• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Playground coming to Wii- "Wii Sports inspired"

Xristot

KiNeSiS said:
This game looks to have very Wii-k Graphics. As much as I want A Wii I know developers can do much better than this!

yeah, I mean, boogie looks way better than this. Why not use that engine? Or, I think if they used the mysims engine, they may as well have allowed you to use your created sims to play in this game instead. That would have been much better than these hideous kids.

Stupid.

Dilbert

Maybe there will be a game where you are the schoolyard bully, and you can make a punching motion with the Wiimote to beat someone down and take their lunch money.

-jinx- said:
Maybe there will be a game where you are the schoolyard bully, and you can make a punching motion with the Wiimote to beat someone down and take their lunch money.

Don't give Rockstar any ideas, the Wii has got enough ports as is.

GCQuinton

jaundicejuice said:

Not to mention half the folks here will forget the PS2 version even existed and find a way to rationalize it like every other port the Wii has.

As for EA Playground, until I see more of it I can't really go either way.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Ah! There's the old EA we all know and love. I was worried they might be trying to turn over a new leaf

It could be great if I didn't have to stomach the super happy kiddy theme. Why can't we have some more fun games with an adult theme? There is an excess of kiddy that really is unnecessary considering the diverse group of Wii users. The whole point of the system is not to pigeonwhole us into one market segment because you're missing out on potential consumers. Stupid third parties.

This EA game looks like shit. Even kids might cry when they see how freakishly ghastly and nightmarish the character models are. But at leas they are trying, instead of recycling the same crap over and over with the niche HD consoles.

But still, how can the same publisher crank out the ridiculously cute MySims and come out with these malnourished looking characters? Thankfully, Tiger Woods is doing really well and EA won't be tempted to do all out kiddy on the Wii.

Chittagong said:
Wii Sports is Wii Sports for Kids

Thank god that it might end up as one of the best selling game of all time(20M+) because people are apparently willing to pay $250 to play it.

jaundicejuice said:

If it's done as well as Godfather, I'll buy the Wii definitive version.

FightyF

Banned
Ranger X said:
I'm starting to really believe that there will be too many mini-games games on the Wii.

:(

Think of it this way...it was popularized by Nintendo, and 3rd parties will attempt to duplicate the same success. Once Mario Galaxy becomes a hit, other 3rd parties will follow suite with their own MG-ish games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Dragona Akehi said:
Dear EA.

Your game is HIDEOS.

Use the MySims models instead. You're welcome.

~D

PS: You can send the cheque to the regular place.
Different studio, this is likely being done by one of the many talentless teams at EA Canada, they should stick to PSP ports imo.

Dragona Akehi said:
Dear EA.

Your game is HIDEOS.

Use the MySims models instead. You're welcome.

~D

PS: You can send the cheque to the regular place.

Seriously are they brain dead? MySims Sports would have worked better and get a purchase from me

jj984jj said:
Different studio, this is likely being done by one of the many talentless teams at EA Canada, they should stick to PSP ports imo.

File > Import > MySims Folder > Copy > Paste > ??? > Profit

There I did all the work for them.

NewLib said:
No, but this is obviously trying to catch on to the trend started by Wii Sports. It is also obviously aimed towards kids.

Thus it is Wii Sports for Kids.

Well if you want to be like that, then aren't all "games" "for kids"?

And the graphics aren't blowing anyone away, but I like the caricatured style of the kids. Much better than the usual EA style of trying to be photorealistic but just looking stiff and false. This is going along more of a Psychonauts art style and it works better. Lets hope the games are fun.

smartestpersonever said:
Well if you want to be like that, then aren't all "games" "for kids"?

And the graphics aren't blowing anyone away, but I like the caricatured style of the kids. Much better than the usual EA style of trying to be photorealistic but just looking stiff and false. This is going along more of a Psychonauts art style and it works better. Lets hope the games are fun.

Most games are for anyone that wants to play them but some games are directly targeted at kids… this one seems directly targeted at kids. However, it still may be fun to play as a ‘kids game’ does not automatically mean a bad one.

One thing I've noticed is that I think 3rd parties are needlessly alienating a lot of customers by making their games overly 'kiddie'. Games like Dewey, Treasure Island, and now this are almost excessively 'cute', thereby alienating a lot of older gamers. But I think part of the success of games like Wii Sports is that, while it is cartoony, it's nevertheless an art style that generally appeals to all ages. The art style is more quirky/funny, clean and simple, than kiddie.

Krowley

chibcicylist said:
This EA game looks like shit. Even kids might cry when they see how freakishly ghastly and nightmarish the character models are.

It's like you were printing words right out of my brain.

They look like satanic imps fresh from the vilest pit of hell.

edit// this game should be rated M to protect the young people.

Ree

Banned
I just wanted to point out that the word "playground" Really speaks to me as a mature gamer. Alternatively, it could be shortened into a 5 letter word starting with the word "k". See if you can guess what it is. :)

Krowley

soothsayer said:
One thing I've noticed is that I think 3rd parties are needlessly alienating a lot of customers by making their games overly 'kiddie'. Games like Dewey, Treasure Island, and now this are almost excessively 'cute', thereby alienating a lot of older gamers. But I think part of the success of games like Wii Sports is that, while it is cartoony, it's nevertheless an art style that generally appeals to all ages. The art style is more quirky/funny, clean and simple, than kiddie.

I don't think treasure island alienates anybody... That game just looks good.. Dewy might be a little bit alienating but it has tremendous graphics and it seems like it will be fun.

This game is in a whole other catagory. It's not the kiddy thing, it's just nasty and frightening.

Dragona Akehi said:

Yeah, using the Mysims models as a sort of mascot for thier Wii games would have done more to increase thier mindshare with the Wii userbase. They probably will once MySims sells 2 million plus copies.

soothsayer said:
But I think part of the success of games like Wii Sports is that, while it is cartoony, it's nevertheless an art style that generally appeals to all ages. The art style is more quirky/funny, clean and simple, than kiddie.

Exactly. It's why the Mii, with a second look, is actually a genius idea executed excessively well. There is just something about them, almost subtle soul eating. In a good way.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
PkunkFury said:
and people say Wii Sports has bad GFX :/
EtericRice said:
This looks like one of those shitty American cartoons from the 90s.
kylej said:
Jesus christ it looks freaking terrible.
Polari said:
Looks vile.
whoa whoa whoa wait

Aren't you the people to first harp on others for not juding Wii games for their graphics?

Gameplay is king, gameplay > graphics, and all that crap?

Why the sudden turn around.
Kintaro said:
Why the long faces? Wii Sports is the best selling game for the system, makes sense to rip it.
Exactly.

When you and your gramma and whoever else made the Wii the best selling system, you were telling Nintendo and EA and everyone else to make more games of this nature. So that's exactly what you're getting. Why is it a problem now?

joesmokey

I'm sure they'd actually use 3d Miis if Nintendo let them (I still think that whole rumor bit is true).

Anyway, obviously this game isn't marketed to most of us reading on GAF, but they have their work cut out for them to make sure the controls are natural. Everyone knows these games like the back of their hand and EA better make sure the motions are accurate.

dog$ said:
whoa whoa whoa wait

Aren't you the people to first harp on others for not juding Wii games for their graphics?

Why the sudden turn around.Exactly.

When you and your gramma and whoever else made the Wii the best selling system, you were telling Nintendo and EA and everyone else to make more games of this nature. So that's exactly what you're getting. Why is it a problem now?

Art style and great art direction goes a long way. Try harder though.

pilonv1

Dragona Akehi said:

This is EA.

Release EA Playground > ??? > Profit > File > Import > MySims Folder > Release My Sims Playground 12 months later > ??? > Profit more.

Krowley

dog$ said:
whoa whoa whoa wait

Why the sudden turn around.Exactly.

It's not the graphics as much as the artstyle. The graphics are bad, but the artstyle is worse.

there is no indication from those screens that this will have ANY element of quality. Wii sports wasn't fancy but it has a clean and vibrant look. The style is also innovative because it's not imposin and it doesn't run people off. It's got a mild sort of generic look that appeals to people.

Games that are just plain ugly are usually also bad in the gameplay department because it tends to reflect an overall sense of neglect for the whole game.

bdoughty

Banned
jj984jj said:

Well EA Canada did bring us MVP Baseball, NBA Street and the earlier Fight Nights so they have a little talent up there.

Of course they also bring us NBA Live 07 and 4,000 next gen versions of Fifa/UEFA that are pretty content limited.

Hot or miss it seems.

PkunkFury

dog$ said:

Not me, while I like the Wii because of the controller, it doesn't mean I want to play games that look like ass. I'm not daft enough to claim all Wii games look like crap because it's inferior tech like some poeple here, if that's what you're harping me for.

This game a clear case of hideous art direction. Seems they are going for a Rugrats/Rocket Power style which some kids somewhere must like, but I've never been a fan. Beyond that, I like the shot of the full playground, with its soft cel shaded look. It's just the avatars that bug me, and it's only one shot of an early build so perhaps they don't look so bad when things are said and done

box-l.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
They've said who their target audience is with this game, and it's not anyone on this forum. Who cares?

grandjedi6 said:
Ha! So they were trying to trick us into thinking this was an original game

So is this really the same shit?

If it's a port, I can call it a cash-in instead of wasted potential of a design team. I want to see more EXPLORATION of the Wii's abilities. I could care less either way about a port.

AdmiralViscen said:
So is this really the same shit?

If it's a port, I can call it a cash-in instead of wasted potential of a design team. I want to see more EXPLORATION of the Wii's abilities. I could care less either way about a port.

same shit different company

Top Bottom