• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Stardust HD Thread (my eyes burn from the amazing!)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh yes, this game is just plain awesome. I think we have our PSN GOTY right here.

stardust1.jpg

Platform: PS3 (Games for Playstation Network)
Release: Out now in NA
Price: $9.99
Players: 1-2 player local co-op, online leaderboards

The Trophy List. (17 trophies available)

trophybronze.png

trophybronzem.png
Hero of Lave

Complete planet Lave
trophybronzem.png
Hero of Coventina

Complete planet Coventina
trophybronzem.png
Hero of Nemain

Complete planet Nemain
trophybronzem.png
Hero of Taranis

Complete planet Taranis
trophybronzem.png
Hero of Segomo

Complete planet Segomo
trophybronzem.png
The Tokenizer

Collect 5 tokens with a single boost in Arcade
trophybronzem.png
Scrooge MacBoom

Get 10 bombs in Arcade
trophybronzem.png
Extra Ships Optional

Survive 7 minutes without dying in Endless
trophybronzem.png
Close Encounters

Survive 45 seconds without shooting or using bombs in Survival

trophysilver.png

trophysilverm.png
Token Hoarder

Collect 15 tokens with a single boost in Arcade
trophysilverm.png
Well Prepared

Get 20 bombs in Arcade
trophysilverm.png
Shield Blaster

Collect 5 shield tokens while already having a shield
trophysilverm.png
Scenic Route

Complete a planet without using boost
trophysilverm.png
Late Boomer

Get 15 bombs in Bomber
trophysilverm.png
Shock and Awe

Destroy 10 nukes in Endless

trophygold.png

trophygoldm.png
Multiplier Hero

Get 10x multiplier
trophygoldm.png
Split screen Co-op

Get 3 minutes of continuous Co-Op weapon boost on Segomo
*Note: There are no platinum awards available for gaining all trophies in this game.

Here's my interview with Harri Tikkanen, of Housemarque, on SSHD:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/794/794165p1.html

And the reviews so far:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/797/797927p1.html
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/797/797913p1.html

Here's some footage done by TTP showing off some gameplay from the retail code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MOM03B7H
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3GDKPJG0

So yeah, so far this game is pretty incredible. Read the interview on some of the tech at work here...especially the way the asteroids crumble as you shoot them.

starzoom.jpg

There's a closeup on the destruction...it's pretty awesome when you've got a ton of debris running at 60fps with tons of enemies flying down to kill you. Strike that, it's incredibly awesome.

If you own a PS3, you absolutely must buy this game.

stardust2.jpg

stardust3.jpg

What sets it apart from the rest?

There are several things, though the easiest to name off the bat are graphics (pretty damn slick and easily the best looking twin-stick shooter on any platform) and the progression system (five unlockable planets, each with a unique set of enemies and challenges).

There are three weapons you can choose from on the fly: the Rock Crusher (dot-shot rounds that are the norm for this kind of game, such as Blast Factor), the Ice Splitter (a laser-like shot that tears apart enemies rather nicely) and the Gold Melter (think a laser-lasso that's magnetic to anything around it...really, really great.)

Each weapon has it's advantages and strengths...for instance, if you're surrounded by glaciers you'd obviously choose the Ice Splitter. But then when some enemies land on the planet that are immune to this weapon, you have to decide...should I run away and get rid of all the debris first, or take on the enemy with another weapon while dodging the rocks?

You can also upgrade your weapons throughout the game. You start at a base of 8% on each weapon...as you collect powerups specific to your weapon, you get an increased percentage till you hit 100% (it increases the number of rounds shot at a time, the speed of the weapon, etc.)

But back to the Gold Melter...this weapon is really awesome.

stardustlasso.jpg

Once you get it long enough, you can move the thumbstick clockwise as fast as possible to create a lasso-like hula hoop of death that kills anything in it's path. Well, except for enemies that aren't much bothered by the Gold Melter, but honestly it's one of the coolest weapons I've seen in a twin-stick shooter.

The other maneuvers are the bomb (blast anything in the screen with a big explosion...nothing new here) and the boost. The boost is really awesome...you turn your ship into a speeding bullet, destroying anything in it's path and getting yourself out of an insane situation. Sometimes instead of shooting a rock, I just boost right into it. Be sure there's not too much debris on the other side though...or you could land right on top of something. :lol

I'm going to try some co-op tonight, but so far I have no problem in saying this is the best shooter available on next-gen consoles so far (and yes, I've logged in many hours of GW). It pounds Blast Factor into the dirt, that's for sure.

stardust4.jpg

stardust5.jpg

stardust6.jpg

stardust7.jpg

Edit 4/14/08: New Solo Expansion now available in the NEW PLAYSTATION STORE!

calder said:
The new modes are Endless (play endlessly with random attack waves), Survival (survive as long as you can in an endless shower of indestructible space probes), Bomber (armed only with bombs, try to score as many points as you can) and Time Attack (play one planet as fast as you can)

ShinNL

I don't have a PS3 but I like quirky games like these :(
(too lazy to download the videos though, someone youtube it?)

Tieno

AltogetherAndrews said:
Is there a demo for this?
I thought there would be, but there's not. I don't want to buy this without a demo first, but I have a feeling I'll cave when it's up on PAL PSN.

tanod

when is my burrito
chubigans said:

ZOMFG(!%!)(#^%(!&^%#(!^#(%^!(#%&^(#&%@(&%(@$%($Y$@*%Y@)*%&@)#*%&

*passes out*

*wakes up* HOLY CRAP!

I am so going broke this week. Darkness, Sigma, SSD HD, Gripshift (finally making the plunge), Resistance maps, maybe Go Puzzle.

Holy Cow.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Saw you were in the Top 10 for a few moments there, Chubs. B-Ri is still representing GAF, but for how long?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BUY A SUPERSTARDUST HD, and support ex-Amiga dev scene.

Oh BTW, our friend TTP has scored something insane like 46.000.000 in this game the other day when he was playing his review copy, and he was better than even the QA people on that list. So don't think that just by scoring something on the commercial release list you are the best on GAF.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I thought there would be, but there's not. I don't want to buy this without a demo first, but I have a feeling I'll cave when it's up on PAL PSN.
You'll want this for the eye candy alone, even if you hate the game with all your guts (which I just can't see being possible, but just saying)

Prince of Space said:
Is this supposed to be PSN's Geometry Wars? Looks ****ing amazing.
No, it's supposed to be a remake of an awesome shooter from Amiga :)

Blast-whateverisname is "PS3's Geometry Wars" (except not as good)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Game is amazing.

Start up menu music is awesome too :p

pswii60

It's so good but it's the first game ever to make me feel motion sick. Got 1.7m so far - someones already got over 100m on leaderboards.

mr_nexus

Banned
On an unrelated matter, Ziggy Stardust just started playing in my earphones as soon as a clicked on the thread. :lol

tanod

when is my burrito
mr_nexus said:
On an unrelated matter, Ziggy Stardust just started playing in my earphones as soon as a clicked on the thread. :lol

Yeah, but was it in HD? Otherwise it doesn't count.:D

vdo

Wollan said:

From that article:

cooperative gameplay with two players on a single console is supported and it's a tantalising glimpse at what could've been

I am glad cooperative gameplay is there - many games only concentrate on online multiplayer and forget about the offline coop. Games that do have multiplayer should not forget about offline coop and I hope future games keep putting in that capability.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Something is wacko with the scoreboard. I'm at 401k and that's 167th place, but the person ahead of me only has 363k.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The game certainly has a few fundamental similarities to GW in structure: the point multiplier system, arena twin-stick shooting. But it's got its own thing going with the seek and pulverize asteroid bash which feels more like you're on the hunt than in GW.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Don't play this game in surround sound with the volume all the way up.

If you do that, your brain may melt. Fair warning.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The smoke effect coming out of the destroyed "thrusts" of the UFO like boss weren't there in the review code.

Keeps getting better and better :D

wow at the guy that did 100.000.000 +. But I'll katch him. I'm right there in the 2nd place.

So how is the difficulty? I mean, I expect it to be difficult to succeed, but could it still offer some enjoyment for those of us who aren't very good at this type of game?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AltogetherAndrews said:
So how is the difficulty? I mean, I expect it to be difficult to succeed, but could it still offer some enjoyment for those of us who aren't very good at this type of game?

Sure, but there are no continues. So u wont get to unlock all the planet (and meet the final boss) if u dont get better.

It's doesnt get as hard as GW can get tho. At least not till the 2nd playthrough.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Too bad Doom Bringer is baned forever, as he would cry his eyes out of joy for us to see, for this game has a weapon that pretty much shoots raw sparks into asteroids, which are in self made of some kind of volumetric 3D particle object trickery.

kaching said:
The game certainly has a few fundamental similarities to GW in structure: the point multiplier system, arena twin-stick shooting.
I'm relatively sure the original SSD had point multiplier system, but it's true, they changed the controls to twin-stick system, whereas the old game wasn't like that. But GW also wasn't the first game to use the dual direction system either, and the two games really look nothing alike other than that.

Top Bottom