a tie-in they may play make-believe with character representation, but in no way they'll excuse poor graphics (my 5 yo was offended by cooking mama).

If anything, aestethics are something that _can_ be judged by kids as their little experience of the world and critical capabilities do not allow them much more than that.

Nintaiyo

Honestly...what is EA thinking? They'd be better off not releasing any screens at all instead of that crap, and if the game will still look that bad when it's released, they shouldn't even bother. Even a 5 year old, the demographic which this game is targeted towards, could tell that it looks like crap. For the first time this gen you disappoint me EA. Madden, Godfather, and Blur have been cool. Boogie and My Sims look promising, but I've played flash games online that look better than this.

Hopefully they spruce up the graphics, get the controls right, and add online support. Wii Sports is huge. Expanding on the idea is a no-brainer. There's tons of potential here, but it looks disappointing so far. Then again, we've hardly heard anything. Let's just hope that these screens are of the game in its utmost infancy.

Neomoto

Well at the very least they are announcing exclusive new IP's. The concept could be fun for kids, but I agree that they need to make the graphics cleaner. If they made it look like MySims that would be good enough.

jimbo

Banned
That's soo EA. Copy the most popular game and milk the system for cash. I expect other third party developers to follow this trend.

Salazar

Medieval tournament on Wii, please. Slap some helmets on the ugly kids and roll out the jousting, archery and sword-fighting (single combat and melee). Let me customise a knight and take him online. It's a better place to take the sports preoccupation than this playground gear.

Kafel

Banned
What's great with this game is that it targets the same public than Mario vs Sonic, which will be released on DS and Wii, at the same period.

Because EA doesn't even try, they will learn a hard lesson.

fresquito

What I don't seem to understand is why third parties are trying to compete in Nintendo's strongest ground instead of trying to find their own market outside the tyipcal Nintendo offering. I mean, why would you want to compete against Nintendo when you can offer totally different games that will cater to a difference audience, thus having a chance of not being beaten to a pupl by the big N.

If third parties tried to create an audience among Wii owners, I'm pretty sure they'd see the profits, but they insist in competing with Nintendo face to face, and none can win at that in a Nintendo console.

thefro

The game has potential if done right, but it's got some of the worst character art ever. It'd look pretty good with MySims type graphics (and not any less "kiddie").

CaVaYeRo

I don't think the art is bad. I mean, I don't like it, but it's something like the new cartoon series my 10 years brother uses to watch... it's the new "ugly kids style".

and yes, I think it's a smart move.

Chao

Oh god, how in the hell are we still getting this visually-worse-than-pstwo-launch games. I don't get it, even I could do better with my basic skills on 3Dsmax, no kidding.

Nintendo, WTF, ban this shit (and ban DK bongo super party or whatever its name is).

----

Just for great justice:

revolt_screen001.jpg

RE-VOLT (you remember that game, right?)

ea-playground-20070501042447409.jpg

RE-INCARNATION OF HITLER (aka EA Playground)

Wow, this game looks horrible, even though I like the sound of it, this is simply unacceptable. Bad art + graphics = terrible combo.

I can't believe how terrible Wii developers have been so far. It's a big shame.

sp0rsk said:
Yet again, 3rd parties seem to be missing the point.

1-D_FTW

sp0rsk said:
Yet again, 3rd parties seem to be missing the point.

Which is what?

As someone with a couple of young nephews, this is a game I know they'd eat up.

It's obviously targeted at a young demographic (as evidenced by the title) and looks a TON better (content) than 99 percent of the games targeting them.

I have to give EA props on this. EA has well earned my hatred of them, but this is another good decision they're showing. It's unique, leverages the system, and has a well thought out demographic.

And I personally approve of the graphics. Are you guys playing different Wii games than me? The graphics in general suck. If you've got a large screen HDTV, cell shading/stylistic games are mandatory to tone down the horror. I think EA staff must by and large have big HDTVs, because they're smartly recognizing that stylized graphics are mandatory on Wii whenever possible.

[Nintex]

holy shit calm down you don't have to buy this game, its for children(who usually buy this crap) just enjoy The Godfather, SSXblur and the other EA stuff. Jeez.
**** this game, Graphics on Wii hit a new low :|

edit: I want a Revolt Sequel

Top Bottom