• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Stardust HD Thread (my eyes burn from the amazing!)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Y2Kev said:
um yea how do you score so much :lol

Staying alive!

And trying to chain Point pickups while boosting ;)
If you have score multiplayer at like 8x you do crazy scores (and gain extra ships).

Remember to use the right weapon with a given enemy/asteroids.

Blu enemies (or enemies that have something blu on them): Ice Splitter
Red enemies (or enemies that have something red on them) : Gold Melter
Green enemies (or enemies that have something green on them): Rock Crusher

As for the asteroids, name of the weapon tells you everything u need to know.

teepo

i didn't think the graphics would be so amazing. watching the asteroids crumble and react to the direction and angle your shooting it at is mind blowing. i thought this was going to be some simple fun geometry wars clone like blast factor but in fact, from the hour i just played, it's better. talk about beating expectations.

and i got to 24th(?) place in the rankings. i know by then time i come back to work i'll be in the 1,000ths but still.

pacman ce got competition for best arcade title.

Crisis

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
bullchocolate

no download can EVER be slower than GTHD back in January

I didn't have a PS3 back in January so I can't compare it, but I've been downloading this ****ing thing for over an hour, and I'm at 46%/139MB as of this writing. Definitely the slowest download I've experienced on my PS3 so far.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just broke through 1 mil. I'm getting it now. This game is like...a total acid trip. You are zooming around and colors are exploding and this techno music is so unbelievably loud and you can boost and create these super colorful chains and the BIG GIANT EARTH BALL is glowing underneath it :lol

chubigans said:
Oh yes, this game is just plain awesome. I think we have our PSN GOTY right here.

http://www.vertigogaming.net/PSP/stardust1.jpg[IMG]

[b]Platform: PS3 (Games for Playstation Network)
Release: Out now in NA
Price: $7.99
Players: 1-2 player local co-op, online leaderboards[/b]

Here's my interview with Harri Tikkanen, of Housemarque, on SSHD:
[url]http://ps3.ign.com/articles/794/794165p1.html[/url]

And the reviews so far:
[url]http://ps3.ign.com/articles/797/797927p1.html[/url]
[url]http://ps3.ign.com/articles/797/797913p1.html[/url]

Here's some footage done by TTP showing off some gameplay from the retail code:
[url]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MOM03B7H[/url]
[url]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3GDKPJG0[/url]

So yeah, so far this game is pretty incredible. Read the interview on some of the tech at work here...especially the way the asteroids crumble as you shoot them.

[img]http://www.vertigogaming.net/PSP/starzoom.jpg[img]

There's a closeup on the destruction...it's pretty awesome when you've got a ton of debris running at 60fps with tons of enemies flying down to kill you. Strike that, it's incredibly awesome.

If you own a PS3, you absolutely must buy this game.

[IMG]http://www.vertigogaming.net/PSP/stardust2.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vertigogaming.net/PSP/stardust3.jpg[IMG]

[B]What sets it apart from the rest?[/B]

There are several things, though the easiest to name off the bat are graphics (pretty damn slick and easily the best looking twin-stick shooter on any platform) and the progression system (five unlockable planets, each with a unique set of enemies and challenges).

There are three weapons you can choose from on the fly: the Rock Crusher (dot-shot rounds that are the norm for this kind of game, such as Blast Factor), the Ice Splitter (a laser-like shot that tears apart enemies rather nicely) and the Gold Melter (think a laser-lasso that's magnetic to anything around it...really, really great.)

Each weapon has it's advantages and strengths...for instance, if you're surrounded by glaciers you'd obviously choose the Ice Splitter. But then when some enemies land on the planet that are immune to this weapon, you have to decide...should I run away and get rid of all the debris first, or take on the enemy with another weapon while dodging the rocks?

You can also upgrade your weapons throughout the game. You start at a base of 8% on each weapon...as you collect powerups specific to your weapon, you get an increased percentage till you hit 100% (it increases the number of rounds shot at a time, the speed of the weapon, etc.)

But back to the Gold Melter...this weapon is really awesome.

[img]http://www.vertigogaming.net/PSP/stardustlasso.jpg[img]

Once you get it long enough, you can move the thumbstick clockwise as fast as possible to create a lasso-like hula hoop of death that kills anything in it's path. Well, except for enemies that aren't much bothered by the Gold Melter, but honestly it's one of the coolest weapons I've seen in a twin-stick shooter.

The other maneuvers are the bomb (blast anything in the screen with a big explosion...nothing new here) and the boost. The boost is really awesome...you turn your ship into a speeding bullet, destroying anything in it's path and getting yourself out of an insane situation. Sometimes instead of shooting a rock, I just boost right into it. Be sure there's not too much debris on the other side though...or you could land right on top of something. :lol

I'm going to try some co-op tonight, but so far I have no problem in saying this is the best shooter available on next-gen consoles so far (and yes, I've logged in many hours of GW). It pounds Blast Factor into the dirt, that's for sure.

[IMG]http://www.vertigogaming.net/PSP/stardust4.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vertigogaming.net/PSP/stardust5.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vertigogaming.net/PSP/stardust6.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vertigogaming.net/PSP/stardust7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Awesome thank chubigans and TTP for the footage! :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, the key is to stay alive. As dumb as it sounds, gotta build those multipliers. Almost to 2 mil :D :D :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
WasabiKing said:
if the folks who made SSHD is listening, I'd pay another $10 for online co-op and voice chat

Sony is really pushing devs to create extra content for their PSN games post-release (as seen with Blast Factor and the eventual Gripshift/flOw content), so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see this down the line.

tha_con

Banned
WasabiKing said:
if the folks who made SSHD is listening, I'd pay another $10 for online co-op and voice chat

This should be quoted nearly 700 times for emphasis, another 800 times for good measure, and another 2,000 times to make sure it happens.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
WasabiKing said:
10 bucks? The game doesn't even cost 10 bucks, and all they need to do is add netcode.

Let's get real people, it's out of control wants like this that makes microtransactions work. We'll be forever nickeled and dimed if we're willing to accept game patches for money.

Like the people who made this game didn't sit down and talk about releasing this game without the online aspect, but to release it later at a price...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Marconelly said:
I'm relatively sure the original SSD had point multiplier system, but it's true, they changed the controls to twin-stick system, whereas the old game wasn't like that. But GW also wasn't the first game to use the dual direction system either, and the two games really look nothing alike other than that.
I know, but a couple of people were asking in relation to GW, which stands to reason since it's probably the best contemporary example to compare it to. Or at least start to compare it to...

Y2Kev said:
Just broke through 1 mil. I'm getting it now. This game is like...a total acid trip. You are zooming around and colors are exploding and this techno music is so unbelievably loud and you can boost and create these super colorful chains and the BIG GIANT EARTH BALL is glowing underneath it :lol
Damn I need this game :lol Sounds awesome!
Crisis said:
I didn't have a PS3 back in January so I can't compare it, but I've been downloading this ****ing thing for over an hour, and I'm at 46%/139MB as of this writing. Definitely the slowest download I've experienced on my PS3 so far.
After watching that footage I have to say everyone with a PS3 and a credit card should be downloading this game Right NOW!
:D
AltogetherAndrews said:
"Interesting" indeed
Lol poor Doom.

dfyb

Banned
so you're more likely to get an upgrade if you destroy something quicker right? any way to guarantee one? are you guys even worrying about producing upgrade points or are you just concentrating on not getting hit?

Finally something to actually play on my PS3 besides FOLDING @ Home. Thought I might have to wait for Ninja Gaiden, but I'm glad this game came out. Downloading now. :D

Definitely recommended. Pure old school gaming action in beautiful HD. Although the scores people are already getting is a little depressing.

Greg

PSN pisses me off.
PSN is shit.
PSN is ****ing stupid.

I have 2.99 in my account right now, and this game is 7.99. Oh, add 5 bucks and problem solved, right? Wrong - the nice little tax 'bonus' puts it over the mark.

Oh, what was that - add the exact amount? Yeah, I would, but that would actually make sense! I'm a cheapass, no denying, but that doesn't mean I should have to put an extra 5 bucks in my account in order to pay for 50 cents worth of tax.

tanod

when is my burrito
Greg said:
PSN pisses me off.
PSN is shit.
PSN is ****ing stupid.

I have 2.99 in my account right now, and this game is 7.99. Oh, add 5 bucks and problem solved, right? Wrong - the nice little tax 'bonus' puts it over the mark.

Oh, what was that - add the exact amount? Yeah, I would, but that would actually make sense! I'm a cheapass, no denying, but that doesn't mean I should have to put an extra 5 bucks in my account in order to pay for 50 cents worth of tax.

I never have any extra money in my wallet. After I put all the stuff in my cart, I go to the checkout screen and THEN, put the money in my wallet when prompted to avoid any surprises like that.

methane47

Greg said:
PSN pisses me off.
PSN is shit.
PSN is ****ing stupid.

I thought you didn't need to add any money to your wallet to buy stuff on the PSN

Greg said:
PSN pisses me off.
PSN is shit.
PSN is ****ing stupid.

I just let the wallet take care of it. No manual adds necessary.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Greg said:
PSN pisses me off.
PSN is shit.
PSN is ****ing stupid.

Wow overreaction FTL. :lol

AltogetherAndrews said:
And this relates to Super Stardust HD how?
I was trying to make a new thread then I did, but of coarse it's already been posted like half of the threads I've started. >_<

Sry didn't even mean to put it in here in the first place.

Steroyd said:
No don't it's already been posted...

probably too late oh well.
They locked it up fast I need to search better/more times.

Sry for that little derailment.

dfyb

Banned
Greg said:
PSN pisses me off.
PSN is shit.
PSN is ****ing stupid.

i have it set to add the right amount whenever i buy something. makes buying stuff a breeze and i don't have extra money sitting in my wallet doing nothing.

I honestly would pay an extra $10, cause I'm karazy. But adding online-coop would make it all the more fun.

#9 as of this post.

Greg

If you have any money in your account, it won't allow you to purchase the item for the exact amount. Problem is, the minute you purchase something without the exact amount, unless by some ridiculous odds, you will always have money in your account due to taxes.

captive said:
Wow overreaction FTL.
No, not overreacting at all - I have books to buy for the next summer semester that starts soon. Sorry I like to conserve my money - last I checked, college kids didn't have money freely flowing out of their pockets.

lynux3

Greg said:
PSN pisses me off.
PSN is shit.
PSN is ****ing stupid.

You've bought PSN games before, right? Next time think about what you're doing before doing it.

Overreaction FT-***ing-L.

Beautiful HD graphics aside, I'm surprised no one is mentioning the awesome Amiga MOD inspired music. Well done chip music is always welcome.

Top Bottom